z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Forgotten Family Trip

by tammy777


Sitting all alone in my room, going through some old books having some sweet flashback of my family trips are some of the things I enjoy. People wonder how can someone be alone all the time but I guess the more quality time I spend with me the more I get closer to myself. I see my friends taking delight in enjoying small talks but usually I find it a boring task. Having a glass of wine with some old movies make my time special. Sunrises, sunsets, calm beaches, cool breeze are something which I miss when I’m alone. I am always surrounded with some weird friends who try to make me feel special but somehow, all their sweet efforts get in vain. I love watching kids playing all alone, giggling, talking in their own language and whatsoever.

Today I found some pictures of our family trip to Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India and I again lost myself in the memory of our family trip. Till today I have a vivid memory of monkey scratch on my hand. I enjoyed the para-ceiling at Panchmari Hill. I remember my first cruise travel and last but not the least my memorable trip to Kanha forest and Bandhavgarh national park. Though, unfortunately we didn’t come across with any tigers. We enjoyed some quick sites of barking deer, bisons, peacock, and some birds except tigers. Forest was in fact turned out to be a Deer Park. We also had been to Bee False which was about 800 metres deep down. Though being a patient with spine issues I struggled a lot to climb up the small mountain but all my tiredness lost with a glass of lemonade. I remember the suicide point known as Handi Kho, a name given after the suicide of Mr.Handi. Also, Reej cave, a cave famous for reej or bear. It has been said that at nigh bears come over and take shelter in that cave and again leave that place as soon as the sun rises. There was a deep jungle at the end of the cave where the visitors are not allowed. I and my sister desperately would have gone there if the guide had allowed us. One of the loveliest spot we visited was ‘Marble Rocks’. It was a boat trip and the guides were funny because the way they explained the whole history of rocks and stories associated with them through poems and songs. The river was full of marble rocks with lots of twist and turns. Also, Dhuandhar falls adds much more excitement. The view from the ropeway made the trip lovely.

I love adventures but mostly I enjoy travel writing. I apologize for not giving enough details as this trip is all about a year ago. So, I hardly have any clear picture of it. But today I realize to preserve this memory by my words. May be, probably many years later when I’ll be around fifty will soon come across with the picture of the trip again this writing would help me up to keep my memory alive. This year we have planned to travel to Gwalior, Jhansi, Bundelkhand and Orcha, again a sweet trip to Madhya Pradesh. Let’s see what memorable moments again I will come up with.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:53 am
Mea wrote a review...



Hey tammy! I thought I'd drop by and review this today.

Funnily enough, we've been studying travel writing in English class, so hopefully I can be of some help.

The thing with travel writing and writing about yourself in general is that your life is way more detailed and complicated than could ever be fully shown in any travel piece, and of course it doesn't really have a theme. So good travel writers have to deliberately pick and choose anecdotes to construct a theme. That's the artificial part of travel writing - you choose what you show to the audience and what theme you're building around.

Right now, I can think of a couple of interesting themes from what you have here. The main one is a theme of memory and how we forget details over time, but then others are burned into your memory. I think you could take that and run with it. Create the world you remember in the reader's head - and then draw attention to the gaps, to the places where your memory has slipped.

But overall, format this more like a story. The best travel writing is written like a short story or a novel, but with generally less dialogue. It's not a list of the places you saw and the things you did - it's much more comparable to writing a short story than a journal entry. With journal entries, the point is usually to trigger the memories of the event - with travel writing, you have to create the whole experience for the reader.

So more detail is the biggest thing here. Pick a couple of the things you remember doing and spin it into a lush, exciting tale.

Hope this helped! Good luck, and keep writing!




tammy777 says...


Thanks i will check it out. But i hardly remember anything . thanks for your suggestion



User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:54 am
Dracula wrote a review...



Hey there, tammy777. Is this based on a real holiday you went on, or is it fictional? I always find personal recounts interesting, so I thought I'd check this out. :D

But I guess the more quality time I spend with me the more I get closer to myself.
I can relate to this one hundred percent! I'm sure a lot of us writers can, to be completely honest. It's great how you started your short story (recount, journal entry, whatever you'd like me to call it) with some introductory sentences. It helps to get to know the narrator before diving in.

I and my sister desperately would have gone there if the guide had allowed us. One of the loveliest spot we visited was ‘Marble Rocks’.
There are quite a few small grammar errors in this piece, but the effort you've put into writing this really shows through, because they are only little things. I think it's just a case of practice makes perfect. Keep writing and your English will improve. To help, I'll point out a couple errors in the above sentence. Firstly, you should talk about others before yourself. So it should say my sister and I desperately.... In that second sentence, you mentioning 'one' spot out of many. Since you're talking about lots, a plural, you need to say the loveliest spots we visited instead of just 'spot'.

Preserving your memories by writing them down is an excellent idea. :) Keep doing that, and thanks for sharing it with the community!




tammy777 says...


Thank you so much. Yeah i realized my silly grammatical mistakes . Thank u



tammy777 says...


it's real. i still have the impression of monkey scratch on my left hand.




It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.
— Mark Twain