Mother Earth

by smokeyyyy

A collective bloom of existence and continuation

tainted by the material of humanity

Optimism rediscovered by reality

soon we are left with nothing but matter

happy or not, we exist even if nothing matters

Our reckless streak pushed our Mother to a withering state

Gasping for her last breaths, hoping so desperately

Soon we may find that we only live because of her

And that we simply cannot live without her

Bottles on beaches, glass and bleaches

colors devoid, roots are rotting

Soon the tree will fall, and so will the crows nested above

A cesspool of disease and decay forming in the contents of what it used to be

We, the crows

clever and opportunistic

Sucking every single sliver of life

From the place that once provided for us

little monsters floating about on a crippled, lifeless asteroid

Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:51 pm
creaturefeature wrote a review...

'Ello there!

There's a lot of crow imagery, and I don't know if that is something that is a symbol relating to Mother Earth, or just what worked best in the poem. In a way, it's a little like it was stuffed in to be a bit of filler. There's beaches, roots, trees, and then crows. If this is about air pollution and how it's affecting birds, maybe reworking that would be better, because I am confused.

Another meaning I could get out of that is that it's a reference to people who destroy Earth. I mainly get this from "Sucking every single sliver of life," but that could also just be relating to how crows are omens of bad luck to some people. Although, in what I was told to believe, crows mean that you will transform into a better person and change will find you.

We, the crows

clever and opportunistic

Sucking every single sliver of life

This imagery. Yessss, I love it!

Anyway, good job!

- Lum

smokeyyyy says...

Sorry for the late reply, been busy the past couple of days...
Thanks for the review! The crow imagery is sort of the idea that humans are like crows, abusing earth and it%u2019s resources, as well as it%u2019s limits for temporary gain without looking to the future and realizing that we, the crows, live on top of the tree. So, if we kill the tree, we are likely to die too.
Just about how certain people take resources from the earth without any regard for other life.

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:29 pm
GaneshShenoy says...

The author's love for nature and fear of her destruction narrated in a lovely way. Yes, we cannot live without her because we are part of her. As you have mentioned we are opportunistic and exploit our mother for temporary gains.

smokeyyyy says...

Yes, that was indeed the effect I intended; to display the fact that we all leech of earth for temporary gain, but will soon realize that the only reason we are living is due to earth's existence.
Thank you for the comment!

Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:17 pm
Haileyg21 wrote a review...

Ok. I noticed that you don't have any reviews. SO here i am. The lovely theo to review your poem. Its random i know but whatevs.
You poem hold the words hidden under our skin. "We, the crows

clever and opportunistic

Sucking every single sliver of life

little monsters floating about on a crippled, lifeless asteroid"
THis is literally the truth about us. (not being mean to anyone)
It takes a amazing person to be able to word this and be so true and Honestly this was amazing and i would read it again and again.

smokeyyyy says...

Thank you very much for the great review. I really appreciate any support I can get! :)

Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:34 am
rida says...

Wow! Amazing poem! I really liked it!

smokeyyyy says...

Thank you very much for taking a look!

Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:20 am
smokeyyyy says...

thanks for reading <3 :D

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.
— RazorSharpPencil