z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Red Light

by silverlady99


The red light defines the stop sign 

 in the night of life.

But there is no stop sign for the darkness 

pervading my mind.

With the depression sinking it's preventing me

from seeing the blinking light.

The light may shimmer but the hope dwindles because  

it's all too  far for me to envision.

As I stand in my storm of isolation surrounded by 

a dark wave of depression

With  just  nothingness  in my line of sight

I ask myself 

Is this what loneliness feels like?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 159
Reviews: 15

Donate
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:49 pm
jessegrey wrote a review...



For some reason, the word "pervading" completely threw me off and I had to Google it haha. So thank you for the vocab lesson. I absolutely love "storm of isolation", I really feel like it accurately portrays the deafening noise of being alone perfectly. Overall, a wonderfully thought provoking poem. Great job!




User avatar
118 Reviews


Points: 18525
Reviews: 118

Donate
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:37 am
PastelSlushie wrote a review...



Hello, silverlady99! PastelSlushie here for a review! Let's get right into it!

First comment: While, I did absolutely adore this poem, I feel like this should have a 12+ warning on it, for talking about sensitive topics such as depression. It may seem a little unnecessary, but you don't really want someone with depression stumbling upon this without a warning.

Second comment: For the actual poem itself, as I have said before, I absolutely adored it. It talked about a very relatable topic of which millions of people can relate to. And that's something that every piece of writing needs, no matter how long or short. Good job on that part. I also love how you referenced the stop sign in this, I've never seen that before.

Third comment: In one line, "With just nothingness in my line of sight," you have added extra spaces in the beginning, make sure to change that to just one. Maybe add some commas too?

Well, that's the end of this review. I'm sorry if I seemed harsh in anyway you didn't like. Keep writing!

Pastel




User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 102
Reviews: 38

Donate
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:36 am
ElvenJedi wrote a review...



Heya, this is Jedi here for a review!

First of all, I really enjoyed this poem, it wasn't boring and it was very poetic and had a very strong mood, so great job on that! Now onto some critique.

The red light defines the stop sign

in the night of life.

A red light doesn't define a stop sign. It defines a traffic light. So maybe say "The red glare defines the stoplight" instead? Just a suggestion.

But there is no stop sign for the darkness

pervading my mind.

With the depression sinking it's preventing me

from seeing the blinking light.

Wonderful use of pervading, it describes it perfectly. There's a sense of panic going on here, dread, fear of darkness. You have a fantastic vocabulary and your choice of words really enhances this piece.
The light may shimmer but the hope dwindles because

it's all too far for me to envision.

I don't quite understand whats going on here though, maybe it could be made a bit clearer. What I got from it is the mc is being swallowed up into depression and dark thoughts, and this emphasizes that there is no stopping, or no stop sign, for the depression and darkness. So what do you mean "it's all too far for me to envision" because in the next line you're surrounded by the darkness, so WHAT is too far to envision? the end of depression, or the beginning? I think this could use a tiny bit of clarification by replacing "it" with a different word.

Also I think the word "shimmer" could be replaced with a better word? Shimmer is a soft light, but I'd think this would be more glaring, as it is a light in a darkness in the poem.

As I stand in my storm of isolation surrounded by

a dark wave of depression

With just nothingness in my line of sight

I ask myself

Is this what loneliness feels like?

The ending line isn't very original, and I feel like the poem deserves a more powerful last line to justify it. Maybe for the ending line mention something about the red light to tie together the piece? Just a suggestion.

This is overall a very powerful piece, and depression is a common topic for poetry but you definitely had a very original take on it, absolutely beautiful. I hope you find this review helpful and I hope to see more of your works soon, keep writing!




User avatar
265 Reviews


Points: 16
Reviews: 265

Donate
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:30 am
myjaspercat wrote a review...



Hey there Silverlady99,
Myjaspercat here to leave you a review

Line-by-Line/Nit-Picks

The red light defines the stop sign [comma]
in the night of life. I like this but the wording is just a little weird
But there is no stop sign for the darkness
pervading my mind.
With the depression sinking [comma] it's preventing me I would actually change this last part to something along the lines of "I'm prevented." As it's just a suggestion, you don't have to but I think it would totally help the flow of this line a bit.
from seeing the blinking light.
The light may shimmer[comma] but the hope dwindles because
it's all too far for me to envision. Mmm, I'm not particularly fond of this line. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't read quite well with the rest of the poem.
As I stand in my storm of isolation This image is pretty cliché. surrounded by
a dark wave of depression[comma]
With just nothingness in my line of sight With should be lowercased here or you need to add a period at the end of the previous line (which I don't recommend as I think it should be a comma instead.)
I ask myself [comma]
Is this what loneliness feels like? Again this is kind of cliché but it's not bad.


Overall
For the most part I think you have a pretty solid piece here. The ideas were jumping around from being ok to being slightly cliché but it wasn't bad enough to cause me to dislike the work. Anyway, the line-by-line pretty much sums up all my suggestions. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck and continue writing.




User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 5274
Reviews: 66

Donate
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:27 am
iamanaspiringwriter wrote a review...



Hey there silverlady99! Welcome back to YWS!

So, after through the poem once, I felt the need to read it again. It wasn't connecting for me, so I thought maybe I was missing something. I think that you were trying to create something with the traffic devices, but for me it didn't fully materialize. You started down that path, and I thought, "I wonder where they are going to take it?"

By the end of the poem, the traffic devices weren't even referred to. It seemed like a disconnect for me. The poem didn't tie together. A side note: I didn't get the meaning of the first line. Might just be me.

I thought some of your images were good and created a calm feeling that is often associated with loneliness.

From the beginning lines to the second to last, I thought you were going down a depression path, and then the last line, you mentioned loneliness instead. Maybe incorporate more clues about the speaker being lonely? I didn't get that many clues from the previous lines.

That's all I've got for now. I'm glad you're back and writing! Thanks for sharing this poem!

~iamanaspiringwriter




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 382
Reviews: 16

Donate


cron
I don't do time.
— Liberty