The Letter to the Guide (Part 3)

by saadamansayyed

Susan Peterson,

210, Bremen St

Boston, MA - 02128

The Guide,

1612, Columbia Rd

Boston, MA - 02127

Aug 8th, 1989

Dear Guide,

I received your letter. I have started writing a diary. It still hurts to know my sister is not with me anymore. Reflections of her come into my eyes every so often, and it's not like I’ve been talking to many people or eating well.

I have to admit, I have grown a certain distrust with your book. I forced myself to hate that book. I started thinking, ‘this stupid kids’ book isn’t going to help me get ahead of this’ after I started visiting my friends. I mean, the way we snapped together — me and Kathy, that’s been missing for the past few days. All my friends tell me is they’re so sorry and so sympathetic for me because my sister died and they think that they feel my pain. The kids who used to bully me now suddenly want to be friends with me – apparently as they were cool to have that dead girl’s sister as their friend. I don’t like this, no, it makes me sick to the bone. Why can’t they let me be on my own terms — not being reminded of my sister’s tragic and early death?

Today, as your letter came in the mail, I finally got hold of your book again. I skimmed through the pages and found nothing fun, until my fingers grabbed the fifth chapter. It was really interesting. I liked how you wrote about the girl somewhat coming to terms with being alone as is, but she still refuses to stop the search for her sister. I could see myself in her place, the woods being the many hospitals Julia’s been to — specialists of this, specialists of that, specialists of those. I never understood any of the medical words that the doctors used, but my innocent mind told me - ‘the doctor means Julia will be okay”.

I became so curious about cancers, spending hours gazing at the cancer section in the encyclopedias in the small library near me. Every book told me that the disease was fatal and whoever had it was doomed to die an early and brutal death. My tender heart was neither ready nor accepting of this idea. I should have learnt to trust the books and cry these rivers — at least I would’ve been prepared, right?

But, who can be prepared for an older sister’s death — I never was, and never will be. But, at least I have you, and I at least have Mom. But, everything around me seems superficial — like I don’t belong here. I sometimes think about helping out the world by simply ceasing to trouble the world with my presence — and it’s only who she was, my dear Julia, who’s given me the ounce of confidence to live one more day.

I understand, the world moves on and you move on. You can’t and shouldn’t expect the world to stop because you want them to. The world will be there, you will be there and you can’t change. What you can do is cherish your choices and live like its meant to be.

I’m going out more often, I think I need more fresh air as it stands.

Susan

Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:31 pm

First Impression: This is a very interesting reply here. I like that it isn't exactly overwhelming positive but rather seems to be focusing more towards actually having this person confront these horrors better and take those baby steps towards a more positive note. Its a much more realistic response this way.

Okayy that seems like an interesting little development there. The diary seems like a solid little step in a positive direction although what follows there seems like it might have been a little bit of a spiral for Susan here with her friend situation really not going towards the better side. The distaste for the book seems natural at that point even though it is a bit of a negative.

Hmm this is an interesting turn. So it seems that little spiral was happening right before the letter came and it does look like there has been a few more positive things to come from said letter since its arrival.

Oooh this is definitely turning towards the positive thing. Even as Susan here does seem to be struggling to fully cope and understand the scope of this horror, it seems she's also interested in knowing more about this disease and seems perhaps ready to learn more about its horrors and understand them better.

This definitely seems like a positive note to end on even though I am a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to necessarily be all that much for The Guide here to respond to. It doesn't seem like Susan quite wants to have a conversation here and given this doesn't seem to have any chapters beyond it, I wonder if this is where this ends.

Overall: Overall another solid followup here. I can honestly say this kind of actually works as a decent little ending. It just about final enough to be a little ending to a shorter story but it does feel like there could be more and I honestly want to see more here.

Hi Harry,
Thank you for such a positive review and sorry for the late reply! I am working on the final part (spoiler alert, it is not a letter), and it will be out later today! It is a little longer, and please do take a look at it if you can! Thanks for reading, Happy New Year!

RandomTalks wrote a review...

RandomTalks here with a short review!

I saw your work in the Green Room and decided to go read the other parts to get a better insight into the story. And I have to say, I am glad I did because otherwise I would have missed out on a really interesting story here!

First of all, let me say that I absolutely love the idea behind the story. There is something so personal about this form of narration where you are getting to read the thoughts of the narrator in the most genuine expression. It almost made me feel as if I am conversing with Susan and getting access to all those intimate thoughts of hers that she cannot really express anywhere else except to the 'guide'.

I like the fact that the story really is just about emotions - loss, grief and helplessness and how this young girl learns to navigate her life around them so that she is finally able to move on. The very tone of the letters reflect that - the attempt to confront reality in its most ugly and truthful form and learn to accept it for what it is. Even though, right now, Susan is very much holding on to the loss of her sister, the fact that she took the initiative to write to the 'guide' to seek advice shows that she really is just lonely and does not know how else to deal with it.

Now, coming to the technicalities of the review.

I have to admit, I have grown a certain distrust with your book. I forced myself to hate that book. I started thinking, ‘this stupid kids’ book isn’t going to help me get ahead of this’ after I started visiting my friends. I mean, the way we snapped together — me and Kathy, that’s been missing for the past few days.

It might just be me, but for some reason, I felt that this part was a little disjointed from the rest of the paragraph. From what I understood, Susan has been immersing herself in the book as a coping mechanism. But here I did not get the emotion she was trying to explain. Did she stop liking the book since it was meant for children? I think if we read between the lines here, we can even suppose that she probably realized how she had been using her obsession with the book as an excuse to not deal with the reality of losing her sister. Now that she is aware, she thinks that going back to her normal life and her friends would be the more productive choice.

All my friends tell me is they’re so sorry and so sympathetic for me because my sister died and they think that they feel my pain.

There is quite a bit of repetition of ideas here as the words 'sorry' and 'sympathetic' mean the same thing. Also, this is just a suggestion, but I think replacing the 'feel' with 'know' would make the sentence even more effective. "they think they know my pain," hits harder for me than "they think they feel my pain." Its totally your choice though!

I liked how you wrote about the girl somewhat coming to terms with being alone as is, but she still refuses to stop the search for her sister.

I think you missed a 'she' after 'as'. It makes better sense as "being alone as she is". However, this idea of looking for her sister as though she is simply lost and not dead, hit a cord with me. Now, I really want to know what the book is about and draw more connections that make Susan resonate so deeply with its story.

But, at least I have you, and I at least have Mom. But, everything around me seems superficial —

The use of 'but' in simultaneous sentences makes it sound a little repetitive. And I don't really think you need the first one.

The end of the letter intrigued because of the way it sounded almost like a resolution. It seems to be Susan's attempt at rationalizing and reasserting that she does indeed need to move on. And then the last sentence comes almost abruptly, as though she got suddenly too tired of her previous line of thought. I loved the effect it caused there!

Overall, this was equal parts haunting and beautiful and tragic. I definitely look forward to reading more from you!

Keep writing and have a great day! :D

Thanks for the review. I will try to fix up the grammar a bit. A little hint: The story isn't resolved (yet). There might be an interesting twist, and there's a couple more chapters before the conclusion.

Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:30 pm
Horisun wrote a review...

Hello! Sorry I'm getting to this so late. I hope you are having a good day or night!
I think I might have mentioned this in previous reviews, but I really enjoy the formatting of this. The way Susan takes us through her grief, and slowly seeing her come to terms with the death of her sisters, feels both like a natural progression and a great form of storytelling.
Some of the lines here felt a tad clunky. You used the word 'world' twice here; "I sometimes think about helping out the world by simply ceasing to trouble the world with my presence" which diminishes the otherwise heavy emotional impact of that line.
One small, slightly meta nitpick, when I went back to reference the prior chapters, I had trouble finding them. Might I recommend creating another, separate folder for this story?
But that has little to do with your actual writing. I thought this was a fantastic addition to your ongoing story, and I found myself tearing up a bit. My best friend recently lost her mother to cancer, and I've been looking for ways to support her without being overbearing, and that starts with understanding a bit more about what she's going through- so thank you.
I look forward to reading the next chapter. Keep on writing, and have a great day!

Thanx Horisun, for that kind review. There's about two more chapters before the saga concludes, and I hope to see your feedback on that soon :)

Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:02 pm
Mido says...

I love how this format of the Narrator writing a letter to someone and diving deep to see what the Narrator is going through with all the emotions they are facing i really love your wrting !!Good JOB!!

Thanks Mido!

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore