z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

B o o k R e v i e w

by rubysbookblog


The book, Flawed by Ceceila Ahern was so thought provoking!

I really enjoyed reading this book! I couldn't stop reading, and I just wanted the book to go on and on, so it never had to finish. I do want to warn YA readers about some quite violent and distressing scenes in this book, which I was quite shocked about.

This reading was a roller coaster of emotions. I loved how strongly the characters are represented. There were many of Celestine's personality traits that made her a strong leader and main character. For example, how aware she became of the prejudice, discrimination and lack of respect for the human condition, and how open minded she was, questioning authority figures and what she's be told when growing up. Celestine is also, ready to change herself as she recognizes her own prejudices against people who are 'flawed', which I thought was brilliant.

The book, Flawed is about Celestine who's a young girl living in a place where everything must be perfect, where she must be perfect. Because no one wants to be flawed, no one wants to be...branded.

Celestine finds herself in a situation where her morals and compassion put her in a situation which that now deems her flawed and blurs the lines of what flawed means. If a person happens not to be perfect, then they will be branded with an 'F' for flawed. But isn't this concept like our real lives. Aren't we all under scrutiny to be 'perfect'?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
616 Reviews


Points: 122617
Reviews: 616

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:21 am
FlamingPhoenix wrote a review...



Hello! FlamingPhoenix here with a review for you on this lovely day! And to help get your work out the green room!

Let's start.

So how funny is it that I am leaving a review on a review? XD I didn't think I would be doing this while I was here on YWS, but here goes nothing.

So you have told me a lot about this book and i am very interested to go get it and have a look at it. The plot of the story seems to be well thought out, although I would have liked you to go more into that, like the parts in the book that were a little gory, give me a little insight on that, you are reviewing a book here so you have to add as much detail into the review as you can to get your point across.
Now the way you you persevered Celestine's character was really good, I got the feeling she's strong and it capable of doing anything. And I do want to get to know her better.
Now this flawed thing you were talking about i know you talked about it a lot already, but I can't help but want to know more about it, so maybe try and add a little more into that aspect being that it is like the whole story.

But I think you become a reviewer of other people's stories one day, I think you are off to a great start, and I think I will go check out this book soon. I hope I will get to read more of your stuff soon, so never stop writing and have a great day or night.

Your friend
FlamingPhoenix!
Reviewing with a fiery passion!




User avatar


Points: 72
Reviews: 1

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:14 pm
nateherndon says...



Keep up the good work




User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:18 pm
Elinor wrote a review...



Hey Ruby!

I hope you're having a great day. My name is Elinor, and I thought that I would drop by to give you a quick review. I've not read the book in question, but, if it's effective, any well written review should make me want to (or not want to, if it's bad, but as your review is positive, it should make me want to read it.

Overall, I enjoy your writing style. It felt very conversational in nature and I appreciate that about it. I'm definitely interested in the idea that the book presents, but I did think it could have presented a little more clearly. I would have liked to have seen some expansion on the end. Why do you think the premise is timely? Are there real world examples that you can cite here? Why is Celestine a compelling character? What makes her relevant to our times? Basically, going into more depth about why the themes of the book resonated for you will go a long way. I think this is a good start, but I'd definitely like to see it expanded.

I hope this helps! Keeps writing, and please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!

Cheers,
Elinor





The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.
— Patrick Star