Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

Song Review-The Way You Felt (Alec Benjamin)

by pineapple321

Alec Benjamin

I'm a big Alec Benjamin fan. If you do not know who he is, he's a singer-songwriter from Arizona. All of his songs tell stories especially his unreleased songs which you can find on Youtube. On the news of his new song, I thought I would write a review for it. 

Recently, he released a new single called The Way You Felt. The song is basically about being led on by someone you thought loved you. The narrator thought the relationship was real but soon discovered the other person did not reciprocate the same feelings back. It goes on to the narrator feeling like an idiot and upset with the person they loved.

Though it is not relatable to me, it is relatable to other people. The song literally explains the saying "love is blind". The Way You Felt about being so in love with another person that it is like a slap in the face when they lose interest or break things off.

I really enjoyed the overall melody of the song. The beat was also great, too. My favorite part was definitely the end. There was a fadeout of vocalizing which fit perfectly.  

All in all, I give this song a 10 out of 10. I will be putting The Way You Felt on my Spotify playlists and I hope you put it on yours!

whatchamacallit wrote a review...

Hi there pineapple! I noticed your music review here has been sitting in the green room for a while, so I thought I'd drop by with a quick review for ya c:

chikara already touched on a bunch of great stuff, so I'll try not to get too repetitive ^^

I thought you did a great job of keeping this review easy to understand and relatable for anybody who listens to music, casually or otherwise. I think you structured the review nicely - I love that you explain what the song is about, some details you enjoyed about the music, and end with a quick summary and hook. You also keep your language and descriptions really positive throughout, without it feeling contrived or over the top; so definitely a good balance there!

I do think overall, some more specificity and details would make this review more convincing. Right now, for all I can really tell, The Way You Felt is just another nice, generic song about love. I went ahead and gave a listen (I definitely agree the beat was great!), so I could give some ideas on what different details/aspects of the song you could potentially highlight.

-> the first thing I noticed as the song began was, like you mentioned, the beat! I think it helps set the mood for the song as a whole and give a kind of familiar, informal vibe (it sounds a bit like someone snapping their fingers or clapping) - which might be a good detail to include in your review! There are lots of different types of love songs, so setting the expectation that this is not a loud, angsty one, nor a soft, tearful one can help give the reader a better idea of what the song's like.

-> another thing I noticed is that his voice in this one is definitely quite distinctive - very light, fairly high in pitch for a guy, and almost a bit innocent-sounding. This could be another good detail to include I think, maybe alongside your description of the melody.

-> he also uses a lot of very descriptive and slightly unusual words (ie brevity, longevity, inception) -> potentially something else you could bring up, he uses a wide and interesting vocabulary!

I hope those give you some ideas to work off of - if you disagree with my impressions/have other ideas, that's totally okay, this is your review and opinions after all ^^

Other than that, I think you do a great job of summarizing what the song's about. There are definitely a lot of themes of embarrassment/betrayal/shame/disappointment in the song! Like you say, the narrator feels "like an idiot" for falling for the other person.

I hope this review of your review proves helpful c: If you have any questions about anything I brought up, feel free to ask!

Keep writing,

whatcha

pineapple321 says...

Thank you so much for the review!

BEASTtheHUN says...

I really like Alec benjamin. He is amazing.

chikara wrote a review...

Hello there! I haven't seen a music review on YWS before~

I admire music for a lot of fluctuating reasons; it can be soothing, it can be upbeat, or it could be something completely different than those. That versatility is something that's difficult to have in most ordinary things you notice in everyday life, which is another reward.

Although, if you want to review music in any way, it's a little more complicated than just appreciating the lyrics and the artist. I'll use this helpful article to guide my general review~

The song is basically about being led on by someone you thought loved you.

I haven't listened to the song you've written about, but based on personal experience, there are many layers to being led on in a romantic relationship; was it a ghosting? was it a toxic relationship? any concrete abuse? Those are all things that happen and matter.

I could also look at your following sentence and point out it doesn't actually make sense with the observations above. If someone doesn't have feelings of affection for a person, it's quite straightforward and easy to tell before it becomes an unhealthy mess.

It goes on to the narrator feeling like an idiot and upset with the person they loved.

The usage of "upset" as a descriptive word is enough here; if you are writing a more informational work, you try to avoid more slang-like phrases. Words like "idiot" could be reworked into another version of telling that the narrator is upset though, I believe.

Though it is not relatable to me, it is relatable to other people.

Another thing about writing an information work is that you write from what is factual knowledge and what your own individual thoughts are. The "other people" in this situation are supposed to be an afterthought.

The song literally explains the saying "love is blind".

And how does this relate to you bringing up relatability and other people? It's a good sentence to work with because it can create some cool ideas and bring up evidence, but it's too distant to relate.

I could say the same with the following sentence of "The Way You Felt about being so in love with another person that it is like a slap in the face when they lose interest or break things off," which is also too distant of an idea to truly fit with the starter of that paragraph.

I find that this article from Purdue helps me figure out when I'm messing up / wrong with paragraph formatting.

I really enjoyed the overall melody of the song. The beat was also great, too.

How was the melody distinctive to that artist? How does it contrast to the basic foundation of its genre? What specifically did you like best about it? These questions also work for the beat because that's introduced.

More specificity is needed in most sections of this music review overall, and usually, that should be the main focus someone has in mind when writing anything, no matter the genre or form.

My favorite part was definitely the end. There was a fadeout of vocalizing which fit perfectly.

Yes! That mention of a fadeout fitting with the rest of the song is exactly what is needed throughout! If that kind of word choice was present in the previous sentences, I imagine I'd find the music review more thorough and possibly I'd give the song artist a listen.

I will be putting The Way You Felt on my Spotify playlists and I hope you put it on yours!

Good ending! I think it is pretty subjective and going back into the talk about keeping generally unrelated opinions out of reviews, but it wraps up everything and still remains cheerful while doing so.

I see great potential in this ~ cheers!

pineapple321 says...

Thanks so much for the review. For future articles like these, I will make sure to remember these critiques :)

*cries into coffee*
— LadyLizz