z

Young Writers Society



the wanting of words? words left wanting? living words? - title yet to be decided

by paperforest


words cannot capture the frill of fungi on a creaking tree
words cannot give me the sinew of a blue beech, the feel of it beneath bare hands and feet
words cannot sing the same way a strong wind can, roaring through the forest above you and
streaming through your hair and reddening your cheeks and ears and thighs,
                                                                                            making you feel so, so alive
so alive.

words are lies because everything else is truth,
life is truth, and birdsong and the wind and trees are truth,
and words strain and stretch and reach for it but they cannot catch it,
                  it is all lightness and touch and the
                                            shine of raindrops misting on your eyelashes,
and words cannot escape their slow heavy-footed thoughts that
pool around them like the shadows of velvet drapes,
all they can hold are hazy too-sweet honey memories, a hint of the smell of rain
and pollen and green things, but no more
not enough to satisfy, all it does is leave you wanting more

words have a magic of their own, but it is not life -
they are too full of other things to have that.
I look to words to teach me other people's memories of remembered sight
I ask for words to help me untangle hearts and give a rhythm to my jumbled thoughts, all jostling
wants and needs and wishes
I wade through words because they make me look at things and see other things,
they tell of a future and give me hope.

But like faeries, I cannot trust them, cannot
trust myself with too much of them, or I will be lulled by their heavy wishes into thinking they
have attained what they cannot, for it is a different thing to merely live than be alive, and
words are made of want,
the clutching need to hold what cannot be pinned down,
and I do not need to pine when I can lift my eyes and see and feel and be.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 54
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:49 am
ThatOneGuy2002 wrote a review...



Hey, I just wanted to say, I love this work. It actually reminds me much of my own style, concentrating a bigger meaning into a complex array of words, good job, because you did well with this. There was but one error that stuck out, I believe you meant to say "beach" rather than "beech", but this is just a minor mistake, easily overlooked. As for the title, I think (If you don't mind me stating my thoughts that is) that you should choose a title such as "Words fall short" or perhaps "Devious words". Totally up to you though. Anyways, I can't wait to hear more from you, keep up the good work.




paperforest says...


Aw, thanks! That's what I love about poetry, trying to fit big ideas into little words and images.
And actually, Blue Beech is a type of tree that's common in my area. It's also called musclewood, and looks like this:
Image
You can see why I used the word "sinew"!
And thanks for the title suggestions, I'll have to think about them!



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 1371
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:04 am
AniceMansure wrote a review...



Hi Anice here for review

When the rest of world is rooted deep in clutches of unrealisistic everything, this poem really has the core quality of being viewed as first step towards liberation. I have heard the great poet Rabindranath Tagore disliked books. He found them as things restricting the human imagination. He particularly frowned upon the traditional teaching methods. He believed real education can only be gained by stepping out and connecting with the real world, the nature. Through your poem I was once again reminded of his quotes.

Really there is no escaping words. The poems flows fluidly, no lack of striking and intriguing imagery. I think since you haven't decided the title yet this isn't the final piece. If that's the case the reminder for capitalising and punctuations can be ignored for the while.

I liked the structure of the poem. How it began with underlining all the incapabilities of word. Then suddenly when it had reached it's height you forwarded how it was still a need. But this need was restricted around bounds defined and clear. It was easily understandable and I think for me relatable as well.

I totally connected with the piece of your work. It struck me odd when the beginning appeared detached but the end had more personalized touch to it. I have nothing else on the style or words or anything. It all weaved together into an amazing and delightful piece.

Thank you for sharing such an enlightening piece with us and letting us enjoy. I will be looking forward to your next work. Hope it would be soon. And do share the completed and edited version of this with the title. ^_^




paperforest says...


Hey there, thanks for such a kind review! I've never heard of Rabindranath Tagore, I'll have to learn more about him because he sounds really interesting! You're right that it's not the final draft, but the capitalisation and punctuation is intentional here, although I now realize that I accidentally capitalized the first word of the last stanza, so I'll have to go back and see which way I like better. Was there any punctuation you noticed that made the poem not make grammatical sense? I see what you mean about it switching from being detached to being personal, I'll keep that in mind when editing. Thanks again!



AniceMansure says...


Rabindranath Tagore is better known for his Gitanjali. This was collections of poem he himself translated to English. I hope your experience reading him would be as inspring as it had been for me!



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:57 am
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi paper!

This is another seriously good poem. You have so much variety in your poetry - with rich fresh imagery every time. Let's take a look at this poem.

Stanza 1
Right from that first line, your imagery is powerful. Wow.

words cannot capture the frill of fungi on a creaking tree
words cannot give me the sinew of a blue beech, the feel of it beneath bare hands and feet
words cannot sing the same way a strong wind can, roaring through the forest above you and
streaming through your hair and reddening your cheeks and ears and thighs,
making you feel so, so alive
so alive.


I love the alliteration incorporated through every line, which makes it flow really nicely. There's also some climbing rhyme and assonance with "tree, beech, feet, streaming" and "blue, you, sinew".

I feel like this part is a tad wordy, "words cannot sing the same way a strong wind can" - could be said in fewer words, "words cannot sing as a strong wind can" - you loose some of the alliteration with the shorter version, but with it being the second line, you don't want readers to get too lost in trying to get through a single thought either.

The two things I love about your imagery here - is the specificity (you've got scientific, technical language even) and then how the imagery twists too different senses so seemlessly - this is especially present in lines 3/4.

One aspect I wasn't sure if was intentional or not - is that the last "so alive." feels so stark after all of that sweeping imagery, and with it being off set and the end punctuation - creating a dissonant feeling. Because the images above felt alive, but then the words that say "so alive" feel hollow/stark/empty - which is really interesting considering what the poem is saying about words so far.

Stanza 2
Loving where this is going. Because it's so out of the ordinary to see a poem that is about the limits of words/ because poems strive to break those limits - it's an interesting juxtaposition. You have another set of strong imagery pieces here, although some of the lines feel difficult to follow.

"life is truth, and birdsong and the wind and trees are truth," -> this line could be interpreted as "life is truth and birdsong. And wind and trees are truth" or "life is truth. And birdsong, wind, & trees are all truth" I read it the first way first, and then had to go back and correct - I'm not sure if there's a change in punctuation that could clear it up.

Your subject almost gets lost here too:
"words strain and stretch and reach for it but they cannot catch it,
it is all lightness and touch and the " -- and in the last line of this stanza you say "all it does is leave you wanting more" -- so it becomes unclear if "it" is words or truth or both, or if the poem is maybe purposely deceptive there.

Stanza 3
"people's memories of remembered sight " <- this was a bit redundant.
Stanza 3 also felt a bit too meandering, like as a reader I wanted to clearly see the contrast between what words are and what they aren't, and the speaker says words aren't truth, aren't alive, aren't satisfying, but are full of different things instead. But it was sort of difficult to piece together all of what words were contrasingly full of; memories, feelings?, ways to look and see, hope?. This was a difficult stanza - because at first it looks like the poem is a negative portrayal of what words are, but by the end it seems like words actually have a lot of benefit too - so as a reader you have to do a mental swap.

I'm wondering if there's some word that could sum all that up or connect those threads a bit more clearly - because I think the concept is really solid, but it's hard to grasp on a first and second read-through. It seems like the thing that ties them altogether is that words are intangible, that at the end of the day it's almost like they're just in your thoughts or imaginary, unlike the physical world that the words represent.

Stanza 4
I felt like the fairy imagery kind of came out of nowhere, which is maybe purposeful, but the whole poem felt so rooted in concrete imagery and an almost academic/philosophic look at words that the jump to fairies is a little jolting.

I do think this stanza begins to pull together some of the strands from the stanza 3, but I wonder if it could connect back to some of the initial imagery too.

This line alone though is really thought provoking, "it is a different thing to merely live than be alive, and words are made of want," -- wow that's powerful and intriguing.

Overall Message
As I mentioned in the stanza through stanza, I felt at times the meaning was a bit difficult to grasp - but I think any reader should be able to take away a general concept of what this poem is about. I interpreted the poem to mean that the speaker feels a person ought to be somewhat cautious with words because they're alluring and helpful, but ultimately not real or tangible - we need to experience more than just the intangible but also live. Words can even be extended as a metaphor for other things in life that are intangible, and even a metaphor for poetry itself - which is really interesting!

I love that you tackled this sort of highly conceptual philosophic idea, but the poem is also rooted in imagery - so that even if the reader doesn't what it's about they're going to still walk away thinking, "man, that's a beautiful poem" - writing at multiple levels is always a good strategy I think. You could incorporate a bit more imagery in the last two stanzas - I realize it's difficult - because what would "intangible imagery" even look like?! But it did feel a little lighter than the first two stanzas.

Formatting
You did a lot of clever formatting in the first two, and then the second two chunks also were more plain. I think that there were a few lines you could have drawn attention to like you did with "so alive" - for instance "but it is not life" // this repetition of "alive vs not alive" is in the last stanza two - and I wonder if you could have off-set those two lines alone to highlight this continuity of theme. The winding look of stanza two - totally worked with the content.

Throughout the piece you had a really thoughtful use of linebreaks that forced the reader to pay attention to different interesting words, and the enjambment kept me winding to the next line. I noted the few places in stanza 2 where I thought the flow was iffy, but besides those, the flow was really nice for this piece.

Well done! This was an enjoyable read! Let me know if you had any questions about my review. :)

~alliyah

Go Team Frozen!!

Image




paperforest says...


Thank you for pointing out so many specific things! I'll definitely think about those when editing (and I'm for sure editing this one). The "so alive" thing wasn't conscious, but now that you mention it I think I was unconsciously going for what you described. I wrote this all out of order, so maybe it would be more effective/make more sense at the end? You're absolutely right about the "it"s in stanza 2, the last one is actually referring to words so it should at the very least have been "they". In the "memories of remembered sight" I was trying to put more layers between words and reality, but I should phrase that better. And the fairy thing was trying to refer back to the words having a magic of their own, but I guess I'd have to strengthen that connection or just change it to something more on topic. And I'll continue the formatting for the second two stanzas - I was originally just trying to break up overly-long lines in a way that looked right, but now that I'm aware of it I can do it more purposefully. Thanks again, this was a really helpful review!



alliyah says...


You're welcome! That's interesting that you wrote it out of order, because it definitely flowed together really well logically - sometimes writing things out of order creates such an interesting effect.



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 478
Reviews: 16

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:42 am
ThePenultimateGinger wrote a review...



Hello! Ginger here with a review. Not too many suggestions, this poem shows mastery in pretty much all categories! It's powerful adjectives, clever rhythm, and smooth similes demonstrate a strong knowledge of structure and keep the audience interested. I don't have much to critique on this - which says a lot, because I am a very nit-picky person - but where you say "I wade through words because they make me look at things and see other things,/they tell of a future and give me hope," one of the "things" can be eliminated to add clarity/make the writing more professional. One of my pet peeves is punctuation, and I get that poems make very different usage of it than ordinary writing so I wouldn't even listen to myself here, but I would either make all of the beginning letters of stanzas capitalised. Overall, I really enjoyed experiencing this poem and I've spent over 15 minutes trying to find a fault to attack so you've done very well!
Hoping this finds you in good health.




paperforest says...


Thanks for the review! I'm definitely going to be editing this, so I'll be sure to think about rephrasing the "things" line, I think you're right about it feeling more informal, so now I just have to decide whether that fits with the feel I want for the rest of the poem. Thanks again!




Irresponsibly-conceived assignments don't deserve responsibly-executed complies.
— Persistence