z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Refutations to Arguments Trying to Prove God's Nonexistence

by ongoeslife


Hey, all! A friend of mine posted this article, which attempts to prove that God does not exist. Somewhat inspired by the movie, "God's NOT Dead", I took it upon myself to write rebuttals to each individual argument. Please, read this and consider all that you have read! I have put the original arguments in red. As usual, reviews, opinions, and 'Likes' are welcomed! Please, keep it friendly; no foul language or name calling, got it?

Note: I realize that not all people who question God's existence ask these specific questions; this was simply a response to that particular article. 'Kay? I will try to respond to this as best as I can. Since the site itself uses the Bible to try to make its points, I feel that it is okay to use it in my response as well.

Original argument #1: Where’s the proof? If God is so powerful, why doesn’t He show Himself?

In response to #1: Many people want God to show a sign to "prove Himself", but there is no sign He could show that would convince everyone. In the Bible, it says that "The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.", and "For since the creation of the world, His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." (Psalm 19:1 and Romans 1:20) There ARE signs there; not everyone wants to accept them, especially if looking to disprove God. If God literally wrote it in the sky "I, God, DO exist", then people would find some other explanation as to how it got there. (Can't planes make pretty designs/messages in the sky?)

Original argument #2: Why do bad people exist and get away with things? If God is loving, why does He permit so much suffering in this world?

In response to #2: If you got rid of all the bad people, there would be NO ONE left. Why? Because EVERYONE (including me!) has done bad things. Ecclesiastes 11:9 says "You who are young, be happy while you are young, and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you into judgment." This is saying that people WILL one day be accountable for all the bad they have done, even if it seems that they are getting away with it now.

Original argument #3: How can one say God exists, but not all those other gods? Everyone is talking about so many different deities, it’s hard to suggest that yours is “right”.

In response to #3: I’m not sure how this disproves the existence of God. It’s wondering how an individual can say that the God of Abraham is the only true God, but it does not prove that there is no God. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Original argument #4: Where are the miracles? We certainly haven’t seen any for a long time.

In response to #4: Let me give you a list!! I personally know a couple people who have died and have been brought back to life after a couple of hours, even days. I know people who had cancer, DID NOT RECEIVE TREATMENT, and were pronounced at a later visit to be cancer-free, and remained that way. One friend of mine tried 6 times to kill himself, and failed all 6 times. On the last attempt, he tried to drown himself. NO ONE WAS HOME. He blacked out in the pool. He heard a voice telling him that he still had things to do here on earth, and woke up on the concrete next to the pool. There was STILL no one home. Want me to give more examples of miracles nowadays?

Original argument #5: If God created everything, what created God? Doesn't using God as an answer for what created things defer the question and ignore the main issue?

In response to #5: If God were created, then He wouldn’t be God. He has always existed. Can I explain it beyond that? No; because I’m not God. I can’t understand everything now.

Original argument #6: Geological evidence contradicts the Bible, Koran, and other religious texts. The earth appears to be much older and more naturally occurring than any religious scriptures seem to acknowledge.

In response to #6: The methods used to date the earth and whatnot don’t always produce the same results; many of them contradict each other. (Here is a link if you wish to know more.) There are also many things found in the Bible that were believed to have not existed, and were then later found in archaeological digs, exactly where the Bible said they were.

"In addition to Jericho, places such as Haran, Hazor, Dan, Megiddo, Shechem, Samaria, Shiloh, Gezer, Gibeah, Beth Shemesh, Beth Shean, Beersheba, Lachish, and many other urban sites have been excavated, quite apart from such larger and obvious locations as Jerusalem or Babylon. Such geographical markers are extremely significant in demonstrating that fact, not fantasy,is intended in the Old Testament historical narratives; otherwise, the specificity regarding these urban sites would have been replaced by “Once upon a time” narratives with only hazy geographical parameters, if any." (Check the end of this for the link to the website this quote was taken from.)

Original argument #7: Hypocrisy among religious followers. Why is it that some of the most fervent believers don't believe in abortion but support the death penalty, which directly contradicts one of the ten commandments... which they claim to know and honor?

In response to #7: Again, this doesn’t seem to disprove the existence of God. Just because people are messed up and hypocritical, that doesn’t mean that God doesn’t exist. That argument really doesn’t make sense. If a student is given a math test and gets a 40% on it, does that mean that the teacher doesn’t exist?

Original argument #8: Isn’t it very possible the whole “Immaculate Conception” thing was a cover-up… for an unwanted pregnancy?

In response to #8: Yet again, this does not disprove God’s existence. I don’t believe that this concept was used in the correct context, though I think it’s only Catholics who believe in the Immaculate Conception, anyway. The question is phrased so that one is lead to believe that the original writer mistook that term to talk about the virgin conception of Christ; which, in reply to the second half of the argument, was not very probable to have been a cover-up. The virgin birth was predicted MANY years before it actually happened.

Original argument #9: If believers so ardently subscribe to the idea of Heaven, then why are people afraid to die?

In response to #9: And once again, this has nothing to do with whether or not God exists. However, I will reply to it. Not everyone is afraid to die; there are many reports of Christians being very joyful at death. I personally have a friend who is on her deathbed, and every time she wakes up, she says, “Aww, man! I’m still here?” She can’t wait to die and be in Heaven!! However, there are some Christians that are afraid to die. This could be because they aren’t certain of their salvation; not because Christ failed to save them, but because they may believe that they “didn’t do it right”, or perhaps they believe that they messed up too badly, that even though they accepted Christ, He decided to be rid of them. (Which is not true!) They may even be worried about leaving people here whom they love.

Original argument #10: Prayer’s ineffectiveness. Prayer has a spotty success rate, to put it gently.

In response to #10: Prayer is a request, and sometimes, the answer is ‘no’. People like to think of God as a genie and their prayers as their commands for Him to do whatever they want; but this is not the case. We cannot command God to do what we want Him to. That would make us God. Prayer is also how we communicate with God, not how we dictate Him.

This is the link I mentioned in refutation #6: http://www.equip.org/articles/biblical-archaeology-factual-evidence-to-support-the-historicity-of-the-bible/


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 2453
Reviews: 77

Donate
Wed May 14, 2014 12:34 am
View Likes
Craz wrote a review...



*cough cough* First non-believer to review this piece, but I might as well, right? :D

First off, I refuse to argue against your points and tell you that your stupid and be a complete jerk because then I would be wasting everyone's time including my own and frankly I am just not like that. I definitely avoid these things usually because it's just such a touchy-touchy subject, but lucky for you (I guess xp) I'm in a preppy mood, so let's get this going, eh?

Surprisingly I enjoyed your responses. You had evidence from other articles and websites that seem pretty legit and you stayed on subject. You didn't attack the other author with naughty names and you didn't try to shove your beliefs down his or her throat, which is some serious brownie points in my perspective. You simply responded to the points he or she made. Which, I'm about to get onto him or her about.

So I'm too lazy to read this other person's article, but frankly the points that this person brought up were very commonplace, unoriginal and very un-germane to the point he or she was trying to make. I kind of understand where he or she was going though, but still. This person did not do a very good job of disproving God. If any, this person used the arguments of people who can only "talk the talk" and not "walk the walk". Okay, I'm going to stop ragging on this person now.

The only problem I have is, well, more of a suggestion. Instead of just linking other articles (which is good, I mentioned that right?) and hoping that the readers would pause to go back and read that article and that article and that one and etcetera etcetera etcetera... you see? It is just way too much. I just glanced at the pages. I barely even read those articles, honestly, and probably would have not done this review if I had read all of them. So to avoid this little headache, I suggest that you directly quote the articles and put them in your response so lazy people like me don't have to do all that. Plus, it validates your opinion like crazy, and makes you look all professional. You should still link the articles you quote though, so people won't claim that your just making it up as you go. ;)

~Craz




User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Tue May 13, 2014 10:59 pm
View Likes
Messenger wrote a review...



Hey life, thought I'd make a few comments here.

I think you stayed true to the questions., You didn't stray away from them.
You didn't attack the questioneer, which is good. It means that you can keep a level head through this debate.
Your answers were pretty solid. I agree that some of those questions don't even have to do with whether or not God exists. You did a good job of still replying to those though without getting upset.
You not only spoke from personal experience, but also with the quote and the links which adds validity to your side.
I nearly screamed at the last question. XDDD This person has no experience praying to God it seems. If she wants to see proof of prayer working, I'd love to give you my blog link so she can look at it. Most of the blog is about answered prayers.

I really liked this. The formatting didn't work totally correct and that needs to be fixed, but that isn't something that will take long.

~Messenger




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 273
Reviews: 16

Donate
Tue May 13, 2014 9:29 pm
View Likes
TrudiRose says...



Hi there,

First up, I don't normally get involved in these kind of...let's call them debates? But it always bugs me how non-believers (who completely have every right not to believe) seem adamant that people who believe in God (whichever God that may be) are either wrong or simply delusional. I find it quite disheartening that some people seemingly get a kick out of stomping all over someone else's beliefs so it was really nice to see an article standing up for those who do believe in God but without coming across as preachy.
I'm a Christian but by no means a strict one, I don't go to church that often at all (maybe Christmas and Easter time) and I certainly don't agree with everything that is considered 'right' in the Bible, personally I think a lot of it is down to how you interpret the Bible. However I found your article to be a very interesting read. You didn't attack those who don't believe but you stood your ground firmly, which I commend.
I don't doubt that there will be some comments from non-believers that will patronisingly congratulate you on your article only to throw in the odd snide comment at how superior they are because they don't need a God or whatever argument they offer but don't let that detract from the well put together, well written article you have written and clearly done a good amount of research into :)
Keep up the good work! :)




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 273
Reviews: 16

Donate
Tue May 13, 2014 9:29 pm
TrudiRose says...



Hi there,

First up, I don't normally get involved in these kind of...let's call them debates? But it always bugs me how non-believers (who completely have every right not to believe) seem adamant that people who believe in God (whichever God that may be) are either wrong or simply delusional. I find it quite disheartening that some people seemingly get a kick out of stomping all over someone else's beliefs so it was really nice to see an article standing up for those who do believe in God but without coming across as preachy.
I'm a Christian but by no means a strict one, I don't go to church that often at all (maybe Christmas and Easter time) and I certainly don't agree with everything that is considered 'right' in the Bible, personally I think a lot of it is down to how you interpret the Bible. However I found your article to be a very interesting read. You didn't attack those who don't believe but you stood your ground firmly, which I commend.
I don't doubt that there will be some comments from non-believers that will patronisingly congratulate you on your article only to throw in the odd snide comment at how superior they are because they don't need a God or whatever argument they offer but don't let that detract from the well put together, well written article you have written and clearly done a good amount of research into :)
Keep up the good work! :)




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 273
Reviews: 16

Donate
Tue May 13, 2014 9:28 pm
TrudiRose wrote a review...



Hi there,

First up, I don't normally get involved in these kind of...let's call them debates? But it always bugs me how non-believers (who completely have every right not to believe) seem adamant that people who believe in God (whichever God that may be) are either wrong or simply delusional. I find it quite disheartening that some people seemingly get a kick out of stomping all over someone else's beliefs so it was really nice to see an article standing up for those who do believe in God but without coming across as preachy.
I'm a Christian but by no means a strict one, I don't go to church that often at all (maybe Christmas and Easter time) and I certainly don't agree with everything that is considered 'right' in the Bible, personally I think a lot of it is down to how you interpret the Bible. However I found your article to be a very interesting read. You didn't attack those who don't believe but you stood your ground firmly, which I commend.
I don't doubt that there will be some comments from non-believers that will patronisingly congratulate you on your article only to throw in the odd snide comment at how superior they are because they don't need a God or whatever argument they offer but don't let that detract from the well put together, well written article you have written and clearly done a good amount of research into :)
Keep up the good work! :)




User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 2003
Reviews: 62

Donate
Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:06 pm
Poopsie wrote a review...



If I believed in God life would be a lot better for me. Many people believe in god because they need that holy unspoken power to rely on. "If god exists and I remain true to the Bible, God will protect me and nothing bad will ever happen." Many people need that father figure watching over them or else they feel hopelessly alone.

Also, the whole idea that god doesn't show himself is the FAITH factor. If god showed himself to the world, their would no longer be a reason to believe in him. Whats the point in having faith if you know He already exists. A whole religion would be wiped from the world. Does anyone want that to happen?

Anyways, cool story bro. Keep writing :I




WindSailor says...


You have the right to your own beliefs and all, but I want to correct you on one thing. Not everyone who is a Christian believes it because they need a father figure or feel hopelessly alone. Maybe they believe it because they simply do. We believe we can call God our Father, but that doesn't mean that everyone who came to God was in need or desperately alone, but they just simply believed it.



Verser says...


mmm, true. Thanks for the catch :)



ongoeslife says...


I'm not quite sure I understand what you tried to say in your review. Could you try explaining it again, please? I'm a bit slow. :P

Another thing, though; Christians DON'T expect everything to go wonderfully for them. The Bible, which we believe in, says that we most certainly will have trials and troubles.



Verser says...


I'm not saying that, I'm just explaining some topics you missed and why some people believe in god.



User avatar
59 Reviews


Points: 4238
Reviews: 59

Donate
Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:00 pm
View Likes
Sunshine1113 wrote a review...



Sunshine here to review...

YAY! I JUST LOVE A GOOD THEOLOGICAL DEBATE! :) This was a very well written persuasive type essay. You backed up your points with relevant bible verses and you even cited the verse (thank you for that, I've seen people just say a verse without citing where it came from) your points were relevant and you made sense. I'm somewhat knowledgeable on the immaculate conception thing if you wish to know a little more on the catholic viewpoint on it versus Protestant viewpoints. For argument 10, I think that everyone goes through that at one point or another, Christian and non Christian. People just need to understand that God has a plan for your life and sometimes what you want isn't what God wants. I don't really have any nitpicks, this was well written and you proved your points very well. :) God bless! :)




ongoeslife says...


Thank you so much for your review!



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 593
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:00 am
ongoeslife says...



Okay, so the red only worked on some of them without highlighting the whole article in red.... I'm sure you can figure it out!! :P





If I had control over the quote generator, I feel like I would put half of YWS in it.
— Kaia