16+

A Letter to Victoria's Secret

by mavisknightley

Dear Victoria,

I know you’ve got a business to run. I know, marketing wise, this is the best way for you to roll in the duckets, for example the eight billion you made back in 2016. People naturally flock to the ideal, what they think is perfect, what they themselves want to be.

However, I’d like to say screw you and your skinny ass, six foot tall models because if you poke around the real world for five minutes, you will find that the vast majority of women don’t actually look like that. Seeing your Angels strut the stage in those skimpy ensembles makes those of us who are more averagely proportioned feel like slugs in our pajamas.

Would it really be such a crime to show off a real body every now and again? What would the harm be in hiring a 5’4” girl with short hair, or a lack of a thigh gap, or some feature that doesn’t look like it was formed in a Barbie doll mold?

Your products are beautiful, and I confess myself an avid customer. At least 65% of my closet consists of your black lace. That said, it would be nice to see some more variety in the bodies that model these gorgeous pieces. I think your customers deserve that. Cause I’ll tell you, my butt does not look like Miranda Kerr’s in a g-string.

I suggest waltzing into one of your mall locations, grabbing one of those big black mesh bags, and being a shopper for a day. Pay attention to the posters, and the photography. Envision yourself in the pieces modeled, just like a shopper would at any store. Picture your likely average sized thighs, or average arms, or average breasts in your product. And then think.

In the course of this endeavor, you may come to find yourself comparing your (average) body to these surreal creatures, and wondering how you measure up, and moreover, how in the hell this stuff is supposed to fit on you like that.

Many adults have come to terms with their assets, and are completely fine with these comparisons. It is the young women and girls, who are already bombarded with unrealistic images of women in the media, that we should worry about the most. By giving these girls only Angels to compare themselves to, what are we telling them? This is what you are supposed to look like? This is the ideal? And if you aren’t this ideal, then what? Are you inferior? Are you unsexy? Unattractive?

I don’t even have to tell you that this ignites a myriad of lifelong struggles for these girls, such as body dysmorphia or eating disorders. It’s not a matter to consider lightly.

So, dearest, sexy Victoria, I ask you to please hire some models that look more like the rest of us. I think your customers would respect you more as a company, after seeing a likeness to themselves in your promotions. You might also be surprised at how much more product you sell, after you stop excluding those of us who do not have asses as skinny as Karlie Kloss’.

Thank You,

Mavis Knightley

::::::::::::::::::::::

Mavis Knightley

www.mavisknightley.weebly.com

Jurelixranoanad wrote a review...

Hi, J here for a review.
Well I picked this out of the Green Room just to see what you thought about VS and I have to say we have the same opinion. I am only thirteen but I have shopped there in more than one occasion. The Victoria secret angles are the worst part they are putting false images into my mind and for a while when I was looking at magazines and on tv I thought that was what all woman looked like. Victoria Secret would not go bankrupt even if they stopped putting underweight people on stage. Anyway that was my rant for the day good job with this and I encourage you to make this known to VS. Post it on their website or onto social media make your opinion known.

Good Job and Keep Writing!!

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:20 am
rainforest wrote a review...

Hello! Irid here with a review.

So I was very intrigued by your title, first off. I was expecting this and this is what I got, and even better. I really liked this work because it's so true. All we see in the media are these good looking models that literally starve themselves, count every calorie, and do what it takes to get the perfect body just for a job. I've noticed the same thing with men, even. I would also personally like someone to take a poke at something like this but for men :) but really this is true. We're even brainwashed in the media by Photoshop. I definitely agree with you that we should see more people that look like us with body types and all. Not just that, but even different races.

I would also like to touch base on how you wrote this. I think you executed this in the greatest way possible. It really follows everything an essay should follow, except I did see one minor detail:

I personally would have made this all one paragraph because they each are basically the same thing. In an essay, you have your topic sentence, your supporting details/evidence, and then the punchline statement, which refers back to why you are writing this (thesis, OP statement).

Overall, I think you did a nice job with this! It definitely opens up people's eyes to this. Sometimes it goes unrecognized but it should be highly recognized. Once again, good job. Thank you and have a nice day!

-Iridescence

There is a difference between being poor and being broke: broke is temporary; poor is eternal.
— Robert Kiyosaki