z

Young Writers Society


18+ Mature Content

Celibacy in Summer. ...Bad Idea.

by mavisknightley


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

Let me show you something.

Take an egg in your hand. Its beautifully matte shell, which glistens slightly in sunlight, is not flawless but it feels perfectly smooth in your fingertips, like a palm-sized lopsided bubble.

Now take the egg and throw it (with gusto) against a wall. You should now have a nice messy splat, perhaps with a few broken shards on the floor.

This is very close to what my heart looked like post break up.

As a result of this mess, my newly jaded Freudian ego has decided to take a vow of complete celibacy this summer.

It seemed like the perfect solution to all my problems. Abstaining from dating would allow me to focus on reorienting, on reconnecting to who I was pre-ex boyfriend. It would give me an opportunity to learn more about myself, to release those inhibitions and finally do all the things I wanted to, like write music (like, with actual notes! And a staff!), or join a theatre troupe. And most importantly, being on my own would allow me the time necessary to heal.

It has been a month.

Boy was this a stupid idea.

It wasn’t so bad when I was going back and forth about whether or not I should finally give the ex the slip. At least my mind was preoccupied with panic and sadness.

Now, it is summer, glorious Tank Tops, Ripped Biceps, and Tanned Bodies Summer. And e’rybody’s startin’ to look reeeaal good.

To be honest I have no idea where this came from, as I was always a fall girl. Something about the crisp autumn air, the earthy smell of dead leaves and fabric softener, just melts my butter.

This week, I found myself skeezin’ on five different guys. One of which was married.

And then there was the cute twenty something that approached the information desk, where I work at my college. He asked where he could purchase his diploma, all dazzling and stuff, and all I could think was, “Your diploma? It’s in that dark, secluded room behind the storage area. Want me to come show you? With my pants off?”

But I digress.

The reality is that I am still pretty jaded. I’m just jaded and randy is all.

The reality is my heart is still very tender, and as such, I have encapsulated it in a bullet proof box, and I’m not opening it no matter how much I’d like to open my legs.

Are all men like the last one? I mean, I know they’re all after one thing, that’s expected. But will they all say whatever it takes to get you into bed? Are they all liars?

I really, really thought the last one cared.

It seems like an excellent time to pack a bag, find a cheap one way flight to the Keys, and perhaps accumulate a few cats.

I can see it now. I will grow up to be Flaky Aunt Mav, the one who wears leather jackets with flip flops, who travels the world writing for some obscure blog, and brings home blood sausage as a gift for her nieces.

See what you did to me Ex-Boyfriend?! This is all your fault!

Mavis Knightley

www.mavisknightley.weebly.com


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 908
Reviews: 76

Donate
Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:51 pm
View Likes
Dest wrote a review...



Hello!

Something about the crisp autumn air, the earthy smell of dead leaves and fabric softener, just melts my butter.


... Just melts my butter Girl, what? XD

I really love the narrative mixed in with bits of humor and, you know, relatability. I also liked the egg and broken heart symbolism. The opening starts like a conversation with a friend, very friendly and light-hearted like a journal entry too.

This was fun to read!




User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 2046
Reviews: 131

Donate
Wed May 31, 2017 2:51 am
View Likes
beccalicious94 wrote a review...



Hi Mavis! Becca here for a quick review.

I don't usually read the longer pieces on YWS, but I'm so glad I read yours.

Let me start off by saying this was a very entertaining read. The narrator has a humorous tone which you write with aplomb. You really get into her mind, and I love how you include all the rank thoughts she has while sad about her breakup.

I think what could make this piece even stronger if you feel like you can is include some more details about the breakup, the ex, and how the narrator got to where she is now. Obviously your call. Keep writing!





Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.
— Niels Bohr