Alister in Sonderland - Prologue (DISCONT.)

by manilla

sonder - n. the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own.

--

"Dear reader, the Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll you know is a lie. For one, Alice Liddell's adventure was not in fact a dream. Our version of your 'Wonderland' is alive and real, with half the magic from a decade before."

"You don't believe me? You claim that my tall tale is 'utterly preposterous' and 'ridiculous'? Why, stop using those big words you hardly understand yourself and listen. Up."

"Sonderland is in danger. The Four Lands of the North, South, East, and West Winds are warring with each other, and innocents are getting in the way."

"Stop interrupting me! This affects your world, too."

"Sonderland generates the creativity you puny humans use to create ideas. We've reinvented the wheel, and perhaps we might share our creation with you as a simple act of generosity. But that's besides the point."

"Peer into my Looking-Glass, the only thing known to exist that lets you take a view of the second dimension, the land that shares a world with yours. The true dimension. Sonderland, if I may say so myself."

"I'm not crazy! I swear on my life I'm not mad! This isn't some stupid crystal ball from your dumb fairy tales. Not all fairy tales have a happy ending, you twit. Please. I'm running out of time. At least let me talk if the visual truth will not persuade yoy."

--

"There was once a single point in the universe. That is what your Big Bang theory claims. But in fact, there were two. These two points exploded for some reason, and they formed the world you know, and the world I know. Earth and Sonderland, side by side, hidden from each other in the folds and dimensions of space-time."

"You humans never invented an invention that let you see our realm, but we invented one only a hundred years after the first intelligent beings, your "human" equivalent, came on Sonderland.

"Our world was the paradise you humans always imagined yours to be in the afterlife. The weather was "just right", with a light breeze and occasional rain. Species coexisted with each other. Our forests were a work of colorful art, and people were loyal to their rulers and trusted each other. We all lived in harmony. Peace, I daresay! balanced perfection! Where are all of those things now?"

"Well, our lands coexisted peacefully until your Industrial Revolution took place. Slowly but surely, our dimension took a big hit."

"Things started falling apart. The Seven Sins were introduced to us. We started killing, lying, stealing, backstabbing, and murdering. How could you have possibly lived with those things for centuries? Millenia!? Generations upon generations of sinners?"

"By now, the Four Lands each had a sovereign. Each Land went in the direction of the Four Winds, as mentioned before. The sovereigns basked in their current power, hungry for more. So they slaughtered, conquered, and let the borders shift. Your Alice Liddell barely made it out alive, for the Queen of Hearts would've chopped her head and burned her body into a crisp."

"In fact, there is no King of Hearts. We have a King of Diamonds to the East, an Emperor of Clubs to the South, and an Empress of Spades to the North. Fall into their traps and you surely will not make it out alive."

"I plead with you. Take away your machines. Take away your fossil fuels. Take away your factories, and surely, Sonderland will not burn. Because if Sonderland burns, Earth is going down with us. Believe Alice Liddell when she speaks of the truth...If she is not yet dead."

--

"My name is Madeira Hattable, the Mad Hatter. Come with me, for you are the one that will save us all."

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:34 am
manilla says...

Part One is officially out!

Alister in Sonderland - One

man do i love breaking promises to myself.

Charm wrote a review...

Hey Manilla! Thank you so much for asking me to review this. It really means a lot! To be honest, it's a lot more fun to review things when people ask you to, so thank you. I'll get straight into the review.

Grammar/Syntax:

*all alterations made by me are in bold and I change/add things on when I feel it's needed

"Dear reader, the Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll you know is a lie. For one, Alice Liddell's adventure was not, in fact, a dream. Our version of your 'Wonderland' is alive and real, with half the magic from a decade before.

"You don't believe me? You claim that my tall tale is 'utterly preposterous' and 'ridiculous'? Why, stop using those big words you hardly understand yourself and listen up.

"Sonderland is in danger. The Four Lands of the North, South, East, and West Winds are warring with each other, and innocents are getting caught in the crossfire

"Stop interrupting me! This affects your world, too.

"Sonderland generates the creativity you puny humans use for ideas (The repetition of 'create' was unpleasant). We've reinvented the wheel, and perhaps we might share our creation with you as a simple act of generosity (I don't get this line). But that's besides the point.

"Peer into my looking glassthe only thing known to exist that lets you take a view of the second dimensionthe land that shares a world with yours. The true dimension. Sonderland, if I may say so myself.

"I'm not crazy! I swear on my life, I'm not mad! This isn't some stupid crystal ball from your dumb fairytales. Not all fairy tales have a happy ending, you twit. Please, I'm running out of time. At least let me talk if the visual truth will not persuade you (This last line doesn't make much sense to me, as readers we have only heard words and have seen no visual truth).

"There was once a single speck in the universe (Point makes me think of math and geometry and well if you want to be more correct, I'd use "speck." It sounds better too). That is what your "Big Bang" theory claims. But, in fact, there were two.

"These two points exploded, for some reason, and they formed the world you knowand the world I know. Earth and Sonderland, side by side, hidden from each other in the folds and dimensions of space and time.

"You humans never invented an invention that let you see our realm, but we invented one only a hundred years after the first intelligent beings, your 'human' equivalent, came in Sonderland. (I am "in" America, I am not "on" America. This sentence confused me. I had to read it three times to understand that you meant that the people of Sunderland invented a device to see humans a hundred years after they appeared in Sunderland. At first, I thought you meant that the people of Sunderland invented a device to see humans a hundred years after the humans which contradicted the first part of the sentence. Very confusing. Perhaps if you fixed the wording it would make sense.)

"Our world was the paradise you humans always imagined yours to be in the afterlife. The weather was 'just right', with a light breeze and occasional rain (Quotes within quotes should be the single quote marks), species coexisted with each other, our forests were a work of colorful art, and the people were loyal to their rulers. They trusted each other. We all lived in harmony. Peace, I daresay! Balanced perfection! Where are all of those things now, I wonder?

"Well, our lands coexisted peacefully until your 'Industrial Revolution' took place. Slowly but surely, our dimension stared to fall apart. (This doesn't make sense because a "big hit" doesn't happen "slowly but surely.")

"Things started falling apart. The Seven Sins were introduced to us: We started killing, lying, stealing, backstabbing, and murdering (I'm pretty sure 'killing' and 'murdering' is the same thing, but 'murdering' has a darker feel to it so if you need to pick one, pick that one). How could you have possibly lived with those things for centuries? Millenias!? Generations upon generations of sinners? (I'm not sure why but I don't like "sinners" maybe it should be "sin" but then again "generations" refers to people. I'm not sure, but I thought I'd make a note anyway)

"By then, the Four Lands each had a sovereign ("Now" is a present tense word and you're writing in past tense). Each Land went in the direction of the Four Winds, as mentioned before. The sovereigns basked in their current power, hungry for more. So they slaughtered, conquered, and let the borders shift. Your Alice Liddell barely made it out alive, for the Queen of Heart tried to chop her head off and burned her body to a crisp.

"In fact, there is no King of Hearts. We have a King of Diamonds to the East, an Emperor of Clubs to the South, and an Empress of Spades to the North. Fall into their traps and you surely will not make it out alive.

"Now, I plead with you. Take away your machines. Take away your fossil fuels. Take away your factories[. and surely, Sonderland will not burn. Because if Sonderland burns, Earth is going down with us.

"Believe Alice Liddell when she speaks of the truth...If she is not yet dead." (I don't like this last line. It just seems cliche to me and I know you're hoping to add tension with this but the tension is already there)

--

"My name is Madeira Hattable, the Mad Hatter (Hahaha, @Hattable). Come with me, for you are the one that will save us all."

Since there is only one speaker talking you don't need to end the quotations until the very end. This is very tricky and even I had to look it up. You are supposed to put double quotes at the beginning of every paragraph but you only put the end quotes on the last paragraph the speaker speaks in his monologue. You can read more about that here. In case you don't know, you are meant to open a new set of quotations each time the character changes, or whenever you add a dialogue tag. You don't need to worry about dialogue tags though because there aren't any! Although, please make sure to include some when you write future chapters. It's fine for the prologue because of the way you styled it, but it can be a problem in the future.

Plot:

Jeez! This tension! Omg, what an opening! I am so excited to read this, omg! There isn't much to go off of plot-wise since it's a short prologue, but wow! It's really exciting so far and I love the name you have for the mad hatter. I'm assuming you made her a girl? Interesting!

Final Thoughts and Little Things:

So, I'm actually a huge Alice in Wonderland fan. I've read the original books and I've done a heck ton of research on the book, therefore I got a little thrown off when in the beginning you called the book, Alice in Wonderland. I'm not sure you know this or not, but the title of the classic novel is called Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I think it would be better if you changed it to that when the unknown speaker speaks because Alice in Wonderland is the shortened version of the title. It's like a nickname and I don't think it makes sense in this scenario to use the nickname. Now that you know that I'm an Alice in Wonderland fan, I figure it would be good to also let you know that I'm not a fan of rewritten stories/retellings. Books like the very popular series, Splintered by A.G. Howard, well, to say the least, "It's a no from me." But I did like this. Your dialogue, though a tad confusing on whether or not it was one person speaking or two, was really good. It felt very real and very storytelly which I love. I loved the feeling of the speaker yelling at the readers! It immediately drew me in and I think it's really great that you can do that in the first chapter and in so few lines too! I think I'll continue to follow and review your novel (which is something I have never done since I only follow books I enjoy reading).

marms

manilla says...

Thank you for your review, marms! :)

Charm says...

No problem! I'm excited for the first chapter. Let me know when it comes out!

manilla says...

Alrighty ^^

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:59 pm
scarlettvee wrote a review...

*reads the definition at the top of the story*
Oh... so this is going to be a story that makes me question my existence, isn't it? *takes a deep breath* alright... let's do this

It's really windy here were I am right now, but I'm going to try to ignore it as I edit your story. It may or may not be lowkey scaring me though :D But anyway, I'm going to go through my grammar suggestions first, then I'll give you my overall review of the story!

Our version of your 'Wonderland' is alive and real, with half the magic from a decade before.

"Our version of your 'Wonderland'" confuses me here. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. My guess is that the "our version of your Wonderland" is Sonderland but you never state that it is. If it is, I would advise that you have this character say at the end of this sentence "except we call it Sonderland" or something like that, just to make it a little more clear.

Also, I can't really tell how many people are talking in the first part of this story, but just remember that if you have one character who continues speaking through several paragraphs of dialogue, you don't add a closing quotation mark until they stop speaking. Here's an example:

"I don't want to write several paragraphs of dialogue for you here, so I'm probably only going to make these a few lines, but it still works.

"See how I didn't add a end quote to my dialogue above because I'm still speaking in this paragraph below? That's how it's supposed to look. Still put the opening quotation mark on the beginning of the paragraph however, just so readers know the character is still speaking, and you didn't simply forget to add a end quotation mark. Only when I stop speaking do you add the end quote. Like this."

At least let me talk if the visual truth will not persuade yoy.

Just a tiny correction here, you just have to change the "yoy" to "you". I'm sure it's just a typo but I wanted to make sure you didn't miss it.

These two points exploded for some reason...

The "for some reason" sounds weird in this. I would recommend just taking it out. The sentence won't lose any of it's meaning.

Maybe add "that allowed us to see your realm" after "but we invented one"

balanced perfection!

Capitalize the "b"

Well, our lands coexisted peacefully until your Industrial Revolution took place.

So why exactly did our Industrial Revolution cause their world to fall into ruins?

Believe Alice Liddell when she speaks of the truth...If she is not yet dead.

Add a space at the end of the ellipses

That was a really good and intriguing chapter! I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite that it was all dialogue, and I thought it made for a really cool and unique prologue. I do have a few other things though. First of all, I still don't understand why exactly our industrial revolution, our machines, fossil fuels, factories etc. are causing Sonderland to burn, and I would recommend that you maybe explain this in more detail, either in this chapter or in a future one. Second, twice in this chapter you separate the Mad Hatter's dialogue with two dashes "--" and I'm not entirely sure why you do it. Usually these types of things are used to show a time jump, but it doesn't really seem like there is any time jump happening between the dialogue when you have those. If there's some poetic reason you have those in there, you don't have to take them out, but I would recommend that you do, just because I don't feel like there's any use for them.

That's all I have though! Again, I really liked this chapter, and I am intrigued enough to want to continue reading this story! It seems like it will be a fun and interesting adventure, especially with the definition that you added to the top, which I'm still curious to see how that plays into the rest of the story and Sonderland's name. Good job on this chapter!

Until next time,
K.S. Valentine

manilla says...

Thank you for your feedback :)

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:06 pm
Kanome wrote a review...

Hello, manilla. I am here to provide you a review. Let’s get started, shall we?

I. PLOT
It is quite interesting reading a story that is like Alice in Wonderland but it has been re-invented. I can see if you put your own unique touch into the story, at the same time, still kept the Alice in Wonderland taste into it. For Example, the mad hatter. Everyone knows who the mad hatter is, and I am glad you kept him in the storyline, or at least the prologue. He seems to be the one who is going to narrate the whole storyline? Or is it only for the prologue? We shall see, am I right?

II. NITPICKS & STUFF
The only problem I have with the whole story is the quotation marks. Since this is the prologue and the mad hatter seems to be narrating the story than actually talking, there’s no need for the quotation marks. That’s all I have to say on that note.

There is not much to go on since this is only the prologue of the story and does seem to be a short prologue ( not too short, but short. Lel. )

III. OVERALL
Overall, I find the plot of the story quite intriguing. The re-invention of Alice in Wonderland is something I have never read before, so I like it. Remember, when it comes to narrating, no need for quotation marks. Narrating and speaking are two completely different things. I noticed in your author’s note that you will be continuing your other novel before getting into this one, so I see what you’re trying to do. I will go read your other novel. The title looks cool to me. Keep up the great work. Keep writing and enjoy the rest of your day.

- Kanome

manilla says...

Thanks, Kanome ^^

manilla says...

Thanks, Kanome ^^

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:49 pm
manilla says...

I'm going to finish Danser before continuing this, I swear :')
@Hattable

Hattable says...

Oh, I never received a notif for this, lel

The first thing I do when I have a good quote is always to put a goat in it. uwu
— Liminality