z

Young Writers Society



Just More Truth.

by kellydawn


Beautiful, Strong. Courageous. They see me as bubbly, a little too confident.  And 'out there,' but what they don't know Is that I'm so profoundly lost in the jumble that is My thoughts.  The swirl that overwhelms my otherwise pretty little mind. The jungle of horrors, and randomosity that tries so, So hard to find a niche. A file all of its own,  To deposit the million ideas that flit through my  Poorly overused head.  I am depressed. Boulders constantly test my strength. They play games with me, seeing which one can break me first. But I am also manic, more than willing to explore the World of drugs, and weapons. And sex. Too willing.  And it's dangerous.  But no matter the danger,  I refuse to scatter medication into my daily routine.  It's tedious and frightening.  I am a monster, unwilling to fight my own inner demons. And whether it's you, or me, someone will end up dead.  Because bipolar kills. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1220 Reviews


Points: 72525
Reviews: 1220

Donate
Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:38 am
Kale wrote a review...



Hello there kellydawn,

I bet you thought you'd never get a review on this. Well, I'm here to prove you wrong. *insert mad/diabolical/insane laughter/giggles/cackling/whatever here* For too long have works like yours languished unreviewed, and so my comrades and I of the Order of the Knights of the Green Room are here to bring an end to such an ignomiously neglected state of reviewage.

So, sit back, relax, and enjoy the reviewing!

---

The first thing that struck me about this piece was the inconsistency of the punctuation. Now, while inconsistent punctuation can be used to great effect in poetry, I'm not getting the impression here that the punctuation actually contributes anything to the subject. If anything, it's more distracting than helpful. As such, I would strongly recommend that you go through and check to make sure things are grammatically a-okay punctuation-wise. It will make the punctuation less of a distraction.

The easiest way to check for grammatical correctness is to rewrite this poem as a regular piece of writing. If everything checks out, then great. If not, it'll be easier to spot and fix.

Another thing rewriting the poem as regular prose will help you with is seeing if the poem still feels poetic when it isn't broken up into lines. Right now, this piece strikes me as lacking some concrete imagery and examples, which makes this feel more like a mini blog entry rather than a poem.

Poetry thrives and relies on vivid imagery to work, and right now, there isn't much by the way of unique or vivid imagery in here. Every description is quite vague and generic, and vague and generic descriptions are the death of good poetry. Make things more specific. describe them in ways that your readers will be able to clearly visualize things. Don't use common or cliched phrases (unless you're going to really examine and/or maybe subvert them).

Basically, instead of just saying "I am depressed." make your readers feel the depression along with you. It will make your poem all the stronger and more memorable for it.





I wish literally anything else I ever said made it into the quote generator.
— CowLogic