z

Young Writers Society

Squills 2/7/13

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:52 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Welcome to Squills, the YWS news bulletin.

This thread is the equivalent of a YWS newspaper, with each post in this thread being a news article. The focus of this paper is on the happenings of YWS at any given day, but members are welcome to submit their own news items. Keep in mind that all postings must comply with the YWS rules.

Submissions will be taken over the span of the day. Tomorrow, this thread will be locked and a new one will take its place. This feature runs all week long, featuring special coverage during events and certain occasions.

If you have questions, news tips, letters to the editor, or if you would like to join the Squills Team, then please PM Griffinkeeper or AlfredSymon.

Creative Staff
Technical Adviser: Griffinkeeper
Editor-in-Chief: AlfredSymon
General Correspondent: SparkofDoubt
Community Reporter: ShadowVyper
Columnist: Clarity
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

308 Reviews

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:07 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Headline: Clubs Back in Almost Full Action

Nate just announced in the YWS Apollo Updates thread that the Clubs feature, recently brought down for major renovations and fixing, is now back with almost all the featurettes of the past Clubs intact.

Below is Nate's update on the major featurettes and functions added.

Nate wrote:This is what's left:
- Admins of clubs need a way to approve subscription requests for request only & hidden clubs
- Editing / deleting of topics in club forums is not working.
- Need to redo members section of each club.
- Can't yet create new clubs
- Club admins need a way to ban members from their club
- Breadcrumbs
- Completion of sidebar area
- Announcements
- Comments section isn't sortable
- Update last post time when a comment or post is made in a club.

It is confirmed, though, that the feature is not yet ready to be live, proven by its absence on the Navtabs above, until it's 100% complete.

Members can also start subscribing to different clubs found in this index.

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:05 am
View Likes
Shady says...

New Arrivals

Aloviely is a sales agent for a law firm in Uniondale, New York. She hasn't had an opportunity to post anything yet, but I'm sure with a bit of encouragement, she'll open right up.

Simbatheking is an interesting guy who's interests range from writing, to listening to rock music, to watching German soap operas,to reading poetry. He's looking for good poetry to read, and has some of his own to share. You can read one of his lovely poems or simply go say hi.

Malik hasn't gotten a chance to submit any works yet, but he posted a lovely poem on his wall.

FrancesConway is our newest member. Frances hasn't had a chance to post much yet, but I'm sure that they'd appreciate a warm welcome and a friendly tour of the site.

Simba is the only member who chose to post in the Welcome Mat, but all of them deserve a profilepage full of warm YWS welcomes!

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

308 Reviews

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:23 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

2013 YWS Literary Fair

The 2013 Literary Fair, organized by PixieStix is taking place the whole February and registering are taking place. This is where any member can submit any kind of literary piece which will be judged and rated, after which those authors whose works are on the top will be awarded.

Up for Grabs: Three reviews from the panel

This is your chance to show everyone your literary flair! Just go to this thread for more information about the rules and submission guidelines.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:59 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Share The Love

With YWS' own, StellaThomas from the Gen. Fiction Team of the Jr. Moderators.

--How do balance work/uni and writing?

With difficulty! My college live can be really time consuming and unfortunately, it has to take priority- flunking out of med school isn't a great option! But I'll ration my time, sometimes I'll tell myself "You know what? Don't study the next half hour. Write instead." Writing is work that way, but it's also something I do in my free time. So more importantly it's about rationing my non-academic activities (lolololbecauseI'msuchasocialbutterfly). No but really! There is also something extracurricular to do, or something to buy, or TV to watch. Sometimes you just have to push all that away and say, "No, you know what, writing is more important."

--Do you consider writing to be an escape and a way to let loose, or just something to pass the time?

Definitely the first one! Actually, I found a note on my iPad from last term when I basically hated my life because I was swamped with work. The note read thusly: "No matter how bad things get, your life is still not as bad as Astrid's." Astrid is my protagonist. Torturing characters is a real outlet for me, apparently...

--What's your favorite genre to write in?

Fantasy! Nearly everything I write is fantasy, but I've also tried a little bit of contemporary fiction and even turned my hand to Sci-Fi. I like them all, but I think my talent (if any) lies in fantasy and that's what I prefer writing because I feel more comfortable doing so, because I feel like I have some ability there.

--What's your favorite genre to read?

Probably fantasy again, which would make sense! I really really love fairytale retellings, and those are my favourite type of book. But I'll read nearly anything! I love a bit of young adult fiction and I read as many of the classics as possible.

--What's your favorite book right now?

Hm... My favourite book of all time is probably I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith, it really resonates with me with every single rereading. But as well as that, I currently am in love with The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

--What inspires you the most when you're writing?

Hm... I like to think about my stories on my daily commute, I get most of my ideas first thing in the morning or on dark evenings walking home. I live in a very beautiful area of Dublin, and one of my novels is inspired a lot by the scenery I see everyday. The weather sometimes seems like the perfect day for a scene- and then boom, that scene will come to me. I get inspiration from all sorts- from gossip, from snippets of conversation on the street, from historical facts I read, from other books and TV. Just from people. My stories are very character-driven, I think where I get inspiration from reflects that fact.

--Would you mind sharing a sample of some fiction you've wrote with us?

Durh, I guess since she already got a mention, and since it's nearly Valentine's Day, I'll share a romance scene featuring the beautiful Astrid Race (if that's okay!)

Spoiler! :
In the end, there was no reason not to be candid. She didn’t have anything left to lose. Astrid took a deep breath, shut her eyes for a moment, and tried to remember the world the way it was, before she did what could be catastrophic.
“My point is that I love you, and there’s not much I can do about it.”
Nathaniel reeled backwards a few steps. He was very quiet. Astrid continued, because what else was there to do? “Now, if that kiss was just a tool to get me out from Anneliese’s spell, then it worked, and I hope you’re happy. But if that’s all it was, then this… this friendship or whatever we have needs to end, because I can’t stand being so close to you and yet not being with you the way I would like to be.” She swallowed and stood a little straighter. “We can go our separate ways and no more need be said on the subject.”
“And if it wasn’t?”
It was Astrid’s turn to trip over her tongue. “If it wasn’t what?”
Nathaniel took a step towards her again. “If it wasn’t a tool?”
Her next breath shuddered as it entered her lungs. “Then you better damn well get over here and prove me otherwise, Nathaniel Bolt.”

Thanks Stella, for sharing these thoughts with us! :D
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson