Support Your Local Extrovert

by justine94

“A man of too many friends comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.”—Proverbs 18:24

If I were to say the word “extrovert”, what would first pop into your head? Perhaps the image of a terrifyingly-friendly, in-your-face-and-won’t-go-away type of person threatens to overtake your thoughts. Maybe an individual who simply will not stop talking in class comes to mind. How about the one who just has to say hello to you and have a twenty minute conversation every time they see you (which is far too often in your opinion). The label of extrovert has certainly become at least fifty percent negative.

In case you haven’t guessed by now, I am one of the individuals who has been blessed (?) by this disease. Ha, actually it isn’t really terrible at all. I looked up the actual definition of extrovert, and I found out that it means “anoutgoing,gregariousperson” or—as a verb—“todirect(themind,one'sinterest,etc.)outwardortothingsoutsidetheself.” Now that doesn’t sound too bad, does it? While there are some extroverts who are like that, in reality, most extroverts simply love spending time with other human beings and often don’t like to be by themselves.

I’m not here to babble about extroversion or to defend its characteristics, though. What I do want to say is that if you are an extrovert, I am encouraging you to keep a couple of thoughts in mind as you go through this crazy thing called college.

1. It is okay to be alone, and you should probably practice solitude at least a few times a week, if not a bit every day.

2. Have a conversation with yourself. If you are anything like me, talking to anyone sounds better than being completely silent.

3. You might find a wonderful friend in someone who does not share your love of being around people all the time. Nearly all of my close friends so far have been introverts, and they have taught me so much about myself and about others.

3 ½. (Just kidding…making sure you were paying attention!)

4. I also want to quickly shout out to the introverts who are reading this. (Thank you for sticking by people like me!) Please keep in mind that we can’t help not liking to be alone, and that we often enjoy deep conversations. We may seem to be rather unusual sometimes, but we can calm down when encouraged to do so.

So…wanna be friends? I’m almost 50% sure you’ll like me.

HorriBliss wrote a review...

Great little bomb is how I'd describe this piece.

That's literally all I could say about it. It's a great little succinct piece that sets out to say what it says and does so.

Although, I'm not sure whether you know that there's an almost exact stereotype attached to introverts as extroverts, just the opposite of what characteristics are typically applied to extroverts.

And g'luck for college!

justine94 says...

Yes, I do know that. I'd just like to throw this out there: introverts are supposedly the minority, but they are thought of more often because many people think that extroverts can take care of themselves and don't need recognition. On top of that, the two personalities are actually about 50/50. Ironic that introverts are not at all alone in their struggle to find solitude, but extroverts are always abandoned in hopes of helping the introverted.

Thank you so much for your feedback. :) And thank you, I hope to do well. :)

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:22 am
Emerson wrote a review...

I enjoyed this a lot :-D Very playful and informative.

There is a few places where you have typos, ex: the definitions have no spaces in them. Here is another one you may not easily catch:

Perhaps the image of a terrifyingly-friendly, in-your-face-and-won’t-go-away type of person who threatens to overtake your thoughts.
Missing word there.

I think this would be even better if it was more informative. Perhaps you could add some statistics to it? What percentage of our country is extroverted? (or your country, we might be in different countries). Are their other traits often seen in extroverts? Are there famous extroverts? I think all of these things can really add to your essay.

If you're looking to write an essay specifically about this, you may also want to put more structure in it. So an intro, some points, and a specific closing. As this stands, it doesn't have much structure to it, and I think a bit more structure would really make this piece much better.

Hope this helped!

justine94 says...

Thanks for the help!

With the missing word, I meant to leave it out because I am referring to the image rather than the person.

For the most part, I can't do much changing to this piece because it has to be short and sweet. This essay is actually a future article for the college-focused online magazine/blog that I write for. My editor looked at the first draft...this is the draft that I sent to him a couple of days ago.

In the future, if we choose to put this in the print version of the magazine, I will certainly be making some changes along the lines of what you are suggesting.

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
— Dr. Seuss