18+

Sever | Prologue: To Die For

by jessegrey

Six Months Ago

“This is bad.”

They all knew it was true. They knew the moment that they had stepped foot onto the land of Armor Falls Cemetery that their night had gone south. The four of them were a collective of panic while they stared down at the fallen body in front of them. A dead body. One of them, a tall man with hair as dark as the hour around them, paced in front of the body as his three friends stood shell shocked at the situation.

“This is really bad.” he said once more.

The only girl of their group, a beautiful brunette with long flowing tresses, ran a hand through her hair. “Where is he? Where’s Sumner?”

“Lissa, who cares? There’s a body!” The pacing man regarded her.

“He lured us here. We have to find him.”

Another young man of the group, with short brown hair done up in a pompadour style, stepped away from the body. “We need to get out of here.”

“Where do you suggest we go, Mercer? The police? Arclan?”

“Somewhere that doesn’t involve us staring at a dead body, Bridge!”

“Enough!”

The last of the group, a slightly scruffy buzzed blond, locked eyes with each of his friends. They couldn’t lose it. Not now. There was a murder involved, and Sumner was nowhere to be found. They couldn’t lose it now when they were so close to losing it all.

“We’re going to prison. I’m gonna get life without parole.” Bridge said with rigorous finality.

“No one is going to prison.”

Lissa eliminated the small distance between the tall blond and herself in response to his stiff words, grabbing his hand gingerly.

“Abram, please tell me you have a plan.”

He looked around, his eyes locking on the woods on the outskirts of the cemetery just behind them. The only option seemed to be alarmingly obvious.

“Grab a leg.”

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:04 am
myjaspercat wrote a review...

Hey there Jessegrey, welcome to YWS!
Myjaspercat here to leave you a review

Nit-Picks

The four of them were a collective of panic [I would add a comma here] while they stared down at the fallen body in front of them
Also, "collective of panic" to me reads a little odd.

One of them, a tall man with hair as dark as the hour around them, paced in front of the body as his three friends stood shell shocked at the situation.
We understand that there are four people/friends that are standing in front of this dead person. Therefore, it's unnecessary to specify that the man's three are standing shell shocked. Since we know that there are four of them and we know the man is one, your readers can then figure out that there is only three of them left. Second thing I wanted to mention with this is that I really enjoyed the description of the man, while it was slightly cliché you still pulled it off pretty well.

Another young man of the group...
Unless someone showed up, then I don't think you need to specify that the people you are talking about are from the original group of four. It just makes your writing appear repetitive.

They couldn’t lose it. Not now. There was a murder involved, [You can remove this comma]and Sumner was nowhere to be found. They couldn’t lose it now when they were so close to losing it all.
This section also reads quite repetitive. You mention "losing it" a couple times and I think it would be a little bit better if you found a way to maybe take one of them out or replace it.

For the most part I really enjoyed this chapter and I'm honestly looking forward to reading more. I think you ended it with a nice cliff hanger. I also loved how you started the prologue, as I find it particularly hard to start something with dialogue and actually make it work, so kudos to you. My one "complaint" so to say is that the piece seemed a little slow which felt a little unrealistic to me. Other then that though, you have a pretty solid chapter going for your. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any and good luck, continue writing.

jessegrey says...

Thank you so much for the review! I know, I really use the "number" crutch to death because I'm always afraid of someone getting lost on what's going on. It's an ongoing problem of mine, and I've jotted it down as a notice to myself to work on after reading your comment, so thank you. And thank you for all your other constructive comments, I've taken those as well and made them into notes for myself. Thanks for reading and reviewing!

myjaspercat says...

Of course, I'm just glad to know that I was of some help. Good luck with your story.

jessegrey says...

Thanks again!

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:59 am
PastelSlushie wrote a review...

Hello, jessegrey! PastelSlushie here to leave a review! Let's get right into it! Also, welcome to YWS!

First comment: I must say, you have talent when you can lure ME in only with a title! I can definitely tell you must have SOME kind of experience to write like this! You made me want to continue from the first sentence to the last sentence. Talking about the beginning, it was great! It truly makes the reader want to know, "What's bad?" Making them want to continue reading. Great job!

Second comment: HOWEVER-- sorry, however, when you're describing the people in the group, I didn't necessarily like how you just went right out and told the reader what they looked like. I was guilty of that when I was younger, and I really wish I knew making the mistake you did isn't very good. Try to tell their looks in tiny little details as the story goes on. Let me take one of your lines for example. "Lissa eliminated the small distance between the tall blond and herself in response to his stiff words, grabbing his hand gingerly." Try to describe your characters like that!

Well, that's the end of this review. I'm sorry if I seemed harsh in any way you didn't like. Keep writing!

Pastel

jessegrey says...

Firstly, thank you for the review! Secondly, I'm really notorious for that as well, describing the characters too outright. I've added that to my list to watch out for. Thanks for that! I'm glad you enjoyed the initial start! It's probably my favorite that I've done in a while, so I'm glad it came off as working haha. And this wasn't harsh at all! This is actually a novel that I've already published, and hearing this type of feedback is what I was looking for so I could, sort of, have my flaws pointed out to me, you know? A thousand thanks again!

You've published this story? Ooohhh, I'd love to read it!

I'm glad my review helped you!

jessegrey says...

I did! At the end of May this year, through Amazon's publishing.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:04 am
LukeStarkiller wrote a review...

Well done! You did a great job of getting the reader invested in the characters even without much characterization. This prologue flows well and serves as a great hook for the story to come.

Some general comments:

The opening was really strong until, ". . . at the fallen body in front of them. A dead body." That last sentence took me out of the story a lot. I think the opening would be so much better if you simply said ". . . at the dead body in front of them" with no "dead body" clarification, especially because "fallen" doesn't add much. We can sort of infer that the body is on the ground.

The dialogue was pretty well-crafted, which is tough when you have to compose a scene like this where the characters are just standing there and arguing with at each other. One line did stick out as a little unnatural, though: “Lissa, who cares? There’s a body!” I would consider taking out that entire paragraph, since it doesn't add much. It would make it flow better from "Where's Sumner" to "He lured us here."

I noticed that when you introduce the first three characters, you give a description of their hair. This will work once, maybe even twice, but you should change it up beyond that. I like the description of "hair as dark as the hour" for the first man, but it would be good to switch it up a bit beyond that.

One other thing that became obvious after a while was when you had the characters address each other by name so the audience could learn the names of the characters. This works in places, but it becomes repetitive and confusing. And also, people won't often use the other person's name in normal conversation unless they are trying to get their attention. So you have a choice to make. Either leave out some of the names for now and fill in the reader later OR say the name of the characters when they are doing something. For example, you could say, "Abram, a tall, scruffy buzzed blond and the last of the group, locked eyes with each of his friends," thereby eliminating the need for Lissa to call him by name later on.

I enjoyed reading this very much, as I said, and I think that these small improvements would go a long way. Keep writing!

jessegrey says...

Thank you for your review! And lastly, another of my vices, the "hair" thing. I don't know why I stress about this so much! As I've mentioned before, this entire novel is actually already published, so if you see that in the future, that's the reasoning. But I've jotted it down so I can work on it for future writings, and for the sequel that I'm currently writing to this novel. I appreciate your comment about getting the reader invested in the characters, because I was worried about that with such a short scene, and as you said, the characters being generally immobile. So thank you for that and for your review in general!

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:46 am
Eofwestglendia says...

write more soon!

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:43 am
Eofwestglendia says...

That had to be one of the most interesting prologues i've ever read. You should definelty write more.

jessegrey says...

Thank you so much! I appreciate that more than you know. This prologue actually belongs to my already published novel, but I plan on posting more here, to get some feedback on and see what I could have possibly done differently, and what to work on in the future. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.
— Corey Ford