12+

The Prologue: Train Hopper

by frogforest

On Finer Days the Green Grass Sways (the prologue)

The hardest part of telling any story is the beginning. How do you snatch the reader out of their vivid, breathing world, and hold their attention, when words, inked onto a page, an inanimate object, seem so dull? I will try. But remember, I have made no promises. It might be a bit too early to say this, but if you are still reading this, if you haven’t decided something else, I don’t know what, is more interesting, then thank you. This is the story of how I found what it means, to me, to be happy. But it is also the story of how I killed myself in the process.

In all my days living in the small town, I knew there was more beyond the borders of endless tall pale green grass, stretching on for miles. Did I know what? Vaguely. Cities, other people, fast food everywhere, freight trains. But the question always was, how do I get there? Once a townie, always a townie. Vast expanses of tall green grass surround every corner of my town. Once I asked my father how far they reached, and of course, he confused ten year old me with talk of legends.

He said, “On finer days, the green grass sways. But never will it end. Or at least I think that’s how the ole’ story goes.”

Obviously this wasn’t the answer I was looking for. Maybe that moment is the reason I am who I am today.

My name’s Andy. The perfect gender neutral name. I’m not tall, but I wouldn’t say I’m short either. About average weight, but I always saw myself as blocky, shoulders too broad, no curves, and thick ankles. Every girl says this, but I don’t think I was like other girls. I never found makeup, dresses, dolls, and who-likes-who appealing. I played in the dirt with the boys in my neighborhood until my neighbor, Mrs. Laurie informed my mother that “It is unacceptable for a girl of her age (I was nine) to be surrounded by the influence of the local boys. It’s unnatural.” My parents, naturally, caved to the pressure, and I was banned from seeing my only friends.

I skipped classes when I first started high school. I tried drugs once. Personally, I’d say they were a bit too hyped up. I’m not pretty. That’s something Jackson from eighth grade liked to remind me on the daily. Needless to say, I punched him. In the face. Hard.

As for my family, we were normal, average, uninteresting, what’s another word for boring?

I had no siblings, something I blame my town for. Most parents only had one child. It was a tradition of some sort they never cared to explain, and eventually, no one questioned it. My parents never showed any appreciation towards me beyond the basic level. They hung up my school pictures in the front hall with the family seasonal photoshoots. They drove me to softball when I decided to play, made appearances at parent teacher conferences, and went on a few “family bonding” trips that were more for the benefit of the local gossip. 

Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:28 am

Hi frogforest,

Wow. This is really a very well thought out and great build up to a longer story. A big plus that jumps out at me is your narration. It can come across as a bit hectic at times, but generally I find it fitting for the character of Andy, who you introduce later.

I like the story so far and how you set it up. It seems stereotypical and boring in many ways, with lots of rumours and rules to follow. You've definitely made a good start in expanding the story and adding new chapters.

Your introduction was really, really good. I liked the tone of how you address the reader and how you hope they are still there when you get to the end of the section. I also liked the structure of how you referred to a brief introduction at the beginning, with a small moment in life that is probably relevant to the future, before Andy himself introduced himself.

As I said, I really like the storytelling at the moment, but also seems very hectic and and disorganised at times, and in the long run can cause the story to get out of hand and things not develop the way you want. With the passive way you try to keep the reader here, you manage to keep them hooked at the beginning, but over time that can change.

Other points that caught my eye:

Obviously this wasn't the answer I was looking for. Maybe that moment is the reason I am who I am today.

I like your transition here from this introductory point to the character. You've done that really well.

I tried drugs once. Personally, I'd say they were a bit too hyped up. I'm not pretty.

In contrast, I don't think the transition is there. Here you either need to describe yourself more, how you transition from drugs to beauty. :D

It was a well written beginning that makes you curious about the sequel. :D

I. LOVE. THIS. The first paragraph literally gave me chills. Please keep writing oh my lord

frogforest says...

Aw, thank you <3

Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:29 pm
Myre wrote a review...

Woah. I love Andy already, and I haven't even gotten to know them yet! I hope I get to see more of them, and your writing! Kudos for creating a believable, likeable character that pretty much anyone could get on board with!
I have no critiques other than that it's too short - which I would say for any length at all because I can see this being a novel already. :)

Have a good day!

Peace,

Myre

frogforest says...

Thank you so much! I'm glad that Andy's character is already starting to show!! :)

illy7896 wrote a review...

I think that this could really develop into a really nice story. I liked the line:

'I knew there was more beyond the borders of endless tall pale green grass, stretching for miles. Did I know what? Vaguely'

It illustrates that longing for somewhere else, that knowledge that there is a bigger world out there, yet unable to see it, or know, or learn about it. That recognition that freedom is there, somewhere beyond the tall green grass that seemingly went on forever.

Perhaps, where you put the list of what your parents did, instead of putting in sentences, maybe you could have a semi-colon. Just an idea:

'They hung up pictures in the front hall with the family seasonal photos; they drove me to softball when I decided to play; made appearances at parent-teacher conferences and went on a few "family bonding" trips that were more for the benefit of local gossip"'

Just to add variation to the punctuation

I really enjoyed this piece

frogforest says...

Thanks for the feedback! I might change the last sentence by adding semicolons

illy7896 says...

Awesome, no problem

First Impression: HMm...for a prologue this is a little disappointing...I feel like its really missing out on having that x factor of sorts. I really would have liked to see a bit more excitement than this...as a first chapter, this would come off as interesting...but as a prologue...it feels unnecessary.

Well...that's certainly a very interesting opening I will say. I do enjoy a bit of witty banter by the one narrating this to us and it looks like this will have some of that. That last line too is pretty intriguing...definitely made me want to find out what it was all about. At any rate....it has gotten my curiosity somewhat stirred up.

Well...that seems like a typical thing to wish for...not to mention a pretty typical response to recieve from your dad at ten years old. Still fairly normal though...I'm hoping there will be a bit more questions asked here before this ends because with a prologue you do generally want to have a lot questions at the end of it.

Yeah...that sounds more like a wannabe poet that someone just answering a question to be honest...like not many people talk that way in normal conversation.

Ouch...that sounds like a really rough childhood right there...sad that people tend to judge like that...but...um...okay...this is still backstory though...I need to see more mystery than this if its a prologue.

Interesting facts but...kind of feels disjointed...like I can see these things are all about high school, but they don't seem to connect to one another.

Typical...

Sounds like a typically bad childhood...doesn't seem too horrifying...but then this is also a very abrupt end...I really feel like something more had to be said here....this is just not a great place to end and while we learn stuff its nothing particularly mysterious or interesting...it reminds me of just a random backstory dump to be honest...not to be harsh...just what I feel when I read it. It doesn't even seem to have much emotion in it.

Overall: Overall, this was interesting...I wouldn't say it isn't...its just not quite got that spark you expect from a prologue...the sort of thing you want to see that can hook you for a story...sorry if that sounds a bit harsh.

frogforest says...

Thank you so much for the harsh criticism! I definitely feel like it was lacking the power that I wanted it to have. I might rewrite it, or add it little bits and pieces to round it out. The part with the dad speaking is a bit off, and I might exclude it completely, because while it does have relevance to the story, I might not have included it in the right way.
I really appreciate your advice, and will be looking back at it for reference later!

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!!
Glad I could help!!

SoullessGinger says...

Wow, this is really cool! I'm very intrigued by what does actually lies beyond the grass. I'm excited for the next chapter.

rida says...

I love this! The starting really does captivate the reader and I’m really looking forward to the 1st chapter!

ForeverYoung299 says...

"The hardest part of telling any story is the beginning. How do you snatch the reader out of their vivid, breathing world, and hold their attention, when words, inked onto a page, an inanimate object, seem so dull? I will try. But remember, I have made no promises. It might be a bit too early to say this, but if you are still reading this, if you haven’t decided something else, I don’t know what, is more interesting, then thank you. This is the story of how I found what it means, to me, to be happy. But it is also the story of how I killed myself in the process." - at first i thought it was something like an article that told how to write a story, but then it turned to be a story about yourself.

overall, it's a good story. about yourselfa nd also about your emotions.

i hope i ahve helped you through my review

yosh wrote a review...

Why, hello there @frogforest! I saw your recent activity on the Newbies Club, and I stumbled upon this work, so I decided to review it!

The hardest part of telling any story is the beginning. How do you snatch the reader out of their vivid, breathing world, and hold their attention, when words, inked onto a page, an inanimate object, seem so dull?

I'm usually not one to say "HOLY COW", but HOLY COW that is a very, very, very good hook. I don't know if you intended it or not (I'm pretty sure you intended it), but starting off bluntly and stating "How can I make the reader interested?" literally gets the reader interested. From the start, I can already tell that this is going to be a very good story. Without any other information, just from reading the first sentence, I can determine the professionalism and the amount of thought you put into this. Very good work.

It might be a bit too early to say this, but if you are still reading this, if you haven’t decided something else, I don’t know what, is more interesting, then thank you.

At this point, you might be going a little bit over the top. You've already had a long passage that hooked the reader, but don't leave the hook there too long! Hooks have to be short and enticing, but pulled away quickly, lest the reader end up confused. You see, you start off with a pretty long sentence that is grammatically correct, but mentally arduous to read. This sentence is, too, very hard to read and strains the mind of the reader. If you are going to use this sentence, then split it apart, because you have waaaaaay to many clauses here. In fact, this could be classified as a run-on, but to others, possibly not.

This is the story of how I found what it means, to me, to be happy. But it is also the story of how I killed myself in the process.

I appreciated the bluntness in the beginning, but . . . this is a little bit too blunt. It's okay to start off with "This is the story of how I found what it means to be happy", which is a pretty general statement, and leaves the reader with a nice, existential feeling for the rest of the book, but then "how I killed myself in the process" is WAY over the top. Never mention extremely important things like death, marriage, or huge points of a story like that. It's good to give the reader a little information on what's going to happen, but saying that the narrator is going to die? That is pretty brutal on the reader. It gives a sense that you'll be tossing around deaths casually, and that isn't very enticing. If you are going to toss around deaths, don't do it casually, and make it emotional; make the reader cry.

But I'm getting off topic. What I'm trying to say is that you need to slow down with the information. Let the reader get the feel of the story. In fact, you can slap in some dialogue here to make the flow more natural.

Oooooh I'm getting a feel that an adventure is coming up. The fact that the narrator asks "How do I get [to the cities]?" really encourages the reader to continue.

Also, Andy's dad seems like a really nice potential supporting character not gonna lie.

This is what I was talking about earlier! By slapping in some dialogue, you let the reader get the feel of things while still setting up the exposition and not making it too boring. Kudos!

My parents, naturally, caved to the pressure, and I was banned from seeing my only friends.

Oof. Poor Andy.

Haha love this sentence. Although you probably should have put an "and" before "what's".

Alright, so now it's getting really interesting. You're putting in some dystopian parts into this story and it's really creeping me out! The parents seem so cold! Everything seems to be following around some basic tradition/religion! Perfect idea for a dystopian.

Anyways, great work on this story! I hope you were satisfied with this review!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers and Eggs!

yoshi

frogforest says...

Thank you for writing this review! I definitely see what you mean in the first passage. I think might have been trying a little too hard, and it probably was a huge pain to read. I might try to foreshadow the ending instead of outright saying it. I don't want death to seem like a casual occurrence, I really want to go for the long emotion journey that I've seen by a lot of authors.
Again, thank you so much!!!

yosh says...

@frogforest i actually have a suggestion for foreshadowing the beginning

instead of

This is the story of how I found what it means, to me, to be happy. But it is also the story of how I lost myself in the process.

Just a suggestion! You're absolutely welcome for the review! Thank you for writing something so wonderful!

frogforest says...

OMG that's so good!!! I think I'm going to steal that!

yosh says...

yup it's a little bit of dramatic irony because it seems pretty general until the main character dies and the reader sees the real meaning

AND THEN

you insert something like "That was how I lost myself".

frogforest says...

WAIT STOP THAT'S REALLY GOOD!!!!

frogforest says...

WAIT STOP THAT'S REALLY GOOD!!!!

yosh says...

o-o am i talking too much lol

sorry this should be your story

:) good luck, though!

frogforest says...

Thank you, I'm still going to find a way to somehow add that idea in. Maybe it won't be with the same exact words, but I think it might be really interesting to weave in with the plot line.

It's crazy how your life can be twisted upside down inside out and around and you can get sushi from safeway still looking like a normal person
— starchild314