z

Young Writers Society



Callisto

by Rook



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
233 Reviews


Points: 19633
Reviews: 233

Donate
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:27 pm
View Likes
Cithara says...



Fortis-
I don't know if you remember me, I just popped back on here to see what's happening. What I haven't forgotten is your inspiring poetic style! That last line prompted a chuckle out of me. It sort of brings the reader back to the innocent tone of a letter whereas the rest of the poem deviates from that into a more engrossing, imagery-rich narrative. (Does that make sense? This isn't even a review, I'm just out of practice with commenting on any work haha).
Bravo!




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:30 am
View Likes
alliyah says...



Ah the flow and rhyme in this piece was fantastic and I loved the bits of humor especially in the beginning and end. :) Nice piece fort!




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 499
Reviews: 12

Donate
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:59 pm
riotheselcouth says...



ey, am just curious and too lazy to browse about the difference between tomato and tomahto?

—riotheselcouth🍂




Rook says...


https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/tomayto,_tomahto see: suggest distinction without a difference. she's implying a fool, hunter, and king are all the same.





Ahhhh okayyyy, ty



User avatar
616 Reviews


Points: 122617
Reviews: 616

Donate
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:53 pm
FlamingPhoenix wrote a review...



Hello fellow writer, FlamingPhoneix here to drop off a review for you on this lovely night, and to help get your work out the green room.

Okay let's begin.

So I only saw one small mistake, and I have a feeling it might have been a typo, so I'll show you.

tomato, tomahto, the same old things.

Okay so the word in bold is what I'm talking about. I'm sure the H doesn't need to be in the work tomato. That is why I think it's just a typo. Unless you meant to spell it like that, i could be wrong.

Anyway other than that I really liked this poem, it told a really good story that was filled with deep emotion and passion. It has been written really, really well, and I enjoyed reading it. I still don't no were you got this idea for the poem from, but I'm glad I had the time to read it, it really was amazing. I'm not very good with punctuation but in my eyes I think you have done a wonderful job, it all flowed together really well, and there was no trouble while I was reading.
I really love the ending, makes it sound like a love letter with the way you have put the words and written it, and I'm sure that is what you were going for.
Anyway the layout of this poem was perfect and I can see you have thought it through that's why it fits together so well.

So that's all from me for now, I hope I will get to read another one of our works soon, because I really enjoyed this, it was a lot of fun to tell you what I thought of your poem, and have the chance to read it. I hope you will post again soon, have a great day or night, either one.

Your friend
FlamingPhoenix.
Reviewing with a fiery passion!




Rook says...


RE: tomahto

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/tomayto,_tomahto see: suggest distinction without a difference. she's implying a fool, hunter, and king are all the same.





oh okay I understand.



User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:46 pm
View Likes
Mageheart wrote a review...



Hey there, fortis! I'm a little rusty on reviewing poetry, but I wanted to try my hand at reviewing your work after I saw your wall post about it.

I had a sneaking suspicion that it was a reference to Greek mythology, and a quick search on Google proved me right! I had never heard of the myth before - it was interesting being introduced to the characters in your poem and reading what it was inspired by. I love how you took a classical Greek myth and turned it into a more modern take.

I'm not entirely sure if this was your intention, but the conversation between Cyllene and Callisto reads like a conversation between a new mother and a knowing one who's already been through the experience of her children growing up. I love the words you described to use to describe the transition Arcus would undergo during his time in school. It was one of the things that stuck out to me when reading through this before the myth - as well as the comment about Halloween costumes.

After reading the myth, I love the little references you threw in - calling Zeus The Monster and Artemis the Faithless Goddess just felt right. Zeus was very much the monster of that tale, and Artemis was faithless when she didn't give Callisto a chance to tell her side of the story. It's a touch that I didn't notice until I was writing this review, and a touch that I wholeheartedly love.

The only critique I have about this poem is the lack of explanation for the myth of Callisto. It might be a good idea to either give a brief summary of or leave a link to a site that explains the myth so readers on YWS know the context of your piece - I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I didn't decide to google the names mentioned in the poem.

But, overall, great job with this poem! I can't wait to read more of your poetry in the future, whenever you end up posting more.

Image





Have you met a cow or another large animal?
— Liminality