My Phenology

by fiction903

Phenology

phenology is the study of nature. tell me what you think.

Today is a beautiful day. The suns golden rays are kissing the earth making the heavy blanket of snow sparkle like diamonds. The sky begs for forgiveness for the snowy wrath it unleashed last night. As I sit on a hill overlooking the forest, I hear the faint call of the chickadee and the rustling of the leaves on a on a young oak sapling, the dead leaves feebly clinging to the branches because the tree has not yet grown an seperation layer. To the left of me there stands a mature red maple.It's tiny crimson buds containing carbon copies of new spring leaves waiting to unfurl themselves once again. The trees standing in silence as there snow laden branches reach toward the sky as they wait for the arrival of the red wing black bird the messenger of spring.

MinisterOfHighHopes wrote a review...

It was very good. Very descriptive and poetic. The only flaw I could find was the line about the separation layer. Everything was so breathtaking. I just thought this line was a little odd. But other than that, it was awesome. :)

fiction903 says...

Thanks for the comments :smt003 .

Elinor wrote a review...

Hi Fiction! Here is your review, as requested-sorry it's a bit delayed.

My main problem with this piece is that it is kind of dull. We're reading about an outdoor scene. Yeah, so? I'm sure it's pretty outside, but what's the point of it? Why should the reader care? What theme/intent do you want us to walk away with? If you can't sum that up in a short paragraph, I say expand upon it. Make this a scene in a short story. Maybe you could string this up of several different 'Phenolgies'. Whatever you feel works best for you.

However, this was interesting concept. In one short paragraph, you sum up a lot while using brilliant word choice to compliment it. I love the analogies you make, and you really paint a clear picture in my mind. I'd like to see revised version of this.

-Elinor

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:02 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. wrote a review...

Hello, I am AspiringAuthorA..M. and shall be your reviewer tonight.

Today is a beautiful day. The suns golden rays are kissing the earth#FF0000 ">, making the heavy blanket of snow sparkle like diamonds. The sky begs for forgiveness for the snowy wrath it unleashed last night. As I sit on a hill overlooking the forest, I hear the faint call of the chickadee#FF0000 ">, and the rustling of the leaves on a on a young oak sapling, the dead leaves feebly clinging to the branches#FF0000 ">, because the tree has not yet grown an seperation #FF0000 ">separation layer. Goodness, that is one huge sentence. To the left of me#FF0000 ">, there stands a mature red maple. Be sure and have a space after a period. It's tiny crimson buds contain#0040FF ">ing carbon copies of new spring leaves#FF0000 ">, waiting to unfurl themselves once again. The trees#FF0000 ">, standing in silence as there #FF0000 ">their snow laden branches reach toward the sky#008040 ">, as they wait for the arrival of the red wing black bird#FF0000 ">, the messenger of spring.

Don't forget those comas. :D

Now, as for the coma I have in green, I would not trust me on that one. I'm not exactly sure if it's needed. :? Nice imagery you have in your little piece.

- :smt059

Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:33 am
EDay wrote a review...

Hey it's Erin, and I loved this. Phenology isn't normally the subject I read but definitely you caught my attention well. You did an awesome job of describing without being direct; you used very good vocabulary but not too much to where it feels like someone is reading a dictionary.
I think this is a very good start, and I'd love to hear more.

The suns golden rays are kissing the earth making the heavy blanket of snow sparkle like diamonds.
I think this one is my favorite sentence, it captures the readers thoughts, and it's very attractively written.
As I sit on a hill overlooking the forest,(#FF0000 ">you left the comma out and it's an adverb clause) I hear the faint call of the chickadee and the rustling of the leaves on a on a (#FF0000 ">you repeated that) young oak sapling, the dead leaves feebly clinging(#FF0000 ">I don't know that doesn't sound right maybe it's feebly cling. Don't trust me but I think that's how it goes) to the branches because the tree has not yet grown an seperation layer.
#FF0000 ">This sentence is very meaty, and I think you should split it into two sentences like: As I sit on a hill overlooking the forest, I hear the faint call of the chickadee and the rustling of the leaves on a young oak sapling. The dead leaves feebly cling to the branches because the tree has not yet grown a seperation layer.
I love this so far, just PM when you get my edits and give me your comments.

If you don't sign up for a review team, you're basically saying you're okay with canine amphibian metamorphosis.
— Nate