Ode to the Imaginary Cat

by fandomsNmusic

I can see you, cat.

You’re watching,

Sneaking,

Waiting.

You’re trying to pretend

That I can’t see you,

But I can!

You’re watching,

Sneaking,

Waiting.

Just waiting for the right moment,

Sneaking around me,

Just watching my every move.

You’re quite observant,

and yet you never stay long.

You attempt to pretend

That you don’t care about me!

But I know that you do,

Because you’re always watching me.

Sneaking around me.

Waiting until I have time for you.

Oh, cat,

I know you love me!

So I hope you’ll understand,

That I had to leave you,

That’s all,

There’s no one else for you.

You can live with my brother,

But we both know,

That won’t be the same.

Because I adore you, my cat!

I love that you watch.

You sneak.

You wait.

Always remaining.

Because it’s me that you love.

But I’ll never have time for you,

Do you understand me,

My imaginary cat?

Elijah says...

The beginning just killed me!
Good job,woman! (never gonna change this nicknames of yours sowwy dear)
I like this short poetry even though I am wanting it to be longer!
This will be quite the short review.I do not know why the idea of this whole work makes me laugh.I love cats,overall,though they may hate me. (ugh ugh)
The start with the lines kind of not put in order to the left or to the right..I do not know what to say about it but it really surprised me..in the good way,of course.I like it and I hope it is not only me.Your punctuation and grammar is perfect (i usually complain a lot about this so plus point for you,woman) so I can not really say something negative here and nowin this point,maybe only more deepness in the describtion.There is a bit of a repeatment in the middle parts of this work which is kinda making it odd.

Good job,woman!

Thank you, Rain-San. ^-^

Elijah wrote a review...

The beginning just killed me!

Good job,woman!

InfiniteRectangles wrote a review...

Hello, InfiniteRectangles here!

First, I would like to say that I really love cats! I have 5 of them xD I also really liked the format of your poem. It was fun and creative (and I love when poets experiment a little. Structured stanzas all the time get boring!)

That being said, I was left with several questions at the end that I feel would make your poem stronger if they were addressed/clarified earlier in the poem, so the reader isn't so confused at the end (although my confusion could also just be a result of my own ignorance.) Anyway, I don't really understand why the cat is imaginary, and why you would have to give away an imaginary cat. Is this a metaphor for something?

Also, as Rydia has already pointed out, the middle gets a bit repetitive and makes the reader start to lose interest. If a poem is going to have repetition, it needs to be placed in a way that keeps the reader's attention throughout.

It seems that everything else has already been addressed, so I won't iterate them. I don't want to sound like a broken record, after all. Overall, your poem was really cute, and the format was fun, but your delivery could use slight improvement. Give the kitty some more kitty-like characteristics. Show, don't tell!

Alrighty. That's all I have for you. Keep writing and have a wonderful day/night! :D

Thanks so much for the review! Wow are you serious? 5 cats? I am so jealous right now.... I don't even have one cat xD

Hello! Shape poetry - I love how this looks like a cat staring at you and it's a great first impression to have of the poem. It also goes well with the title so nice work there.

1. Try to avoid using 'just' unless you're trying to create a hesitant effect. It's one of those filler words which has a habit of slowing down poetry or creating a sense of uncertainty. It's nice to use when you're being ironic or building a vulnerable persona but in a fun, spirited poem it could be replaced with almost any adjective to make a stronger line. Instead of 'Just watching my every move' it could be:

slow watching my every move
slyly watching my every move
alertly watching my every move

Any of these describe the action of the cat better and add a little more depth to the writing.

2.

You attempt to pretend

That you don’t care about me!

But I know that you do,

Sometimes the wording of the poem is very literal and it might be fun to have more descriptive or situation lines. Like 'You turn your head and flick your tail but I know your ears are pricked in my direction'. Obviously this is only a quick write up but it would be nice to get some more cat characteristics in here.

I wish I understood the context better here! Like why is the cat imaginary and why can't the persona keep it, particularly if it's only imaginary? I'm left with a few questions at the end and some clarity would be nice so we can better understand the story and the emotions involved.

I also think the middle part could be shortened. You have a smooth start but the middle gets repetitive and then we're hit at the end with the information that the cat is both imaginary and being left behind. I think you should try to introduce one of these two points more earlier (and yes, I suppose the title should have told us the cat was imaginary but I forgot that again when it didn't get mentioned for a while).

Anyway, thanks for the read and best of luck with this!

~Heather

Vellichor wrote a review...

First off, I loved this. This was a really fun poem and I even like cats (two of them at home :D) and I actually thought that the format you went with added to the overall vibe. Don't wanna do too much restating of what hailpanda3 said, but the repetition was a nice touch as well, kinda made the whole thing even more lighthearted to me and just fun to read!

On another note, I hope you can get a cat someday XD

Me too! Wait, you guys would guess that.... xD

hailpanda3 wrote a review...

Hai there!
It's hailpanda3~

Okay so I don't write poetry so I shall give you a review from the reader's side. Like if you know what I mean.

Okay so I'll start with complaints/dislikes.

This is gonna be hard because I liked your piece so much...
Maybe the format? I was kinda confused on it when I first read it but then I understood how it made your poem cool. (I guess thats not really a dislike but...)
It does have emotion at the end but throughout the poem I just didn't really feel it.
Uh... I just skip to the likes :3

Okay now the likes!

This poem absolutely shows a cat personality. (I have 2)
It is a repetitive-type of a poem since you repeat a bunch of stuff which makes it a little more simple for readers.
I like at the end how it was only an imaginary cat so it makes you wonder...
Anyway i'm not that great at poetry again, so I can't do good reviews at all (I just like cats)

Okay so I have a question.
You had that cool format at the start but just kinda stopped in the middle. Why? (so I know nothing but i'm just wondering)

Okay bye now..........
Sorry for the bad review........
I talk too much.........
Bye then~
Nice work!!!!

No! It's cool, I actually loved this review. Formatting is always a challenge for me because the way I write it always gets changed when I put it up. No matter how many times I try to change it, it always changes back. I don't have any cats, but I love them and wish I had some and that's where my inspiration for this came from. Yes, you're right, it is a repetitive-type poem. :) In the middle it disappeared a bit because I didn't feel the need for it. *shrug* I'm glad you liked it, thanks so much for this review!

i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni