Adam

by elysian

Nothing ever changes.

Everyday I wear the same boring hairstyle, the same stupid makeup, say the same normal words, talk to the same horrible people, and live in the same dark world.

Everyone promises things will get better but honestly, I don't think it will. I don't even know what I want to do with my life, I'm just stuck in the same thing over and over and over.

But things changed when I met Adam. Adam wasn't like the rest, he was different, unique. He didn't utter the same unimportant words like every one else, he chose them carefully and particularly.

He didn't have the same boring eyes as everyone here either, they were green with specks of blue and they spoke wisdom and they spoke kindness and love. And they spoke the most beautiful poetry to me.

Of course, Adam could never know about me. I would just bring him down with me, I would just hurt him, and I would just bore him. I wasn't worthy of such a pleasant thing. Because I broke everything I touch, I did not deserve Adam.

Yes, I loved him. Oh god did I love Adam. I thought of him each day instead of doing my work and I thought of all the beautiful things he brought into my dull world and I thought about how he made me want to be something that I knew I couldn't be.

I was an outcast, someone that doesn't belong with Adams of the world. I was to stay away from him and to pretend I didn't care and I was to fade into the background. I would not say hi to him, I would not stare at him, I will not, I will not.

But I did. I broke the rules. I went up to him day after day to say hello, like he was a drug and I was begging to get high. He was my everything. He was sweet, and I think he started to return the feelings I felt for him.

He asked me if I would go with him to the theatre, But how could I? I loved him too much to break him. I would not break him. I would not do it.

But I went, and I went, and I went. I loved him and he loved me and soon he become as grey and as boring and as hopeless as I was.

Adam was different until he met me. He was sweet, kind, and his eyes bred hope.

And now Everyday he wears the same boring hairstyle, says the same normal words, talks to the same horrible people, and lives in the same dark world, because I was selfish and developed myself a drug habit that involved Adam.

Tay01 wrote a review...

Wow this is quite different. It's an odd story. I understood everything, read everything and looked up everything but the story suddenly did not make sense at the end. I am really sorry if I may start hurting your feelings just because of this little review.

Alright. About the start. I really understood about the dark world that 'you' (in the story) lived in. I hate to say this but you explained nearly too much that your dark world felt like a dark, abandoned dungeon right under an old and abandoned castle which was only used 1in the early 1300s instead.

Now about Adam. I do not really understand why and how Adam suddenly turned out to be 'The One.' It was quite curious. Did Adam just join your school? If he did, please explain it (sorry if I actually missed this part and suddenly made this up).

Now the last part, when Adam loved 'you.' Why did he suddenly, just magically suddenly turn boring. I thought that you were cursed and whoever you talked to or loved turned boring and dull. Please try and edit this.

Well that is it.

Love,
~~Tay01

elysian says...

I'm sorry if what I'm about to say is rude, but you did not get one part of this story. Basically, this whole thing is like a metaphor. Basically, this is kind of inspired from The Giver, weverythings grey and dull and always the same, but this one guy, she notices him, doesn't matter if he just came there or have been there forever, and she's so obsessed with how he's colorfully and different and kind, she devolves, metaphorically, a drug habit of Adam, as if Adam is her drug. She falls in love and he falls in love and after a while he became like everyone else because he fell in love with the main character.

Tay01 says...

Oh sorry then. My bad. I never do good at metaphors and imagining the other side of the story. :(

Whosabell says...

I get it, he's not really a drug nor is he what your in love with. And your also jelous, that Adams different, colorful, and just different then your averaged love.
And even if I don't get it, I tried. And you can at least try to act like im doing right.

Tay01 says...

Oh yeah! Right Whosabell

Whosabell says...

Good, im happy someone gets it!

elysian says...

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I will not have someone judge me badly on something they don't even understand.

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:51 am
rainforest says...

Odd. My name is Adam.

elysian says...

Odd :)

Tay01 says...

so unknown391625, you are no more unknown since you've just revealed your name? :D

Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:59 am
Kortez wrote a review...

Hello~!
Well. This is an interesting story that you have written here. I did find a couple of minor errors, but everyone makes mistakes. ;)
Let me get this out of the way, though.
"And now Everyday he wears the same boring hairstyle,"
You shouldn't capitalize the "E" in "everyday".
Other than that, there were just a few minor things that I saw.
But let me praise this first.
This is extremely interesting. For some reason, I found it quite enjoyably suspenseful, if that makes any sense. XD The protagonist never says what she did to Adam to make him normal, or what her dark world was really like. And the reader never knows if the "drug habit" is just a metaphor or is actually the consumption of drugs, and I think that that aspect itself is very interesting. (Sorry, I just like metaphors XD )
Also, this had some sort of eerie feeling to me at the end. When I was reading it, I got some sort of a chill down my spine. Your details were simple to me, but they enhanced the piece just enough for the reader to picture it in their mind.
I could also feel the girl's want for Adam. I could feel her desire to want to talk to him, but she didn't want to 'break him.'
This story leaves a lot of loose ends, which I found very enjoyable.
Overall, great story, and such a creative idea.
Keep writing~!
Have a great day! <3
~Kortez

elysian says...

Thank you! I honestly wrote this in a word war so in 10 minutes. So that may be why it has loose ends and small mistakes

elysian says...

Also, the drug habit would be Adam, not actual drugs :)

When Larry King retires in 120 years John Mulaney should replace him.
— The Internet