12+

Shadow's Rising Wing 3-4 interlude (Mordon)

by dragonight9

Author’s note: all speaking with Hɛ ɪd͡ʒɹɹll dɹəcn. in front of it will be in dragon in the final product but has not been translated for your convenience (and ability to review).

--------------------------------------------------

9 years ago...

The clinking and scraping of chains seemed to echo as something large was dragged through the eerily silent torchlit hallways of the underground palace.

A massive pair of steel doors groaned and shrieked in metal agony as they opened into the dimly lit throne room.

The stone walls were smoothly carved to create a long corridor, at the end of which was a raised platform and a single throne. Columns supported by stone carvings of dragons in torturous positions lined the length of the room. Each dragon statue depicting an even more painful position until statues next to the throne displayed matching pairs of stone dragons crushed completely under their columns. Large torches cast flickering red light on the room as they hung from the columns.

The place smelled of freshly cut stone, old ashes, and dried blood.

Again, the clink iron shackles, accompanied by the scrape of horn and scales on the cold stone floor, echoed in the deathly quiet cavern as the source of the noise was dragged in.

It was a large dragon with bright red scales dulled by the dark flickering light and stained by blood. Both its own and that of those who had eventually caused its downfall.

The fresh smell of blood, sweat, and dirt filled the room, assaulting the nostrils of the room’s sole occupant.

Hauling the dragon behind them were the dragon hunters. A now significantly smaller group that had once enjoyed the suffering and capture of dragons nearly as much as that of their own kind. The heavy chains that bound the dragon were held by ten of the group and each one looked worse for wear.

This beast was no ordinary dragon. This dauntless Flame Wing had defended its comrades from a force of over a hundred dragon hunters and slain no less than 30 of them itself. In the end though, not a single one of its precious friends survived, and now he was being brought before the ruler of the dragon trading underworld.

On a throne carved from black marble he awaited the prize catch of the year. A tribute every dragon hunting party was required to give, least they give up not only their right to hunt, but also their lives.

This human who alone had started the capturing and trading of dragons, and who alone had discovered the mind controlling properties of the mind gems. Had suddenly appeared in the capital and quickly rose to power using his intellect, magic, and lack of anything resembling empathy.

It was he who had aided the founder of Dragon Rider Academy by introducing the mind gems to a powerful mage with a passion for dragons. And now he completely controlled the production and distribution of them.

This man… the king of shadows…

Mordon.

He lounged on his throne as the exhausted dragon hunters heaved the dragon’s body closer. His face showed a lack of interest as he gazed down at them. The upper half of his face was obscured in shadow by the dark hood of his Night Wing scale cloak.

On a chain around his neck hung a strange shimmering gem or crystal. It looked similar to quartz on the outside, but the inside swirled and pulsed with many colors of magic. The gem was about the size of a human baby and shaped like a dragon’s heart.

Suddenly the dragon shuddered and groaned as it slowly started moving.

“It’s awake! Everyone, hold on!” One of the dragon hunters shouted in a panic.

The dragon seemed confused at first as it grimaced in pain. Then it noticed the restriction of its movements and tried to move, slowly at first but with more and more vigor as it woke.

The dragon struggled against its chains with its full strength for a moment but when the dragon hunters held firm it roared in defiance and frustration.

A small smirk formed on Mordon’s mouth as he leaned forward on his throne in amusement.

The Flame Wing was able to roll onto its feet even while still flat on the ground. Then it started to rise, inch by inch. It groaned with effort while its face contorted in pain.

The dragon hunters pulled with all their might but started to get dragged closer as the dragon stood taller and taller.

The dragon finally stood with a thunderous roar. Hɛ ɪd͡ʒɹɹll dɹəcn. “You humans will pay for what you have done to my brethren! Thus declares the king Char of the Flame Wings!”

And with that it whipped its tail around and caught one of the chains the dragon hunters were holding. For a split second, dragon and human stared into each other’s eyes as the lone dragon hunter pleaded for his life. Then the dragon flipped its tail back, yanking the chain and dragon rider with it so that he splattered against a nearby column.

The rest of the dragon hunters cried with fright, and one dropped the chain he was holding to flee. Unfortunately, it was one of two chains holding the dragon’s foreleg and with his companion gone, the second was yanked off his feet. He went flying towards the Flame Wing who snapped him up in its jaws.

The dragon crushed him just as he started to scream and spat him out before roaring its fury at the remaining dragon hunters. Fresh blood dripping from its mouth.

“Well, isn’t this entertaining… Drop the ropes. I think I’ll handle this one,” A deep and ominous voice echoed from the direction of the throne.

The dragon hunters immediately dropped the chains in relief and scrambled back. But when they looked in the direction they were fleeing their legs turned to jelly and a few even fell flat on their faces in fear.

Slowly and confidently Mordon was descending the last few stairs from his raised platform while holding up the dragon hunter who had fled without permission. The dragon hunter was suspended in the air by a massive, gloved hand covering his face. The man’s voice was a muffled scream as he futilely plucked at the iron grip crushing his skull.

Then, without a word, Mordon froze the man’s head into a block of ice before crushing it as easily as one would a peach.

The other dragon hunters trembled before him as he approached. He had a small wolfish grin, and though his gaze never left the dragon, none could remain standing in his presence.

But even his display of casual brutality wasn’t the reason for the weakening of their knees. Such things were commonplace in his service and seemed trivial when compared to the terror evoked by the magic aura emanating from him. It was a dark pressure that forced all to their knees before him as they shivered from the weight and depth of his power.

The Flame Wing quickly threw off his chains and roared like an animal backed into a corner before unleashing a stream of flame at the horrifying human before him.

Without pausing, or even blinking, Mordon walked head on into the stream of flame which quickly engulfed him.

The men nearby cried in pain as the heat singed their hair and even partially melted their armor despite the flames being far out of reach.

But even through the fear and pain one of them noticed something moving in the flames. As the stream of fire ceased both dragon and human were astonished and paralyzed with fear to find the Mordon hadn’t even broken stride and even his cloak was not charred in the slightest.

Then Mordon paused and glanced over his shoulder at the remaining dragon hunters. The grin was gone and from what could be seen of his face, disappointment was the only emotion that remained.

“Oh, you’re still here? I suppose you have done well enough. You may go collect your reward from the treasurer.”

Mordon sighed quietly.

The dragon hunters didn’t need to be told a second time and scrambled to a side door at the back of the room. All except for one who hid behind a column at the back of the room to watch.

The dragon tried to retreat but Mordon threw up his hand, causing a mound of earth to shut and seal the steel door at the entrance. The doors slammed closed with a thunderous screech and boom.

The dragon hissed again. Hɛ ɪd͡ʒɹɹll dɹəcn. “I do not fear you human! I will tear you apart for the sake of my fallen comrades!”

Mordon laughed mirthlessly as the dragon charged at him. He batted away the dragon’s talons with a single hand and slapped its face aside when it tried to bite him.

With an incredulous growl the dragon spun around to kick with its hind legs and whip him with its tail. Hɛ ɪd͡ʒɹɹll dɹəcn. “How is this human so strong? What has it done to gain such power?”

Mordon blocked the kick with a thud that shook the room. Though the carved stone beneath him cracked the man himself barely flinched.

Then he caught the dragon’s tail under one arm before swinging it around like a rag doll and slamming it into the stone covering the steel door.

Stunned, dragon shook its head to recover and leapt up. Hovering just below the roof as it let out another stream of flame.

“Enough of that.” Mordon commented in annoyance as he slammed the dragon to the ground using wind magic. The stream of flame was cut off just as it started, and the dragon howled in pain as its body hit the ground with a sickening thud.

Then he tied the dragon to the ground with thick roots covering everything except the dragon’s head and neck.

It was hard for that dragon hunter watching to tell if the groaning sounds he heard came from the twisting trunks or the dragon’s bones.

The Flame Wing struggled briefly before unleashing one last desperate stream of flame, but Mordon quickly doused the flames with a torrent of water. This left the dragon choking and desperately taking in air even as his neck was squeezed by vines.

“The Flame Wings have certainly fallen far. You can’t even handle this much? Your pitiful flame isn’t even enough to keep me warm,” Mordon sighed as he looked into the Flame Wing’s eyes with disappointment.

The dragon shrank back as it hissed at him again. This time with a noticeable tremble in its voice.

Hɛ ɪd͡ʒɹɹll dɹəcn. “Ha! Don’t try to intimidate me human. You can’t even understand a word I am saying. And I would never reveal the secrets of my tribe even if you could!”

Mordon placed his boot on the dragon’s snout and leaned into the dragon’s ear as his cruel smile widened even further.

Hɛ ɪd͡ʒɹɹll dɹəcn. “I can… and you will,” he hissed ominously, as his shadow covered the dragon’s face.

Stickied -- Mon May 20, 2024 1:33 am
dragonight9 says...

I wanted to extend the length of this chapter so if you have anything you think might add to this dark and ominous character, feel free to let me know. :)

Also, I may not mention Mordon in the previous chapter for the sake of keeping his true identity a secret (though some readers will be able to speculate because of the magic he uses)

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Oh wow, that was awesome! This chapter was a great way to introduce Mordon, and some of the evils he's already had a hand in, without revealing too much about his plans and his full capabilities! Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

I didn't find any recommendations to make, myself! I loved the atmosphere, the action, the dialogue, and the details we were able to glean. Now in fairness, with foreshadow-y (doubt that's a word but I'm using it anyway XD) chapters like this, it's hard to tell if they reveal too much or too little until you read the next part, but right now, it fits very well with what we do know, and it does a great job building anticipation for the next stage in the story.

Great writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

First of all, setting and descriptions! Both were awesome; the gloomy dungeon-esque feel, the evil throne, the vivid sensory notes that make you feel like you're in a dangerous place. Even down to the details like this:

Columns supported by stone carvings of dragons in torturous positions lined the length of the room. Each dragon statue [depicted] an even more painful position until statues next to the throne displayed matching pairs of stone dragons crushed completely under their columns.

It's so dramatic, I love it! Reading on, I found myself so wrapped up in the chapter that I forgot to make notes as I read, heh heh. Mainly because of all the incredible details you wove into each new part of the scene that told us more about the kind of evil human forces have to offer...

Hauling the dragon behind them were the dragon hunters. A now significantly smaller group that had once enjoyed the suffering and capture of dragons nearly as much as that of their own kind.

Ooou, so there are still dragon hunters out there? Like not even people who capture and exploit dragons like the people at the academy, who at least had some baseline respect for the creatures and recognized their power, but like actual hunters? Oh man! I mean, I guess it's only natural to believe that would be the case for some groups, considering how easy it is for people to see dragons as mere beasts. But still! It's so different from what we've already seen regarding human-dragon relations that it had such an impact!

The upper half of his face was obscured in shadow by the dark hood of his Night Wing scale cloak.

Okay, the fact that Mordon is wearing a cloak of Night Wing scales...I don't know exactly what to make of this yet, but it's such an eerie detail.

For a split second, dragon and human stared into each other’s eyes as the lone dragon hunter pleaded for his life. Then the dragon flipped its tail back, yanking the chain and dragon rider with it so that he splattered against a nearby column.

The amount of gore-rich violence and the incredible feats of magic seemed so much different even from the more intensive fights, like the one with Jarid and Lt. Briar. There's the imposing atmosphere and setting I mentioned, the Flame Wing's injuries and obvious pain, splattering humans, and flames strong enough to melt armor from a distance; it all really set this apart, so you can tell this is a real, raw fight between dragon and human.

The callousness! Wow! Mordon having no reaction to someone's death, and even killing the one who tried to flee, really showed that he doesn't have a very high regard for human life -much less dragon life. It was so cool to see an evil human in power, after getting those hints in Wing 2 about the evil dragon in power. Especially considering some of the details shared about Mordon, like his role in the discovery of mind gems and the academy's old-fashioned, ruthless ways. It really gives the impression that both sides have this dark underbelly that want to drive more conflict and war, and it makes you wonder if the players on either side will recognize that in time or just feud with each other. But, zooming in on a more pressing situation...

Between this ending and the Flame Wing talking about his brethren, you just know something terrible has/is going to happen to the Flame Wings, and considering where Jarid and Smolder left off, that's a really tense cliffhanger.

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, that was a great interlude to get us hyped for Wing 4, wherever it may take us! Nicely done! :D

dragonight9 says...

I'm so glad this chapter had the impact I was hoping.

I went heavy on the descriptions but it still ended up being a bit short for a full chapter.
So glad you enjoyed.

Mon May 20, 2024 4:14 am
Moonlily wrote a review...

Hello Hello, I hope you dont mind me popping in with a review. Now You have to forgive me If I get anything wrong as I have not read any of the books but wanted to check this out. Please correct me on anything I say that might be correct or not according to the world. You are the author after all and can take what you want from this review.

I will say as a first-time reader with zero context the magic was quite cool and you showed it off well. it reminds me of How To Train Your Dragon and Alta ( Avatar the Last Airbender.) I also really liked the vibe of the villain and the pillars were a nice touch. However, I do have a few pieces of feedback and a few more thoughts that might aid in improving it a tad more.

Starting with something small that I think could add more depth is using sensory details to make it pop. We get to see the place but what does it smell like maybe it smells like copper and smoke from the fire. Even a small detail like the air-tasting kind of burnt could really add to the tone and make it pop.

A second thing I haven't gone back to check but based on first impressions I feel the term heavy chains was a bit overused ( I could be wrong if I reread that's just based on my first impression.)

Last but not least for feedback I have a line I would change slightly. " And with that it whipped its tail around and caught one of the chains the dragon hunters were holding. For a split second, dragon and human stared into each other’s eyes as the lone dragon hunter pleaded for his life. " I would get rid of the And as I feel with that works just fine. " with that it whipped its tail around and caught one of the chains the dragon hunters were holding. For a split second, the dragon and human stared into each other’s eyes as the lone dragon hunter pleaded for his life. " Oh and add a the as well.

Now onto my question. You said that this will be translated which makes me curious if the reader will be given a guide at any point in the books. As the author must factor in the reader too ( Look I use Latin in my book untranslated in this draft I get it.) This seems to give important context so you don't want the reader to get lost.

Regardless keep writing and drink water!

dragonight9 says...

Thanks so much for the review! I'm so glad to see someone new taking a look at even one chapter of my book.

The chains might be a bit overused but it's kind of on purpose to emphasize the restriction/lack of freedom in the scene.

To answer your question about the language, I did post a translator on my wall a little while ago. Unfortunately I don't know if there's a way to pin posts on your wall so it may have gotten a little buried.
In the book itself I plan to add my translator in just after the Author's note, then either put the correct translations at the end of the book or release a separate guide for readers that would contain all the answers as well as how I translate from human to dragon so that they can do it themselves.
(The language itself was something I created as a sort of passion project while taking a languages course. It is what is called a phonetic language. So each phoneme in English has a equivalent phoneme in dragon)

A beautiful funeral doesn't guarantee Heaven.
— Haitian Proverb