Home » Literary works » Script » Realistic

Personality rant

by disheartedallure22

Society has shaped standards to allow the majority to meet but not all of us. What about the rare personalities that struggle to meet said standards? One size simply does not fit all. Daily struggles sprout from conformity kinesthetic learners and introverts face. Can they find a way to fit in?  

Kinesthetic  learners make up 5 percent of our population but the majority of the general public are visual and auditory learners, making the environment ideal for them but what about the minority? Classrooms are a perfect example of what I am talking about. Classrooms are ideal for auditory and visual learners because teachers show graphs and pictures to describe the material and they give lectures to better our understanding. No person is perfectly kinesthetic but we get frustrated when those methods fail. You see, we learn by touching and doing. We're natural doers. So pictures and lectures do not help us as much as the majority. Like math, kinesthetic learners need to practice by repetition. Repetition is his or her best friend and only known way since methods of theirs are discovered by them only. I'm not implying that we are special but in this case, the majority shouldn't rule out the minority, we should matter too. 

Alas, Kinesthetic learners are not the only ones put to disadvantage. This problem of not fitting in with society standards also arise with introverts which make up less than half of the population. Again, no one is perfectly introverted but introverts struggle to blend in with the outgoing, talkative, sociable extraverts, no we do not hate them, they're healthy to hang out with but society revolves around them. Introverts are people who get their energy from comfortable solitude, in other words they function well alone with their own thoughts, they don't like group work, they tend to get things done faster when alone. Classrooms are also modeled to allow discussions and group projects that allow its students to share ideas with each other. Introverts do not mind sharing ideas but they would rather come up with their own ideas rather than brainstorm with others. 

Now, imagine both of these traits in one person, which is even more rare. One may ask how they learn or focus. How do they meet society's standards? They experiment. That is the only way they know. I would know. Both of these traits are part of me, everyday is a challenge for those like me. We aren't special but we shouldn't be ignored. Imagine not being able to retain history because you can't do history, unless it's acting it out but that is only the kinesthetic way, being an introvert at the same time means that acting with people make you uncomfortable. There are benefits to having both traits though. It means you can do hands on work faster, of course, in solitude. 

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:00 pm
Mea wrote a review...

I can relate with this a lot, being both an introvert and the top-of-the-class student. I hate it so much when I have to do group projects, especially when we can't pick who we're with, because I just end up doing or redoing everyone else's work because I want to get a good grade. Plus, half the time the teachers pair me with the lazy kids because they know I'm going to whatever it takes to get the grade.

This is such a great essay that really addresses those topics, which really need to be addressed with today's education system. Like others have said, it could use a bit more cohesion, and perhaps a bit more formal tone. It depends on what you are writing this essay for, though. For example, in more formal writing, it is considered bad form to use "you," but in other situations it's perfectly fine.

Also, some of the sentences, especially in the first paragraph, are a bit choppy and hard to read. Nothing a bit of editing shouldn't fix, though.

Again, I'm really glad you wrote this essay. These tactics need to be exposed in our education system. They aren't wrong, but there should be a way to accommodate those who have different learning needs.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:30 am
Burrow says...

It is so much better know!!, I really like how you added the start and ending like I suggested, and it made it more like a story or a realistic essay, compared to what you had before.

I like the ending know, and I really like the start, it was impressive, and I have to say that is one of the best editing I have ever seen, so I just have to say congratulations on what you did here, because you did it really well. So overall great job, and I hope to read more soon.

Anyway, I hope to see more of your works soon, because you have a real talent, have you ever considered writing a sci-fi because they are epic!!

Thumbs up!!

Jack

Thank you! I have considered writing sci-fi but I like watching and reading it more than writing it. I have written something recently, 5 am on my phone. I want to post it but i need more points to post so I'm gonna work on that.

jackm1999 says...

Yeah, its review day soon, so you can get points then!

I've posted the poem! Hours ago but you should still check it out and tell me what your thoughts are on it!

jackm1999 says...

Sure thing:)

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:27 am
Burrow says...

I see you fixed it up great job!

Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:55 am
emeraldfox wrote a review...

I liked this piece! As a very introverted person, I sometimes dread school just becasue there are so. many. people. and we are often expected to work in groups and interact a lot with others. I am a visual learner so I couldn't relate well to the first paragraph. Still, it was very well written so I could understand how it would be a struggle for kinesthetic learners to connect with classroom material.

One correction...
The first word should be capitalized at the beginning of the first paragraph.

Some suggestions and improvements...
I didn't think there wasn't much of a transition between the first paragraph and second paragraph. Also, the essay just started and ended without much of an introduction or conclusion.

Here are three things that could be added to make this even better...
1. A topic paragraph that talked about why some students have a disadvantage in school because of their personality
2. A sentence before the introvert paragraph that explained that kinesthetic learners aren't the only ones with a disadvantage
3. A concluding paragraph that sums everything up and shows a link between the two personalities

Thank you for the review. I've considered yours and others' suggestions and have changed and added a couple of things. I hope I have bettered the understanding. Feel free to correct me if I'm still wrong on something. :)

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:52 pm
Holysocks says...

I know... It's kind of lame. This is slightly off topic, but it's the same with the issue of hand dominance. The world is designed for the right-handed. Sure, there's specially made left handed tools and so forth, but not all lefties are going to go out of their way - and budget - just to get left handed merchandise. No, they teach themselves to use their right hand.

I think about this a lot for some reason, and I'm not even left handed! XP

no thats a big issue too! I've thought about it also and I'm not a left handed person either. I can only imagine how hard it is for them to function in a world that is designed for right handed people

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:48 am
Burrow wrote a review...

Jack here for a review.

I like what you have got here, it really raises good points, and questions the whole education system, and you do it really well. Everyone can relate to what you are saying, and me personally agree with you. I though felt like if you wrote some more of it, it would have been much better.

It felt like you had a beginning the middle but no end, you needed to sum up your case, to get you point through much more. Also I might not have started you script like you did. Maybe explain what you are talking about, what are you heading for, what do you want to happen, then you go to your facts afterwards. because you tell us a lot through the script about what you think of these thinks, but you never tell us why you are telling us this. What is your goal?

Also if you split these two large paragraphs up it would have been a lot more easy to read, because it is fairly hard to read through such large ones on a computer, just a suggestion but it is still important.

Also when you swap from learning to introverts and extroverts, it was a bit of a skip that didn't work, you needed to sum up your case for learning then you needed to go and raise the topic of introverts and extroverts and tell us what the point of what you are saying, then you go forward with you facts and so forth.

Anyway overall I really liked the points you raised, and they were very good ones, it really got me thinking and ways of which you could change this, maybe next time it would work on thinking up some suggestions on how you could fix these flaws and tell us that. It was well written, and with a bit of tweaks this would be a very good script. So good job. Always keep writing, I hope :)

Thumbs up!!

Jack

Thank you for your review, Jack. This was my first work on YWS so it was a little iffy but thank you for the tips, I'll absolutely keep it in mind next time I write. This was just me ranting out frustrations because I myself is an kinesthetic learner and introvert.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:48 am
StrugglingAngel wrote a review...

I can relate with this quiet alot and understand your point. This reminds me of the simple saying "Every one is diffrent." which mean we all have our own highs and lows. I can understan the part of those who learn by doing it hands on which the classrooms tend to stay on visual and auditory learning. There should be a way for kids to learn by the way they do best. For example it's like learning how to do math, but the teacher speaks in a diffrent language. It's hard I know. I also can relate to the fact that I am independent in my studies and like to work on my own. So when forced into group projects things got really uncomfortable...I did most of the work...we still got an A+. but even so the fact still remains that each kid has their specialities so if only they would be realized. Well enough of my rambling. Great work! Keep on writing!

thank you for your review! it means a lot when people can relate to these struggles.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:45 am
et477 says...

dear person. i agree with you. i work much better alone, and i often sit alone with my thoughts. if i try to brainstorm with others, it develops into an argument pretty quickly.
this is the first piece of work I've read on this website and i have to say, its impressive.

Thank you! It means a lot when someone thinks my thoughts are impressive. :)

'This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy