z

Young Writers Society



seven years of bieng in a womb

by blob


Yellow fields of sand stretched out and dominated the horizon; there were no dunes, dry dessert plants or insects to be seen. This dessert was completely flat with no hills or holes. The atmosphere in this area was too thick for life, the gravity would force any passer by to crawl, but there were never any passers by on Jupiter.

This could be said four minutes ago and be true, no passers by , but four minutes ago a ship from earth landed on the surface .from this ship a small boy dressed in a white astronaut soot stumbled out wearing an expression beyond proud.

“ this is it” he told himself “ all my life was designed for me to experience this moment” he stood on the last step of the ships stair case “ the first human to set foot on Jupiter” he said and then he stepped .

He half walked half crawled on the dry flat surface trying to fight the stong gravity. The orange sky was scared with thin red clouds , to Oscar this was not strange at all for he had never seen the blue skies of Earth . He was taken at birth to the ship and placed in a glass container were a machine raised him , fed him and taught him until he was seven and allowed out of the container. He was the chosen one , as the machine said so many times when he doubted purpose, he was the one to save man-kind by finding a new planet which would be habitable.

He stood now, not wanting to go too far from the ship which was Known to him as “the womb”. You would expect him do feel lonely , but for Oscar , being lonely was like bieng consious , always there and never fading. He stood gazing out, imagining The human race building houses and starting empires “ but first” he told himself “ the vital test” as these words were said panic took him, what if the machine was wrong , and Jupiter was not an oxygen planet .

He slowly lifted his hand to the glass helmet, he gripped the sticking out hinge and pushed up . For a second he held his breath, his heart beat like a clapping crowd, his face was hit with dry, strange wind and then he sucked in .

He fell to the floor within seconds , the acidic air had done it . He thrashed on the dirt spitting blood on the sand and gasping for air, but no air came . He then died a lonely death . A life that was filled with nothing other than a computer program for company ended.

The blood was absorbed by the earth . Over thousands of years it was broken down into DNA and proteins , they sank deep into the crust and found the ice seas of Jupiter, six million years pass and a tiny gland of life is born out of the remains of the boy’s blood, the life evolves as it happened in our world .

Mankind by now has been wiped out from its own doing; they had destroyed the planet by years of air poisoning , but far away, in Jupiter , life evolved to survive . and it was human life , from a human boy.

Man kind was given a second chance.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 44

Donate
Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:51 pm
blob says...



im sorry for using the c.r.a.p word but im going through the worst writers block ever and my work just seems like a jumble of poo no matter how i try and edit it. , and thanks firestarter your tips on research will hopefully be demostrated in the future. and thanks snoik , you always iddentiffy with what writers feel and stuff :D

ps thankyou lamalama for taking your time to write a comment.




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:14 am
Snoink wrote a review...



blob wrote:youre right , im a terrible writer but ill still try untill im told im crap.then ill just give up. thanks for bieng honest, ill take more time making sence of my crap stories.


Good grief... we never said you were.

Read?

On a completely different note...

I'm considered one of the better writers of YWS, I think. Even so, I'm still scared to death when I read the comments to any story or poem I post. Silly? Perhaps. But at the same time (and I've seen a lot of writers) the ones that improve are the ones that take the critiques, judge them for what they are (opinions) and edit accordingly.

But sometimes (actually, fairly frequently, especially from Griffinkeeper, lol) I get told that my stories are crap. Okay. But I don't give up. You never can really give up things you love.

So even if someone says it's crap, if you like to write, then write. Remember: it's only their opinion.




User avatar
863 Reviews


Points: 2090
Reviews: 863

Donate
Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:37 am
Griffinkeeper wrote a review...



blob wrote:youre right , im a terrible writer but ill still try untill im told im c***.then ill just give up. thanks for bieng honest, ill take more time making sence of my c*** stories.


I'll thank you not to cuss.

And for the love of god, show some backbone. Lama was telling you that your story needs improvement, not that you're a complete failure. Posts like this just get under my skin so fast...

Now that I've done that, I might as well give you a critique.

First off, this seems like a Sci-Fi story, so as soon as I post this, it's going there.

Second, we'll go through some typos.

First, is the word "Dessert". While this word is actually in existance, the word you're actually looking for is desert.

To demonstrate, here are some links to help you out.

Dessert vs. Dessert. Some writers like to remember it this way. "You always want two desserts but you only want to be stuck in a desert once."

Finally, let's actually get to the actual science aspect.

Since you're using an actual location, it is wise to research it first. If you don't, sticklers for detail like me will spot it instantly, which will destroy the believability of the story in a single horrifying instant. If a story isn't believable, then no one will be spellbound like you want them to be.

In this case, we need to research Jupiter.

The first thing you need to know is that Jupiter is a gas planet (usually referred to as a Jovian planet.) In fact, the term Jovian comes from the word Jupiter itself.

While Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system, it isn't very dense. In fact, if you step onto the planet, you will sink down towards the planet core. This is very unpleasant, especially since it goes from freezing cold in the atmosphere to ultra hot in the center.

The plausibility of any computer mistaking Jupiter, let alone making it seem logical for habitation is so remote as to be impossible. Too much is known about Jupiter and the maitnence done on spaceships is unbelievable (just to keep them in ship-shape condition!)

I have a feeling that you mistook Jupiter for Mars. In which case you still have more research to do.

Especially about life and evolution. The idea that blood can give new life (especially to a human being!) is absurd. If this were the case, humans would be popping out of old battlefields like nothing before! I won't tell you how babies get made (I'll leave your parents to answer this), but I'll tell you one thing, it sure doesn't come about by mere blood .

So what I'm basically saying is you need to do some background research when you use real places. If you make up places, then you still need to do some research.

I'd take some serious science classes before I re-write this one.




User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 52

Donate
Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:54 am
LamaLama says...



I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but like I said, its an interesting idea. It just needs to be taken further. Don't put yourself down like that or you'll never improve. And grabbing for attention like that is by no means attractive either. Reactions like that will just push people away. Don't shade yourself from the truth, but don't let it get to you either.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 44

Donate
Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:10 pm
blob says...



i know im a terrible writer but thanks for bieng honest ( i know you didnt mestion annything about me bieng terrible) next time ill take more time making sence of my stories.




User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 52

Donate
Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:42 pm
LamaLama wrote a review...



The first thing I noticed about this was the title. It doesn't have the kind of ring that titles need to have. It will be the first thing anyone sees, and this didn't make me want to read the rest.

The second thing was you said 'fields of desert' this doesn't make sense. Field implies grassy plains, beaming with life. Deserts tend to be devoid of anything that would make it a field. You probly want something different.

The next thing I noticed, after coming to terms with the fact that Juipiter is a gasious planet, but we've never seen the inside of it, so I can deal with that, was the lack of decent grammer. You have a period in the middle of a sentance and you lack in a few capital letters.

"He walked on the dry flat surface " But you just said the gravity was too great for anything to walk, it would force them to crawl.

You also say that his blood is absorbed the by 'earth.' This isn't earth, so it couldn't absorb it. Dirt, or sand is more apropriate.
I also had problems with the concept of his death. There could be other ways for him to die, and lead to your interesting ending. But I think most readers would assume that in an age where a ship has somehow managed to penitrate the thick stormy atmosphere of Jupiter, that we would still have simple devices to test for oxygen.

All in all you have an interesting concept. There are a few problems but they are easily weeded out. The way it closes is somewhat intriguing and is worth developing. I think you need a lot more detail, a lot more description of his life. All we know from this is the how and the where. The reader needs to know the answers to all basic questions. Who, what, where, when, why, and how all need to be answered before the story is interesting enough for a reader to devote time too.





"While we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."
— Albus Dumbledore