Instructions on how to love me.

by archrnln

1.

I need you to tell me you love me. When the sun peeks through the curtains and falls across my cheek I need you to say you love me, when I open my bleary eyes and press my lips softly to yours I need you to whisper your love into my hair. 

When I'm struggling to finish an essay or complete artwork I need you to kiss the crease between my eyebrows and tell me you love me. When I'm suffering and can't seem to find the light I need you to hand me a torch, I don't want you to fix it for me, but I need you to be the guide. When I'm looking in the mirror, my eyes only picking out the faults, I need you to wrap your arms around me and help me to see what you see when you look at me. I need you to help me see the beauty in the way one of my cheeks dimple when I grin, I need you to help me see the beauty in the way my mossy coloured eyes match the hoodie I stole from you, and I need you to tell me how much you love me. Always.

2.

To love me, you should be authentic.

I want you to be dorky and imperfect and goofy. I want us to be silly while grocery shopping and I want us to have fun. I want us to make each other laugh in the waiting area for the doctors and when we're waiting for a take away order. I want to laugh so hard that people look at me because I want everyone to see how happy I am when you're with me. I want to hear all your burps and hiccups and yawns because I love everything about you. I want to giggle when I tell you to take a shower when you're stinky and jokingly yell at you when you leave your gross dirty underwear on the floor.

You should be yourself. Because I want to hear the little snorting sounds you make when you laugh, I want to hear you snore at night, I want to ruffle your bed hair and wrinkle my nose at your morning breath. I want us to say silly things and argue over board games because I love your competitive side. I want to fight with you then talk about it and get through it together because a calm sea never made a good sailor, I want us to go through the good and the bad. The beautiful and the ugly. I want to know what makes you angry and upset and scared as well as what makes you smile so hard that your face aches. Because you should always be authentic.

3.

I will never turn down a gift.

No matter if it's homemade or a flower you found on the way home or a muffin from the bakery down the street I will always kiss your cheeks and tell you it's wonderful. Because it is. Anything that you give me is special because you thought of me when you saw it. Material goods that you give me aren't my reason for loving you, but my reason for loving the gift because you gave it to me. Whenever I see another of the thing you got me I will smile and remember. Even if you think the gift isn't good enough I promise it always will be because it came from you and that is the most wonderful thing of all.

This is the end of the instructions, but more will be found along our journey together. You can't always follow the instructions but that's ok, because love often doesn't need instruction. You can't make someone know how to love you, but you can show them how and they can learn.

Thank you for loving me. There's no one who knows how to love me better. XO.

twilight1205 wrote a review...

This work is top notch! I love the mix of dreams and reality. It shows that love is as much a dream as it is a reality! You have to be their for your partner, not fight their battles for them, but support them in their endevours. You encompassed this perfectly in the frirst instruction. In the second part, you show that love is not just supposed to be hard times you share togehter, but also silly fun times. Your diction and imagrey show that you know what you want and are not afraid to ask for it. This is much needed in society today. I absolutlye LOVE this work and can relate to it very much! Cant wait to see what else you come up with!

archrnln says...

Thank you so much dear! This is a gorgeous comment.

Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:08 pm
Prashish wrote a review...

it is so beautifully written especially the mix of romanticisim and realism where the author wishes for romantic moments of her/him/their with their better half yet ordinary. the text perfectly captures the extraordinary in the ordinary such as grocery shopping together or picking up a flower.
love in its terms might be very difficult to comprehend itself. it is personalized from person to person and the author tells us how to love her the guide so her other half doesnt have to worry.
this might also be a general guide on how to love a human as humans

archrnln says...

Thank you for the beautiful comment! One thing though, I am a boy %uD83D%uDE05 apologies for any confusion.

But there was no goat man, there was NEVER any goat man!
— OSP Red