A Dramatic End (very very short story)

by almost2muchcreativity

A Dramatic End

This is the end of my life. I stare off into the distance, squinting from the bright light. It has to end now, that's how it's supposed to be. I can't go on any longer; my life is over. Somebody may cry for me, I hope. It has to end this way; there is no other choice.

I grab a single bullet from a nearby box, and load it into the gun. I raise it to my face, but I pause. There has to be some other way to go on with my life. I think for a moment, then my decision is final. Once again I raise the gun to my beautiful face, and stare down the barrel. It's so dark; but I know what's inside. Tears rush to my eyes, I can't hold them back. As they roll down my face, I take a large breath. I close my eyes and slowly cock the weapon; it clicks. The bullet is ready for me, and I for it. My finger slowly reaches aroudn the trigger; my tears have stopped. I straighten up and take one final breath. I pull the trigger, and hear a quick 'boom.' My body collapses onto the wooden floor; I don't move.

I say still for awhile, unaware of what's happening. The lights slowly dim, and it is the end. It turns pitch black, and I can breathe again. Nervous seconds pass by, and then, I hear it. A great sound that I have been yearning to hear, applause. I stand from the floor and face the red velvet. It parts, and I am once again hit by the bright light. I scan the audience with a smile on my face; I have done it. My fellow cast members join me on either side, and we bow together. This is the end, my dramatic end.

Well this is a bit of a gloomy start to proceedings here. I don't quite know if this is meant to sound final or ominous since despite the entire story sort of tending in that somewhat more ominous direction, the actual tone of the piece has a slight causal air to it and almost some sense of acceptance. Its an interesting contrast there and it does a good job pulling us readers in.

Well that pretty much dove right into where it seemed to be headed. Things moved a bit faster than I was expecting to. There seemed to be a little more expectation in the tone there so I though a bit more anticipation would be built up but this quick and rather decisive move makes for a more shocking moment I think which I think ultimately makes this even more powerful. Well let's see where this ends.

Well, that took quite a turn. I love the twist at the end. The best part is this seemed almost ever so slightly predictable but not really. There was just the tiniest hint that all was not bad but as a reader you're not sure at all. In the end it ends up balancing out really well and on the whole I think you've done a wonderful job of things here.

Nox says...

Nice and short, I loved it. :D

Melodie says...

I really liked this. It would be an AWESOME opening to a movie.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:16 am
Fishr wrote a review...

I liked this story, though I have a faint idea there would be a twist at the end, since most short stories do. :wink: Other than that, at the same time, I WAS expecting a suicide, lol.

I'm not too nit-picky myself. I understood what was happaning. But I can make one suggestion. As I was reading, I didn't feel any real emotion from the person holding the weapon. Readers might get more of a shock if you try planting emotions from the charactor, like if you were bout to pull the trigger, what would YOU be thinking? Fear, sadness, confusion? Would the body start to sweat, tense up, shake, ect.

But again, other than that, well done. :lol:

Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:55 am
Snoink wrote a review...

LOL! A mí me gusta mucho! A surprise ending that is not the typical, "Omg, my life is so horrible so I have to die." It actually shows... passion! Of performance! Of... yeah. You get the point.

I love the surprise ending. In fact, because of the surprise ending, I actually like the story.

I also like the fact that I can look at it without seeing any huge grammar mistake. If I look at it harder, I may say something different, but otherwise, good work! :)

Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:40 am

This was really good, but I dont know, I had sort of guessed the end. So it wasn't that surprising for me. Anyway, good job! :)

Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:17 am
Jennafina says...

Wow, thats so funny! I was sure it was going to be depressing, but no! You fooled me aswell.

Duskglimmer says...

Wow. You had me fooled too. But I guess that was the goal. Nice job! I really don't have anything to pick on. It was short and sweet.

yoha_ahoy says...

Yeah that was awesome! You had me fooled too. Really good writing. I'm not so nit-picky so I have no comments other than it was great! :)

Boni_Bee says...

You had me stuck for a bit too! It was sort of relieving to find out it was only a play!!! lol

Very interesting :)

J. Haux wrote a review...

I love the twist at the end. :D You had me fooled and relieved at something other than a suicide story. Great job. I also like the title. It really fits, and doesn't give anything away.

Please forgive me for some minor things I noticed in passing. I don't mean to seem didactic. I'm detail oriented. :) In a play, she may not have put a bullet into the gun. I'm not sure though...It probably doesn't matter. But an option is to just say that you took the gun out of the drawer. Perhaps?

A great sound that I have been yearning to hear, applause.
I'm not sure about grammatical things here... "A great sound that I had been yearning to hear--applause." "A great sound that I had been yearning to hear: applause." I may be wrong, but check into it for me.

You used "bright light" twice. Since at the end, we know it was all an act, a drama, you could actually say "spotlight". Also, "hit" may not be quite the right word. Maybe "blinded"? Then you would not need to use "bright" again. Only suggestions.

But this is wonderful! It's short, and not full of unnessecary details. You let our imaginations run away with us--which reflects the effect of a truly good acting performance! You could mess with it some more to ham it up with melodramatic words if you wanted to, but I think it's good the way it is. I loved it! :D

"almost2muchcreativity"...have I seen you somewhere before? Your penname seems familiar.

So verily with the hardship, there is a relief, verily with the hardship, there is a relief.
— Quran Ch 94:5-6