z

Young Writers Society



Flames of Lecraesa: Chapter 5 (The Speaking Stones of ...)

by Writersdomain


Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Yes, the long-awaited chapter 5. So, I have not yet reached the turning point of Tears, but this first scene just came to me today. Enjoy! (and as always, all crits and comments welcome)

Chapter 5: The Speaking Stones of Syldameth

She could feel her own breaths beneath the sweltering covers over her head, the dampness clinging to her face and neck when she opened bleary eyes and felt soft fabric beneath her body. Somebody was knocking on the door, the dull sound thrumming in her ears. Sophie moaned softly and clutched her head as she crawled from beneath the covers and yawned.

“Captain Pierce!” a husky voice roared outside the door.

It was still dark outside, and the faintest shadow of the moon was plastered in the sky. Sophie clenched her teeth and cursed her maid under her breath, wadding her sheets into a ball and hurling them at the door. “Stop knocking and leave me alone!” she shouted, gripping the edge of her bed.

“Captain Pierce, the king has requested your presence immediately!” shouted Sophie’s maid, still banging on the door.

“Tell him it is too early!” Sophie retaliated, standing and rubbing her temples as she padded over to her drawers and slipped on a rough tunic. Pulling her hair into a sloppy pony tail, Sophie made her way towards the door.

“I will not tell the king you ‘respectfully decline’ again,” Sophie’s maid responded in aggravation, knocking again. “And the officials do not relish awaking to our shouting contest every morning.”

Sophie opened the door a crack and peered through, glaring at her maid. “If you just told the king I refuse to come at such a horrendous hour, no officials would awaken, now would they?”

“My dear, if I said such an impolite thing, he would depose of you swiftly,” the maid said with a chuckle and shouldered her way into the room when Sophie opened the door a little more. The maid was heavyset with long, blond hair and beady eyes that regarded Sophie with compassion. “I knew you would let me in.”

Sophie scowled and slammed the door behind her before stalking toward the other side of the room and opening her curtains. Still laughing tightly, the maid followed her across the room where Sophie stood, staring out her window with a stubborn frown. “There is a little child in the prison who is injured,” Sophie told the maid softly.

“So that is what has been eating at you,” the maid observed and strode over to Sophie’s bed, laying a rectangular wooden box on it and unlatching it. “Do not be afraid. I am sure the king will grant whatever you ask; he trusts in your loyalty, Captain Pierce. He knows how true you have been to Kalinth.”

Sophie cringed inwardly at the horrible irony of her maid’s words and turned away from the window. “Do you know why he has summoned me?”

“Something about a marriage. I am quite happy for him, really. You know what happened to his first fiancé.”

Her mouth twisting with disgust, Sophie glared at her maid; she held back angry words and lifted her head a little. “Of course.”

“And he wants you to wear this.” The maid drew a long, ornate dress, dyed blue and accented with golden beads from the rectangular box on Sophie’s bed and held it out with a large grin.

Sophie stepped back in horror, her mouth falling open. “No!” she exclaimed and slammed her open window shut with a loud bang. “I do not wear dresses, especially not for the king,” she yelled.

The maid only smiled. “It wasn’t a friendly suggestion, Captain Pierce.”

“I’m not wearing it!”

Sighing, the maid drew a small slip of paper out of her pocket and held it up, eyeing it a tilted angle. “Shall I show him this little note I found on your desk last night. I see it addressed to someone named Gee-et–”

“No! Give it!” Sophie shrieked and lunged at the maid, grabbing for the note desperately. “You can’t read it. It’s mine. You have no right searching through my things.”

“Oh, I am sure it would be immensely informative about you, Captain Pierce–”

“Fine! I’ll wear the stupid dress, but give me that note,” Sophie shouted and ripped the note from the maid’s hands, panting as she stuffed it into her pocket. “Why can’t I have the nice maids – or even better, no maids at all?!”

The maid was not deterred; she only chortled and shook her head. “Your business if your own, Captain Pierce. I will not ask who that note was for. Now, let me help you into this dress.”

An hour and three more arguments later, Sophie and her maid walked through the halls; Sophie dressed in the king’s chosen blue gown and the maid smiling triumphantly. Sophie covered her face with one hand in hopes that no one would recognize her. “I’m never going to hear the end of this,” Sophie murmured when they approached Captain Traez and Captain Embel who waited for her at the throne room doors.

Embel grinned at Sophie when they stopped in front of the doors, but quickly composed himself when Sophie cast him a scalding glare. Traez only smiled politely and entered the throne room silently at her side.

King Hedjlon sat upon his throne, gazing off to the side of his chamber with distant eyes; unkempt blond hair jutted out from under the crown upon his head and when he saw Sophie, he stood and grinned boyishly, a perturbing kind of interested glowing in his eyes. “You look absolutely stunning, Captain Pierce,” he chuckled.

Sophie glared at him.

King Hedjlon cleared his throat and continued, “I have been very impressed with your work, Captain Pierce; you are an able successor to your family’s line of captains. After your father betrayed Kalinth and your brother died, my father worried that the Pierce family of royal captains would end, but you have upheld your family’s dignity.”

“I am honored, your majesty,” Sophie murmured, lowering her head to hide the anger brewing behind her eyes.

The king paused for a moment before saying, “I hear that my patrols have captured a man, a woman and a child from the house of Arillo Ezehndoza. Is the man one of Senzieda’s breed?” the king inquired, watching Sophie carefully.

“Yes, he is,” Sophie answered and dared to lift her head and meet the king’s eyes.

“Then one can assume his cohorts would come to retrieve him again?”

“One may assume.” Sophie nodded.

“Good. Post guards in Hiarnim to find them and bring them to me; we will force them out of hiding and then capture them. Double the amount of guards in Hiarnim. Triple it! I don’t care, but be sure they do not walk out of my grasp alive.” The king rapped his fingers on his armrest as he sank back into his chair, grinning like a little boy toying with his father’s chess set.

“Yes, your majesty,” Sophie agreed weakly and hesitated before speaking in a faint voice, “The child with them – he has nothing to do with Arillo; he was simply found along the path back to the castle, and he is injured. He needs medical attention, your majesty.”

King Hedjlon grimaced and stroked his chin. “How is the child important?”

“The child is not important; the child is innocent and that is why he should be cared for,” Sophie explained, pursing her lips and hoping to see a flame of mercy flicker in the king’s eye.

“The child is unimportant. The child will die unimportant.” The king waved off Sophie’s request with a disinterested gesture.

Sophie bristled and felt the hairs at the back of her neck rise; anger pulsed through her veins, and she was about to open her mouth when Traez placed a hand on her shoulder, casting her a meaningful look. Sophie shuddered and straightened, restraining herself.

“Besides, you and your regiment will be traveling to Hiarnim tonight; there is a celebration taking place tomorrow afternoon and I want you there for it,” the king informed Sophie, grinning again.

“What kind of celebration?” Sophie asked in a low voice, glaring at the king.

“My imminent marriage, of course, to a beautiful young woman. I hear she is very excited to see me!”

“Don’t you think this is a little – ah– sudden, your majesty? I have not heard of any plans for this wedding until now,” Sophie observed, her mouth twisting uneasily when King Hedjlon only chuckled.

“Nothing is too sudden for me, Captain Pierce. Many people have told me since my first fiancé’s death that marriage would ease my suffering. You will be ready tonight, and tomorrow evening will be the new queen’s procession. I will meet you there tomorrow.” The king leaned back in his throne and yawned. “Now, it is awfully early, isn’t it?”

“Am I dismissed, your majesty?” Sophie asked in a voice hoarse with anger, clenching her fists at her sides.

“Yes, my dear,” the king said and waved her off.

“Captain Pierce,” Sophie corrected him vehemently, and the king stared at her in surprise. Sophie drew a deep breath and managed a mirthless smile. “I am Captain Pierce, your majesty.”

The king raised one eyebrow. “Farewell, then, Captain Pierce.”

Sophie whirled around and stormed out of the throne room without a bow, leaving the king bewildered behind her. Traez and Embel scrambled to catch up with her as she marched away from the throne room, tearing the pins out of her hair violently until her doe-brown hair was a tangle of knots. When Sophie halted and shoved the pins into her maid’s outstretched hand, Traez laid a hand on her shoulder. At that moment, Sophie was grateful for his cool touch, and she drew a deep, shuddering breath.

“Sophie, what is it?” Traez asked softly.

Sophie turned on him furiously and shouted, “The child is unimportant. The child will die unimportant. Well, I don’t care one bit if the child is important or not or what that pathetic excuse of a king thinks about it. Fine! The king is a pig. The king will die a pig. The king will be buried like a pig, and I will spit upon his–”

“Sophie, not so loud!” Embel hissed through his teeth.

“I don’t care how–”

“Sophie, Embel is right,” Traez added more gently, meeting Sophie’s eyes seriously.

Her face flushed a bright hue of red and her breaths coming in shallow gasps, Sophie pulled a few strands of sweaty hair out of her face and swallowed furious tears. “Thank you, Traez,” she whispered. Her maid headed down the remainder of the hallway and disappeared. Embel smiled sympathetically and thumped Sophie on the back before retreating to the barracks.

Exhaling slowly, Traez ran one hand through his sleek brown hair and said, “Sophie, if you ever need my aid with the Lecräesans and Senzieda’s friends and Gietan or any of them, please just come to me. I know that–”

“What?!” Sophie shouted, fear flaring in her glittering eyes when she looked up at Traez.

“I know, Sophie. I know you are helping them, but you do not need to be afraid. I want to help you.” Traez smiled crookedly and shoved his hands into his pockets, awaiting Sophie’s response with anticipation.

“No, Traez, don’t get involved in this!” Sophie pleaded. “I won’t have you sacrificing anything for my sake. You are a captain of the guard. Your loyalty lies with the king.”

Traez stared down at Sophie accusingly. “Then who are you, Sophie, and where does your loyalty lie?” he whispered.

Sophie bit her lower lip and suppressed a shudder, her hands shaking at her sides. “I am Captain Pierce to you, Traez,” she reminded him quietly.

Traez’s frown deepened. “Then good day, Captain Pierce.” And he strode off without another word; he did not even look back.

Sophie closed her eyes and lowered her head. Treason. It was treason she committed with every step she took through the palace halls, but this treason could not be treacherous, could it? Surely what she did was right; surely her treason would be forgiven in the name of mercy. But if I am doing what is right, then why does it hurt so much?

Sophie sighed and walked the remainder of the hall before her.

~

Notes: Wrote this scene from scratch so it is bound to be a bit rough at the moment; I know there is some syntax I need to fix.

~

“He’s probably just sleeping,” Gietan remarked in the darkness that enshrouded his dank cell; he sat beside the wall, staring at the Svarë girl named Lusien who knelt at the child Ristev’s side. Lusien’s pallid face was barely visible beneath her hood and Gietan could not see her expression, but he read the anxiety in her rigid posture as she felt over the boy’s face for signs of illness.

“With your constant talking? I would envy him!” Lusien snorted, and Gietan glimpsed her vibrant violet eyes fixed upon his face.

Gietan grimaced. “Many people have survived my talking, thank you,” he told her tersely and watched as Lusien’s hand rested upon the pale boy’s forehead. Ristev lay in a shallow puddle of water that had formed in the stones of the prison, his downy brown hair soaked and his little face spattered with mud. The boy was not moving.

“With sanity still intact?”

“Enough already!” Gietan shouted at her, his wounded pride surfacing as he glared at Lusien. Arillo’s street girl had been a nuisance the moment Gietan had met her, not to mention she was Svarë and for that something that festered deep within him longed to hurt her. “Will the boy be all right?”

At first, Lusien did not answer; she only knelt in silence, stroking the little boy’s damp forehead. “I don’t know,” she admitted at last. “I have little experience in healing, but his breathing is very shallow, and I worry for him.”

“Is there any way I can help?” Gietan asked, softening at the sight of the little boy wheezing, his little chest faltering in its rise and fall.

“I wish I knew,” Lusien whispered and shook her head. “I won’t let him die.” She looked up and glared at Gietan with cold determination. “He’s going to make it.” Her hood fluttered in the slight wind that wafted through the cell and something purple flashed in the darkness that was her face.

“Your hood, your cloak – you look like a black ghost,” Gietan commented, frowning deeply though his eyes softened with compassion. “It looks like a death shroud. Why don’t you remove them and look like any other normal person?”

“Because I can’t,” Lusien snapped, her frigid words speaking of bitterness.

Gietan chuckled. “Oh, I’m sure you can. Shall I try?” he offered, standing and approaching Lusien with his hands buried in the pockets of his clothing.

Lusien leapt to her feet and scrambled backwards like a caged animal, pulling her hood more closely behind her face; fear flashed in her violet eyes when she cried, “You touch me and I will kill you!”

“And what will you do, Lusie?” Gietan teased her blithely, “Glare me to death?”

“Don’t call me Lusie ever again!” Lusien yelled at him, her voice faltering and breaking off abruptly; she cringed visibly. “You call me Lusie and I will–”

“You will kill me? You have no weapons, Lusie!” Gietan burst into laughter, blind to the pure terror in Lusien’s eyes.

Lusien whipped a knife out of her boot and pointed it at him. “Stay back!” she shouted, “One more step and I will kill you! Leave me alone! I don’t care about you or your sniveling little friends who are supposed to rescue you. As soon as I leave here, I’m running for my life; I hope I never see you again.”

Gietan threw his hands up in the air and backed away, “Whoa! No need to pull out the knife on me. I wasn’t really going to do anything!” He swallowed hard and looked up at her.

Lusien did not lower her knife so quickly. She stood there for a moment, still threatening him. “You call me Lusien, nothing else, understand me?”

“Understood, Lusien,” Gietan agreed shakily, his face paling at the sincerity of her anger. Her chest still heaving with fear, Lusien lowered her knife and slipped it back into her boot, turning her back on Gietan and retreating to the other side of the cell. Gietan watched her leave, lowered his hands slowly, and wondered if Lusien’s heart was as black as her hood.

~

Notes: Character impressions would be lovely


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
563 Reviews


Points: 13816
Reviews: 563

Donate
Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:53 am
Writersdomain says...



Thanks so much, Dreamer!

You're right about the '?!' thing. I need to go back and edit all of those out. *glares at giant Flames document* Grar. I especially thank you for the character impressions




User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 2570
Reviews: 245

Donate
Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:17 am
LowKey wrote a review...



I only have time to do the first part of chapter five, so forgive me if this is a bit rushed. :oops: :)

“Why can’t I have the nice maids – or even better, no maids at all?!


Okay. I looked it up, and it turns out you can pair a question mark with an exclamation mark. But it almost feels like you're cheating, and it breaks the flow so I'm reminded that I'm reading a book. This could just be me, though.

“Besides, you and your regiment will be traveling to Hiarnim tonight;


ACK! Isn't that where Strick's party's going?? Oh boy... :D

“The child is unimportant. The child will die unimportant.”


I hate him already. Why is Sophie on his side again?


Okay! Characters!

King: What a... A million words and insults just came to mind, and I have trouble choosing which one best fits him. We'll stick with A**hole and move on. After that brief encounter with him, I really hope Strick's side wins.

Sophie: Woo-hoo! Go Sophie! At least she can see the king for what he really is, even if her words were said out of anger. But because she said them, I might put an effort into not hating her if she decides to go full-time-king's-side. I hope/don't think she going to do that, though. :)

Gietan: Okay, paradigm shift. This time he seemed like he was drunk or something. Any reason the scene switched like that? One moment he was acting concerned for the kid, the next, he's got Lusien backed up against the wall. I'll need to see more of him to get a good, solid impression of him.

Lusien: Hmm... You know how I said she'll fight with them anyways? Scratch that. 'Coward' was the first word that came to mind when I was reading about her plans. But then, if you stop and think about it, you don't know anything about her, or how she came to be a part of this. So if you look at it from that angle, running off seems perfectly reasonable. Hope she sticks around, though.

Over all, I really liked this chapter. Any reason the king wanted to see Sophie in a dress for that short amount of time or is he just weird? Can't wait to see if Strick and Sophie will run into each other or not. ;)

MAN! I wish I had more time! I'll do the next part as soon as I can. :D




User avatar
59 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 59

Donate
Fri May 25, 2007 9:33 pm
AWritersFantasy wrote a review...



“Of course,” Creiha responded with a sigh, “but who do they speak to?”

“I’m sure Strick would know!” Markus blurted, leaning against a tree and grinning.

Strick whirled around in shock. “Markus!”

Quelling the note of satisfaction that tasted sour in the pit of her stomach, Creiha stared at Strick in surprise. “You can talk to the rocks?” she gasped. Heat rushed to Markus’s face, and he nearly choked in surprise. “Would you teach me?” Creiha asked.

“No, I will not teach you how to and I try not to make a habit of talking to rocks often!” Strick announced in frustration.

Markus lowered his eyes sheepishly.

“Why not?” Creiha frowned

“Rocks aren’t as polite as they look.”

“You mean to tell me they’re rude?” Creiha asked, laughing quietly. “Do they ever talk to you?” Creiha inquired, stepping closer to Strick with a smirk on her face.

Strick eyed her fearfully before answering, “Yes, they do and it is often wisest to ignore them.”

“Ignore the rocks?” Creiha chuckled.

“It is not funny,” Strick informed her softly.


Best part of that scene/chapter, right there. I LOVED it, and I could just IMAGINE that happening. Another awesome chapter!




User avatar
571 Reviews


Points: 14170
Reviews: 571

Donate
Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:07 am
Esmé wrote a review...



Hello,
Guess I’m in a crit mode, hehe. Can’t keep away.


Quote:
“Captain Pierce, the king has requested your presence immediately!” shouted Sophie’s maid, still banging on the door.
Details, but you have ‘shouted’ again The last bit of dialogue up there had the word, too.

Quote:
Pulling her hair into a sloppy pony tail, Sophie made her way towards the door.
I scrolled down a bit - Sophie’s name I repeated a lot. Use more of ‘she’ etc. (Haha, I forgot the English word for these). ‘The maid’ is also used a lot.

Quote:
“I do not wear dresses, especially not for the king,” she yelled.
Lol, a lot of yelling and shouting in this chapter :D Exclamation mark up there since she screamed?

Quote:
“Yes, your majesty,”
Period here.

Quote:
“No, Traez, don’t get involved in this!” Sophie pleaded.
A much as I liked your dialogue and (enter here every possible compliment), this part here sounded a bit awkward/

I have a strong dislike towards the king.

Oooh, Lusien seems cool. All for character impressions for now, xD

Quote:
“The people in Hiarnim live in the shadow of Kalinth Castle where the royal family resides.
Comma before ‘where’, I think.


Ch. 6 ended so fat, lol. Too bad. Anyway, impressions… I guess I don;t have much to say for now, except that it was (how else?) interesting and well-written. An old cliché, but how true for you.


-Elein




User avatar
563 Reviews


Points: 13816
Reviews: 563

Donate
Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:37 pm
Writersdomain says...



Thanks so much, Dark Lordess!

I toyed with that abrupt part a little - not sure if it made it any better, but I gave it a shot. Really appreciate your comments!




User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 5390
Reviews: 48

Donate
Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:52 am
Dark Lordess wrote a review...



Yae! It's here! And I was quite happy that Strick was somewhat happy for a while in this chapter. Anyways...

I did sorta think Creiha got mad a little too quickly in the rock garden. I had thought she was a calmer person. The first time she gets angry (when shes talking about the Oceanstone) didn't seem too sudden, but the second time (when she tells him he's so alike to speaking stones) I thought it was too sudden.

Character Impressions

Gietan - (He's my favorite.) He is compassionate and tries to make light of their situation to keep his hope up.

Lusien - She has some dark secret. I've got a lot of guesses but don't want to ruin it for other people, even though I'm probably WAY off... :P She doesn't want people to know anything about her and very much prefers to be by herself.

Sophie - She's getting pretty complex. She's trying to serve a king she thinks is a fool. She seems determined to save Ristev, but unsure of how to do it. She's confused about what she really should do.




User avatar
563 Reviews


Points: 13816
Reviews: 563

Donate
Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:34 am
Writersdomain says...



Chapter 5 continued

Creiha laughed and pointed to the canopy of tree branches above them, relishing the sunshine on her face and the web-like pattern of shadows cast upon the road. She had missed it for the past few days. The air was light and sheer and the weight of worry had lifted into enjoyment of the journey. Markus walked beside her, the very sight of a grin on his face enough to brighten Creiha’s mood. Strick walked on her right, a little ahead of her stride, but close enough that she could occasionally see his face. The main road was much wider than the small roads Strick had led them through to Arillo’s house.

“Arillo was so angry with all of us; I am still amazed at how irresponsible we all were in those days!” Markus boasted about the first time he met Arillo and how he and Gietan had tormented her.

In light of Markus’s story and the peaceful quiet all around them, Creiha almost forgot that she was leaving her family behind, that she scarcely knew these two men, that they were headed to Hiarnim. She no longer saw ruined courtyards or labyrinths in the eyes of her companions; she no longer felt the coils of fear rising in the pit of her stomach.

“Ah, those were the good days,” Markus reflected with faraway eyes, shaking his head fondly. “Indeed.”

Creiha glanced at him from the corner of her eye and asked, “You make it sound like those days are past.”

Markus’s eyes flashed with a bright confidence, and he grinned at her, “It’s days like these I begin to wonder if they haven’t.”

Creiha smiled and kicked more rocks to the side of the road. She frowned when it occurred to her Strick had spoken all of once the entire walk. “Strick!” she called, wondering if he had been listening to Markus’s story.

“Hmmm?” Strick didn’t slow down so Creiha and Markus could walk in line with him or even look back. He just kept walking, but Creiha noticed the leisurely tone of his voice, the heavy moroseness she had grown accustomed to having dissipated.

“Have you ever been to Hiarnim?” Creiha asked.

“Yes,” Strick answered with a slight nod, slowing just a little so Creiha and Markus could catch up.

“What’s it like there?” Creiha asked with interest.

“The people in Hiarnim live in the shadow of Kalinth Castle where the royal family resides. The castle is their security. The castle is their life,” Strick responded, his eyes still fixed ahead.

“People in Sray-Valom despised Kalinth royalty,” Creiha remarked, wondering what the people of Hiarnim found so endearing about a giant, gray castle glowering down upon them. “But you already know that.” She kicked a few more rocks out of the road.

Strick nodded and smirked.

“Can we take the main road back too?” asked Markus, his olive eyes sparkling with elation. “The forest does not sound very inviting compared to this.”

“With the rate Creiha is kicking rocks, there won’t be much of a road on the way back,” Strick remarked good-naturedly.

“There isn’t much else to do along this road!” Creiha defended herself with a delighted laugh, “If you actually talked, I might not be kicking so many rocks,” Creiha said with a crooked smirk.

Strick smiled.

Markus sparked a new conversation with Creiha, but Creiha was transfixed by the changing scenery; she had never seen so many shades of green, so many sizes of trees, so many types of houses. And when they passed other travelers, Creiha was fascinated by the way they spoke with one another. For a long time, the three traveled uneventfully as Markus pointed out every new bit of landscape and erupted into laughter at Creiha’s gasps.

Shadows materialized ahead, poking out from behind a turn in the road and glittering in the sunlight; they were the king’s patrols, battered armor visible even at a distance. As soon as the patrols came into view, a hush fell over Markus and Strick, and Creiha could see Markus tense beside her. They passed the patrols in silence, and Markus flashed the guards a flattering smile; they only eyed him warily and walked on.

Creiha exhaled slowly when they were out of hearing range and bit her lower lip. “I didn’t know there were patrols on the main road,” she said, her voice squeaking with fear.

“I don’t think they recognized us,” Markus muttered in a hopeful voice and glanced over at Creiha with an enormous grin.

The sound of thundering hooves split the silence that ensued, and Creiha halted in her steps, turning slowly to see five mounted soldiers charging toward them, bent over on their muscular horses; Creiha’s mouth dropped open and her heart lurched forward and caught in her throat. “I don’t–”

“Drat!” Markus shouted and inched closer to the treeline, preparing to leap into the bushes and hide.

Despite her senses which screamed at her to run, Creiha was rooted to the ground where she stood, her eyes fixed on the soldiers who stormed closer with every moment. A breeze stirred around her, and the piercing whistle of wind brushed her hearing. Strick shoved Creiha behind him and shouted something to Markus.

Markus leapt toward the forest crouched in a ditch by the side of the road, his face spattered with mud. “Creiha!” he shouted and grabbed her arm roughly, yanking her down into his hiding place.

A chill creeping through her arms and legs, Creiha swallowed hard and looked up to see Strick still standing in the middle of the road, directly in the soldiers’s path; a pale blue cloud had descended over his eyes as he stood, staring fixedly at the soldiers. Abruptly, a violent blast of wind erupted from behind him at an ineffable speed and struck the soldiers full in the chest, two of the riders falling backwards off their horses while the other horses reared in surprise, stumbling over themselves and slipping on the stones in the road. Creiha could not see Strick through the haze that the wind had sucked into its powerful rush.

Markus squeezed Creiha’s arm tightly and drew her closer to him in the bushes; Creiha looked upon his face to see anxiety settling there. The warmth of Markus’s touch only disquieted Creiha further, and she began to tremble fearfully.

Without warning, the wind dissipated in all directions and hurled the remaining riders into the trees that lined the main road; the soldiers lay unmoving. Creiha cried out in surprise when Strick was suddenly beside her, and Markus clamped one hand over her mouth.

“Good job,” Markus hissed, “we should cross through the forest toward Kilandin before more patrols come.”

Strick nodded silently, his face more pale than usual and his eyes clouded with exhaustion.

Shaking badly, Creiha fell against Markus when he helped her to her feet and felt a few frightened tears escape her eyes. Markus did not notice; he only held Creiha’s hand tightly and led her into the concealment of the trees, Strick following closely behind.

Soon they came upon a clearing pervaded by large, gray stones that glistened in the scant sunlight leaking to the forest floor. Around the stones the grass was silver as if coated with a thick frost. The stones glowed with a thin, almost sickly light, and Creiha’s heart began to race with a sort of terror when Markus released her arm.

“Why are we here?” Creiha whispered hoarsely, her face clammy with sweat.

“This is a speaking stone garden. Few know they exist,” Markus explained, his eyes set on Strick. All traces of calm had vanished from Strick’s expression, and unconcealed fear roiled in his dark eyes as he regarded the speaking stones. His skin was sallow, and he looked as if at any moment he might collapse, but when Creiha followed Markus’s gaze, Strick managed a ghost of a smile.

“A speaking stone garden?” Creiha inquired, her eyes still locked with Strick’s curiously. She thought of the wind and a tremor of fear coursed through her body. What was he?

“Yes, like the speaking stones of Syldameth I told you about. I love these gardens. They are so beautiful,” Markus remarked, casting Creiha lopsided grin and sinking onto a stone leisurely.

“We should… leave this place, Markus,” Strick said breathlessly and drew a ragged breath. Apprehension flashed across his eyes, and he ran one hand through his crow black hair.

“The soldiers won’t find us here,” Markus announced with a strained laugh.

“Markus–”

“Just give Creiha a little time to rest. She might like it here.” Badly shaken by the attack of Kalinth’s soldiers, Markus knotted his hands in his lap and closed his eyes.

Strick frowned deeply, but did not respond, and Creiha wiped at a few terrified tears, hiding her face. She ventured toward the rock beside Markus and reached down to lower herself when pain jolted through her, and she jumped back in surprise.

“What do you think of the stones, Creiha?” Markus asked, smothering the fear in his expression with a giant grin and patting the stone he sat upon.

“They are… beautiful, I suppose,” Creiha answered, choking on her own words and swallowing hard.

Of course she likes the stones; it is better that way. A familiar voice rang in Creiha’s mind, and she started, blinking a few times and rubbing her temples. The voice continued, Like Oceanstone, they are a tragic beauty, but she should never have to see Oceanstone. I would not subject her to that fate. Fear torrenting through her mind, Creiha backed up against a tree and bit back unbidden sobs. What was happening to her? Why had she ever left Sray-Valom? “I hear voices,” she suddenly wept, sinking down against the tree and lowering her head to her knees. “I hear a voice. What is happening to me?”

Markus jumped up from the stone where he sat, his eyes wide with something akin to horror. “What?”

“I’m hearing things,” Creiha sobbed, covering her face with her arms to hide her shameful tears.

His eyes darting over to his friend, Markus whispered in a shaking voice, “Strick?”

Lifting her head just a little, Creiha could see Strick standing in front of her, his expression broken and twisted in her bleary vision. “What are you hearing, Creiha?” he asked, and Creiha could hear the trepidation in his voice.

“Something about Oceanstone, and the speaking stones. It was a voice – a familiar voice. It was – it was.” Creiha closed her eyes tightly and thought of the words, summoning them back to her. Inhaling sharply, Creiha looked up at Strick, and her heart sank within her; she scrambled to her feet and shouted accusingly, “It was you!” Markus bit his lower lip and looked on anxiously, but Strick only stood before Creiha, gazing down into her eyes calmly. “What is going on?” Creiha cried, tears trickling down her cheeks. “First, the wind and now this, and you barely even stop to tell me what is happening! What are you?” Creiha cried, tears tracking down her pale cheeks and her green eyes glittering like broken glass submerged in her fear.

Strick turned to her, his calm expression lined with sharp cracks where emotion leaked through. "What am I?" he said breathlessly.

“Yes! What are you? You’re never joyful, but you’re never distraught; you didn’t shed a single tear when Arillo died. I bet you don’t feel anything anymore, that you are just like one of those stupid rocks, that you’re just some statue Lecräesa accidentally left behind. What are you?” Creiha yelled, her indignation mounting and blotting out all terror; she rose to her feet and stood face to face with Strick, glaring at him furiously, her golden hair plastered to her sweaty forehead and falling in front of her face.

His eyes freezing over with anger, Strick only returned her glare. “You haven’t the slightest idea what you are talking about,” he told her in a cold, biting voice.

Creiha shuddered beneath his frigid gaze and cowered; thankfully, Markus intervened and shoved his way between the two, chuckling nervously. “Well, this isn’t very pleasant. How about we move on to a more amiable subject!” Markus clapped one hand on Creiha’s shoulder, but Creiha eyes were still fixed angrily on Strick. Strick’s eyes thawed immediately, and he looked extremely shaken by his own words as he turned his back on Creiha and wandered over to where Markus had dropped his things. “Like how old the rocks are!” Markus suggested.

“Fine. How old are the rocks?” Creiha asked begrudgingly.

“Nobody knows!” Markus answered excitedly, “and that is why they are so fascinating. Do you know why they are called the speaking stones?”

“No, Markus, why are they called the speaking stones?”

“Because they can speak!”

“Of course,” Creiha responded with a sigh, “but who do they speak to?”

“I’m sure Strick would know!” Markus blurted, leaning against a tree and grinning.

Strick whirled around in shock. “Markus!”

Quelling the note of satisfaction that tasted sour in the pit of her stomach, Creiha stared at Strick in surprise. “You can talk to the rocks?” she gasped. Heat rushed to Markus’s face, and he nearly choked in surprise. “Would you teach me?” Creiha asked.

“No, I will not teach you how to and I try not to make a habit of talking to rocks often!” Strick announced in frustration.

Markus lowered his eyes sheepishly.

“Why not?” Creiha frowned

“Rocks aren’t as polite as they look.”

“You mean to tell me they’re rude?” Creiha asked, laughing quietly. “Do they ever talk to you?” Creiha inquired, stepping closer to Strick with a smirk on her face.

Strick eyed her fearfully before answering, “Yes, they do and it is often wisest to ignore them.”

“Ignore the rocks?” Creiha chuckled.

“It is not funny,” Strick informed her softly.

“No?” Sour bitterness crawling into her throat, Creiha glared at Strick and said, “I would think you would be happy to be hard as a stone because stones don't burn,” she spat.

A glaze of pain settling over his whirling blue eyes, Strick glared down at Creiha with disconcerting intensity, and Creiha cowered beneath his gaze. Creiha thought he might strike her and squeezed her eyes shut, but Strick did not. When Creiha opened her eyes reluctantly, Strick had turned abruptly away from her and was walking away without another word. When he was gone, a wave of guilt swept over her when she realized what she had said. Sour bile clawing at her sore throat, Creiha blinked to hold back self-loathing tears.

“Creiha!” Markus shouted, running both hands through his sandy-blond hair, “What did you have to do that for?” He shook his head and stared at the ground.

Creiha closed her eyes tightly. “I’m sorry,” she whispered hoarsely.

“Well, don’t apologize to me!” Markus yelled and stuffed his traveling things underneath his feet, sighing in exasperation.

Creiha gazed off into the forest where Strick had disappeared and gnawed on her lower lip. Strick? Her mind quested out to find him, but she met only a solid, foreboding wall. Sighing, Creiha sank to the ground beside Markus and buried her face in her hands. What is wrong with me? she thought and swallowed the tears that stung her eyes. What am I?
~
Notes: Very important scene. Does Creiha get too angry too soon? I'm worried about characterization here, so would anyone give character impressions?
~

Captain Sophie Pierce emerged from her room in full armor, hair drawn up into crude ponytail as if nothing had happened. Her guards stared nervously at her from the corners of her eyes, and she held her head high, marching through the corridor and into the barracks. Traez and Embel awaited her there, Embel lounging on a bale of hay and yawning while Traez stood stiffly beside him. When Sophie stormed in, Embel scrambled to his feet and saluted.

“Captain Pierce!” Embel exclaimed, saluting and then dropping his hand to his side, grinning. “We didn’t expect you back so soon.”

Sophie glared at him in distaste, “I didn’t expect to find you sleeping here waiting for me. Shouldn’t you be doing something important?”

Embel shook his head, “King Hedjlon ordered me to await orders from you here!” he said.

“Of course,I should have guessed our kingly majesty would do something of that sort,” she snorted.

“Your orders, Captain Pierce?” Traez asked coldly, his face still as stone. Sophie bit her lip at his expression and fought feelings of regret.

“Yes, orders, sir?” Embel echoed his comrade, placing his hands on hips proudly.

“Embel, gather my regiment. We head to Hiarnim tonight, no delays,” Sophie ordered. “We wouldn’t want anything happening to the king’s sweet little bride, would we?”

Embel whistled and quickly turned to exit the room whispering “Somebody’s in a bad mood,” when he passed Traez. Traez kept the smirk from his face and met Sophie’s gaze reluctantly.

Sophie drew in a deep breath and ran her fingers through her hair, “Traez…” she began, uncertain of what she could say to heal this breach.

Traez didn’t attempt to aid in her words. He just asked, “Your orders, Captain Pierce?”

“Traez, please just listen to me for a moment. I’m so used to ordering people around I almost can’t… break from it. I’m really sorry. Can we just put this behind us and keep working together?” Sophie pleaded with him, each word chipping at her confidence and building her anxiety.

Traez just stared at her. “Captain Pierce, kindly give your orders,” he responded tartly, a flicker of satisfaction in his eye.

Sophie bit her lower lip, but after a moment of silence, straightened. “Of course, Traez,” she croaked and rummaged through all the papers King Hedjlon’s messenger had sent. King Hedjlon wanted the Third Regiment with them. “Sir, would you rally the Third Regiment and meet me in the stables. And kindly check on Embel to be sure he is not sleeping on the job.” She used the most professional tone she could muster, refusing to meet Traez’s eyes.

“Yes, captain,” Traez nodded, uncertainty edging into his expression. “And-and Sophie?” he swallowed hard.

Sophie’s heart leapt in hope when he used her name, “Yes, Traez?” she looked up expectantly.

“We-We’ll talk in Hiarnim, all right?” Traez reasoned, licking his lips nervously.

“Of course, Traez,” Sophie forced a smile and dismissed him as casually as possible, but when he left, she collapsed on a bale of hay and breathed deeply. She hoped the child Ristev would live until she returned from Hiarnim.
~
Notes: short little scene. :)





Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
— Nelson Mandela