z

Young Writers Society

Flames of Lecraesa: Chapter 7 (Black Chains)

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat May 19, 2007 12:47 pm
Writersdomain says...

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7

PG for frightening images and violence

Chapter 7! This one might be a bit slow posting; I'm taking a lot of time revising these scenes because they're important. Still, this is in a rather rough form. All comments and crits welcomed.

All 5 scenes have been posted.

Chapter 7: Black Chains

It was late and dim light from Kilandin’s dusty lampposts flooded the glimmering, black street, offering a begrudging kind of relief. Water from the early evening’s rain streamed through the grooves in the cobblestone road, the spacious market vacant save a few peasants lingering among the abandoned booths. All the traders had cleared their merchandise hours before to avoid the rain and the threat of robbers this late at night.

Strick scanned the street and listened to Creiha and Markus exchanging chuckles and admiring the tranquil town. Frankly, Strick did not see what was so peaceful about the wide, empty eyes, filled with longing, that peered out of the alleys. It began to rain hard, and Strick squinted up at the sky, calmed by the gentle rainfall. It was very dark – black almost, but not without the feathery clouds that resembled shadows and dragged across the sky like heavy, black chains. Markus’s booming voice startled Strick and he glanced at his friend irritably.

“There it is! There’s the inn!” Markus announced, pointing towards a large building standing at the corner of the street. Soft, dusty light greased the wooden steps leading up to the inn, and a fatigued peasant stood on near the steps, stretching to light the lamppost with his lantern on a long, metal hook.

Creiha’s mouth parted with excitement, and she drew nearer to Markus, gazing in the direction he pointed. “It looks nicer than most of the inns in Sray-Valom!” she exclaimed, her lips bending upwards in an excited smile. In the liquid lantern-light, her golden hair glistened and her skin blanched a shade paler.

“It is,” Markus assured her with a warm grin, grasping her elbow and leading her forward at a quicker pace. Strick followed them, a ghost in their shadow, taking care to remain silent and unnoticed.

“Oh, good! I’m exhausted,” Creiha remarked with a relieved sigh, allowing herself to be pulled forward by Markus. She laughed softly, her laugh resounding in the thick stillness that enveloped the town.

“I’m famished!” Markus gasped and leapt up the steps to the inn. Markus was always hungry. He knocked on the door obnoxiously loud. Strick shuffled up the steps behind him; he felt strangely lightheaded beneath the warm lantern light.

When the innkeeper opened the door, Markus burst into the inn with Creiha at his side and rushed toward the innkeeper’s desk. Strick slipped in a few moments afterwards and closed the door behind him. Markus slammed his palms on the innkeeper’s desk and awakened the sleeping man. Creiha shifted uncomfortably, embarrassed at Markus’s audacious gesture when the innkeeper awoke with a start. “Two rooms,” Markus said with a huge grin. He was drenched and a puddle of water had begun to pool at his feet; all eyes in the inn turned toward him.

The innkeeper opened his mouth to speak, but Markus was already leading Creiha farther into the inn and pointing out the nuances of the building. He was beaming.

The innkeeper sat behind his crude desk, staring after Markus, dumbfounded.

Strick sighed and approached the innkeeper, digging in his cloak for any coins. “I apologize in advance for any inconveniences.”

“Oh, no! He’s no… inconvenience!” The innkeeper stammered with a shake of his head.

Strick smiled. “Save your flattery. Trust me, he will be.” Strick dropped a few coins into the innkeeper’s hand. “Two rooms for tonight. We’ll be leaving at sunrise tomorrow.” He turned around, scanning the room for any sign of Markus who had disappeared into the first hall.

“Thank you very much. All the peasant rooms are down that hallway,” the innkeeper leaned over his desk and pointed, “The foyer is at the end and is open all night.”

Strick nodded and, without another word, he strode off in the direction Markus had gone. Markus was at the end of the hall, explaining to Creiha how old this inn was, why it was built and what he thought of the building. An affectionate smile lit Creiha’s face as she listened with shallow interest, nodding and grunting at all the appropriate times.

Strick approached them and listened to Markus’s raving for a few minutes before interrupting. “We must leave tomorrow at sunrise. Creiha, your room is at the end of the hallway. Markus, yours is beside hers.” He cocked his head toward the foyer.

Creiha turned to face him and frowned. “What about you?” she asked with surprising sincerity.

“I’m fine.” Strick managed a faint smile.

Before Creiha could protest, Markus grinned and led Creiha toward her room. He opened the door for her and told her to catch some sleep. Strick just stood there for a moment, watching Markus close the door behind Creiha. They should have reached Hiarnim tonight.

Markus exhaled in relief, striding toward Strick with a crooked smile. “We made it to Kilandin, and Creiha is still intact.” He stretched his arms behind his head and chuckled.

Strick glanced toward her door. “Very impressive,” he remarked in a voice hoarse with exhaustion.

Markus’s expression suddenly turned grim, and he regarded Strick with blatant concern. “You need to rest tonight. It’s been three days,” he observed sternly.

Strick shook his head.

“I’m serious, Strick. You could kill yourself, going on like this.” Markus frowned deeply and crossed his arms, mouth twisting in worry. “See! I can be just as stubborn as you!”

“Am I supposed to be impressed?”

“I know what you’re afraid of, Strick, but you can’t go on like this! I know it, and you know it,” Markus insisted, gazing at Strick with an acute understanding.

“I won’t risk frightening Creiha.”

“It won’t happen this time, Strick. The Jiastar curse is–” Markus began.

“I can’t, Markus.”

“Oh yes, you can!”

“No, I cannot. Besides, I need to be alert in case something happens.” Strick stared at the ground, tiring of this clash of wills very quickly.

“Strick, no one can hurt us in Kilandin.,” Markus argued, grimacing frustratedly. “Kilandin is safe!”

“You don’t know that,” Strick protested.

Markus groaned and rolled his eyes, throwing his hands up in the air. “Fine! I surrender. Do whatever you want, but I am going to catch some very anticipated and needed sleep! I’ll be in my room if anything happens and I will be asleep and unashamed of it.” Markus marched off to his room, muttering to himself under his breath. He didn’t reemerge.

Strick breathed deeply, running one hand through his damp hair, and trudged toward the foyer past Markus and Creiha’s rooms. It was almost empty, only a few commoners slumping along the walls or sprawled over the tables. Strick chose the farthest corner and sat against the wall, eyeing the doorway disinterestedly. Commoners leaked in and out of the foyer silently. Strick’s legs ached with fatigue, his eyelids heavy with exhaustion. It was very dark outside – darker and thicker than Strick remembered. For hours, only senseless commoners walked about and the heavy silence of the room weighed upon Strick’s consciousness. Before long, Strick resigned to his body and drifted off into a tormented sleep.

~
Notes: Is the action too forced? Do I need more description of the inn? Was the scene too sparse, or too lengthly in sentence structure? This is from Strick's POV, so it has a bit of a different feel to it, more melancholy, but was it overdone?
~

Darkness roiled deep from the wells of black glass that cut, ripped, tore into his body and mind; he could feel blood, trickling down his face and his hands and mixing with the water below. It was thick, dark and red, and he watched it with horror as he realized where he was. The stone floor was familiar and once again he was on his knees in the freezing water, cold as death. He was trembling uncontrollably. Terror torrenting through his mind, he fought the chains that held him to the stone floor, gasping for the air that had suddenly escaped his lungs. He couldn’t move his head and his eyes were fixed on the blood and the glass and the black chains below. He recognized this place. The Jiastar curse. Please no – in mercy’s name, no! Black chains wrapped around his arms, his neck, his waist and dragged him closer to the deathly cold stone floor; he couldn’t breathe.

Armor-clad soldiers emerged from the dark bushes and sloshed through the muddy forest floor toward them, blood-red eyes churning in their sockets; grins painted their faces a hideous shade as they approached. Jaistin shoved the child behind him and stepped back, terror crossing his eyes.

Suddenly the soldiers took on a human face and one of them regarded Jaistin suspiciously. “A strange to build a home now, isn’t it?” the captain sneered and watched Jaistin cower. Thirteen of King Hialdrin’s soldiers stood behind the captain. The captain wrinkled his nose and signaled to his soldiers. “Grab the child!”

“No!” the child shrieked when two soldiers lurched toward him and snatched him away from Jaistin, shoving him into the ground. Jaistin cast the child a warning glare, and the child remained silent, trembling fearfully.
“What do you want with us?” Jaistin asked breathlessly.

“The two of you seem suspicious, hiding out here. Why don’t you settle in a city?” the captain asked, circling Jaistin threateningly.

Jaistin didn’t answer.

“Is the child yours?” The captain cocked his head toward the child in disgust. “Is he your son?”

“No, he’s my nephew,” Jaistin answered hoarsely, his arms trembling at his sides when he spoke; his face was twisted with horror. He could not master it.

“Where’s his mother?” The captain eyed the child menacingly. The child cowered.

“Dead,” Jaistin answered.

“And his father?” the captain turned back to Jaistin.

“Also dead.” Jaistin swallowed hard and met the captain's gaze reluctantly.

“What’s his name?”

“Nobody knows.”

“What’s he called then?”

“I call him Strick.”

The captain froze and whirled to the child. “Really, now? What a
strange name. Is that your name, child?” the captain crouched in front of the child.

The child nodded hesitantly, biting his lip hard in fear. Jaistin could only stare helplessly. The captain stood with a furious look on his face, glaring at Jaistin. “You are hiding something, man.” Jaistin winced.

“Captain Pierce?” one of the soldiers eyed the captain curiously. “What now?”

Captain Sinder Pierce stroked his beard for a moment before pointing at the child. The two soldiers that held the child tensed. “Restrain our humble little hermit for a moment.” Two other soldiers grabbed Jaistin. Captain Pierce stared at the child with a twisted smile. “Who was your father, child? Answer me and I will not hurt you.”

“Stop it!” Jaistin suddenly yelled, fighting the soldiers who restrained him desperately.

The child only stared at the captain in confusion. “I-I don’t know,” he told him.

Captain Pierce scowled and asked once more, “Tell me, child! Who was your father?”

“I don’t know.” The child answered again, voice shaking in fear.

Captain Pierce grabbed the child by the hair and jerked his head up to meet his gaze. “Who was your father?” he demanded angrily,
“Tell me, you rat!”

“I don’t know!” the child shouted, “I don’t know!”

“Tell me!” Captain Pierce slapped the child hard and screamed in his face.

The child cringed at the blow and didn’t answer; he hunched his shoulders and stared at the ground. When the captain repeated his question and slapped the child again, the child lifted his head slowly and glared at the captain with sudden defiance, eyes darkening in a challenge.

“You rat, answer my question!” Captain Sinder Pierce roared.

“No,” the child whispered.

“Tell me who your father was!”

“No!”

Jaistin paled and stopped squirming in the soldier’s arms, his eyes wide with terror. When the captain raised his hand to strike again, Jaistin intervened. “He doesn’t know! He wasn’t told!”

The captain glared at Jaistin, “You didn’t tell him, you fool?” he whispered. Scowling, he pointed at the child. “Kill it!”

Jaistin cried out in protest and kicked the soldiers away from him; he elbowed one in the face, breaking his nose. “Strick, run!” he yelled frantically as the soldiers recovered from their shock and drew their swords.

The child bolted before Captain Pierce could grab him and darted through the trees. He heard Jaistin’s painful scream and ran faster, ran harder, frightened tears stinging his eyes. He heard Captain Pierce’s shouts behind him.

“I don’t care if you have to kill the brat; just find it!”

The child ran, the wind at his back; he heard Jaistin scream again and then silence - a deathly silence for a moment. His legs were like river reeds beneath him, ready to buckle at any moment when he heard the snarling of dogs. No! Strick could hear their paws behind him, angry snarls pursuing him. He couldn’t outrun them; they were catching up too quickly for a five year old’s small legs. Jaistin! He cried mentally, questing for Jaistin’s mind desperately, but he felt only a dark expanse, devoid of all life. A bark sounded behind him and Strick tripped over a root, twisting his ankle and striking his head on one of the jagged rocks. The dogs leapt on top of him, tearing at him with their claws. Strick screamed and suddenly felt a hand with a strange-smelling rag over his mouth and nose. Inhaling desperately, his world seemed to fade as the strange fume filled his lungs and he lost consciousness. In the darkness, Strick saw fire – a dark fire like the one in Sray-Valom, leaping up on all sides. He could hear his own screams, desperate cries for help and heard Hedjlon’s voice nearby.

“He will meet the same fate as his father.”

Strick screamed again as more flames licked up around him. Suddenly, he was kneeling on the stones again, glass shards digging into his skin, black chains holding him to the freezing ground; and despite the cold, he still burned, inhaling the fumes from the fire below and choking.
The Jiastar curse, the Jiastar curse – whatever you see, it cannot be real, he tried to convince himself.

And then the voice of a woman, jeering, heartless–

“You thought you could defy me, but you will die at the hand of the one you seek.”

~
Notes: should be a bit confusing as it is a dream; however, all crits are welcomed. And the use of multiple verbs and adjectives for a single action/thing is intentional. It was meant to convey the frenetic tone of the scene.
Last edited by Writersdomain on Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 10 times in total.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat May 26, 2007 12:09 am
AWritersFantasy says...

I really liked this chapter. I like that it gives the reader more background about Strick's past that he's obviously not willing to give. I'm definitely wanting to read more. ^____^

563 Reviews

Sat May 26, 2007 1:58 pm
Writersdomain says...

Thanks for the comment. ^_^ Now I can start posting the rest of the chapter.

(Chapter 7 continued)

“Strick!” Markus’s frantic voice stabbed through Strick’s dream, and Strick awoke to his own gasps, his head spinning uncontrollably and a wave of heat flashing through his body. He doubled over and struggled to breathe.

“I–I’m fine–” Strick whispered, staggering over his words unintelligibly; he couldn’t stop trembling, and he could feel sweat – or were those tears? – rolling down his face. Markus grabbed Strick’s arm and half-dragged him to his feet; the coolness of Markus’s hand was strangely soothing, the firmness of his grip assuring that he would not let go.

The cool night breeze hit Strick full in the face and sent chills racing through his body. The world settled into more set patterns and dizziness abated when Strick was forced to sit outside of the inn. Strick could feel his heart slamming against his chest in a desperate attempt to be free.

“Strick?” Markus addressed him in a wavering voice; Strick could barely see the outline of his friend’s pallid face.

Torrents of paranoia washed through Strick, and for a moment, Markus looked like one of the men with red eyes. A twisted grin warped Markus’s face, and Strick desperately fought the urge to run. Markus’s hand gravitated towards him, and Strick choked on his own breaths, willing himself to stop panicking, but to no avail.

Fire flared in the corners of Strick’s vision and he closed his eyes tightly, lowering his head into his hands to ward off the visions. Suppressing the frantic tears that rose in his throat, Strick shuddered involuntarily and swallowed the unbidden cry scratching at the cavity in his chest.

Markus sounded afraid when he said, “Whatever you see, it’s not real.”

Strick only shuddered again, unable to control his trembling body.

“Listen!” Markus repeated with more authority this time. “Whatever you see, it’s not real! Wherever the fire took you, you are not there anymore.”

“I–I know,” Strick tried to reason, but he could not find his voice. Another unfounded wave of panic clogged Strick’s throat, and he struggled for air. He felt Markus’s cool hand rest on his shoulder and shuddered. Stay away; stay away from me. Please, he pleaded inwardly and fought the onset of fear that came over him.

“What was it this time?” Markus questioned gently, his olive eyes glowing with earnestness that frightened Strick.

“The same as always,” Strick managed to whisper. He could still see the blood red eyes of the soldiers coming toward him, feel the fire licking against his skin and roaring inside his head. Markus’s hand felt like ice on Strick’s shoulder. “Please don’t touch me. Please leave,” Strick said, choking on his own words and succumbing to another unwanted shudder.

Markus lifted his hand, concern written across his face. “Are you going to be all right?” he asked hoarsely.

“In the morning, yes,” Strick answered, still holding his head in his hands. He didn’t dare look Markus in the eyes or his friend would indefinitely see the unbridled fear and shame running deep in his features.

Markus hesitated. “Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Then I’m going to make sure Creiha is still asleep and leave you here,” Markus assented in a quavering voice, turning his back reluctantly and striding back into the inn. Strick heard the door close behind him and dared to move his hands away from his face and stare at the muddy ground, riddled with puddles of rainwater.

Strick sat outside, the rain soaking his face and body, streaming down his arms and neck and drenching his black hair. Balling his hands into fists, Strick watched the rain fall and the ripples of the dark water spread and then ebb until the puddle was a smooth surface once more. He lowered his head and drew a deep, shaking breath. Let it rain, he thought, let it rain until the end of the world. I can’t do this alone.
~
Notes: Still rather rough, but it's better than the original scene.
~

Lusien was thankful for the crisp breeze that rushed into the dungeon when the door was opened, the dense air around her seeming to clear and the chill of the air tingling on her arms. She closed her eyes and smiled faintly. The king and his guard had ridden out to Hiarnim and all the hope in Gietan’s expression had dissipated at the news.

Lusien turned her head to glance at the guard entering through the door. After affirming that Gietan was asleep, she had allowed her hood to slip from her head so the wind could sting the sides of her sweating face. Crudely cut, uneven brown hair fell loosely down her back, awkwardly shaped because it had been pinned up under her hood for so long. Murky, dark violet eyes glimmered as the light struck her face at a queer angle.

The guard hung his cloak on one of the hooks on the wall and began approaching their cell. His face was grim when he saw her sitting there. “Are you Lusien Riorev?” he asked gruffly.

Lusien glared at him. “Why do you ask?” she asked cautiously, hands reaching back for her hood in case he might enter.

“She is needed.” The guard eyed her carefully. “I assume it is she I speak to?”

Lusien pulled her hood about her face. “I am she,” she whispered softly.

The guard nodded and jammed his key into the lock, turning it violently. Gietan moaned at the sound, but remained asleep. Lusien stepped back a little, fearful of the guard’s amused smirk.

“What do you want?” she asked.

“Shut up, Svarë. Come with me,” the guard snapped and strode toward Lusien brazenly.

Lusien flinched as if struck and grimaced at him. “Not until you tell me what you want!” she protested, her voice trembling at the frightful look on his face. She backed away from him.

The guard’s upper lip curled into a sneer. “Shut your mouth and follow.” He stood before her now, smirking wryly. “Your father is coming for you, Svarë exile.”

Lusien swallowed the lump of terror that caught in her throat. “I am perfectly fine in this cell.”

“We wish to place you under heavier guard until the king returns!” The guard lunged at her, but Lusien dodged him and reached for the knife in her boot. Before she could whip the knife out, the guard delivered a blow to the side of her face, and Lusien cried out in surprise. Lusien kneed him in the stomach, but he grabbed her arm violently and twisted it behind her back. Shrieking from the pain, Lusien fell limp in the guard’s grasp. “Gietan!” she cried, her head pounding with hot blood when the guard began to drag her out of the cell.

Gietan stirred in his sleep but did not awake.

Lusien thrashed and fought desperately, but the guard held her tightly. She screamed when the guard covered her mouth and nose with a damp rag, forcing her to inhale. A heavy, dense fume filled her lungs and the word spun around her. “Gietan!” she managed to scream one last time, but her head was swimming beyond consciousness and her world into an inky darkness.
~
Notes: Is it rushed? Rather rough again.
~ WD

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

59 Reviews

Sun May 27, 2007 1:12 am
AWritersFantasy says...

Oooh. I wanna read moooooore! I don't think it was rushed. I can't wait to read more. ^_^

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sun May 27, 2007 8:51 pm
Royboy says...

Oh yes I really liked it, especially now that we get to find out more about Strick. The dream sequence was just a bit confusing, but I eventually made sense of it. As you said, it was a dream so it was bound to be a little confusing, right? The whole "Tell me who your father was." thing went on for a while and it started to get a bit redundant, if you know what I mean. I think you need to keep in the fact that Pierce was hitting him, but you don't have to really say it so many times. Otherwise, it was very well written, you shouldn't be worrying about not getting enough detail. I really liked the way it ended with Lusien being taken away. I'll be waiting. =]
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

563 Reviews

Sun May 27, 2007 9:40 pm
Writersdomain says...

Thanks for the suggestions, Roya. I was a bit shaky about that part with the 'tell me who your father is' too.

Last scene of chapter 7 (from Markus's POV! Woot!)

Only a few faint rays of sunlight filtered into the room when Markus awoke. He sat up and moaned at the soreness in his legs; he hadn’t traveled in a long time. Grunting, Markus stood slowly and looked out the window to ensure it was truly morning. The streets outside were still dark, but the sky was veiled with the gray light of sunrise. Markus stared out at the gray sky and wondered if it would rain today.

After dressing quickly, Markus strode over to Creiha’s room and knocked loudly on the door. “Creiha, wake up!” he yelled and heard groaning from within the room. Frowning, Markus knocked again on the hard wood of the door, unnerved by the emptiness of the inn’s hall. “It’s sunrise – time to wake up!”

The door opened and Creiha’s face appeared, her golden hair tangled and stiff as it hung around her head. “Why do we have to leave so early?” she demanded groggily, dark shadows stretching beneath her eyes.

Markus just smiled. “Don’t you want to go to Hiarnim, Creiha?”

Creiha slammed the door in his face, and Markus let out a breathless laugh when he heard Creiha bustling about inside.

He turned away from her door and strode down the hall toward the nearly vacant foyer, the first tendrils of worry crawling up his throat when he wondered if Strick was still there. The inn was strangely quiet; Markus could hear the echo of his own footsteps on the wooden floor. Strick met him half-way down the hall, and Markus grinned at his friend. “Creiha’s awake.”

Strick glanced over at Creiha’s door. “Thanks.”

“Are you all right?” Markus asked concernedly, watching his friend’s expression with scrutiny. Another early riser passed by them and cast them a wary glance, but did not speak.

“I’ll be fine,” Strick answered, mustering a smile. “Was Creiha… all right last night?” he asked softly and met Markus’s eyes reluctantly; Markus could still see remains of the wild fear that had filled Strick’s eyes the night before.

“She didn’t hear anything; she was sound asleep last night,” Markus assured his friend. “And you shouldn’t have to worry about that, Strick,” he added quickly, hoping desperately that Strick would listen to him. “You can’t hide everything.” When Strick did not reply, Markus continued, “And you’re not always fine. I know that.”

“Thank you, Markus,” Strick responded in a painfully impassive voice.

Markus was tempted to continue but decided not to push the subject any further. Tucking the map he had brought with him under his arm, Markus sighed and walked with Strick toward the foyer where he laid the map flat out on one of the tables. He stepped back, gazing down at the wrinkled map in the warm light. “How in the world are we going to get into Hiarnim without causing a ruckus?” he inquired, stroking his chin.

“The West Gate – it is not heavily guarded this time of year,” Strick answered, gazing down at the map blankly.

“What? You don’t want to tangle with the guards?” Markus teased, pushing aside his worry and managing a grin. He leaned against the adjacent wall, staring down at the map ponderously.

Strick glanced over at him and smirked. “Not if we want to smuggle Creiha in alive and in one piece.”

Markus laughed. “Or we could dig underneath the walls of Hiarnim, or pass ourselves off as the king!” He rested his head against he wall and looked up at the ceiling, breathing deeply.

Strick rolled his eyes.

Noticing Strick’s reaction, Markus grumbled, “You’re no fun.”

Strick smirked. “Once we get into the city, we should be all right so long as no one recognizes us. You can show Creiha the market there.” His eyes were still fixed absently on the map, and Markus wondered what he was thinking.

“And what are you going to do?” Markus laughed and rolled his map up, stuffing it back into his pack. “Sulk?”

“I don’t sulk, Markus.”

“Then what do you call it?” Markus snorted.

“It’s called not voicing every opinion that comes to mind,” Strick said, casting Markus a meaningful look.

“Hey!”

“Are we going now?” Creiha’s irritated voice interrupted their conversation, and Markus turned in surprise to see her standing nearby, a sour scowl edging across her lips. “I hate the morning.”

“Somebody’s in a bad mood,” Markus muttered to Strick beneath his breath. “Who does that remind me of?” he elbowed Strick hard and felt his friend flinch in response.

“Whomever could you be talking about?”

Well?” Creiha asked shrilly, glaring at both Strick and Markus.

Markus chuckled. “It’s not that early, Creiha.” He walked toward her and offered to help her with her things, but Creiha stepped away and stiffened angrily.

“Yes, it is,” she hissed.

“All right!” Markus held both hands up and leaned away from Creiha. “I’ll leave you alone.” He could feel the heat of Creiha’s furious eyes burning a hole in his forehead. Soon, the three were headed out the door of the inn and into the nearly empty streets. The lampposts still burned dully in the harsh light of morning and for the first time, Markus noticed how their black paint was peeling. Markus walked with Strick, Creiha trudging behind them moodily and ruining the tranquility of morning. He would never forgive her for that.

The narrow road out of Kilandin quickly merged with the main road which stretched all the way to Hiarnim and Kalinth Castle. The damp ground was still muddy from last night’s rain, and Creiha moaned at the way her boots sunk deep into the mud. Trees hung over the road, and Markus closed his eyes and felt the morning sunlight spill all around him. Creiha stepped up beside him, and Markus smiled. We will see who you are truly are in Hiarnim, Arlondom girl. And then perhaps our searching will at last come to an end. Markus drew a deep breath and crossed his fingers behind his back, brimming with a hope he hadn’t experienced in years.
~
Notes: I feel like my scenes are getting shorter and too undetailed. Any comments?
Last edited by Writersdomain on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ WD

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Mon May 28, 2007 5:36 am
Dark Lordess says...

:D

Lusien turned her head to glance at the guard entering through the door.

I thought this part made it sound like the guard came in the cell. I know what you're trying to say, but this sentence doesn't quite say it right.

It was almost empty, only a few commoners slumping along the walls or sprawled over the tables.

I think you need another word. Something like 'a few commoners were slumping' or 'with only a few' or 'a few commoners were slumped'.

When the innkeeper opened the door, Markus burst into the inn with Creiha at his side and rushed toward the innkeeper’s desk. Strick slipped in a few moments afterwards and closed the door behind him. Markus slammed his palms on the innkeeper’s desk and awakened the sleeping man.

I was a bit confused. If there's only one innkeeper you need to change this :P, but if there's two you should say 'when an innkeeper opened...'

This is amazing. Keep writing!
If you have to ask me why I write, you would never understand...

563 Reviews

Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:35 am
Writersdomain says...

Thank you so much, Dark Lordess. ^_^ Critique is appreciated.

I am very concerned about the pace of the action in this chapter, and before I start rewriting chapter 8, I need to know if anything in this chapter needs to be clarified. Even if you haven't read previous chapters, comments on pace and vocabulary are very welcomed. I don't mean to sound nagging, but I am very concerned about this chapter. :(
Last edited by Writersdomain on Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ WD

59 Reviews

Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:02 am
AWritersFantasy says...

Ha, I thought I had finished reading the last part of this chapter. Guess not. I only have a few things to point out, though they're not really anything with pacing, which I thought was good.

Markus laughed. “Or we could dig underneath the walls of Hiarnim, or pass ourselves off as the king!” He rested his head against he wall and looked up at the ceiling, breathing deeply.

Strick rolled his eyes.

Noticing Strick’s reaction, Markus grumbled, “You’re no fun.”

Haha, this was funny. I liked it. XD

We will see who you are truly are in Hiarnim, Arlondom girl. And then perhaps our searching will at last come to an end.

This is minor, but you forgot to italicize "and then perhaps our searching will at last come to an end."

Okay, so those things weren't helpful probably at all, but...yeah. I did like the end of this, though. I wanna read more! :D

You must believe in free will; there is no choice.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer