5 Years of Agony

by Ulysses

Poetry is a delicate form of expression it's art, you may notice.

it requires patience, knowledge, and wisdom from the start that's devoted.

Many are called but few are chosen, even less are noticed.

But I was called and chosen, but unlike most I truly know this...

...I know this dance of words and metaphors,

That I use to convey my feelings that my peers tend to ignore.

Therefore, I write this all solely for me, hoping one day possibly,

That this Prophecy from a Prodigy may tear down the walls within.

With that said I'll begin with where I've been...

The past 5 years of my life have been agonizing to say the least.

This past agony is continually stabbing me so very deep.

Flashback to reality, shall this be, another failed attempt at writing?

No how can it be? Does that mean my dream is never happening.

These cruel unusual strifes keep beating, battering,

Staggering my will until I barely have a thing.

So I'm panicking from trafficking, losing sleep and it's challenging,

Because I'm tackling these psychopathic thoughts that seem baffling.

Fact is that my sanity is balancing

on the edge of a ledge of a scaffolding,

And this mental war I'm always battling brings me dread,

So I'm abandoning the war because I believe it's best.

I feel a force of evil deep inside of me,

A voice that brings upheaval of a thought so frightening.

A noise, no a nightmare that's infinitely fighting me,

And the fury I'm intimately enduring is igniting me.

In truth I'm entirely exhausted, My nerves are shot I think I've nearly lost it.

I've got the mind state of a prisoner...better yet, a hostage.

And it makes me feel nauseous because I know that I am toxic,

But my feelings never show, so, instead they freely flow in me like a faucet.

So I'm on my guard and always cautious because I can't afford to be obnoxious,

And I'm constantly remaining conscious of my words because their colossus.

Every bit of truth you may seek, I speak, I could never be thoughtless.

But even then, in the end, it's a sin, to be so pompous.

And it's not my fault I'm always on this,

no contest, no protest, I'm the best, I confess.

Just listen invest in this message impressive,

you know I've been blessed with poetic successes.

Midnightmoon says...

Very nice! It tells the truth without being depressing. In a way, it's inspiring. You are telling about something that happened to you, and it may help others as well. The beginning is a tiny bit tedious, but otherwise it is very good. Keep it up!

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:11 am
LadyShadows wrote a review...

Hello Ulysses! LadyShadows here to review!

I liked this poem. It was emotional, deep, and very real. It shows the message on how it is to be suffering. From anything, including drugs. I liked how the poem wasn't too choppy and seemed to have at least a nice flow. It also had a nice length to it. I noticed some problems though. From another reviewer that they said that they were confused when you capitalized 'prophecy' and 'prodigy'...I am too. Is there a message of sorts that you were trying to get across? If that was so, maybe italicizing those words would have been a better choice. However, there are other things I spotted:

'it requires patience, knowledge, and wisdom from the start that's devoted.'

'It' needed to be capitalized, as I noticed that this was in the beginning of a new sentence. It would also keep the flow and consistency as the poem mostly starts with a capital letter.

'Poetry is a delicate form of expression it's art, you may notice.'

This was awkwardly phrased in my opinion. I feel like these three choices would be better:

1.) "Poetry is a delicate form of art, you notice."

2.) "Poetry is an expression of art, you may notice."

3.) "Poetry is a delicate form of expression in art, you may notice."

These three sound much better. Of course, I used my own style, but this may still be helpful. There are other things, but this now mainly involves wordiness. Avoid being too wordy. I did say it had flow, but some things were still an issue. I suggest reading it out loud as I told others I've previously reviewed. You will hear the awkwardness through the sound of your voice. Other than all this, keep writing! :)

Have a nice day!

Ulysses says...

Thanks a lot for the tips and love....Prophecy of a Prodigy is a recurring statement in my poetry and mainly my lyrics. It's just a phrase I started using to describe what I am and what I bring to the table. Thanks a lot

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:46 am
DrLavender wrote a review...

Hi Ulysses! I hope you're well! Came here to do a quick review for you! Hope you'll find my notes to be of help. Here goes!

Perhaps add "in" between "expression" and "art"? This line sounds a bit awkward without it.

I'd recommend on capitalizing "it". It would show consistency, as I notice many of your other lines begin with a capital letter.

To avoid word repetition, perhaps change "that" between "feelings" and "my" to "which"? I feel it would let this line flow better.

A great line! But confused why you capitalized "Prophecy" and "Prodigy". Is there a message you're trying to convey in doing that?

I feel this is a bit wordy. I'd recommend of saying "are" instead of "have been".

This line works fine as it is, but what if instead of saying "at writing?" you said "to write?" I feel like it would flow a bit better.

It sounds like you're asking a question instead of a statement with the word choice, so I'd change the period at the end to a question mark.

Fact is that my sanity is balancing

You can omit "that", and the line will keep its intended meaning.

Capitalize "on" to keep consistency!

You can omit "that's" and the line will flow a lot better! At least from my perspective.

I would recommend on lowercasing "My". It's not beginning a new line, nor is it a proper noun.

I promise I don't hate the word "that", but you don't need it here either. Interestingly enough, as my English teacher once told me, the word "that" is often redundant. This line for instance will still keep its original meaning, and even a flow a lot better in my opinion if you remove it.

Caps!

A comma between "listen" and "invest" would be my suggestion.

Caps!

Alright! And so we've reached the end! I actually really enjoyed this, and you invoked emotion which was fantastic! I'm in honest awe at your strength and how you've been able to overcome your struggles and been able to create a beautiful piece. The fact you're using poetry as a release is spectacular! And you're great at it too! I apologize if I seem nit picky, I just want to help you improve to be the best you possibly can. Thanks for posting this on here. I'll follow you, because I want to see more of your work!

Ulysses says...

I need nit picky I never had a teacher or a mentor I just had to figure out how to write on my own. Thank you for your review on my poetry. And Prophecy from a Prodigy is a line I used a lot when I rap.

Edna began to feel like one who awakens gradually out of a dream, a delicious, grotesque, impossible dream, to feel again the realities pressing into her soul.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening