Untitled

by Ulysses

30 years I've walked God's beautiful Earth.

Seen happiness, heartbreak, death and birth.

I've been the last, I've been the first,

I've been the best, I've been the worst.

I've watched evil men reap reward,

I've held the dying hand of the one I adored.

I once spread my wings and across the sky I soared,

One time I spoke to my peers, but I was ignored.

I've felt the betrayal of a friend that told a lie.

I've even heard the nail in the coffin when he said goodbye.

The evil of the world isn't new to my eye,

I've been around such evil the majority of my life.

Please Lord watch over those who have lost their way,

And touch the hearts of the ones who may never obey.

And for the ones who hurt and suffer, I continually pray,

That the Lord makes them tougher tomorrow than they are today.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:10 am
snippyfemme wrote a review...

Hello! Snippyfemme here to review!
Alright so I loved the theme of this poem. It's so nice and hopeful! However I did feel it was a tad cliche. I think this is in part due to the rhyming. Personally I just don't love rhyming. It tends to make things feel sing songy, but it also tends to restrict the writer. I can tell from this poem that you have a way with words, but forcing yourself to make three lines rhyme is very limiting. I suggest you try (if you haven't already) working with poetry that doesn't rhyme. I am very impressed that you were able to get each set of three lines to rhyme. That is no simple feat.
I think because of the rhyming you went for some simple choices to convey your meaning. For example the line, "spread my wings across the sky and I soared", is very nice but is also extremely overused in poetry and other writing forms. I think you could really do a lot with these ideas of hope if you stepped out of the box of these cliche limiting ideas of what is classically "pretty" in poetry.
One line that I do feel desperately needs to be improved in order to maintain the idea of your poem is "the ones who may never obey". This makes it sound like we must all live in the same sort of life in order to be happy or that anyone who doesn't hold the same values should be antagonized. Although this is surely not your intent, the use of the word "obey" gives this sort of connotation. Once again the pressure to rhyme seems to be limiting you.
I hope this helped you even a smidgen :) Keep writing!!!
-Snippyfemme

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:41 am
TheStormAroundMe wrote a review...

I loved the optimism in this post, and the request for the Lord's help to get through. Your rhyme scheme is great, although "life" doesn't quite work as a rhyme with "lie," "goodbye," and "eye."

Also, right here:

Maybe you would want to add a comma here, and make it more like this:
Please Lord, watch over...
or
Please, Lord, watch over...
so that the flow of the poem is cleared up.

My main critique would be that in poetry, it is often frowned upon to capitalize the first word of every single line in a poem. I do this all the time, but now I can see that it flows better if you capitalize based on sentences rather than line breaks.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:33 am
SilverBerry wrote a review...

Hey! Silverberry here to review! And first of all may I say that your poem is really touching and hopeful, even though you talked about the evil in people, and I really like that. I like that you incorporated the small prayer in the end because it's a really unique touch to a poem that I thought was about the hardships of life, which it was, but having the lighter and more hopeful end made it better. Writing-wise, I love poems that rhyme and you don't seem to be too confined-as in the rhyme didn't seem too forced, which is good! There are some small edits I would suggest making though.

These lines are a little awkward and break the really nice flow you had going, it's good that the rhymes still don't feel forced, but the rhymes are a little too wordy, if you know what I mean. I would suggest changing "across" in the first of these lines to through or some other one syllable word, and take out the I before soared-it may seem a little strange, but since it's a poem you don't have to write it all out. I would also take out the "I" before "was ignored" in the next sentence for the same reason. Perhaps you could change "one time" to "once" and have repetition for these rhyming lines? I could see why you may not want to use the same word twice. Anyways, I'd suggest just tweaking these lines so that they flow smooth.

I don't understand why these two lines don't rhyme? I get that this is the transition to the prayer, but I think you can make these two lines (which, by the way, are good lines meaning-wise) unique in a different way and still make them rhyme so that they don't stand out awkwardly. Then again, this is just how I see them, but if you have a purpose for this then that's fine.

Speaking of the transition, I'd suggest separating the prayer from the rest of the poem, and that way the last two lines I have just been talking about will be even more special, and the prayer will draw more attention and be more dramatic, for it seems as if your tone is changing.

Anyways, wonderful poem, other than some technical flaws, I think you did really well and your writing style is very casual and your meaning is clear. I especially love the last line, for you're praying for the wellbeing of the everyone. I like the high note it leaves on! I hope I at least helped a little, and keep writing!

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:25 am
LadyShadows wrote a review...

Hello there! LadyShadows here to review!

I have read and reviewed the other poem '5 years of agony' and needless to say, you are not a bad writer. You need to improve, but you are not bad. In fact, This is my favorite! It was not too short and not too long, and the poem had excellent rhyming. Very deep and spiritual, I can safely say as well, and the poem stays straight to the point it's trying to make. It also had wonderful flow. But I do see at least two problems here.

'I've been around such evil the majority of my life.'

You have rhymed each and every word except for this. Every line had a rhyming word at the end, and this is what majorly screwed up the flow. You must keep things consistent in poems. While poems can bend and break the laws of grammar, one rule that poetry does go by is the fact that once something was started, it must be ended. So if you rhymed in the beginning, it must be rhyming by the end. Remember this.

Secondly, do not capitalize every line if the sentence had not ended. This is what I saw:

'I once spread my wings and across the sky I soared,

One time I spoke to my peers, but I was ignored.'

The 'O' in 'one' should not be capitalized because this was still an ongoing sentence by the time a new line was started.

Thirdly and lastly I should suggest that in this same phrase, you put a semicolon(;) next to the word 'soared'

This is all for now! Have a nice day Ulysses! Keep Writing!

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:38 am
RedHoodWriter wrote a review...

Hey RedHood here!
I just want to start off by saying that you did a wonderful job with this poem.
Something that I would suggest is to maybe put in some lines that also shed some positive light on things that the narrator has seen. This way it has a bigger contrast between the good and the bad parts of life. If you need help with a title I would recommend something like All I Have. This is because you repeated I've a lot in the poem and it could help tie it all together.

with the line "I've been around such evil the majority of my life" I feel like there should be a line after it that would make the pattern that you have set up through out the rest of the poem.

If you wanted to keep more of a negative light on the things mentioned in the poem may I suggest maybe adding more detail into what exactly you saw as evil. This way it helps set up the tone a little more.

I hope this helps! And good luck on your future writing!
RedHoodWriter

Ulysses says...

Thanks a lot red hood I'll take this back to the drawing board and apply what you've said. You're right the sudden transition from negative to the prayer seems misproportioned

Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle