z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

In the wrong world

by TheBlueCat


I sit next to my girlfriend, Lydia, and try to not hit her elaborate jewelry. She wonders why I don't hug her anymore. But her father gave her iron jewelry for her birthday and she wears it all the time.

Why didn't her father just tell her I'm a Fae? She'd probably break up with me then anyway. If he knows, then why the elaborate games trying to keep me away from her?

Just last week he gave her a perfume made from cherry blossoms and a hint of ghost grass from the opposite side of my homeland. I convinced her that I was allergic to one of the other ingredients, and she agreed to not wear it around me. Good thing too, or I might have suffocated.

I love her, but I've had to keep being a Fae a secret, as this other world doesn't accept us. If only her father wasn't a magic hunter, she might have not gained his prejudices and came with me to my homeland. She could have learned how to be a magic user, and we could have been happy, but I can no longer think of any way to convince her otherwise of the Fae. But maybe...

I turn towards her. "Lydia?"

She doesn't glance away from the T.V. "What, Mason?"

I take a deep breath. "What would you do if I told you I was a Fae?"


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 97
Reviews: 103

Donate
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 am
View Likes
Samhain says...



Ooh I like this! This could totally be made into like a teen fantasy romance novel. This is quite short, but it definitely is a really cool spark to start a bigger story. Sometimes big stories have tiny beginnings. You should totally turn this into a book!




User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:15 pm
View Likes
SnowyRain says...



Nice idea! Short but pleasant.




User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 36
Reviews: 57

Donate
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:35 am
IvoryRose says...



Btw also got a fae story of you’re interested. *cough cough self-promotion, cough cough I just want someone to read my work embrassed cough*




User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 36
Reviews: 57

Donate
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:34 am
View Likes
IvoryRose wrote a review...



Oh my god I love fae. Aye it’s a wild IvoryRose with a snazzy review. The premise is interesting and I could definitely read a sequel or series. My issue is that it feels incomplete, that you need more. I’m convinced of Mason’s love for Lydia and he has charisma so character wise good job, but the world feels incomplete. I was kind of hoping to see Lydia’s reaction. I don’t know I feel like it’s a wasted novel idea, that it could go beyond short story. If you don’t want to that’s fine because it’s really good and if it leaves the reader wanting more trust me that a compliment. Overall, great job!




TheBlueCat says...


Thanks for your thoughts!



User avatar
616 Reviews


Points: 122617
Reviews: 616

Donate
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:31 am
View Likes
FlamingPhoenix wrote a review...



Hi @Shikora here to give a review.

First I loved this short story it was really good. I liked how you gave a lot of detail on how Mason is feeling, and it was a really good length.

Okay down to the Review.

I do still think this could have a little more in it though. Like some description. There is one place that i think could really do with it.

1) I turn towards her. "Lydia?"

She doesn't glance away from the T.V. "What, Mason?"

I take a deep breath. "What would you do if I told you I was a Fae?"

Between these three sentences i think you could add a little more. Sorry if i'm coming a cross as mean. Anyway this is how I would write it.

I turn towards her. Her deep, green eyes glued to the T.V., and her hands neatly placed on her lap. Taking a deep breath I ask, "Lydia?"

She doesn't glance away from the T.V. "What, Mason?"

I take a deep breath feeling the sweet run down my face. "What would you do if I told you I was a Fae?"

I no it doesn't look like much but it makes a big difference.

If it's not to much to ask I would like you to describe his homeland. I don't really get a good image in my dead when you talk of it, just a little more information would be nice. But over all I loved your story. I hope you keep on writing and have a good day.

@Shikora




TheBlueCat says...


Thanks for the thoughts!





Your welcome.





Your welcome.



User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 548
Reviews: 57

Donate
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:32 pm
View Likes
1nspire wrote a review...



This is a good start to build on. I really like the way the narrator's personality shows through. The concept is cool, although forbidden romance is a very commonly use topic for writing.

I think it's interesting how the girl's father doesn't tell his daughter what Mason is, but as you said, "plays games" to keep him away. I wonder if he does this not because he wants them to break up, but so Mason will be forced to tell Lydia the truth.

I would suggest that rather than revealing what the narrator is from the beginning, you wait until the last line. This might add an element of suspense to help keep the reader intrigued. Instead of saying "Why didn't I just tell her I'm a Fae?" I would just say "Why didn't I just tell her about me?"

I like the cliffhanger at the end, and I hope you'll continue to add to the story. I hope these suggestions helped!




TheBlueCat says...


I'm glad you enjoyed! This was originally from a prompt I found which happenes to be the second paragraph, and I just built a story around that. I don't think I'll continue it mostly because it was meant to be this short and no more, but thanks for the thoughts! c:




Change isn't inherently good, but you can't stop it, so let's just enjoy the ride. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— TheSilverFox