z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Forgotten

by ThatBeeGirl


I’ve made friends with the shadows,
With their unmocking words, their silent gaze,
With the loneliness that oozes from their mangled forms on buildings, roads, walls.

We speak the same foreign language,
We play well together,
Or rather, our skeletons and invisible backbones play well together.

They are my only constant companions,
I’m living with ghosts,
And these are the most cherished of the bunch.

Those of my hopes and dreams,
Friends and family lost,
I’d rather forget than have to forgive.

I will not falter under the weight of the forged sins you’ve placed on my shoulders,
It appears that the bones have been broken and mended so many times, too many times,
They will not let me down, again.

It once appeared that the blackness in your heart,
Complimented the emptiness in mine,
Until you left too, and now I have no one else to compare myself against.

Some say it’s easier to remain forgotten,
Like a sweet memory no one seems to remember, or a nightmare that woke you from your fevered sleep,
But it’s lonely here, and for once, can I just be someone’s first choice?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 1279
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:58 pm
Cynder wrote a review...



Hey Cynder here. Not that you'd like a review, but I have some thoughts, if you don't mind. This was pretty well written for a poem. Most authors mess up so much you can't even really tell what they're talking about. That includes me. So props to you, and now I'll critique.

I think you had an idea for the first two lines, and it just sounded sooo good, you absolutely had to write it down. Then you thought, "Hey, this would be a good poem." So you wrote one. Here's my point, the first part was great, it was fantastic even. Then you lost the groove. Which happens. You had the perfect amount of simplicity and show rather than tell, and then the middle was all tell.

At the end, you went into your own head, and the translation was lost. As a reader, the end just doesn't flow. Put your emotion into your work, yes, but keep the sense factor so that you don't lose your readers. That is a life skill in writing, and very hard to master. However, you'll find that when you do master it, you'll be happier than you've ever been. Now that I've spoken in riddles let's see if I can talk sense.

We speak the same foreign language,
We play well together,
Or rather, our skeletons and invisible backbones play well together.

This is somewhat odd. Maybe you're letting your quirky personality come through and that's fine in that case, but that kinda disappears at the end, with no real transition. You used the phrase "play well together," twice in a row, and I think in this case it doesn't really work. Take the time and nitpick your work. One paragraph at a time.

Don't touch the first one though. I disagree with the other reviewer, I think that it makes it more poetic rather than storytelling. Which is another thing; decide whether you want your peom to be very intuitive and shady, so that the readers just feel everything, or whether you want it to be a journal entry.

In any case, good job friend. Let me know if ya want any help. Cynder out ~




Random avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 8

Donate
Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:13 am
View Likes
Ikrantsyip wrote a review...



my little itty bitty note is this:

the third line of the first paragraph
"With the loneliness that oozes from their mangled forms on buildings, roads, walls."
it should be:
"With the loneliness that oozes from their mangled forms on buildings, roads and walls."

I don't know much about grammar, though I've read from other reviews there are issues. so apart from that.

good work.
kudos.

keep writing




User avatar
1125 Reviews


Points: 53415
Reviews: 1125

Donate
Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:51 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas wrote a review...



Hey Bee! Stella here.

Wow, you have some really powerful and unusual images peppering this poem! I found myself reading through it just to see what the next image that struck home would be. I loved your description of the shadows- how their forms are mangled as they're pressed up against different surfaces, I thought that was really clever.

While your imagery really blew me away though, I thought that the whole poem felt a little bit disjointed. I mean you start by talking about the shadows and then nearer the end, we seem to be talking about something totally different. And sometimes that's good in a poem - because of course, in poetry, people are rarely talking about what they appear to be talking about on the surface. But I couldn't really follow the thread of the poem the whole way through here - it jumps to talking in abstract 'you' to a very individual 'you', and then ends on a much more sombre note than it began. Altogether I just thought that the whole thing needed to be a little bit more thematically cohesive for it to make sense the way it should.

There were a few lines which, grammatically, didn't make any sense to me, in particular these:

And these are the most cherished of the bunch.

---

Those of my hopes and dreams,



I had to read these two lines four or five times and even then I was still a bit stuck on what they were supposed to mean.

You obviously have a good eye for unique imagery, and I think that will serve you well! But I think for this poem, and for future poems, you really need to think about what you are trying to get that imagery to say, and let it tell a simpler story.

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x





Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
— Plato