The Broken -- TC -- Chapter Three

by Sureal

(Chapter One)

(Chapter Two)

------------------

Leo.

The truck rocked with motion as it drove along. Leo sat in the back, dressed in the grey fatigues the soldiers had given him. It was dark inside, even with the lights switched on. The poor lighting gave the vehicle a gloomy feeling, one that Leo didn’t necessarily agree with. He was alive, and the soldiers had said they’d help him. This was a notable step-up in conditions from twenty minutes ago, when he had been expecting to be shot. His current non-naked status also gave him cause to celebrate.

Two metal benches ran down each side of the truck’s interior. Leo was sat on one and two soldiers were sat on the other. Private Rasoon and Private Jaffe. Rasoon wore a scowl, whilst Jaffe’s face seemed to be almost permanently neutral. Leo had been staring across at them, and they at him, for the full five or so minutes they’d been in the truck together, but so far no one had said anything. It was an awkward silence, but one that didn’t bother Leo. Let them feel awkward. It was a small revenge for being shot at by one of their comrades.

Jaffe began humming a tune to himself. The sound was almost drowned out by the growl of the truck’s engine, which was loud even in the back. Leo idly wondered if it was meant to be that noisy.

‘Damnit guys, someone say something,’ Jaffe said eventually. ‘You, kid: how are you feeling?’

Lost and alone, Leo thought. ‘I’m just fine,’ he said.

‘“Just fine,”’ Jaffe repeated. ‘I wouldn’t be in your place. I’d be crapping myself, I really would.’

Leo looked at him. ‘Thanks for reassuring me,’ he said. He hoped the sarcasm would deter any further attempts at conversation.

The soldier continued anyway. ‘I mean, you’re going to be okay. It’s just that, in your position, I wouldn’t be coping as well as you. You really do have some balls.’

‘Yes,’ Leo said, ‘you saw them.’

Rasoon sniggered.

‘See?’ Jaffe said. ‘You can even make jokes and stuff. Man.’

Leo looked at him. ‘Right. Whatever. I think you might be overplaying this a little.’

Jaffe shook his head, defiant. ‘No, no I’m not.’

‘Yes, you are,’ disagreed Rasoon.

‘Well, maybe a little. But that’s just because he’s - well, you know.’

Leo didn’t know. He looked from Jaffe to Rasoon, whose scowl still hadn’t left his face. ‘Because of what?’ Leo asked.

Rasoon said, ‘Ever since he saw you naked he hasn’t been able to stop thinking about you. Poor kid.’

‘No, that’s not it,’ Jaffe said.

‘Hey, I don’t blame you. If I saw me naked, I’d have the hots for me too,’ Leo said, with a humour he didn’t feel. ‘It’s inevitable. I’m just that good looking.’

‘The kid is brave after all,’ Rasoon said.

‘Yeah, shut up,’ Jaffe sniffed.

The truck bumped and rumbled its way along. The jolts weren’t doing Leo any favours, nor was the unpadded metal bench. He shifted into a more comfortable position. ‘Okay, so how long until we get to wherever it is we’re going?’

‘It shouldn’t be more than another five minutes until we to get to the Fort,’ Jaffe said.

‘Idiot,’ Rasoon growled. ‘You weren’t meant to tell him anything.’

‘What? What did I tell him?’

‘You just told him were we’re going.’

‘Hey, he’ll be there in five minutes,’ Jaffe said. ‘It’s nothing. It doesn’t matter if he finds out now.’

‘Yeah,’ Leo agreed, ‘it’s nothing.’

Rasoon’s scowl deepened. ‘That’s not the point. You disobeyed your orders.’

Jaffe apparently had nothing to say to that. He frowned, but didn’t say anything. Rasoon relaxed back again. No one said anything for a while.

Then Jaffe said, ‘Well, “anything” is a very broad subject. What are we allowed to talk about in front of him?’

‘Nothing,’ said Rasoon. ‘Nothing. Just shut up and be quiet.’

‘But-’

Rasoon’s closed his eyes and put his fingers to his temples. ‘Just shut up,’ he growled. ‘Just shut up, or I swear to Hell I’ll rip your tongue out.’

Jaffe looked almost shocked for a moment, and then leant back, arms crossed, his initial neutral expression again pasted on his face. He made no effort to reply, only stared fixedly ahead.

‘Well,’ Leo decided to say, ‘that wasn’t very nice.’

True to Jaffe’s word, around five minutes later the truck slowed to a halt. Rasoon opened the door and led Leo out, Jaffe trailing behind them. Even though they had only been in there barely for ten minutes, they emerged from the back of the vehicle like long-term prisoners from a dungeon, shrinking from the light.

Jaffe had described their destination as a fort, and Leo could kind of see how that was so. A granite wall rose nearby, its featureless face twice as tall as Leo. He could see a lone soldier walking atop it.

They appeared to be in a parking area. There were many other identical trucks parked there too, rows and rows of them. As Leo clambered out, he could see two buildings, both of them tall and long and beige. Only one of them had windows that he could see, but the glare of the sun prevented him from seeing into them.

Waiting to meet them was a lone solider. He stood tall in the sunny weather, but seemed altogether out of place in it. His stern, almost skeletal appearance had no right to exist so painlessly in the sun. ‘Good day, young man. Welcome to Fort Euphra.’ The man held out his hand to Leo. ‘I am Lieutenant-Colonel Haart.’

Leo shook the Lieutenant-Colonel’s hand once he was fully out the truck. ‘Leo Thornton.’

‘Very good,’ the officer intoned. ‘I hope you’ve been treated well by my men?’

‘I was getting on with them all fine and dandy until one of them, you know, shot at me.’

The Lieutenant-Colonel frowned. ‘Of course, I’d heard about that. You have my sincerest apologises for the incident.’

‘Hey, no worries,’ Leo said.

‘So,’ the Lieutenant-Colonel said, his eyes peering intently at Leo, ‘you’re okay?’

‘I’m just fine.’

‘Not scared? Not in shock?’ The Lieutenant Colonel raised his eyebrows. ‘Not even unsettled?’

‘No.’ Leo frowned. ‘Well, I wasn’t. Should I be?’

The Lieutenant-Colonel smiled. The expression only made his face look even more skull-like. ‘No, not at all. It’s good that you’re okay.’ The smiled disappeared as fast as it had appeared. ‘And I’d also like to say that the solider that shot at you will be attending a court-martial for his actions.’

‘Great,’ Leo said. ‘Good to know. Awesome. But, what happens now?’

‘If you’ll just follow me, I’ll see if we can’t find a room for you to stay in.’ The Lieutenant-Colonel began to turn away, but stopped when he saw that Leo made no move to follow him.

‘A room? I don’t need a room,’ Leo said. ‘I just need to get back home.’ He had assumed that the soldiers would contact his parents so they could come pick him up. Being given a room meant that the Lieutenant-Colonel was expecting Leo to be staying at the Fort for a while, perhaps even for several days, an idea that he didn’t like.

‘Things aren’t that simple, I’m afraid,’ the Lieutenant-Colonel said.

‘Sure they are: I give you my phone number, you ring my parents, and they come pick me up. Simple.’

‘Mister Thornton, you were found in a restricted military area. We need to ask you some questions and undertake a full investigation into the matter.’

Leo raised both his hands in a careless shrug. ‘So ask me. I’ll tell you right here and now whatever you like.’

‘Not here.’ The Lieutenant-Colonel frowned. ‘In my office, then. Come on, follow me.’ He spun on his heel and marched away, this time not waiting to see if Leo would follow him.

‘Sir?’ called out Jaffe. ‘Sir, what do we do?’

The Lieutenant-Colonel didn’t look back as he answered. ‘Find a bunk each and wait. I’ll issue you both fresh orders soon.’

‘Great,’ Jaffe muttered. He looked at Leo. ‘Are you going to follow him or what?’

Leo turned, and followed the Lieutenant-Colonel’s footsteps. ‘Apparently so,’ he said to himself. He didn’t run, but he had to walk at a fast pace to make up the distance between himself and the officer.

The Lieutenant-Colonel was walking towards one of the buildings. Leo caught up with him as he reached the door. It slid open automatically as they approached. ‘This way, Mister Thornton,’ the Lieutenant-Colonel said, glancing at Leo.

‘Great,’ said Leo.

They were in a long, curving corridor. The complete lack of windows and the dull, artificial lights running across the ceiling created the impression that there were actually underground, with the crushing weight of the world above their heads.

The Lieutenant-Colonel led the way, turning left and striding down the corridor. Along the right-hand wall were numbered doors, all closed. They didn’t meet anyone, although one of the doors they passed had stifled music leaking from beyond it.

Their footsteps echoed in the corridor as they walked. Around the next bend, the corridor ended and was replaced by another door. The Lieutenant-Colonel led Leo through it, and suddenly they had left behind the gloominess of the corridor.

------------------

Author Notes:

-- Chapter Three, as posted here, is only half of the actual Chapter Three. The entire thing is too long to post up in one go. I’ll post up the second half later as Chapter Four.

-- The ending is so abrupt because it’s only the first half of the actual chapter. There’s an undue amount of emphasis placed on the last line that really shouldn’t be there.

-- As with the first two chapters, the above is only a first draft. It'll be edited quite heavily once I've finished the entire first draft. Of course, I'll refer back to any suggestions you give when it comes to editing this.

-- In particular, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the dialogue. (It’s awful, I know. Any suggestions?) But as always, all advice, suggestions and thoughts are equally welcome. =)

------------------

Chapter Four.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:03 pm
Firestarter wrote a review...

Not too much of a review here -- I'd just reiterate what others were saying. The dialogue is forced, and the interaction between Leo and the soldiers doesn't work that well. Solid writing as always, but like Jiggs, I'd like to see some more snapshots of how the world is different. I liked how the soldiers almost revealed the big secret to Leo. It intrigued me. I'm with Blink on the use of description -- this is a first draft so it's forgiveable to want to get the story down and not focus too much on the description itself -- but hopefully when you edit you can include some nice imagery.

Anyway, just to let you know I'm still reading on.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:41 am
Sureal says...

O.o - I tells ya. this is a case of you, the writer, recognising that the soldier is overplaying this. In fact, that whole line is you, talking to yourself. Because you are, in fact, overplaying it. Which is kind of ironic :p It's not something someone would say in this instance. 'Leo shifted awkwardly, uncomfortable beneath the praise' or something of that nature, would easily convey his unease. It was also an attempt by you, I think, to draw out the conversation - the more the soldier overplays it, the more there is to talk about, argue over, etc.

:shock: Get out of my head!

(Haha, you're absolutely spot on here, every word is right.)

Thanks for the review. =)

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:27 am
Jiggity wrote a review...

The poor lighting gave the vehicle a gloomy feeling, one that Leo didn’t necessarily agree with.

This sentence tripped me, then stepped on my face repeatedly. XD I don't even know what that means actually, but it sounded appropriate. Ahem. It sounded, initially at least, like Leo was disagreeing with you - the writer's - description of the vehicle. Which, mind you shouldn't even be possible, because to all intents and purposes, it is Leo who is narrating the story - thus, the gloomy feeling given by the poor lighting would have to have been felt by him. How can he disagree with his own feelings? Tis odd, no? Numerous ways to adjust it, but none of them quite fit, so I'm going to leave that to you.

This bugged me, a little. Not the dialogue in and of itself, but the fact that the soldier spoke first. On the one hand we have a teenager, who has woken up in a strange forest, naked, been shot at and manhandled by soldiers and on the other, we have two, professional soldiers in a restricted, military area (so not just the average joe's). In this scenario, who do you think would realistically break the silence first? Who is it that needs information more?

I just find it hard to believe it would be the soldiers - unless, of course, they're fairly young, new soldiers and if they are, kindly let us know. Also, one would think they would have orders not to speak to him; now, they can disregard them easily enough, but let us know in an off-hand manner that they're, or at least one of them is, known for not giving a stuff. Especially if they've heard rumours or know for sure, that he's one of the Broken. In which case, there would be cause for the kind of curiousity that makes men disregard orders and discipline. In which case also, there would be cause for not a little resentment too. Herald of War and all that. [possible reason for unknown soldier to have fired upon Leo?]

[on a side note: read 'Gardens of the Moon' by Steven Erikson; fantasy novel/series told almost entirely from the viewpoints of soldiers, with hilarious dialogue]

NB: Little, emphatic dialogue is much better than lots of useless dialogue. Less is more; quality over quantity.

Just shut up, or I swear [s]to Hell[/s] I’ll rip your tongue out.’

Much neater without that icky 'to hell' cluttering it up.

‘You just told him were we’re going.’

where

*

Alternate worlds, no matter how similar, are 'alternate' for a reason. It's been three chapters now and we've yet to notice even one difference. It could be in the smallest detail. But it must be there. Something, anything, to let us know that they are not simply in another country/timezone/park/forest etc.

Nice stuff.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:07 pm
Sureal says...

Blink:

Woah, epic review indeed. 8) You da man, man.

You need to post a story sometime, cos I'm starting to feel guilty about getting all these awesome reviews from you and having nothing to give back. =(

Griffinkeeper:

Thanks also. ^_^ I agree, my dialogue is horribly forced. I need try to fix that in the edit and in future chapters.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:35 am
Griffinkeeper wrote a review...

Some sentences that bothered me:

The poor lighting gave the vehicle a gloomy feeling, one that Leo didn’t necessarily agree with. He was alive, and the soldiers had said they’d help him. This was a [s]notable[/s] step-up in conditions from twenty minutes ago, when he had been expecting to be shot. His current non-naked status also gave him cause to celebrate.

The first sentence is awkward because people don't usually 'agree' or 'disagree' with feelings. Most people don't debate with respect to feelings. Notable doesn't really add anything to the sentence. Also, "non-naked status" is really awkward. People generally think of themselves as either clothed or unclothed. They don't think of themselves as naked and non-naked.

Now to the dialogue.

A lot of the dialogue seems forced. The dialogue in the vehicle for instance. If they have captured a prisoner, they probably want to pay close attention to the prisoner in order to make sure he doesn't escape. That means not engaging in conversation with the prisoner.

So, when you forced them to converse, it all seemed out of place.

Speaking of out of place, there is the small matter about the Lt. Colonel.

I don't know if you knew this, but Lt. Colonels are pretty important people. They are in charge of battalions. One battalion has roughly 700 men in it. They don't spend time welcoming prisoners.

I think the Lt. Colonel should stay in his office, working. The soldiers can escort Leo to his office, where they can talk privately. If it is important, the Lt. Colonel will spend less time on the usual niceties and get to the heavy stuff.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:50 pm
Blink wrote a review...

'Tis back! And be epic I shall. :wink:

Just the nitpicks first:

It was dark inside, even with the lights switched on.
Right now, I don't know if it's because the vehicle simply has no windows, or because it's nightfall or they're travelling through a dense rainforest. Either way, a word or too would be helpful.

Leo was sat on one and two soldiers were sat on the other. Private Rasoon and Private Jaffe.
Would a colon work better than that first full stop? I'm all for fragments (FTW) but they seem a little lonely when such an easy edit would join them together.

It was an awkward silence, but one that didn’t bother Leo. Let them feel awkward.
It's a slight viewpoint change here. This part's written from Leo's, so he shouldn't know whether they feel awkward. HINT: Perhaps he could tell from how they couldn't look at him.

The sound was almost drowned out by the growl of the truck’s engine, which was loud even in the back.
... Where the engine probably is?

‘Damnit guys, someone say something,’ Jaffe said eventually.
Something other than said + adverb would work better. Did he exclaim it? Or finally splutter out? This suggestion goes with 'eventually' being too many syllables for my liking, also.

‘You, kid: how are you feeling?’
I'll come back to dialogue a bit later on, but the last phrase is too robotic and in-your-face. Who actually says that anyway? "How are you?" or "What ya thinking?" could reflect his character a bit better, or give something you're more likely to hear.

‘“Just fine,”’ Jaffe repeated.
Seems too out of place. Would you repeat something another said? I tend to hear it more when a character says his own dialogue twice. Something more scorning like 'mocked' could be a good replacement.

It’s just that, in your position, I wouldn’t be coping [s]as well as you[/s].
A bit of annoying repetition. Something simpler like: 'I wouldn't be coping so well.' might play its part better. Besides, do we know he's 'coping so well'? Sure, there's the bit where he feels lost and alone, and says something else to the soldiers, but in the narrative I'd recommend actually pointing out that he's trying to push aside his emotions in forcing himself to believe that he'll picked up from wherever he's going. On that note, does he wonder where's he going?

‘Yes,’ Leo said, ‘you saw them.’
Just lol.

‘Hey, he’ll be there in five minutes,’ Jaffe said.
We'll fits better. Are they are not going too?

He frowned, but didn’t say anything. Rasoon relaxed back again. No one said anything for a while.
Whether the repetition was intended or not, it doesn't work. If you want it to be effective, cut out the middle sentence or better still, cut off the 'but didn't say anything'. Simply by not writing any dialogue for him, we know that he didn't say anything.

Rasoon’s closed his eyes
Is there a reason his closing his eyes is possessive? :wink:

back of the vehicle like [s]long-term[/s] prisoners from a dungeon, shrinking from the light.
Nice simile, but the long-term kills it. It's hard to imagine short-term prisoners, and besides, it adds clutter.

‘Of course, I’d heard about that.
I've.

The smiled disappeared as fast as it had appeared.
That's either 'smile' or 'smile had'. Either way, how fast did it appear in the first place? *picky*

He had assumed that the soldiers would contact his parents so they could come pick him up.
I'm assuming the fact that he is at a fort with soldiers and a miserable colonel doesn't make him think?

Leo turned, and followed the Lieutenant-Colonel’s footsteps.

Really, it's like Simon Says. The last 'followed' could be changed to something nice like 'did just that'.

‘Apparently so,’ he said to himself.
I think it's unnecessary; don't force-feed us.

the ceiling created the impression that there were actually underground
Because normal buildings have no ceilings. :wink: Don't worry, I get what you're saying, but would he have not noticed that he was under ground when he descended a load of steps, or better still, when he enters the fort!

with the crushing weight of the world above their heads.
I love that =P

Are they, by any chance, in a corridor? The first one's fine, but to eliminate the second just use 'it' and the final might have the entire last sentence rewritten to suit, and for more effect. How about: The Lieutenant-Colonel led Leo through it, and suddenly the gloominess was behind them. Not as forced, not too much emphasis. On the same accord, don't worry about having strong lines halfway through a chapter--you can have important transitions wherever you like.

-----------------------------------

I always spend far too long on nitpicks, and the irony is, the more pointed out the more likely you are rewrite the entire passage anyway :wink: Now, you wanted to get feedback on...

DIALOGUE

Before I go onto specific examples any my advice for you, I'm going to go general. Think: Sureal is Leo. Yes, you are Leo. Don't worry about Mary-Sewage, since characters are a part of you anyway. What would you say in a conversation? If it helps, talk to yourself, or rather, to a mirror, in which you are Sureal and the reflection is Leo. It can even be as simple as engaging in activities such as script-writing, to build up your skills between two people conversing. Try being your soldiers and getting across the emotions; make Leo weep, or hate, enraged, all through the power of saying things that don't sound too robotic. If all that sounds too corny and generic (like I predicted) then just think about what the characters are actually saying.

Make the conversation in the van longer, drag it out, and give it a topic. There's no overlying discussion as far as I can see, just a few lines, some intended for excessive humour (which work, and are funny, honestly!) but are too clearly just added at a spur of the moment. Maybe Leo and the colonel are talking on the way into the underground? Aside this, don’t rely on the old ‘where am I going, when, why, how, it’s a secret’ etc, that most characters in most books say.

A lot of what you have already written is great, but it lacks that freedom and it's not awful. Dialogue always reflects characters and it includes simple things like your commas and contractions. It's never just about dialogue either. Revert back to your narrative, see if the mood is captured correctly then fit it against the dialogue.

Moreover, it's essential with dialogue that you spend no longer than 0 seconds thinking about a word when you write. Otherwise, it'll be the wrong one and feel forced. Dare I say it; you might even pick up a thesaurus. The point? It’s essential not to force dialogue. Let’s look at the good, the bad and the ugly:

THE GOOD

It reflects Jaffe. I can gather from this that he’s kind of lacking intelligence and social skills, no? That’s the good; reflects his character and the situation too. Also how he reacts to humour he doesn’t have.

THE BAD

It’s nothing major; your dialogue’s generally fine really. In fact, I struggled to fine something downright bad, but really, it states the obvious. If you got rid of the last sentence, although Jaffe questions it later on, if Rasoon just explains ‘Idiot!’, then I can tell from this that he wasn’t meant to tell him anything, no?

THE UGLY

It’s ugly, because the idea’s nice and humorous but it’s all shaped wrong. It’s too bushy and needs some sunlight. What’s necessary and what isn’t can choose how this goes. It’s robotic too, and Leo isn’t an android… is he? I think this could work better:

‘Hey, if I saw me naked, I’d have the hots for me too,’ Leo forced with a humour he didn’t feel. ‘It’s inevitable; I’m too good looking.’

I hope my rant has been of some good use, but right now, I need food. Without being too patronising, if you have any questions just ask since I’m a good rambler against my will.

Overall: Not a lot of action, but a good chapter start. Not every page needs a bomb exploding, I suppose, but also remember to focus on the senses. I great description of the wall would be awesome, not that it has to be a checklist of all the senses, or anything :wink:

--Binky Goodness

It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.
— Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity