I am my own Wife.

by Willard

Your father is a Nazi,
militaristic and brutal.
When the sun rises,
it highlights your bruises.

I can see it on your shins,
your arms, and your face.
Flushed like a condom,
or something just like that.

It's a cause and effect situation;
"late night walks"
usually results in
shoving and arguing.

I can see your head down
in that Vonnegut book;
groan after groan
echoes throughout the room.

cantheclockstop?
canijustdie?
cantheworldjuststall?
canNorthKoreabombusalready?

Too bad you can't locate
Korea on a map, but you can
show us all your angst
and disappointment in yourself.

Pray to God all you want,
you'll still be depressed.
Breathe in, breathe out,
breathe in, then hold it.

The world is a plethora of problems,
a swimming pool of nails and feces.
There's no answers, sadly,
but there's always optimism.

No one hates you, darling,
it's a slight disliking
but in a loving sort of way.

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:44 am
Elijah wrote a review...

Flushed like a condom,

oh...dear XD well I actually like the use of such words and that I do not see it usually!
It is my favourite line surely!
Well written poetry and really interesting one!
The kinda strange tittle actually caught my hard-to-catch attention so you did it very well there.
You use words other do not do because they may feel awkward XD
Some parts had the rhyme others do not so I think you did not think about making it rhymed but it kind of feels odd if you read it out loud if it is half-rhymed.
Overall,this work is amazing and I hope you continue on sharing your talent with us,the readers and reviewers!

Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:52 am
Zackymas wrote a review...

Hello there :D I'm here to review thy poem :v

Okay first of all. Awesome. Very well written and the message it's deep within its own context. I really liked how you weren't scared of using words that'd make some people feel awkward (Like 'condom'). You didn't shy away from what you needed to do in order to send the message, and the ability to do that, allow me to tell you, is something valuable.

Now now, there are a few things that got me 'uhhh' with this poem. Two actually, if my senses don't fail me. First of all, the title, I have read and re-read the poem, but still can't quite touch the relationship between your work and its poem, so maybe I'm just a moron or there's something wrong (The first one is most the likely).

Second, rhyming, I could notice this isn't a rhyme poem, but there are quite a few consequent rhymes that make it look like it is so. If that wasn't your intention, I'd recommend re-reading out loud asap. Now if this was your intention, then it's all good :)

I think that's it from me.
Keep writing :D

Willard says...

Haha, thanks for the review.

A lot of the titles of my poetry are hard to interpret, because not everybody has the same POV as me. "I Am My Own Wife" is a play by Doug Wright, talking about a transgender Soviet spy who lived in Germany during the Nazi and Communist regimes. The first two lines are in reference to the part of the play where Charlotte talks about her childhood. You aren't a moron, I'm literally just a prick when it comes to titles.

As for the rhymes, the brutal/bruises semi-rhyme was intentional, but the rest wasn't. Heck, I actually can't find any other spot, but that's probably just me.

Thanks once again!

Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:49 am
HazelGrace16 wrote a review...

Hello pal HazelGrace16 here for a review!

First off...wow. Second off...wow. *takes deep breath*

Sorry had to get that off my chest haha. Anyways, I'll be somewhat serious now. I personally really liked your poem. It had emotion, connections to the real world, and an interpretive message. As I continue to read over it, I still am confused about the message I see in the piece. Knowing me though, the message is right in front of my face.

This is one of my favorite things about this poem. It's so utterly beautiful and complex. It tells a million stories, and connects to people in a million ways. Personally, I don't know if you were going for a literal piece, but either way I would love it.

I have to agree with Alice about the "or something of the sort" line. The flow seemed off to me, but its a simple fix. Also it wasn't a big enough mistake to take away from the writing, so that's good. And possibly to you it wasn't even a mistake. I guess that's the difficult thing about writing these reviews. You never want to say the wrong thing haha.

In conclusion, I loved this piece. I hope to keep reading it, and see if I can interpret it fully. My advice for the future is keep an eye on the flow, and the type of poem you're writing. I know from experience that writing poetry is one of the easiest hardest things you can do. Getting caught up in the words is easy. Getting yourself out of them is the hard part. Again, I loved the piece, and I hope to see more writing from you in the future. Great job!

HG16 <3

Willard says...

Haha, thanks for the review!

The "something of the sort" line was intentional, but only to set the main theme of the poem. Because right after that condom reference, everything goes down hill. It actually keeps the flow going when I read it out loud, but that's just me.

So I'm saying this not to be a jerk, but it wasn't me getting caught up in the words, as you said. I think, from experience, everything I write now is meticulously planned to incorporate anything and everything in the poem's environment. The type of poem I was writing is some abstract art piece of crap, in my eyes.

Poopsie says...

this makes my brain fart

Willard says...

Literally, if this is all you're going to respond with, please don't leave comments on my works.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:31 am
Charm wrote a review...

Hey! Here's just a few things I notice and/or thought when reading your lovely poem :)

~"or something of the sort." This line confused me a bit. I felt like it sort of disturbed the flow and rhythm of your poem. The last two lines of the first stanza rhymed so I thought the rest of the stanzas would be like that too.
~I now notice that this is not a rhyming poem which is awesome and I rarely rhyme either in my poems so it doesn't bother me whether poems rhyme or not. I still think the line I pointed out disturbed the rhythm and flow of the poem.
~I really love this poem and the metaphors and imagery that comes with it.
~I loved the last stanza it made me laugh. It sounds like something I'd say to one of my friends to joke with them (I have a horrible sense of humor) maybe something I'd say to my sister.
~I really like the way it was negative and spoke truth. It's like a lot of music I listen to cough cough Melanie Martinez cough cough

Anyway that's all I got. This was a really amazing piece and just wow good job Strange :)
Sorry it was late over here when I wrote this so I might have rambled or spun off topic,
Alice ♥

Please immediately cease and desist from offering Bob any more coffees with peppermint sprinkles. Thank you.
— SilverNight