Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

Harry Potter & Inheritance- Opinions Wanted!!

by Sohini

The Harry Potter books have taken the world by a storm-casting a strong spell (maybe even stronger than the Unforgivable Curses) on everyone ranging from toddlers to teens and adults .Its popularity is always at its zenith and has made many records.

The Inheritance trilogy is also not lagging behind and has already proven its popularity. It is more popular with the teens than with the smaller kids because of its higher level. Eragon Shadeslayer with the help of Saphira Brightscales has come out if Alagaesia and is emerging victorious in our own world with flying colours.

J.K.Rowling’s writing has no doubt captured innumerable hearts and minds. Her style is comparatively simple yet truly enchanting. It is easily understood but cannot be easily forgotten. The various hidden meaning and connections in the names, spells and more are interesting to decipher. The humour is rib-tickling.

Christopher Paolini has proved his skills as a great writer and a fascinating storyteller (better than Brom, I daresay.) His style is mature and each sentence of his books is an individual masterpiece. His story has a greater depth of mind boggling philosophy and the use of different languages adds a special flavour.

Two worlds- two creators-zillions of fans. Both the plots are equally gripping, unputdownable and highly imaginative. The characters in both the series are life like and seem personally known to us. The creatures introduced are unique. Magic binds all of together by unbreakable bonds of love and hatred. Each series has its eagerly awaited concluding parts coming up.

I ask you now friends, five questions which perhaps will leave you in a daze. Please answer as I’m curious to know your opinions. Who or which do you consider better or worse??

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)?

2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)?

3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)?

4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)?

5. Your two most hated and loved characters from each of the series.

**I don’t have seer blood flowing through me neither do I have Solembum to guide me to foretell like Angela the herbalist nor was I blessed with Eragon’s mistake like Elva. So naturally cannot foresee the future magically. Yet I dare make a prediction:

We now wait for the concluding parts of each of the series, ready to face and defeat Galbatorix’s and Lord Vordemort’s evil army. But what after that? No more heart throbbing waits, no more fear and anticipation. Maybe we’ll have a lot to ponder over, but for how long? Do you not sense the emptiness we all will feel? Do you not foresee the sadness that will overcome us- the ones who love these series dearly? We surely will miss our extraordinary friends and foes. The world will experience a mass disenchantment after these immortal stories end. Who will come next to engage us with books? To feed our imagination, to occupy our minds and to capture our hearts? In this statement, I of course mean not only the end of these two stories but also others fantasy novels. So it is up to us the young writers to wield our mighty weapon-the pen and weave webs of magic, fantasy, drama -anything that will prove worth reading and appreciating for the fantasy lovers. I sense this upcoming distress among us and I’ve also figured this simple solution. I may be wrong but for once think about what I’ve said…

I thank J.K.Rowling and Christopher Paolini from the bottom of my heart for their ingenious contributions.

Waiting very eagerly and curiously for your opinions. Till then:

May your wands and quills stay sharp and may the stars watch over you…

Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:10 pm
Cpt. Smurf wrote a review...

Shadeslayer wrote:Wow, you really love Harry Potter and the Inheritance series don't you?
well i got some good news and some bad news for you christopher paolini is not going to make just 3books he is making four! the bad news is you will have to wait a while!

That's the bad news?! *gags* If only he'd manage to choke on his own ego before he finishes...

Actually, I think it was a big mistake on his part to, after having supposedly been writing the third book for over two years now, have the release date for September 2008. I think he's trying to do another Rowling by making his readers wait. But Rowling never kept us waiting for three years (from GOF onwards we only had a wait of two between each), and a quick look at the comments over at Shur'tugal.com shows that his readers are, for most part, not happy. And if he tries to do the same with Book Four (which, by some, has been tentatively called Ending... *chokes on own tongue*), I strongly suspect he will lose a lot of his readership. Greed and an apparent lack of intelligence do not, it seems, go hand in hand.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:34 pm
Sohini says...

Hmm, thanks for the info Shade...*waits for book 3 and 4*

As for Hp, I wrote this thread at least 2 years back I think, so times have changed...A Lot.

It feels so empty without haing to wait for another HP book

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:52 pm
Leja says...

*title edited for screaming capitalizations*

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:41 pm
Shadeslayer wrote a review...

Wow, you really love Harry Potter and the Inheritance series don't you?

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Eragon has the heir of a hero around him

2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? Galbatorix - smart deadly

3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)? the style you pretty much summed it up i can't compare them

4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)? Harry Potter

5. Your two most hated and loved characters from each of the series. Hated- probaly the twins loved- Murtagh Hated-NO ONE loved- Harry

Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:06 am
berrylique wrote a review...

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Harry
2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? Voldemort
3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)? JKR
Harry Potter: Love: Harry, Hermione, the Weasleys, Snape, Dumbledore...
Hate: Bellatrix, Draco..
I didn't place anything from Inheritance because it's nothign compared to the HP series. JKR's series are very original. All the magic spells, words(like Quidditch, Horcruxes). I love JKR's style of writing. :D

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:28 pm
Evangelina says...

I know. The whole point of fantasy is for it to be fantastic, out of bounds, different...

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:21 pm
Ava says...

J. K. Rowling should teach Paolini a thing or two about originality. The fantasy genre has unlimited possibilities and he comes up with Inheritance? :?

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:12 pm
Evangelina says...

I hate Eragon, and the book that followed. It was simply not filling. It was stiff, a little boring, and moved so slowly.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:15 am
Dreami says...

just a note: I have considered burning the Inheritance Trilogy, but decided not to, and instead I grabbed highlighters and papers and marked all similarities between HP/LOTR/SW and Inheritance. (Am I allowed to sue him?) :D If I sued him, I'd wear a Darth Vadar suit to the trial, just to see Paolini's face.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:31 am
sabradan wrote a review...

Bjorn wrote:My good friend, Harry Potter came out when I was in grade 4, and I do know they are easy to read. But the point I was getting across (this being said, on average, kids aren't as good readers as they maybe could be), was that it was simple, period. I mean he puts in this 'big words' and seemingly complex 'philisophical' concepts, which are quite poorly explained, and greatly flawed. Put it this way, it's like I were to put a diamond randomly in a row of plain grey rocks.

I agree. While I may be 20 years old, going on 21, I still love the HP series, much more than Inheritance. They aren't even really comparable. I will anwser your questions as I go about my rant, so don't look for numbers, really. Harry is by far the greater hero character, as conversely, is Voldemort for the role of Villian both are more much believeable, much more HUMAN. That is actually the primary reason why, at age 20, I still am enthralled by the HP series. Its very down-to-earth, and Rowlings books much better capture the humanity of the characters, makeing them more believeable, making us more attached to them. Hell, after the 6th book was released people were practically up in arms when she killed off Dumbledore, remember? Why do you think that is? Because she makes her characters much more human, much more BELIEVEABLE, and thus, we as readers get much more emotionally attached to them. I love how the HP series, while originally made for little kids, captures the minds of people young and old, not just because of the adventures, because all stories of that genre have similar adventures. But rather, at least, for me, because she expertly waves both elaborate plot/adventure, seemlessly with at the same time having her books appeal to readers basest instinct, making them sort of stories about the human spirit, as it were. What it means to be human. What it means to be in love, etc etc. You get my drift.

As for favorite characters, for Inheritance, I'm not even going to bother, but as far as HP goes, my favorites (can't name just two)
are
Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny (basically all the Weasleys) and Hagrid
Least favorite: Draco Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange, Firenze

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:58 pm
whence says...

I think I can speak well on the subject because I actually took the time to read both Eragon and Eldest, and I approached them with an open mind.

*throwsup in mouth*

Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:33 am
Alainna wrote a review...

Wow. Whence put it beautifully. I have never heard anyone say it better.

I only read the first three pages of Eragon before dying, therefore I can not speak much on this topic. However, I hated those three pages and the first thing that came to mind was.....unoriginal. The second, boring. The third....I won't even say.

So, to be fair HP wins on all accounts for this topic. No ifs, no buts, it's just better and more well known.

Alainna
xxxxxx

Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Whence hath spoken! Nice rant. I wish I could pull off something even close to that on occasion. :?

Actually, a couple of my friends are obsessed with Inheritance - don't ask why I haven't abandoned them - and when I try to explain to them why I don't like it, they go, "just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have to dump your dislike on us!"

Well, they aren't writers, and they don't look at it from a writer's perspective, so I guess I can forgive them. For now.

Dreami wrote a review...

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Harry... I don't like him but he's flawed and human. Eragon is like... perfect.
2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? Lord Voldemort could kick Galbatorix's butt. Volders actually has a backstory and motivation. What's Galbatorix's motivation... insanity? hmmph. creative.
3. I took out this question because it's not even worth comparing the two. J.K. Rowling. She's amazing. Horcruxes. Can Paolini even get an uncliched idea that is anywhere close to that brilliance?
4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)? Harry Potter. There is so much backstory on it, where Inheritance series is just... so one-dimensional.
Love from Harry Potter: Fred, Luna, Tonks, Snape,.... EVERYONE!

Hate from Eragon: Everyone. Except maybe Murtagh... other than his whole "I'm your brother!" crap. Nor would I say I love Murtagh.

Cpt. Smurf wrote a review...

Whence does indeed show a remarkably... enthusiastic(!) insight into how the rest of us feel.

On re-reading this comment, I felt compelled to add that I have never met any teenagers who have preferred Inheritance to HP. Indeed, if anything, it's the other way round, small children not being so perceptive to the amount of constant over-used cliches present in Inheritance. As to it being of a higher level... *looks darkly upon post*

Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:12 pm
Black Ghost wrote a review...

Whence speaks the truth!

Seriously, how can you compare them? I mean it's Harry Potter, compared to what, a cardboard character that plays with dragons?

So yes, Harry completely and utterly ownes E[s]D[/s]ragon.

MM

Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:52 pm
whence wrote a review...

I haven't read through others' posts, so forgive me if I repeat.

But are you serious?!?!

You can't compare the two. JK is an excellent author, while Paolini uses rehashed everythings but has an accessible writing style.

As for Paolini being "ingenious", or his plot "highly imaginative" or his characters " unique"; what rock have you been living under for the past, oh, forever?! With how much Paolini relies on copying better writers and now-cliched-once-great ideas, I'm honestly surprised he can even breathe without George Lucas telling him how.

And this?

His style is mature and each sentence of his books is an individual masterpiece. His story has a greater depth of mind boggling philosophy and the use of different languages adds a special flavour.

WTF are you on? His style is accessible, not mature. Each sentence of his books is on cliche-life-support, and the only depth his story possesses is the four inches width that the pages waste. Now, 'mind-boggling philosophy' I can understand, if you're referring to the fact that the number of inaccuracies and poorly-used descriptions are indeed mind-boggling. And as for his languages? Just no. Tolkien created 13 full and separate languages, complete with grammar rules and rootwords. It added an unprecedented depth and level of immersion into his world. Paolini on the other hand, threw together some foreign-sounding syllables and called it 'language'.

In short:
Burn your copy[ies] of anything Paolini, take a deep breath, and let the healing begin.

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:37 am
Sumi H. Inkblot wrote a review...

Re-taking this after a serious re-thought. :P

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)?

1. Harry.

2. Moldy-Shorts. He's got a grace, since we've met him in the series, that Galbatorix can't achieve.

3. Rowling.

4. Harry Potter (bleep bleep bLEEPity BLEEPS!) Eragon's wimpy little dragon-rider butt-book anyday. GO HARRY!

5.I love the entire Weasley family, Hermione, Harry, Sirius, Neville, even Malfoy, Snape and even Moldyshorts. The only characters I really don't like are Bellatrix are Wormtail.

Least favorite characters from Eragon? Eragon, Arya, Brom, Oromis, Saphira, Glaedr...oh, I'm sorry. I've just listed all the main characters. :P

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:28 am
Mythic Writing wrote a review...

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Harry. Eragon is a little too ... I can't think of the word. He's not deep enough.
2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? Voldie. We have yet to see Galbatorix!
3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)? Paolini tends to write like Tolkien. Someone I don't really like that much. So, JKR would have to win.
4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)? Inheritence overall. Dragons *hugs*
Hated: Umbridge + Lockhart, Morzan and Galbatorix
Loved: Draco + Hermione, Saphira and the Cripple Who is Whole

KiteRide86 wrote a review...

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)?

Alright, while Inheritance sucks, this will be very easy.

1. Neither, Ron!
2. Voldemort, duh!
3. J.K. Rowling, Paolini is a no!
4. Duh, do I have to answer? HP
5a. Eragon and Roran-hated. Brom, Saphira, Murtagh, and Angela-loved
5b. Harry, sometimes-hated. Sirius, Lupin, Fred, George, Ron-loved

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:02 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

:lol: I loved that avatar...was sorry to see it go! Voldie-shorts!

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:54 pm
chocolatechipmuffin wrote a review...

I appreciated Eragon, and it was a good story, but...not very original, and I honestly don't like Paolini's style. I saw everything coming long before it happened, even the SURPRISE! parts (except for Murtagh "dying" and then coming back...which I thought was pretty lame...) JK Rowling took me on a roller coaster ride, her plot is more in depth, her characters more dynamic and life-like (example: Harry goes through a huge bout of depression and anger after Sirius's death, vs. Eragon, who felt guilty that it was his fault, said, "I will avenge you," and has spent the rest of the series riding dragons, fighting battles (not thinking about his uncle), and falling in love.)
Also, HP was my first chapter book, it took me forever to read, but I picked it up in kindergarden, I was happy then, and JKR has continued to produce good books. The only parts I don't like were...Dumbledore's death and Sirius's death...okay, and I might possibly have been a Harry/Hermione shipper...but I spotted Rowling's grand plan for Ron and Hermione by the middle of Prisoner of Azkaban (she's been trying to give us a message for ages, I took it with a sigh), and I deferred to her authority as the Author.

1. Harry. More emotional depth, deeper issues, more real, likeable, and...well, in the last couple of movies he was cute. :D WHich has nothing to do with his character, but still.
2. Voldemort. *giggles* Voldie-Shorts...
3. JKR. I have already described it. I love her light humorous touches, the ones you just barely noticed (influenced by Jane Austen, perhaps? Yes.).
4. Harry Potter. I have also discussed this, but...I can see other books quite clearly in Paolini's work, his influences are obvious.
5. HP: Loved Sirius (still in mourning), Harry, Hermione, Ginny, the twins...Ron...Oliver...the list goes on...I liked Umbridge, it was fun to watch her get tortured. Hated Filch, Mrs. Norris, Marcus Flint...I don't actually hate most of the evil characters, I appreciate them as well-crafted...slugs...Inheritance: Loved...Saphira...Arya... Hated Eragon, the old dragon rider whose name I forgot (not Brom), Galbatorix, Arya (in that she was too perfect)...the list goes on...

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:51 pm
Meep wrote a review...

1. Harry.
2. Lord Voldemort.
3. JKR
4. Potter.
5. loved: Remus, Sirius (Remus/Sirius :wink: ), Tonks, McGonagal, Dumbledore, Luna, Hermione ... the list goes on.

It should be noted that Eregon made me want to scream and pull out my hair. I've read better Lord of the Rings fanfic than that, and I didn't have to pay $15 for it. :twisted: Paolini makes me want to burn books. :D

*cough*
Not that I'm bitchy or opinionated or anything.

Aet Lindling wrote a review...

1. Harry
2. Lord Voldemort, he has more... finesse. :D
3. Definitely Paolini, actually. (I feel like a betrayer... :()
4: Over all, Harry Potter, except today I feel more like Inheritance for some reason...
5: umm... get back to you on that...

Sumi H. Inkblot wrote a review...

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)?

In my answer:

1: Harry
2:Galbatorix
3. Rowling
4:Harry Potter
5:I love the twins from HP, and Solembum and Orik from Inheritance.

:D
-Ink

Sohini says...

aren't all these views interesting?

i knew this thread would attract a lot of fans.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 pm
Cpt. Smurf wrote a review...

To me Inheritance cannot compete with HP. I find Inheritance a complete rip-off of at least two other great series: Star Wars (plot-wise) and LOTR (world- and language-wise). Star Wars - one of the greatest plot twists ever (Luke/Vader thing), and a consistently high standard of originality. As tedious as LOTR may be (and though the characters are extremely flat, in my opinion) at least the world was original. Paolini has basically taken the entire plot of Star Wars, the world of the LOTR, and put them together. But, let's give him some credit, at least he did make the highly original move of having the elves and dwarves complete rivals *note: sarcastic tone of voice*

As you can tell, not a Paolini fan. To the questions:

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Harry. He actually has a personality. Eragon is way too noble for my liking. Much too flat, and no depth to his character at all.
2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? Voldemort. We've actually seen him, so his character is much better developed.
3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)? Rowling. She's funny and light-hearted, yet also serious, sometimes all in one page. She really entices you to read more. Paolini appears to be trying to hard. It seems he wants to imitate Tolkein.
4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)? Harry Potter.
5. Your two most hated and loved characters from each of the series. Inheritance - Hate: Eragon. Like(I can't bring myself to say love): Saphira and Murtagh - the one character with any depth.
Harry Potter - Dislike(again, I don't hate any of them. The real nasties have a depth to their characters which makes it possible to relate to them, while the 'just mean' ones can be useful for comic relief): Umbridge. Love: Hermione - so funny!

Well, maybe I am being a bit aggressive to Inheritance, but the fact that such an unoriginal series has such a huge fan base is quite unbeliveable. No offense to any of you Inheritance fans, I appreciate your taste. But I just don't enjoy reading Paolini as much as I do Rowling.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:24 am
flytodreams wrote a review...

1. Harry because he's strong, and tough, and determined. (I have no idea how to put it) Eragon's...not like that.
2. Lord Voldemort because he's a cleverer, and better villain than Galbatorix.
3. JK Rowling, because her style is nice and easy-to-read, unlike Paolini's, always describing everything.
4. Harry Potter because it's way more interesting than Eragon.
5. Harry Potter Hated: Snape and Voldemort. Harry Potter Loved: Harry and Hermione (not as a couple, I know)

I think Harry Potter is better than Eragon. Funny, because a while ago, I wouldn't have said that. (What's wrong with me??)

HeadInTheClouds wrote a review...

Between the two I would choose HP. Mainly because it's far more original than Inheritance, has more depth, and was actually able to shock me.

It's not that Inheritance is bad, it just lacks originality, character development, and depth in general. Lets face it people, Paolini didn't exactly think of most of his ideas himself. It was also very predictable. All the major "twists" in Eldest I saw coming from page one. I'm not sure if I would bother reading the next book if it wasn't for Murtagh. He's awesome. :wink:

But.......yeah. I prefer Rowling. End of story.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:43 am
Jenita wrote a review...

I read most of the harry potter in third grade! it is definitly a lower reading level than inhereitance.

The age you read a book at is not the same as its reading level. I'm betting that Inheritance wasn't even around when you were in third grade.

1. Harry... he has his angsty moments, but there are times when he's brave, and times when he's stupid, and times when he's actually intelligent (*gasp*). Eragon is just very whiny.

2. Lord Voldemort. :D

3. J.K. Rowling, Paolini is very difficult to read and frankly, it's not worth it. If his plot were actually original, I'd probably read through the boringness. But it's not, so period.

4. Harry. Potter. Is. AMAZING.

5. Inheritance: Loved: Angela and the cat. Hated Roran and Saphira, because although she's a dragon and supposed to be intelligent, she's not.

Harry Potter: Hated... I didn't like Peter Pettigrew or Marietta in character, much, but everyone was very well written, methought. Loved a lot of characters, but if I had to choose two people...: Tonks and Tom Riddle. Yes, not Voldemort, Tom Riddle.

And Rowling not thinking everything through? I actually don't like Paolini's lack of intricacy. Rowling, not thinking things through... Have you noticed that she has practically never used a character just once? That there's forshadowing for the sixth book in the first?

Oh, and the reason books three and four are considered the best by so many people, me thinks, feel free to kill me if you don't agree, is that the first few are introducing things and with the fifth and onward, all the plot threads are starting to tie up, and there aren't as many introductions. If that makes any sense. Three and four strike a healthy balance.

Ooookay, I 'm done ranting now. :D

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:31 pm
uniaeca wrote a review...

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Out of these two unlikely heroes, I would have to say that Eragon is definitely my favourite, as I don't really see Harry as a hero. Eragon... is extraordinary in how far he has gone to achieve what he must, while Harry is still immature and not thinking far into the future. A hero needs to plan ahead, not take things as they come.

2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? I actually can't remember Galbatorix (long time since I've read Eragon and Eldest), so I'll say Voldemort is the best kind of evil, though I'm pretty sure I can do better at being evil.

3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)? I believe that Paolini (though young) is far better polished than J.K. Rowling. I'm also more pleased with him, because of Rowling's own lack of respect to her series - she does not think everything through and has even been heard to say that though she messes her own timelines up, she doesn't really care.

4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)? The Harry Potter series, by a margin. I find it difficult to re-read bits of Inheritance, but not Harry Potter. Also, Harry Potter has more books, more pages equaling more time that I can get away from the world.

5. Your two most hated and loved characters from each of the series. I only have one hated character from Inheritance - Arya. God damn it girl, fight! And I love Eragon and Sapphira. Enough said. For Harry Potter my most hated characters are Snape and Dumbledore. There are times I want to whack Snape over the head - and others when I feel like hitting dear old Dumbles too. I love Luna and Ginny, and I pity Draco. I can understand why he was trying so hard to kill Dumbledore.

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:17 pm
Swires wrote a review...

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)?

Harry Potter

Voldy, Galbatorix has no real aims and is a mere overtone of the books as oposed to Voldemort which plays a vital and blood curdling role in HP.
Rowling

Harry potter - It has far more depth in character, plot and everything else.

Inheritance -
Hated-
Eragon
Brom

Liked -
The Shade
The twins (ok thats three lol)

Harry Potter
Loved:
Severus Snape
Dumbledore

Hated:

Harry potter
Ginny Weasley.

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:12 pm
Shafter wrote a review...

Uh... yeah. I'm not an Inheritance fan at all. Paolini is not original in the least, and I don't think his books deserve the millions of fans they've gotten. I did like Harry Potter, though.

1. Harry. Definitely.
2. Voldemort. Definitely.
3. J.K. Rowling, although her use of all capitals when someone's yelling annoys me.
4. Harry Potter.
5. Inheritance: I hate Roran and Eragon. Mostly Roran. I love Angela and what'shisname, the Yoda guy. Harry Potter: There really aren't any characters I hate, per se. I love Hermione. I am Hermione! :)

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:24 pm
Lilyy03 wrote a review...

Speaking as someone who's not very fond of Eragon *cough*seriouslackoforiginality*cough*, my answers might not be exactly what you're looking for, but....

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Harry.
2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? Voldemort.
3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)? Rowling!
5. Your two most hated and loved characters from each of the series. Eragon: hate Arya, Eragon, Angela. Love Murtagh. Harry Potter: hate Hermione, Cornelius Fudge, Umbridge. Love Dumbledore, Lupin, Sirius and the Weasley twins. (sorry for giving more than two!)

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:36 am
Mr. Everyone wrote a review...

I have heard alot about the inheritence series im going to have to pick it up, and the eragorn series, and i can't wait for hp7 to hurry up and release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
keep writing and =) happy reading (=

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:16 am
gold_tangerine wrote a review...

Harry Potter 3: Prisoner of Azkaban made a strong impression on me. The amazing plot makes it the zenith of Rowling's whole series (it weakened for me after 3 somewhat) and the lightning-fast descriptions of Quidditch matches was adding another column to a solid Parthenon of awesomeness.

Ahem. Eragon, Chris Paolini and the Inheritance Trilogy is a sensitive subject with me. I respect everyone's opinion here and don't want to offend your literary taste at all, I couldn't get through Lord Of The Rings so I might be oil-and-watery with straight fantasy, BUUUT...I can't believe they're making a movie. And a game. That guy has his future cut out for him; I need to get my act together.
Anyway I hated Eragon so much I posted an Amazon review on it for 2 stars (now you really hate me) because it was just so cliched, and how come he loses consciousness in like 5 different chapter ends and wakes up in five chapter beginnings? Get some real plot twists in there. I learned later that he took a lot from established dragon/fantasy authors, and a lot of other people disliked his unoriginality.

I like Dean Thomas from Harry Potter. He's a minor character, but he likes to draw like me.
Lee Jordan because he's funny.

Hate: Umbridge from Book 5, and Percy.

If I had to pick, in Eragon, I'd choose:

Like: Solembum (both forms, so thats 2)

Hate: Eragon and everyone else (sorry!)

Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:28 pm
Sureal says...

Don't get me wrong - I do intend to read the Inheritance series (I wouldn't dare judge a book properly without reading it). My last post is just based on reviews I have read (which aren't always reliable, as everyone has their own opinion).

Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:20 pm
EstelPax wrote a review...

Sureal,
I have never read Harry Potter and still think it would be excellent searies to read.
Eragon as a book is better than the movie.
Arya is a elf who is the movie is a weak female.While in the book she's a tough youngwoman who deals with inumerabal totures.

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:23 pm
Sureal says...

I have never read any of the Inheritance series. However, from grazing reviews, it does appear to be a rather poor series (largely due to a complete lack of origionality).

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:10 pm
Pushca wrote a review...

1. harry
are you kidding me? eragon is... annoying. i am really trying not to swear here. paolini is just an awful writer and his characters are flat... maybe the movie will be better...

2. voldemort
voldemort beats sauron every time.

3. rowling
paolini has a style? like where he has boring sentences which he wrote with a thesaurus in the other hand?

4. harry potter
i think i might have expressed my views on hp vs. inheritance before, maybe...

5. inheritance - love: murtagh
-hate: eragon, and pretty much everybody else, too
hp - love: harry, ginny, ron
-hate -the dursleys. in some ways they remind me of my parents... which, you know, probably isn't the best thing

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:26 pm
lexy says...

1. HARRY!!!!!
2. Voldemort
3. J.K ROWLING
4. HP
5. Ron because he is so funny and also dumbledore with some of the things he says!!!!!

lexy xxx

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:20 am
Fireweed wrote a review...

1.Harry, though he annoys me a bit when he's being angsty, like Elelel said.

2.Voldemort... again I agree with Elelel.

3.Tie, I like the writing styles of both.

4.Harry Potter, hands down. It's much more imaginitive, Eragon's plot and characters are totally cliche.

5.HP, loved: I only get 2?! Feh. Hermione and Tonks. But there are so many awesome characters...

HP,hated: Proffesor Umbridge

Inheritance, loved: I don't know... none of the characters really stood out to me. I guess Saphira was cool...

Ineritance, hated: I basically had no strong feelings toward any of the characters, negative or positive...

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:45 am
Fantasyfreak14 wrote a review...

1.Eragon
2. Lord Voldemort
3.can't decide
4.Inheritance
5. Inheritance-Love: Eragon, Saphira, Roran, Murtagh
Hate: The Ra'zac, Galbatorix, Sloan
Harry Potter-Love: Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Sirius, Lupin, Tonks
Hate: Draco, Voldemort, Bellatrix Lestrange

Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:05 am
Elelel wrote a review...

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)?
Harry. Ergon annoys me a bit. Harry has his sulky moments where I get a bit fed up with him, but I get sick of Ergon more often.

Voldie! YAY!!! He's way eviler than Galbatorix. What has Galbatorix ever personally done to Ergon? That's right! Voldemort's a much better villain. It's like small shops versus huge chain supermarkets. At which one do you (generally) get better service?

Probably J.K.Rowling. I agree that is it was easier to read, and I like that in a book. None of this nonsense with page long descriptions you just end up skipping.

Er ... Harry Potter. Eldest brought Inheritance down, for me. Anyway, big heroic quest adventrue stories aren't really my favourite thing in the world, although I do like them. Plus J.K. Rowling has some fun ideas that Pauloni does not ever hope to rival.

HP - loved: Ron, Molly Weasley (don't mess with Mollywobbles!)
- hated: *draws blank*
E - loved: er ... Brom. And ... not really anyone else.
-hated: No one, really. They were just all in the middle.

Hehe. Harry Potter seems to have won the most questions overall. I'm not obsessed with Harry Potter, it's just more my sort of thing than Eragon.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:56 am
avidreader10 wrote a review...

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)?

1. Eragon!
2. Lord Voldemort!
3. Christopher Paolini!
4. Inheritance!
5. Inheritance-Love:Eragon, Saphira
-Hate:Gallen, Murtagh
Harry Potter-Love:Harry, Hermione
-Hate:Voldemort,

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:36 am
SilentGargoyle7 wrote a review...

1.Eragon(Harry's just starting to bug me being mad at everything)
2.Lord Voldamort ( You haven't actually seen anything of Galbatorix)
3. J.K. Rowling( but just to comment on the plot of both of them-HP: Voldamort's loose; it's pretty much the end of the world, and we still have time for little in-school, puppy love romances?! E: If you look at the plot , you see it's a ripoff of star wars; just watch: at the end of the first third one Murtagh will break free of Galbatorix's control and throw him off the side of somethin'.
4.Inheritence
5. L: Dumbledore, Mr. Weasley, Murtagh, and th Ra' Zak.
H: Drako, Mrs. Umbrige, Roran,and the Twins.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:33 am
Supermal wrote a review...

I love both books, personally Harry Potter is my favourite, though I admit it is not always the best written (which is especially obvious in Half-Blood Prince).
Eragon is my favourite hero of the two just because I feel he's got a lot more to go against. Harry's just got Voldemort and his meager army, but Harry is my favourite actual character of the two just because I can relate to him a little more.
My favourite villain of the two would have to be Voldemort, though, because he seems more completely cold-blooded and cruel. Galbatorix just seems to have gone wrong somewhere along the line.
Sapphira is my favourite character from Inheritance because she's so funny sometimes and unique while Ginny Weasley is my favourite character in Harry Potter because she's just such a dynamic character.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:43 am
Bjorn says...

The story is stiff.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:51 am
Sohini says...

i didn't mean to compare them except for the questions.
anyway, thanks to u all for responding.
HP and Inheritence both rules!!
remeber i'm giving my personal opinion so no need to get mad at the comments.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:04 am
zelithon says...

Neither of them our my favorate books. Paloni is younger then some people hear. It definatly does have more than one conflict, famly and betayal for instance. hp only has a few. I wont worry when either one ends.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:39 am
J. Haux says...

You did compare them. You said they were both brilliantly written. I don't think they are on the same level, thought-wise.

Inheritance? I guess we're looking at it differently, Zel. There is an obvious contrast in maturity of thought and theme etc...between them. And, well, yeah, Paolini is younger and less experienced. While I enjoyed reading Eragon, it still had a simple plot with little thought beyond that. He did try to make a few points and conflicts in Inheritance, but he brushed over them, it was over and gone with no impact left! I was sorely disappointed with the second book. But I'm giving him a chance to redeem himself in the third one. Hm... :)

And Erethror, I beg to differ. HP's most obvious theme is good vs. evil, but there are other themes as well. You just have to look closer.

Let me say...My friends and I said the same thing "Oh no! Whatever shall we do without new HP books! The world will surely end!" Now I'm thinking, there are always new things coming. There is always a new idea waiting to arise. So...I'm not all that anxious. I guess I'll be sad when they're all out, but...*shrug* [/i]

Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:39 am
Bjorn says...

My good friend, Harry Potter came out when I was in grade 4, and I do know they are easy to read. But the point I was getting across (this being said, on average, kids aren't as good readers as they maybe could be), was that it was simple, period. I mean he puts in this 'big words' and seemingly complex 'philisophical' concepts, which are quite poorly explained, and greatly flawed. Put it this way, it's like I were to put a diamond randomly in a row of plain grey rocks.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:20 am
zelithon says...

Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:08 am
Sohini says...

I think you have misunderstood my rationale. I don’t want to make this a comparison between the two. It really clogs my mind if I had to choose the better between the two. I was really curious and still am to know how many others feel the same way and how many don’t. I though I wrote this pretty carefully so that you would understand that I love these books equally. Through the questions I wanted to know different kids’ opinions as I’ve got no one except my bro to discuss these topics with. Anyway I thank you all for responding.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:33 am
J. Haux wrote a review...

I agree with Melodie. I don't think you can compare the two. Actually, I don't think that the Inheritance trilogy has all that much depth. I was sorely disappointed in Eldest. Anything that could have meant something was brushed over...it was a tiresome read for me. So long...so very long...the major conflict was compacted into five pages out of 600! But, I know it's the middle book, I'll give him a chance to redeem himself in Inheritance.

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Harry, he's more human (blunt trans.: more flawed. :wink: )
2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? Lord Voldemort (you just don't see all that much of Galbatorix)
3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)? I think J.K. Rowling's writing is entrancing. Christopher Paolini can get wordy and laborsome.
Ooh...HP: I love(d)-Dumbledore and Snape(as a character)
I hate-Snape(okay, love to hate him...but he's so interesting), and Lestrange
IT: I love(d)-Brom, Angela
I hate(d)-Eragon (honestly, he's okay), Arya

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:32 pm
Bjorn wrote a review...

Eragon...is a childs book. It is not complicated to understand or decipher, its writing style is easy enough for a 4th grader to understand, the so called philosophy embedded within the book, is flawed and muddled, the backstory is boring, some concepts are blatant cheap Tolkienesque rip-offs, no, I should say Tolkien rip-offs period, and of course, it's uninspiring. What about the elves coming from Western shores? Paolini is more than less likely a Tolkien fan, but honestly, to try and recreate Ronald's conceptions, and blatantly mould it into his own? The plot was bare and un-layered. (And the Ancient Lanauge? Wow, I hope he didn't spend hours developing it...)
Harry Potter, on the other hand, is good, to put it bluntly. It's well written, and entrances you. It has depth, and makes you believe. There is no complex philosophical meaning/s hidden within the book, other than the simple concept of Good versus Evil.

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Harry
3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)? Rowling(whats Paolini playing at? I can understand the writing style is good for little kids, but beyond that?
4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)? Potter
Inheritance:Love-Brom Hate-Saphira
Potter:Love-Dumbledore, Hagrid(otherwise I like most of em) Hate-Draco, Lestrange

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:59 pm
zelithon says...

Eragon
Lord Voldamort
Christipher Paolini
Inheratince
Hermiony and Harry
elf and dwarf

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:34 pm
Melodie wrote a review...

Do we really have to compare them? They are both great series to me and I don't really think one is better than the other. True they are of the same genre and are both amazing works of modern fiction. They both have captured the imaginations of a modern society that sometimes appears to have none.

I choose to appreciate and love them both as completely different entities. To liken two different pieces of literature is like likening different personalities.

People with writer's blocks should get together and build a castle.
— Love