16+ Language Violence Mature Content

Equivalent Worlds - Chapter Two

by ScarlettFire

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language, violence, and mature content.

For Tenyo's LMS Contest. Word Count; 1876, approx.

Chapter Two

The piercing shrillness of Seth's alarm woke him up, and he rolled over to silence it. Once it was quiet, he lay there for a moment basking in the absolute stillness of the house and nursing a piercing headache. Seth frowned. Alec wasn't playing any music--and there wasn't any noise from the kitchen, no sounds of someone--Sofia, probably--making breakfast. He frowned and sat up, reaching for his phone to double-check the time. It was ten in the morning, on a Saturday. Someone else should have been there, should be up.

Seth stumbled out of the bed, snagging his jeans off the floor and pulling them on. Something was... wrong. He didn't know what or how, but something was most definitely wrong. His housemates were never usually this quiet unless they were asleep. Perhaps he should check if they were asleep or not? That might reassure him that the wrongness he was feeling was... unfounded?

Plan fully formed and firmly in mind, Seth slipped out into the hall, glancing up and down it. The front door was partially open, swinging gently in the breeze. Seth frowned at it, then turned to the two open doors in the hall. He could see Alec and Sofia's beds from where stood. Both were empty.

"What the hell?" he whispered, glancing towards the front door again. Where were his housemates? And why was the front door open? Seth shook his head and turned to head for the front door. "Alec?" he called, glancing into the kitchen and then the bathroom as he passed them. Those rooms were empty, and so was the lounge room. Seth reached the door and tugged it open slightly. "Sofia?"

An arm snaked around his throat, pulling him backwards. Seth struggled, kicking out--and hitting the door; it swung shut in the process. He grabbed at the arm, trying to twist in his attacker's hold, but he was held firmly against a man's solid chest. Seth felt the pressure on his throat increase, and his lungs seized up. He panicked, struggling harder, fingernails scraping at the arm around his throat. The other hand, he realised, was on his hip.

"Stop struggling," the stranger grunted, a similar heavy accent to the creep he'd encountered in the bar the previous night. It wasn't the same person, though--the voice was different, younger. He froze, clutching at the man's arm, and trying to breathe around the pressure on his throat. "That's better." The hand on his hip tightened, pulling him in closer. "Now be quiet... they're still outside."

"What?" he gasped. He was barely able to hear his own voice thanks to the restriction on his throat. "Who--"

"Shh," the man hissed--and that's when the shooting started. The stranger took them both to the ground, pressing him into ground and shielding him from the sudden onslaught of gunfire. Seth turned his head enough to take a look towards the front of the house. Pale blue light flickered through the window, and then into the lounge room window. It shattered, and suddenly the stranger was leaning over him, shielding him from the glass as it scattered over them.

Seth stared at the face that was suddenly opposite his, at the near-white hair and tanned skin--and the eerie amber-coloured eyes. He opened his mouth just as a gunfire ceased. The strange, white-haired man clamped a hand over him mouth, silencing him before he'd even begun to speak.

Outside, there was flurry of activity and raised voices. They spoke no earthly language Seth could recognise, but his strange companion clearly understood what they were saying, if the way his eyes widened then narrowed dangerously was any indication.

"They want to kill you," the man whispered, pulling back and rising to crouch beside him. Seth pushed up into a crouch as well, studying the amber-eyed man warily. His apparent rescuer wore tight pants--he thought they were jeans, but a closer look told him different; they almost looked like something he'd see in a sci-fi game--and a loose shirt that wrapped around to tie in the side, looking like something Seth saw the monks wearing in those Chinese kung fu movies he liked to watch. The boots looked fairly standard, if somewhat glow-y... He took a close look and realised they were made out of something metal and flexible. On the other man's hip was a gun--again, something that would fit better in a sci-fi game--and slung across his back was what appeared to be a sword, the hilt protruding over his left shoulder. "We must go."

"What?" Seth hissed, staring at the man for a moment. That earned him a dark look and a gesture towards the shattered window, and the street beyond. Seth dragged his gaze off his strange rescuer to look out the window. He could see a couple of white-haired men and women standing on the street, all holding similar weapons to his rescuer's. "Oh, shit."

"Move," the other man grunted, jerking a hand towards the rear of the house. Seth stared at him for a moment, then glanced towards the window again. The man grew impatient, grabbing his arm and giving him a shove towards the hall, then growled something in the unearthly language. After a moment, he realised he had to translate and shook his head at Seth. "Now!"

Seth flinched, and backed away at the look the man gave him, turning to scramble for the hall just as more pale blue gunfire broke out, hitting the house and shattering another window. They reached the kitchen and ducked around the low wall separating it from the front room of the house.

Together, they peaked over the wall. From where they were crouched, Seth could see out both windows. The one on the right showed three people, one woman, two men. Seth decided to call them foot soldiers. The one on the left showed him the creep from the bar and two kneeling figures, dark hoods over their heads. They were obviously prisoners. He looked towards the other man, alarmed. The other man held out a hand, gaze focused on the creep and the two prisoners.

"Send the boy out here or the humans die," the creep called in clear, crisply accented English. Seth watched as two more of the foot soldiers stepped up behind the prisoners and promptly pulled their hoods off. He half-rose, swallowing hard, fear and anger mixing together in his belly to make him fel unreasonably queasy--and only stopped because of the hand on his arm. He glared at the other man, pushing away everything else but the anger he felt at seeing his friends bound and gagged. "Come on, Sethos. I know you're in there."

"Don't," his companion whispered, pulling him back down. "It's what he wants."

"But...those are my friends," he hissed back, pulling his arm free. "I have to help them--"

"No." The word was stern command. The man's gaze narrowed dangerously again and his amber eyes turned serious. Seth's glare turned withering. The man's eyes went freezing cold. "No. I won't repeat myself." He pointed at Seth, then at the ground. "You, stay here."

"But that's Alec and Sofia! My friends!" he insisted, making to rise again. "I can't just sit here and do nothing!"

"Yes, you can," the other man hissed, grabbing his wrist and jerked it off the top of the wall. "Do you want them to kill you as well?"

"Amerys, stop scaring him."

They both turned towards the hall at the sound of a woman's voice. Seth froze. It was almost like looking into a mirror, if that mirror showed him what he'd looked like as a woman. He took in her long, dark thinly braided hair and the bright blue-green eyes, the pale skin, her warm and slightly smirking smile. She wore an outfit similar to the other man's, though hers hugged her waist and accentuated everything. He couldn't help staring at her.

"What? Never seen a girl before?" she asked, throwing him a wicked grin. Then she whirled on her heels and stalked down the hall, calling over her shoulder. "Leave them. We'll deal with the traitorous bastard later."

"But--" Seth began to protest, only to be cut off with a dark look and sharp gesture. He snapped his mouth shut. The other man rose slowly, jerking him to his feet and dragging him down the hall. Amerys glared at him and shoved Seth ahead of him down the hall. He went, but not without throwing the man a glare over his shoulder.

Two other people stood near the back door with the woman. Both were men, and they looked a little different to Amerys. One was tall and dark-skinned with short, black feather-like hair and the other was more like the woman, but also dark skinned. His shoulder-length hair was twisted into very thing dreadlocks and pulled back into a stern ponytail.

"Let's go," the shorter man said, and turned to swing the back door open, disappearing around the corner of the doorframe. The other two followed him out, leaving Seth alone with his strange rescuer, Amerys.

Seth turned his back on the door, pushing at Amerys' chest. The man was a head taller them him. "We have to go back for my friends!" he insisted, giving him another shove. He didn't want to admit it, but he was very confused and very angry--what the hell was he supposed to do when his friends were kidnapped and being held hostage? "I can't just leave them there!"

Amerys swung him to the side and pressed him into the wall, face inches from his. "Yes, you can," he hissed, the accent growing heavier as he spoke "You must. I asked you earlier; don't make me repeat myself."

"I don't want to die, you moron! I want to save my friends!"

The older man shook him harshly. "Did you see how many were out there?" Amerys asked, gripping his chin tightly and making Seth look at him. Their gazes met--Seth's distressed and Amerys' stern, though with an edge to it. "With the four of us? Protecting you? Do you really think we could take on the two dozen Anshari out there?" He snorted and pushed away from the wall, leaving Seth leaning against it. "We wouldn't. Now come."

Seth hesitated, watching the other man warily. "Only if you promise to tell me what the hell is going on," he said, jerking his chin towards the front of the house. Amerys went very still. "And," he stressed, "you help me rescue my friends."

For the longest moment, he wasn't sure if the other man would respond. But then Amerys sighed and shook his head. "Fine, but we have to go now."

"Fine," Seth ground out and pushed off the wall. He stalked past the other man and out into the backyard. Amerys followed him out, muttering something about stubbornness and something called kaveh, lapsing into that strange language he spoke. He shook his head. So far, it had been the weirdest morning ever. What the hell had he somehow gotten himself into?

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:00 am
Xorsudite wrote a review...

I enjoyed how startling and action-packed this chapter was. I thought it was a smart move to have Samira immediately find Seth, instead of writing a tedious search. It throws the reader straight into the heat of things.

See mine (notes) and /*edits*/ below.

The piercing shrillness of Seth's alarm /*snapped him awake*/ woke him up, and he rolled over to silence it. Once it was quiet, he (redundant) /*He*/ lay there for a moment/*,*/ basking in the absolute stillness of the house and nursing a piercing headache. Seth /*He*/ frowned. Alec wasn't playing any music. /*He couldn't hear Sofia in the kitchen making her usual breakfast*/--and there wasn't any noise from the kitchen, no sounds of someone--Sofia, probably--making breakfast. He frowned and sat up, reaching for his phone to double-check the time. It was ten in the morning, on a Saturday. Someone else should have been there, should be up.

Seth /*He*/ stumbled out of the bed, snagging his jeans off the floor and pulling them on. Something was... wrong. He didn't know what or how, but something was most definitely wrong. His housemates were never usually this quiet unless they were asleep. Perhaps he should check if they were asleep or not? That might reassure him that the wrongness he was feeling was... unfounded?

Plan fully formed and firmly in mind, (show, don't tell) Seth /*He*/ slipped out into the hall, glancing up and down it. The front door was partially open, swinging gently in the breeze. Seth /*He*/ frowned at it, then turned to the two open doors in the hall. He could see Alec and Sofia's beds from where stood. Both were empty.

"What the hell?" he whispered, glancing towards the front door again. Where were his housemates? And why was the front door open? Seth /*He*/ shook his head and turned to head for the front door. "Alec?" he called, glancing into the kitchen and then the bathroom as he passed them. Those rooms were empty, and so was the lounge room. Seth /*He*/ reached the door and tugged it open slightly. "Sofia?"

An arm snaked around his throat, pulling him backwards. Seth struggled, kicking out--and hitting the door; (change semicolon to period, capitalise "it") it swung shut in the process. He grabbed at the arm, trying to twist in his attacker's hold, but he was held firmly against a man's solid chest. Seth /*He*/ felt the pressure on his throat increase, and his lungs seized up. He panicked, struggling harder, fingernails scraping at the arm around his throat. The other hand, he realised, was on his hip.

"Shh," the man hissed--(change dash to period, capitalise "and")and that's when the shooting started. The stranger took them both to the ground, pressing him into /*the*/ ground and shielding him from the sudden (redundant) onslaught of gunfire. Seth turned his head enough to take a look towards the front of the house. Pale blue light flickered through the window, and then into the lounge room window. It shattered, and suddenly the stranger was leaning over him, shielding him from the glass as it scattered over them.

Seth stared at the face that was suddenly (redundant) opposite his, at the near-white hair and tanned skin--and the eerie amber-coloured eyes. He opened his mouth just as a /*the*/ gunfire ceased. The strange, white-haired man clamped a hand over him /*his*/ mouth, silencing him before he'd even begun to speak.

"They want to kill you," the man whispered, pulling back and rising to crouch beside him. Seth pushed up into a crouch as well, studying the amber-eyed man warily. His apparent rescuer wore tight pants--(change dash to period, capitalise "he")he thought they were jeans, but a closer look told him different; they almost looked like something he'd see in a sci-fi game--and a loose shirt that wrapped around to tie in the side, looking like something Seth saw the monks wearing in those Chinese kung fu movies he liked to watch. The boots looked fairly standard, if somewhat glow-y... (change ellipsis to period) He took a close look and realised they were made out of something metal and flexible. On the other man's hip was a gun--again, something that would fit better in a sci-fi game--and slung across his back was what appeared to be a sword, the hilt protruding over his left shoulder. "We must go."

"What?" Seth hissed, staring at the man for a moment. That earned him a dark look and a gesture towards the shattered window, and the street beyond. Seth /*He*/ dragged his gaze off his strange (redundant. You've already painted the picture that he looks strange to Seth) rescuer to look out the window. He could see a couple of white-haired men and women standing on the street, all holding similar weapons to his rescuer's. "Oh, shit."

Seth flinched, and backed /*backing*/ (more immediate) away at the look the man gave him, turning to scramble for the hall just as more pale blue gunfire broke out, hitting the house and shattering another window. They reached the kitchen and ducked around the low wall separating it from the front room of the house.

Together, they peaked over the wall. From where they were crouched, Seth could see out both windows. The one on the right showed three people, (change comma to period, capitalise "one") one woman, two men. Seth decided to call them foot soldiers. The one on the left showed him the creep from the bar and two kneeling figures, dark hoods over their heads. They were obviously prisoners. He looked towards the other man, alarmed. The other man held out a hand, gaze focused on the creep and the two prisoners.

"Send the boy out here or the humans die," the creep called in clear, crisply accented English. Seth watched as two more of the foot soldiers stepped up behind the prisoners and promptly pulled their hoods off. He half-rose, swallowing hard, fear and anger /*mixing queasily in his gut. A hand grabbed his arm, restraining him.*/ mixing together in his belly to make him fel unreasonably queasy--and only stopped because of the hand on his arm. He glared at the other man, pushing away everything else but the anger he felt at seeing his friends bound and gagged. "Come on, Sethos. I know you're in there."

"No." The word was /*a*/ stern command. The man's gaze narrowed dangerously again and his amber eyes turned serious. Seth's glare turned withering. The man's eyes went freezing cold. "No. I won't repeat myself." He pointed at Seth, then at the ground. "You, stay here."

"Yes, you can," the other man hissed, grabbing his wrist and jerked /*jerking*/ it off the top of the wall. "Do you want them to kill you as well?"

They both turned towards the hall at the sound of a woman's voice. Seth froze. It was almost like looking into a mirror, if that mirror showed him what he'd looked like as a woman (I liked this sentence. We immediately know whom it is, despite her name not being mentioned.). He took in her long, dark thinly braided hair and the bright blue-green eyes, the pale skin, her warm and slightly smirking smile. She wore an outfit similar to the other man's, though hers hugged her waist and accentuated everything. He couldn't help staring at her.

Two other people stood near the back door with the woman. Both were men, and they looked a little different to Amerys. One was tall and dark-skinned with short, black feather-like hair and the other was more like the woman, but also dark skinned. His shoulder-length hair was twisted into very thing /*thin*/ dreadlocks and pulled back into a stern ponytail.

"Let's go," the shorter man said, and turned to swing the back door open, disappearing around the corner of the doorframe. The other two followed him out, leaving Seth alone with his strange (again, redundant) rescuer, Amerys.

Seth turned his back on the door, pushing at Amerys'/*s*/ chest. The man was a head taller them /*than*/ him. "We have to go back for my friends!" he insisted, giving him another shove. He didn't want to admit it, but he was very confused and very angry--what the hell was he supposed to do when his friends were kidnapped and being held hostage? "I can't just leave them there!"

Amerys swung him to the side and pressed him into the wall, face inches from his. "Yes, you can," he hissed, the accent growing heavier as he spoke/*.*/ "You must. I asked you earlier; don't make me repeat myself."

The older man shook him harshly. "Did you see how many were out there?" Amerys asked, gripping his chin tightly and making Seth look at him. Their gazes met--Seth's distressed and Amerys'/*s*/ stern, though with an edge to it. "With the four of us? Protecting you? Do you really think we could take on the two dozen Anshari out there?" He snorted and pushed away from the wall, leaving Seth leaning against it. "We wouldn't. Now come."

On to the next chapter.

BluesClues says...

Okay, so I guess the Anshari basically look like humans with tan skin and white hair, if humans wore those clothes.

This is a cool bit of description (omg I love "like something he'd see in a sci-fi," like you don't know the half of it, dude), but it seems out of place in the midst of a fire-fight.

Okay, I feel like I'm caught up now, but I'd better keep reading, just to make sure. Sorry it took me so long to get around to this.

skylnn00writes wrote a review...

Hey! Sky here for another review to this story.

He could see Alec and Sofia's beds from where stood.

You forgot the he.

The stranger took them both to the ground, pressing him into ground and shielding him from the sudden onslaught of gunfire.

I would reword this to say "The stranger knocked them both to the ground, pressing him down and shielding him from the sudden..." Just a suggestion.

The strange, white-haired man clamped a hand over him mouth, silencing him before he'd even begun to speak.

His, not him.

Outside, there was flurry of activity and raised voices.

"There was a flurry..."

They spoke no earthly language Seth could recognise,

Recognize is how that is spelled.

He took a close look and realised they were made out of something metal and flexible. On the other man's hip was a gun--again, something that would fit better in a sci-fi game--and slung across his back was what appeared to be a sword, the hilt protruding over his left shoulder.

Couple things here. First, realized, not realised. Second, you don't need the "--again, something that would fit better in a sci-fi game--" part. It's too repetitive and kind of unneeded.

He half-rose, swallowing hard, fear and anger mixing together in his belly to make him fel unreasonably queasy

I think you mean feel.

The word was stern command.

A stern command.

Both were men, and they looked a little different to Amerys. ... His shoulder-length hair was twisted into very thing dreadlocks and pulled back into a stern ponytail.

"looked a little different than Amerys." and you wrote thing instead of thin.

disappearing around the corner of the doorframe.

Door frame is two words.

The man was a head taller them him.

I think you meant than, not them.

Seth ground out and pushed off the wall.

I think you meant groaned.

This story is really good, so I could only point out your typos just in case you couldn't find them on your own. Other than that, I don't really have any complaints, except one thing that might be just me. As I was reading, I was kind of confused in the middle as to what was happening. I didn't know who was saying what and for a while I though Amerys was with the men outside, except rogue and trying to help him. It turned out to be he was part of something completely different, only he was there to save him. In the end, I realized the Seth was just as confused as me. I would just reread it and maybe clarify a few bits of dialogue. I feel like that would help. Again, it might be just me.

I really like this story and I can't wait to read the next few chapters. I hope my review is helpful :smt001

~Sky

Mea wrote a review...

Hey! I figured I'd drop by and review this today. I went ahead and read through the prologue and chapter one, too.

So this was great. You did a really great job of bringing up the tension - I was genuinely hooked and couldn't stop reading once Amerys showed up.

You do a great job of describing the characters without bringing the story to a halt. I liked how you "hinted" (although the reader already knows) that they're aliens because of the gear that looks like something from sci-fi.

I'm sort of assuming that the woman is Samira from the prologue. If that's the case, I kind of thought it was weird that she saw Seth for the first time and just made a quip about him staring. From the way she was acting in the prologue, I would have expected her to stare, at least a little, as she takes in that this is her brother. She just doesn't seem to have any emotional investment in the scene, currently.

When Amerys refused to let Seth go, I thought the people would shoot Alec and Sofia on the spot, and as much as I didn't want it to happen, the way it read made it feel like they just didn't do anything, as if it was an empty threat in the first place. Seth and Amerys seem to assume that his friends will be safe until they're able to rescue him, but that doesn't make sense because those people just threatened to kill Alec and Sofia.

Seth frowned. Alec wasn't playing any music--and there wasn't any noise from the kitchen, no sounds of someone--Sofia, probably--making breakfast. He frowned and sat up, reaching for his phone to double-check the time.

If you frown when you're already frowning, does that make it a double-frown? :P

The one on the left showed him the creep from the bar and two kneeling figures, dark hoods over their heads. They were obviously prisoners. He looked towards the other man, alarmed. The other man held out a hand, gaze focused on the creep and the two prisoners.

You never actually have that moment of Seth recognizing that it's Alec and Sofia - later he just shouts at Amerys that they're his friends and they need to rescue them, and that's the first the reader knows about it aside from guessing. It feels kind of weird narratively, because it basically means Seth realized something and we weren't told.

And that's all I've got! Best of luck with LMS!

RoseTulipLily wrote a review...

Criticism:
'The piercing shrillness of Seth's alarm woke him up, and he rolled over to silence it. Once it was quiet, he lay there for a moment basking in the absolute stillness of the house and nursing a piercing headache.' You use the word 'piercing' twice. Maybe just erase the word "piercing" before 'headache'. The same applies for the word 'any' in 'Alec wasn't playing any music--and there wasn't any noise from the kitchen, no sounds of someone--Sofia, probably--making breakfast. He frowned and sat up, reaching for his phone to double-check the time.'

'Someone else should have been there, should be up.' I am not quite sure what this means.

'His housemates were never usually this quiet unless they were asleep.' The word 'usually' seems unnecessarily extra here, so I suggest deleting it.

'Seth shook his head and turned to head for the front door' it seems odd to use the word "head" twice here, even if one is a noun while the other is a verb.

That's all the criticism I have to offer. Sorry if I seemed at all nitpicky.

It's interesting to see how things are shaping together and the characters' will connect. Now on to the next chapter

Between living and dreaming there is a third thing. Guess it.
— Antonio Machado