Equivalent Worlds - Prologue

by ScarlettFire

For Tenyo's Last Man Standing. Previously submitted via the LMS Club! 

Word Count: 1173, approx.

Progolue

Aboard the Thanatos, orbiting Earth - March, 2017

The Sun began to peek around the edge of the planet as Samira watched through the thick glass of the Thanatos' Viewing Deck, casting streaks of red-gold-pink across the planet's surface. It was as if she were watching a painter in action. Beautiful, she thought, leaning on the railing set a few feet from the glass. And a part of what makes me, me.

She sighed, tracing a finger over the glass, and frowning down at the swirl of blue-green-grey. It should have felt like going home, like finding a piece of the puzzle that was her. It didn't. It felt strange and alien, and nothing like home at all. Samira rested her head against the glass, squeezing her eyes shut. Where are you?

Sam had searched all over the damn galaxy, and had all the clues, all the rumours, had led her here. To this small, almost unnoticed planet. She sighed, opening her eyes to stare out the window again at the slowly rotating hunk of rock in front of her. She'd heard it was a very unique place, with a vast array of plant and animal life. And then, of course, there were the humans. According to every she'd ever read on them--and from her mother's first-hand accounts--they were pretty damned destructive. Yet they could also be incredibly peaceful.

For all of Earth's flaws, all it's civil wars and fighting, the pollution... It was a part of her. She couldn't deny that. Not when she was staring down at it, brow furrowed as she scanned over the clouds covering the part that faced the ship. She exhaled, breath fogging up the glass, and pulled away from it. She hold onto the rail tightly, the cool metal grounding her in the now.

A throat clearing behind her had Samira jerking upright and spinning to face the intruder. The tall, pale-haired man standing behind her smiled. She should've know he would sneak up on her. He liked to do that a lot, and always used some excuse about her hearing not being as good as his. She narrowed her gaze when he gave her a tiny smirk.

"Taking a look at the planet part of you comes from, hm?"

"It's quite pretty," she said, turning back to the view out the window. Her gaze roved over a particularly red-brown spot, then drifted to the deep blue-green that covered most of the planet, clouds swirling slowly over some of it. "Is that really where my brother is?"

"I'm sure," the man replied, coming to stand beside her. He rested a hand on her shoulder. Sam didn't have the heart to reject the comfort he was obviously giving her. They'd fled her father's home planet before Hakor or the others got to her. "Would you like me to have Emir scan the planet for you?"

"That would be helpful, yes." She listened to him walk away a few steps. "I'd like to land as close to him as possible. It's of utmost importance."

Her companion paused. "I understand."

"Thanks, Amerys. I owe you one."

"No, you don't."

She listened to his footsteps as he strode out of the room. They echoed on the metal flooring until he was no longer in the room. She relaxed a little and turned her back on the view of earth through the Viewing Deck's window. Inside, it was all grey metal with black accents and pale blue lighting. She liked the atmosphere of the Thanatos. It was calming. Usually. Recently, it had been full of tension. Now that they had evaded Hakor and the other group, they'd found a moment to calm down.

Amerys returned several minutes later with another man. "Emir has the results of the scan," he announced, touching her shoulder gently. "Would you like to see them?"

"Yes, please," she said, and turned to face the other dark-skinned alien who'd followed Amerys into the room. He inclined his head and approached a small, unobtrusive stand at the rear of the room. Samira watched as he set a small, clear orb on the stand and tapped it.

Stars exploded out of it, and the lights on the Viewing Deck dimmed. She turned to glance at the glass behind her. It had turned dark and opaque, cutting off her view of the planet below. The stars and galaxies span around her once, twice, three times--and then zoomed in on the little planet they were orbiting.

A small, purple dot lit up, hovering somewhere over Alaska. Samira squinted to read the word beside it and realised it was the Thanatos. She smiled and watched as Emir cycled the planet through half a rotation, and then zoomed in on the Southern Hemisphere.

"I'm sure I don't have to repeat my lessons on Earth," Emir commented dryly, making both her and Amerys look at him. Samira raised an eyebrow. "This little continent here is called Australia, and..." He made a sharp gesture with one hand, and the holographic map zoomed in on a city on the western shore of the country. "This is the city he's in."

"But that's..."

"Not very helpful?" Amerys offered with a frown. She exchanged a confused look with his frustrated one.

"Yes."

Emir sighed. "That's the best I can do, I'm afraid." He turned towards them, waving one hand over the over to shut down the map. The stars and galaxies were sucked into a tiny pinpoint of light before flickering out of existence. Samria frowned at the tiny orb sitting quite innocuously on its stand. "When I try to zoom in more, to triangulate his exact location, something throws me out of the system." Emir's face scrunched up. "Every. Single. Time."

"That's concerning," Amerys commented, slipping away from Sam's side to stand at the window. Slowly, it became clear again and the planet faded into view. She frowned at the older alien, a thousand questions running through her mind but no will to voice them. Amerys glanced back towards Emir. "I don't like that, you know. But he is there. We'll find him."

"As long as he's planet-side," Samira said, eyes drifting back to the orb that held their holographic map. "That's more than we had just a few years ago."

"It is," Amerys muttered, glancing towards her as she joined him by the window. Together, they stared down at the planet that held the answers to so many secrets, and possible an heir to the largest empire in the know universe--or at least, in the Lyra Constellation. How in all the universe was she supposed to track down her brother in an Earth city with no idea what he looked like or who was friend or foe? Sam didn't have the answer to that question, but she sure as all Lyra was going to figure it out quickly.

Xorsudite wrote a review...

Got burned out focusing on Breaker of Chains, so I decided to turn mine attention elsewhere.

There are great improvements in this piece over your older writing. You've definitely gotten better at establishing a rich cast, which I like. Samira is an intriguing and gritty heroine that I want to know more about.

The description is excellent; I can tell you've done some extensive research in order to capture a vivid view of Earth from space. Also liked the ship's description, and the part with the star globe.

Overall, I like this novel so far. Both ally and enemy seem to be looking for her brother for whatever reason, and the outcome of the plot depends on whom wins the race. As a fan of sci-fi stories, I sincerely look forward to seeing how this plays out.

See mine (notes) and /*edits*/ below.

The Sun began to peek around the edge of the planet as Samira watched through the thick glass of the Thanatos'/*s*/ Viewing Deck, casting streaks of red-gold-pink across the planet's surface. It was as if she were watching a painter in action. Beautiful, she thought, leaning on the railing set a few feet from the glass. And a part of what makes me, (change comma to ellipsis) me.

/*Samira gazed intently through the thick glass of the Thanatos's Viewing Deck. The sun barely peeked over the edge of the planet, casting streaks of red and gold across the surface. It was like watching a painter in action. Beautiful, she thought, leaning on the railing set a few feet from the glass. And a part of what makes me...me.*/ (note: if the noun is singular, there is always an "s" after the apostrophe. Example: Uranus's rings. The apostrophe only goes after the "s" if the noun is plural. Example: peoples' habits. Dogs' crap. Savvy?)

She sighed, tracing a finger over the glass, and frowning down at the swirl of blue-green-grey (since the oceans are described later on, I found this to be redundant). It should have felt like going home, like finding a piece of the puzzle that was her. It didn't. It felt strange and alien, and nothing like home at all. Samira rested her head against the glass, squeezing her eyes shut. Where are you?

Sam had searched all over the damn galaxy, and had (insert period, capitalise "all") all the clues, all the rumours, had led her here. To this small, almost unnoticed planet. She sighed, opening her eyes to stare out the window again/*,*/ at the slowly rotating hunk of rock in front of her. She'd heard it was a very unique place, with a vast array of plant and animal life. And then, of course, there were the humans. According to every /*book*/ she'd ever read on them--and from her mother's first-hand accounts--they were pretty damned destructive. Yet they could also be incredibly peaceful.

For all of Earth's flaws, all it's civil wars and fighting, the pollution... It was a part of her. She couldn't deny that. Not when she was staring down at it, brow furrowed as she scanned over the clouds covering the part that faced the ship. She exhaled, breath fogging up the glass, and pulled away from it. She hold /*held*/ onto the rail tightly, the cool metal grounding her in the now.

A throat clearing behind her had Samira jerking upright and spinning to face the intruder. The tall, pale-haired man standing behind her smiled. She should've know /*known*/ he would sneak up on her. He liked to do that a lot, and always used some excuse about her hearing not being as good as his. She narrowed her gaze when he gave her a tiny smirk.

Her companion paused. "I understand."

"Thanks, Amerys. I owe you one."

"No, you don't."(I liked this exchange. Shows the relationship between them)

She listened to his footsteps as he strode out of the room. They echoed on the metal flooring until he was no longer in the room. She relaxed a little and turned her back on the view of earth (capitalise "earth") through the Viewing Deck's window (redundant. We already know she's at the Viewing Deck, and looking out the window). Inside, it was all grey metal with black accents and pale blue lighting. She liked the atmosphere of the Thanatos. It was calming. Usually. Recently, it had been full of tension. Now that they had evaded Hakor and the other group, they'd found a moment to calm down.

Stars exploded out of it, and the lights /*throughout the deck*/ on the Viewing Deck dimmed. She turned to glance at the glass behind her. It had turned dark and opaque, cutting off her view of the planet below. The stars and galaxies span /*spun*/ around her once, twice, three times--and then zoomed in on the little planet they were orbiting.

Emir sighed. "That's the best I can do, I'm afraid." He turned towards them, waving one hand over the over /*other*/ to shut down the map. The stars and galaxies were sucked into a tiny pinpoint of light before flickering out of existence. Samria (you've spelt it as "Samira" and now "Samria". Which one is it?) frowned at the tiny orb sitting quite innocuously on its stand. "When I try to zoom in more, to triangulate his exact location, something throws me out of the system." Emir's face scrunched up. "Every. Single. Time." (this minor system failure caught mine attention. I wonder why he can't pinpoint his location, and whom might be interfering)

"It is," Amerys muttered, glancing towards her as she joined him by the window. Together, they stared down at the planet that held the answers to so many secrets, and possible /*possibly*/ an heir to the largest empire in the know /*known*/ universe--or at least, in the Lyra Constellation. How in all the universe was she supposed to track down her brother in an Earth city with no idea what he looked like or who was friend or foe? Sam didn't have the answer to that question, but she sure as all Lyra was going to figure it out quickly.

On to the next chapter.

ChiravianSkies wrote a review...

Hey! It’s the chirave canicthus, here to review your work! I’m going to be going through all that you’ve got up so far, so tell me if there’s anything in this review that you’ve already focused on so I don’t need to bug you later? :)

I really like the setting description in this! It immediately puts us in the story’s time and place. The colourful description of Earth is really nice and it’s cool that this isn’t just a one-time description. Your descriptions of space are really vivid. It’d be cool to get more description of the spaceship’s interior, though.

Everything feels really distant in this chapter. I can see that the characters are looking for something, or more so someone, but it definitely seems they’ve still got a cool head about this mission. They aren’t too nervous not to banter, showing how close all these characters seem, and it’s nice that the mission has more results already than it did last time. I definitely get a feeling of anticipation from this chapter, and I can tell we’re clearly in for a ride. We’ve got a destination, a vague-ish kind of objective, and the people willing to do it. I can only wonder why they’re looking for this person… It looks like this is going to be a very successful mission, but we wouldn’t have a plot if that was the case, would we?

Also, is Samira a human? She seems to act as if humans are some other species, and looks down onto them. This really points out that this is a future where they’ve transcended humanity’s wars and whatnot. Her mother’s clearly human, and when Amerys points out Earth is just *part* of her, then it sounds like she’s only half-human. I’m interested in seeing how this plays out in the future, to be honest. It’s cool that she’s written so we know she’s clearly different from humans/in a futuristic setting.

All in all, I really can’t wait for what’s going to happen next. In this prologue, everything seems set up and ready to go. I don’t understand why this isn’t a first chapter, though. I’ll probably find out in Chapter 1! Your characters are described really well and I can get a good visual on how they look. It really grounds your reader into the story. I really liked the way you described your setting, especially the planets! I hope that the rest of this story turns out really great and wish you the best for LMS!

BluesClues says...

K, super late to the party. I don't have an actual review, I thought this was pretty solid, but I just wondered about this.

urned to face the other dark-skinned alien

So, like "dark-skinned" but otherwise I'm not really sure what to picture. Honestly in the later chapters I've just been picturing them all as humans. I'm sure Sam and Seth look more or less human, since they are half human and Seth's been on earth long enough I think he would've attracted attention if he looked like he was from another planet. But what about the others? They're humanoid aliens, I guess, but do they just look like humans, or are there obvious "alien things" about their appearances?

RoseTulipLily wrote a review...

Greetings! Your story caught me attention and so here I am! Let's get started with this review!

Criticism:
"It felt strange and alien, and nothing like home at all." While this isn't wrong, I think it might be quicker and better to say "It felt strange, alien, and nothing like home at all."

'She *held* onto the rail tightly, the cool metal grounding her in the now.' Is the correct way to say that.

'Sam didn't have the heart to reject the comfort he was obviously giving her.' Again, while this isn't wrong, I think it might be quicker and better to say 'Sam didn't have the heart to reject his comfort.'

I also suggest you do not alternate between Sam and Samira because it might be confusing.

Criticism aside, I liked this. It was good beginning and caught my interest almost instantly. I am really excited in watching the characters develop. Keep writing ;)

Sureal wrote a review...

Hi there, ScarlettFire

So, I really like your premise. It feels (potentially) refreshing. I hope you manage to realise its potential.

I also like the way you write, especially the way you used colour. The Prologue was an easy read and you hooked me from the beginning.

There are some things I think you could improve on, of course. Let's run through them:

- Your description of humans (capable of war ... and peace) from an alien point of view doesn't feel particularly original or interesting. Noticeably, it feels like something a human would say. I can't but help feel this may be a missed opportunity to explore both the alien-ness of your protagonist and perhaps the nature of humanity in a more original way.

- Coming off of the last point ... your characters feel very human for aliens. Maybe that's intentional and the aliens in your story really are meant to be just like humans, but it felt a little jarring.

- I dislike not knowing what your characters look like. My gut says you don't need to go in-depth with painting a vivid picture at this point, but I do think drip-feeding clues would help make the Prologue more visual.

- I'm not sure you understand what 'alien' means. It doesn't really mean 'someone from space', it means 'someone from somewhere else'. From the perspective of a Martian, for example, a human on Mars would be the alien. Your protagonist should not think of herself or her colleagues as aliens.

Perhaps some (or all!) of my suggestions are unfair and miss what you're trying to get at. That's fine. Have a muse on them and take or leave as you see fit. At any rate, I enjoyed your prologue and I'll be keeping an eye out for the first chapter.

GoldenQuill wrote a review...

Hey Scarlett! It's Quill here with a review.

I tend to be nitpicky, so let's dive into that and I'll comment on finer elements in a bit.

According to every

Did you mean, according to everything?

Also, so far, you've used "she sighed" twice. Attempt to stray away from repeating things exactly multiple times!

To this small, almost unnoticed planet.

I think you meant 'unnoticeable'. Later, you talk about the civil wars, and how this plant is a part or the main character -- so it is noticed, just maybe its size makes it unnoticeable.

all it's civil wars

Wrong form of "its".

She hold onto the rail tightly

Did you mean "held"?

They'd fled her father's home planet before Hakor or the others got to her.

This sentence seemed sudden and out of context with the rest. I'd try refining it to fit in or just leaving it out altogether. It reads as random exposition, which is not what I think you're going for.

She liked the atmosphere of the Thanatos. It was calming. Usually. Recently, it had been full of tension. Now that they had evaded Hakor and the other group, they'd found a moment to calm down.

This section, too, reads a bit strangely. "It was calm. No it wasn't. Wait, yes, it is again." It also tells me it's calming without showing me how it is. I'd use a bit more description here, if possible.

"Yes, please," she said, and turned to face the other dark-skinned alien who'd followed Amerys into the room.

Yeah, but, aren't they all aliens? It's weird to start putting distinction in now. I guess you just meant it as one would say human, but it is kind of weird.

Samira squinted to read the word beside it and realised it was the Thanatos.

When writing, it's better for you, the author, to refer to a person by a single name. If I were you, I'd choose either Sam or Samira and stick rather than changing. The characters can refer to her as either, but it's better for her to be one by you to avoid confusion.

When you use a pronoun after a name, you tell me that that pronoun = whomever had the previous name. Amerys goes by "he" pronouns. Thus, change "she" to the name of the other character you were talking about.

Emir's face scrunched up. "Every. Single. Time."

Hasn't Emir been doing this for only a few minutes? Amerys just told you to do this, right? Why act like it's been acting up for a long time?

in the know universe--or at least,

This may be a stylistic choice, but I think grammatically, you need spaces between the word in the dashes.
Thus, it would look like "universe -- or at least".
I believe you did this one other time, too, so it applies there as well.

This was great! I love the characters! Your setting is amazing, your description fascinating, and I want to learn more. I love the names, too. There's so much mystery and I love it. You're doing great at not exposing too much, but keeping us interested. You're also using all of your senses to your advantage, a wonderful thing!
I'd watch out for using the same sentence structures many times in a row, repeating words, and time, as sometimes you rush over elapsed time, confusing us to how long something's been going on.
But all in all, this was awesome!

Always keep writing!

Once here on Young Writers Society, in chat, chickens wanted variety. They complained to Nate and after debate became funky orangutans silently.
— Mea