Another Short Film Script

by RyharTopter

[THIS, LIKE THE LAST ONE I POSTED WAS ABOUT THE FACE OF CHANGE. THE ONE THAT I POSTED EARLIER WAS THE SUCCESSFUL ONE WE CHOSE FOR OUR FINAL SHORT FILM BUT THIS WAS LIKE A DISASTER. THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY DODGE BALL AND ALL OF THAT PROBLEMS SO WE NEVER GOT THE CHANCE TO MAKE THIS INTO A REAL SHORT FILM SO YEAH HOPE YOU LIKE IT]

CHARACTERS:

REFEREE (EXTRA ONLY)

TEAM ONE PLAYER 1 (OP1)

TEAM ONE PLAYER 2 (OP2)

TEAM ONE PLAYER 3 (OP3)

TEAM ONE PLAYER 4 (OP4)

TEAM TWO PLAYER 1 (TP1)

TEAM TWO PLAYER 2 (TP2)

TEAM TWO PLAYER 3 (TP3) - THE GOOD ONE

TEAM TWO PLAYER 4 (TP4)

SCENE ONE

(SCENE ONE STARTS WITH ALL PLAYERS ON COURT, PLAYING DODGE BALL. TEAM ONE IS ON THE MIDDLE.)

OP1: RUN!

OP2: TO THE MIDDLE!

(ALL TEAM ONE PLAYERS RUN TO THE MIDDLE.)

OP3: GOOD JOB!

OP4: KEEP IT UP!

OP5: EYE AT THE BALL!

(CAMERA PANS TO TEAM TWO AT THE SIDES. TP4 CATHCES THE BALL AT TRIES TO HIT ANOTHER PLAYER; THE PLAYER DODGES THE BALL)

TP1: (INSERT NAME OF TP4)!

TP2: WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

TP1: KEEP IT TOGETHER!

TP4: I'M SORRY! OKAY?!

TP3: TRY BETTER THIS SHOT.

(THE BALL IS GIVEN BACK TO TP4 AND THROWS IT AT A PLAYER; IT MISSES AGAIN. TEAM ONE WINS.)

TP2: IT'S YOUR ENTIRE FAULT! THANKS!

(TEAM TWO GOES TO ANOTHER LOCATION)

TP1: WHAT HAPPENED?!

TP2: WE TALKED ABOUT THIS LAST WEEK!

TP4: I'M REALLY SORRY!

TP1: YOU KNOW WHAT?! I SHOULD PUT YOU OUT THE TEAM.

TP4: WHAT?!

TP3: WILL EVERYBODY JUST SHUT UP?!

(ALL PLAYERS SILENT)

TP3: WE ALL HAD OUR OWN MISTAKES. DON'T TRY TO BLAME IT ON ONE PERSON.

TP1: HMPH!

TP3: YOU KNOW WHAT WE LACK?! TEAMWORK! T-E-A-M-W-O-R-K!

TP2: I THINK (INSERT NAME OF TP3) HAS A POINT.

TP4: HOW ABOUT WE CHANGE OUR STRATEGY?

(SCENE ONE ENDS)

SCENE TWO

(SCENE TWO STARTS AT THE CLASSROOM; A POSTER ABOUT A DODGEBALL TOURNAMENT IS BEING POSTED ON A WALL. ALL PLAYERS NOTICE THE POSTER)

TP1: WHAT'S THIS?

(CAMERA VIDEOS THE POSTER)

TP2: WHAT DO YOU THINK, GUYS?

TP4: I THINK IT'S A BAD IDEA.

TP3: I THINK IT'S THE BEST IDEA!

TP4: ARE YOU CRAZY?! WE JUST LOST YESTERDAY!

TP3: SO WHAT? I MEAN CRISIS CAN HAVE A HIDDEN OPPORTUNITY, RIGHT?

TP1: AT LEAST WE CAN GET A PRIZE........

TP2: WHAT ABOUT OUR ASSIGNMENTS?

TP3: JUST DO IT IN SCHOOL, AS SOON AS THE ASSIGNMENTS HAVE BEEN GIVEN.

TP4: I DON'T HAVE ANY MORE TIME TO PLAY MY GAME!

TP3: GUYS, IN CHANGE, WE NEED TO SACRIFICE SOME THINGS. EVEN OUR FREE TIME.

TP1: LET'S START PRACTICE TOMORROW.

(SCENE TWO ENDS)

SCENE THREE

(TEAM TWO PLAY DODGE BALL WITH EACH OTHER. EVERYONE IS HELPING EACH OTHER.)

(ANOTHER SHOT SHOWS THEM LAUGHING IN A BENCH OR SOMETHING)

[THE SHOT ZOOMS OUT (CAMERAMAN WALKS BACKWARDS) AND AT THE LAST SECONDS, OP4 IS SEEN LOOKING AT THEM, BUT IS NOT LOOKING AT THE CAMERA]

(SCENE THREE ENDS)

SCENE FOUR

(SCENE FOUR STARTS AS FOUR PLAYERS ARE READY FOR TOURNAMENT)

TP1: ARE WE ALL READY?

TP2: WAIT.

(TP2 LOOKS AT A POSTER THE LAST TIME, MAKING SURE THEY DON'T FORGET ANYTHING)

TP4: ARE WE ALL READY?

TP3: REMEMBER GUYS, TEAMWORK!

TP2: WAIT. LOOK AT THIS.

(ALL PLAYERS LOOK AT THE WORDS POINTED BY TP2)

TP2: WE NEED FIVE PLAYERS ON THE COURT!

TP4: BUT WE'RE ONLY FOUR!

TP1: WHAT SHOULD WE DO?

(SHOT DIFFERS. SHOT FOCUSES ON THE SHOES OF OP4. OP4 BOUNCES THE BALL.)

OP4: YOU HAVE ANOTHER SPOT FOR ME?

(ALL TEAM TWO PLAYERS LOOK AT THE SPEAKER; SHOT DIFFERS. SHOT IS NOW FOCUSED ON THE FACES OF ALL THE PLAYERS.)

TP1: WHAT?!

OP4: YEAH, I'M HERE. I NOTICED YOU LEARNED YOU VALUE OF TEAMWORK, AND I'M ALSO INTERESTED IN THE TOURNAMENT. SO... I WANTED TO JOIN YOUR TEAM.

TP2: OH MY GOODNESS. THANKS!

TP4: WHAT WILL WE DO WITHOUT YOU?

TP3: THANKS BUDDY.

(SCENE FOUR ENDS)

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:08 am
nwakaemechinonso12 wrote a review...

Scripting writing is a craft that must be understood - if you want to be an outstanding screen writer you must pay attention to the rules.

You did not pay attention to the rules of screen writing and that makes your script boring and unprofessional.

Honestly, i commend your effort so far, you are able to manage your character and dialogue properly - it gives me the courage to go through your script.

anyway, i frown with the title of your script; my dear, the title of your script is a crucial element of your writing - please work on that in your next writing; i will be glad if you do as i request.

CHARACTERS:

REFEREE (EXTRA ONLY)

TEAM ONE PLAYER 1 (OP1)

TEAM ONE PLAYER 2 (OP2)

TEAM ONE PLAYER 3 (OP3)

TEAM ONE PLAYER 4 (OP4)

TEAM TWO PLAYER 1 (TP1)

TEAM TWO PLAYER 2 (TP2)

TEAM TWO PLAYER 3 (TP3) - THE GOOD ONE

TEAM TWO PLAYER 4 (TP4)

i guess these are your character but you did not have characters name. (in a good script character name is not suppose to be missing).

I will classify your writing on Short script and they are terminology of writing such script - i will be giving you some tips and i hope you will implement them in your next writing.

A short film script can be a great calling card for a writer. Short films aren’t a lesser form of cinematic storytelling. In fact writing them requires the exact same skills as writing a feature length script - though on a smaller scale.

There are 7 rules you should remember when writing a short film:

but i will be giving you just three.

1. The Shorter the Better

A short film can be anything from fifteen seconds to forty five minutes in length. Make your short film script as short as possible because the shorter the short, the less costly it will be to produce

2. Make It Visual

“Film is a visual medium”. “Show, don’t tell.” Those are the golden rules of screenwriting the gurus keep telling us. Yet it’s astonishing to see how talky most scripts are. Film is about telling stories in pictures, which is the most economical way of telling a story – and when you make a short film, economy is everything.

3. Engage the Reader

Since you have so little time to make an impression the impact of page one is crucial, just as it is crucial to hook the reader in the first 10 pages of a feature length script. What is the world of the film? Do we root for the main character? Does the world and story of the film feel authentic? The ending is also essential as it’s rare to truly feel moved at the end of a short, so work towards a meaningful, satisfying ending.

Generally, you did very well and i know you will do better in your next writing.

Happy you..

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:16 am
IndianAtHeart wrote a review...

Hey hello! How's it going for you? I'm Ind and I'm here with a review for you.

I like the concept here. It's not cliché but not that uncommon too. Your poem made me think about "Toy Story" the movie I adore! I loved how you made the poem rhyme time to time. Had a great fun reading this! ^_^ Your previous reviewer senor Odd has already left you a very helpful review and I think it's unnecessary to repeat them.

But, yes, :3 I think you should try using spaces between the lines. Stanzas should make your work look perfect! The use of punctuations was little messy at places, like you didn't use periods enough and all. The last three lines again I found little weird and didn't exactly understand what you tried to mean. So, that's it. Great read, overall!

Have a great day and keep writing! x

Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:49 am
nosirrah123 wrote a review...

Why is everything written in all-caps? It makes this difficult to read without imagining all of the people shouting.

There are a couple instances of confusing word choice in this script. I noticed this one in particular:

"TRY BETTER THIS SHOT."

Did you mean time instead of shot?

There were also two references to things that I did not understand:

"JUST DO IT IN SCHOOL, AS SOON AS THE ASSIGNMENTS HAVE BEEN GIVEN."

Do what in school? This is never made clear, and I don't really understand it.

"SO WHAT? I MEAN CRISIS CAN HAVE A HIDDEN OPPORTUNITY, RIGHT?"

Who/what is Crisis? Is this just a cultural reference that's gone over my head?

I would suggest a better excuse for why the guy joins their team and to provide names for the players in order to make the script easier to read.

It is difficult to critique this a whole, as I can tell that it is a school project, and that you don't really intend to put a whole lot of time and resources into it's production. For a very simple story it's perfectly functional.

"If I see an American in real life or a kiwi in a blockbuster, it feels surreal and weird, and like a funny trip."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi