z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence

The Case Of The Sleepy Town Named Death [Ch.3]

by EmeraldLinks


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Dear Olie,

I am concerned that you aren't working as hard as you usually do. You've also been acting a bit suspicious when you go into the archives, we have permission to sweep and clear your house. Tomorrow I want you to be at work, patrolling the neighborhood, we've been losing to many citizens lately. So, if you don't come to work tomorrow, we will be sweeping your house for anything suspicious.

Sincerely, Officer McKinley

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Case Of The Sleepy Neighborhood Named Death

Chapter 3: CANT BE TRUSTED

Location: Streets/Abandoned House

Date: 4/30/17

Resident: Officer Olie

Olie walked to the police station, tired and upset. He could be home sitting on his ass all day investigating who the murderer is. Instead, he has to spend the rest of his day patrolling the neighborhood. He never took the time to see all the criminal activity around, but they aren't as big as the killings. Just robbing's and shoplifting, nothing big. Finally, something exciting came up.

"Officer Olie, open to calls."

"Hello, 911, someone reported someone breaking into an abandoned house. An old, olive green one..."

Olie quickly spoke into the phone and spoke back the dispatcher.

"I'm on my way!"

Olie flipped on his sirens and sped off to the abandoned house. Olie wondered why anyone would want to go in there, nothing's in there except for the paint that’s peeling off the walls. Something more has to be there.Olie arrived with a couple of other Officers at the scene, they all there guns already drawn.

"Come out with your hands up! If you resist we will be forced to make lethal actions!"

No one came out of the house. The Officers charged up to the door and threw a flashbang in. They stormed into the building yelling "get down on the ground!" No one was there. After searching the building for anything, they have noticed that whatever was there was taken, Olie did. He didn't mention anything about it. A gas bomb rolled into the room. Olie ran out of the house, the others coughed and collapsed onto the ground. He ran towards a supply crate that SWAT dropped off. Inside there was a gas mask and an MP5K. Olie ran back into the house with the gas mask now on, and an SMG in hand. He saw someone crawling out of a window, he fired at the window, managing to hit the mans foot. He fell out the window and than ran untill he was out of sight.

Olie pulled out his phone.

"Shit, 911, dispatch all SWAT members, tell them to look for a Masked Man with a black tranch coat"

"On it, making sure news stations make the announcment for everyone to stay in there home"

"Good, thank you."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location: ???

Date: 5/2/17

Resident: Private Ian

All Ian remembers after waking up is being knocked out after being gassed in a room. He looks around trying to see where he is. His vision is so screwed up, everything id green and blurry. That’s not his vision. Ian appears to be surrounded in some sort of green goo, he cant feel it though. He sticks his hand out as far as he can. He suddenly feels a quick breeze of air but thane his hand starts to burn like hell.

Ian though to him self for a while, think about what the hell this shit is, and why the hell he cant feel anything.

"What the hell is going on here..."

Ian's stuck in some sort of container, but, the thing is, he's dead inside of that container, he just doesn’t know it. He's just his soul, trapped in this strange substance, another two containers are next to him. He can see one with Purples name carved onto it, and the other one has 10 zodiac symbols on it. This isn't going to end well...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location: State Park

Date: 1/1/16

Child: Leo

It's a wonderful day at the state park, Leo is having a nice walk with her Mother and Father. Leo stopped for a minute to look at a rabbit that had walked up to her. When she turned around to start walking again with her parents, she noticed that she was by her self.

She looked around a bit. "Mommy? Daddy?"

"Excuse me, little girl?"

A man with dark green hair wearing a neon green top hat walked up to her. He looked down at the girl with his glowing yellow eye's.

"I happen to know where your parents are, I can show you the way."

The man held something behind his back, trying to hide it. Leo saw something sharp and shiny sticking out from behind the mans back.

"What's that?" She pointed to the object behind his back.

"That’s not important, what's important is that we get you back to your parents"

Leo followed the man, and before going onto an off road trail, she asked him a question.

"What's your name?"

"My name?" The man asked.

He looked down at the girl once he got deeper into the forest on the off road trail. He pulled the shiny and sharp object out from behind his back.

"My name, is Emerald."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location: ???

Date: 5/4/17

Resident: Officer Olie

"What the hell is this thing?" Olie looked at one of the three glowing green containers.

He observed all of the tubes, noticing the carvings on them, Purple, Ian, The zodiac signs. Olie picked up a paper with the same exact zodiac signs on them. The Officer next to him spoke.

"Looks like we found the kidnapped..."

"This is so screwed u- wait a minute, that’s not even gl- OW! SON OF A BITCH!"

The Officer looked at him laughing. "HAHA! Did you just stick your hand in there? HAHA!"

"I WAS CURIUOS! HOLY SHIT IT BURNS!"

"Olie, quite down, we don’t want to be caught"

"Too late" A masked man walked up behind them.

"Oh shit! Olie! Put that bitch down!"

"I WOULD IF MY HANDS WEREN'T ON FIRE! HOLY SHIT!"

Olie finally took his pistol out and shot the masked man in the shoulder. He flew backwards and stumbled. Olie looked at the top of the containers to find some sort of wheel on top of them. The Officer jumps on top of the Masked Man and pins him to the ground.

"Keep him down! I'm getting rid of these machines!"

Olie ran to each container and turned the wheels on top of them. The goo inside of them flowed out and onto the floor, and quickly got absorbed into the rock hard ground under them.

"You idiot! You just killed us al- ARGH!"

The Masked Man fell to the ground, passed out, his eye's started to glow red. He stood up and looked at Olie and the Officer. He looked down at the goo spread across the floor. He once again looked back up at the two Officers. He talked in a deep voice.

"You've released us, thank you, now we have a new mission, destroy this weak world..."

The man's voice sounded as if more than one person was talking, it was disturbing. Olie aimed his gun at the Masked Man and pulled the trigger. The man caught the bullet in midair and threw it at the Officers head, with the same speed as it had when being shot out of the gun. It went straight through the Officers head. Olie stood there, scared he was going to die next.

Gas started to fill up the room. Olie collapsed onto the floor. There's almost no one left to save this place... There's no hope...

[CH.4: "OUT OF LUCK" COMING SOON]


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:30 am
Rydia wrote a review...



Hola! I've not read the previous chapters, so if I question anything which you feel you've covered in an earlier part, please feel free to ignore me.

1. There's a lot of commas in that first letter and people don't usually put a lot of commas in their letters so it feels very fake. Maybe try to trim them down a bit as they're also somewhat misplaced, for example: 'Tomorrow I want you to be at work patrolling the neighbourhood' is a complete phrase and then you have the first comma. After 'when you go into the archives' I'd even be tempted to have a full stop or a semi colon there. Most likely a full stop as semi colons aren't often used by people when writing letters either. Unless you want to give the impression that he's very precise and likes good grammar, in which case a semi colon would fit better.

2. Aren't they going to sweep him home anyway? It seems odd that they'd go to the trouble of getting permission to sweep his room but say 'as long as you come to work like a good little boy, we'll not sweep your room'. That seems like a really weird threat.

3.

Olie quickly spoke into the phone and spoke back the dispatcher.
Spoke back is awkward, perhaps responded to the dispatcher?

4.
Olie flipped on his sirens and sped off to the abandoned house. Olie wondered why anyone would want to go in there, nothing's in there except for the paint that’s peeling off the walls. Something more has to be there.Olie arrived with a couple of other Officers at the scene, they all there guns already drawn.
You need an extra space between 'has to be there' and 'Olie arrived' but the reason I picked out this paragraph is that you need to use he. Every single time you talk about Olie, you use his name, but it's more natural to interchange this with he or his and it will make your writing flow better.

5.
After searching the building for anything, they have not noticed that whatever was there was taken, Olie did.
How does he know that something was there and is gone now? Your writing is very light on description and heavy on action which doesn't pull your reader into the story. You need to add more details like maybe he notices a part of the carpet that's clean while the rest is covered in dust - clearly an object rested here recently.

6.
He didn't mention anything about it. A gas bomb rolled into the room. Olie ran out of the house, the others coughed and collapsed onto the ground. He ran towards a supply crate that SWAT dropped off. Inside there was a gas mask and an MP5K. Olie ran back into the house with the gas mask now on, and an SMG in hand. He saw someone crawling out of a window, he fired at the window, managing to hit the mans foot. He fell out the window and than ran untill he was out of sight.
There's too much going on here. I don't even know what an SMG is and this feels so action heavy that I start just skimming over the words. You need to slow it down. Also, 'untill' should be 'until' and 'tranch coat' a few lines down is meant to be 'trench coat'.

7.
"On it, making sure news stations make the announcment announcement for everyone to stay in there their home"
This feels very telling and not like natural dialogue. People in this situation will normally just say 'on it' and then get to it. You can have him say something to someone in the background that Olie overhears like 'Hey Patrick, get a news announcement out. Everyone stays in their homes tonight, okay?' That would be more natural.

8. You need to get someone to have a really good read through of this as there are lots of grammar and spelling mistakes. A friend or family member may be the best approach as agents and publishers are likely to put down a manuscript if they see too many errors. Just get someone to look it over once you've reached the final version.

9. The end of Ian's section feels like a narrator's voice is speaking instead of Ian and the view point change is weird. We should only know things which Ian knows and see through his eyes. Taking us out of character like this makes it hard to feel like we're actually immersed in the story.

10. There's a big gap between Olie running out of that house and looking at the containers - how does he get there? Where are they? You can't take short-cuts like that without losing your reader. I'm sure it's more interesting to write these action scenes, but they're not interesting to read because your reader can't follow the flow of your story.

Overall

Mostly this story just moves too fast and there's not enough description or characterisation. I like an action packed novel as much as anyone, but this just doesn't flow and with no downtime, all that action gets to be very boring to read. You need to make us care about the characters first before you have them running around shooting things. Otherwise, we're not invested and we don't care if those things decide to shoot back.

I hope that helps a little!

Heather xx




User avatar
216 Reviews


Points: 10184
Reviews: 216

Donate
Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:58 am
kevin25a wrote a review...



Oh. My. God. Zodiac killer series, I love these! I'm so looking forward to your next chapter. I really hope you write it and publish it soon. Personally I was born four days too soon. I'm a bull, Taurus. But Taurus represents impulsiveness, greed, and the desire for power. I don't have any of those. I like the quiet solitude of being alone or in a silent area. I would starve so others could eat, and I would probably refuse any power being offered. I suit Gemini better, so I was born four days too soon.

As for your story, a town named death, anyone who chooses to live in a town named death deserves to fucking die. Painfully and slowly, and tortured. It's like living in a town named murder, you deserve the fate for moving to a place named something like that.

Personally I loved the story and look forward to the next chapter.





In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
— Robert Frost