Lobster Girl

by Remington38

*This is just a rough draft, but I am testing out the idea and how people react.

Lobster Girl

(inspired by Tim Burton Oyster Boy)

Her parents had a child, exactly three years after the day they were wed.

They called her Lobster Girl, because she would take hot showers until she turned bright red.

They did not have much money, they often were in debt.

The father was a junkie and the mother liked to bet.

Lobster Girl liked the showers and it's how she could control the heat at will.

Her parents didn't like Lobster Girl, because of their water bill.

Her parents told her to stop or they will surely make her.

Lobster Girl ignored their usual threats, she saw no immediate danger.

On one evening they have not a bite to eat,

Except the one shriveled, and moldy half a beet.

Lobster Girl took her shower, the usual boiling hot.

Her parents decided to eat her, she screamed just like a lobster in the pot. 

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:02 am
Letttisssyyya wrote a review...

Hi!

I like how it went. Morbid when you take it in a symbolized way. The plot was strangely interesting. The ending's a bit hanging and insightful. Nice symbolism. A slice of life poetry. This really happens for some people. The parents are having a hard time earning money but still spend for unnecessities, and children not listening to their parents doing otherwise what they were told not to do. It's really unhealthy for a family to have such conflict reason (regarding with family income where uncertainty will be setting in about the future) and truth be told, others ended up like the lobster girl. I very much like it. It was nicely written using one's own writing style. Looking forward for more good reads. Keep it cool.

Remington38 says...

Thank you :)

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:36 am
Que wrote a review...

Hello there!
Even though it said it was horror, my mind wasn't thinking horror. xD I thought it would be nice or sad but nooo. :)

Okay. I like it in terms of plot, but at the same time it's a bit weird. All ahe likes is taking hot showers? And she doesn't care that the water bill is huge and there's nothing to eat? In the line about her father and mother, it's easy to see that it's not a great family, but I still want to know a bit more about Lobster Girl because she seems kind of flat and strange.

For the most part, the length and rhyme of your lines is fine, but there are just a few places I'd like to mention.

I would definitely take out the and here, maybe replacing it with a semicolon.

The first line of this bit seems a bit long, I wonder if you could cut it down a bit? In the second line, don't forget you're writing in past tense! ;) Once again, I might take out the and in the third line. I think it throws it off a bit. And maybe I'd add "when" to the begging of the last line? It kind of sounds better to me like that.

Whew! Boy! What an ending. You really caught me off guard there. Good job! It's certainly very interesting. I wonder now what this Oyster Boy thing is. Good luck with revising and such!

-Falco

Remington38 says...

Thank you so much :) I totally recommend The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy by Tim Burton. It is literally just a bunch of poems very similar to mine that are dark and really twisted (not for kids). A lot of his poems are short with not much plot and are very flat, some have only like two lines, but they are more meant to just be enjoyed for what they are and you can choose to fill in the gaps if you wish. Thank you for your review and I hope you have a wonderful evening.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:04 am
Aleta says...

I wasn't expecting that morbid turn. Very nice.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:52 am
AngelBunnyroll wrote a review...

I love this, right off the bat I love this rough draft. I love how it's morbid, I love how it's beautifully poetic and I love how it flows really nice! Have you ever heard of the lobster man? I was kind of expecting almost something like that but I was happily proved wrong! I love how it was inspired by Tim Burton as well! sorry this isn't much of a review and more of an overly excited comment but I like this poem, nice writing!

Remington38 says...

Thank you so much :) I am glad you liked it.

The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes