z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A little too late .

by Amnesia


The Following letter contains something Id rather not talk too much about with people because it sends a stabbing pain into my heart. Im writing this because writing helps me make sense of things. Criticize but understand that no changes will be made as this is just a letter to someone important that will never be read by anyone but you all. 

~Love Mem

Dear Dad,

You promised you wouldn't die until I was old, you promised that the cancer was gone. You told me that everything would be better now that it was gone, that we'd go and find a house to live in and make our own. You promised that you wouldn't leave me again. You told me that I made you proud but for some reason I feel like a failure. I cant even handle my emotions though I try. You dont know what it did to me to see you take your last breath and to feel your cold skin under my fingers. I cant comprehend that youre in the ground and im here. Writing to you, a letter you will never see. Im the one left with the memories from being a small child of you and I laughing and having a grand time. I dont want to believe that youre actually gone forever. I still try to call you all the time but no one ever answers. I tried to text you and i got a message that the number was invalid. I fight my common knowledge and tell myself that youre alive and just fine. 

Remember when i was 3? We built a communication box at the Air Force Base? Remember when I was 2? We build a stage at Reid Park, Remember when we built a clubhouse. Remember when you got me a dalmnation. Remember when my preschool teacher had to pry a crying me off you? Remember when I was confused when you werent there when i was rushed to the hospital with a big gash on my forehead and they had to give me stitches and i was scared? Remember when I had night terrors as a 7 year old and youd come and hold me until I fell asleep in your arms? Remember for me those late nights we'd stay up after mom went to bed and we watched Finding Nemo and Antique Roadshow and history programs until the early morning and cuddled on the floor of the living room wrapped in a blanket. 

These and more run around in my brain all day dad...I love you daddy.

~Boo


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:06 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there Mem. May I call you Mem?
Anyways it's just lizzy dropping by real quick, so without a further ado, let the reviewing begin.

So I'm not quite sure how to review this because this is a more emotional and personal piece. I'm a bit afraid of messing this up in some way but everything needs two reviews, so I guess I'll try my best.

Overall I really liked the story because it was so emotional and somewhat heartbreaking. I mean that sounds like a really bad reason to like your story but I liked the narrative of everything. And also how it didn't really go in chronological order because it seemed like you were jumping between important thoughts.
^Does any of that make sense? I really hope so.

One thing I should say something about but I'm not sure if it's a style choice or not. There are zero apostrophes in any of the contractions. At first I figured it was just a couple of typos but by the time I got down to the 10th time, I started to think it was just a style choice. So if you could just clear that up for me, that would be great.

Tributes are always nice to read, no matter who the story is being made out to. I recently lost my grandfather to cancer so I can understand what it's like. So sorry for your loss and I hope you are doing better. It's bad that so many people can relate to this certain event but that's the way life goes.

Well I guess that's really about all I have for this collection of comments. Hopefully this will prove helpful to you or at least make you feel better about your piece.
Have a nice day.
Happy RevMo.
Lizzy
The Queen of the Book Clubs




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:46 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Hi Remembrance!

I'm not going to give a typical review on this because I think with personal pieces, they have to come from the heart and that rawness is part of their beauty. I'm so sorry you lost your dad and I think this is a lovely tribute to him - the memories you share in the piece are very sweet and I think choosing memories of building/ creating things is particularly poignant. Perhaps if you were to write a letter to a loved one which you do plan on giving them, I'd suggest running it through a grammar check but the actual content of this is well chosen and it's easy to tell that these are very special and personal moments between you both!

You should definitely keep this in a safe place somewhere because while it will always be something you find hard to think/ talk about, remembering the people we've loved can be heart warming as well and it helps us to remember that they live on through us.

I think you're very brave to share this and it's good to write about these things.

All the best,

Heather




User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 155
Reviews: 49

Donate
Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:38 am
Pernicus says...



I know how you feel , my father died two years ago. I completely understand the writing thing, at the start I wanted to tell everyone about it too, I wanted people to know, not for selfish reasons but because I couldn't bare to see his anonymity in death. I'm here if you ever want to talk, and if it has happened recently maybe I could even provide some insight into the further future. I will end with a quote I became fond of recently: "Keep your chin up, someday there will be happiness again." -Brian Bedford




User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 155
Reviews: 49

Donate
Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:31 am
Pernicus says...



I know how you feel , my father died two years ago. I completely understand the writing thing, at the start I wanted to tell everyone about it too, I wanted people to know, not for selfish reasons but because I couldn't bare to see his anonymity in death. I'm here if you ever want to talk, and if it has happened recently maybe I could even provide some insight into the further future. I will end with a quote I became fond of recently: "Keep your chin up, someday there will be happiness again." -Brian Bedford




User avatar


Points: 200
Reviews: 0

Donate
Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:12 pm
View Likes
danielkyuli says...



Masterpiece.!
More like a real life story!
And yes. I was here to read it





The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances.
— Unknown