Elderfor - Prologue and Chapter I

by RadDog13579, Sol

*I found this in my Google Drives and decided to post it here. Its pretty old (I think I wrote it when I was 10).*

Prologue

You will never get away with this,” says the unmistakably raspy voice of Alquion, the leader of the elves.

“Oh, but I will,” replied the cold, cruel voice of Adramelech, king of the ghouls. Lightning flashed down from the heavens and hits the ground between the two enemies. Adramelech raises his hand, and Alquion starts to choke.

“No, not today,” Alquion barely managed to say with the limited air he had left. Then the ground trembles. The oak trees that surrounded the scene lift off the ground twenty feet in the air and Alquion starts to breathe again.

“No! You’re not getting away again!” rages Adramelech, and begins to raise his hand, but suddenly trees crash down on him. Adramelech managed to create a blood-red barrier just in time, shielding his body from the incoming trees.

As soon as the trees hit Adramelech’s shield, both the trees and the shield explode in unison with a crack and a pop that was heard across all the land of Elderfor. Suddenly, the thousands of pieces of the shield flew towards Alquion at lightning speed.

Adramelech gestures forwards, and the shards grow as they zoom through the sky towards Alquion, who transforms the shards into water drops and sends them back towards Adramelech. Adramelech sends the water back towards Alquion but electrocutes the water first. Alquion wasn't quick enough this time, he was surrounded by the water, and starts jerking left and right uncontrollably.

“You are not powerful enough to defeat me Alquion,” Adramelech says in a strangely calm voice. The rain splatters the ground creating the sound of dropping marbles. Adramelech raises his blackened hand.

“The Magic of Elderfor is not to be used for evil, it is a gift… that you do not deserve,” mutters Alquion, but with the snap of his fingers, Adramelech summons ten lightning bolts that tear upon Alquion, turning his body to dust. The howling wind picks up Aquino's remains and they get blown away into the dark stormy night. Adramelech continues to walks down the not so clear trail.

“I will take down Elderfor,” Adramelech says to himself. His long ears blow in the wind.

“I don’t care what the cost, I will kill everybody that stands in the way,” Adramelech says. And as he walks off into the darkness he cackles an evil laugh. Then in the blink of an eye, he disappears in a cloud of blood-red smoke that filled the air with an awful stench. Alquion was dead. The elves had no leader.

Come on! Do it!” Braern, my best friend, says in an annoyed and anxious tone.

“No, I can’t!” I say trying to explain it to him, he didn't understand.

“Come on Ollict, it’s not going to hurt anybody!” says Braern again pressuring me.

“I can’t! I don't,” I say stubborn as I choke.

“The Magic is a gift and is not meant to play with or levitate trees out of the ground,” I say, then walk away refusing. I have free will Braern can't tell me what to do.

Ollict Christervene. That's me. I am an elf that lives in Elderfor. And I’m supposedly gifted with the power of the Magic, although I haven’t figured out how to control it yet.

The elves of Elderfor has been in a war against the ghouls for 34 years. Adramelech, the king of the ghouls, wants to harness the elves’ the Magic and use to create a world of death and despair.

“Come on, do it!” Braern says. Then he picks up the tree branch and runs at me. I raise my hands to protect myself, and my Magic almost immediately becomes engaged, and I can feel it roaring inside of me. In response, all the trees that Braern were talking about sprang into the air and toppled on top of him.

I try to shut it off, but instead, the trees start pressing harder on him. But miraculously, I try gesturing upwards, and the trees lift into the air. This was so cool!

I decide to experiment, so I snap my fingers, and the trees break into splinters. Then I swirl my hand, and the fragments blow away.

Then I remember. Braern was unconscious. I put my hands together, then slowly spread them apart.

To my utter amazement, he slowly rises and asks me, “What happened?”

“No way…,” I whispered, awestruck.

“What?” Braern replies.

“I think I just figured out how to use the Magic!” I say.

“What? Show me!”

“Okay.”

I gesture inwards, and the fragments of the trees come swirling towards me.

“That was just the wind. Are you making fun of me?” asks Braern in a stern voice.

“No. Watch.”

I slam my hands together, then slap the ground.

The splinters form together, make a giant tree, and then the tree plants itself into the ground.

Braern just stands there, looking incredulous.

“NO. WAY. That is so cool!” Braern exclaims.

“I know, right?” I reply.

“Hold on, I’ll be right back!” says Braern.

“Where are you going?” I ask.

“You’ll see,” he replies, then he runs away.

While I wait, I think I hear some odd whispering sounds.

But then something rustles near my foot.

Startled, I push my hand towards the noise unconsciously and then lift it up.

It is a big spider that tries to jump out of my grasp, but doing so rips off one of its legs.

It lets out a terrifying screech, and then says, “Why would you do that? That hurt!”

“Sorry!” I say, but then I realize. I can communicate with animals!

Then Braern comes back, and I accidentally fling the spider onto him.

Braern impales it with the knife he brought with him.

I try to block out the scream, but it still pierces through my hands.

Then Braern chucks the knife at me. I am still recovering from the scream, so I don’t see it coming until it’s too late.

The knife impales me in the upper thigh, and I feel excruciating pain. Then it is over. I slowly feel unconscious drifting over me.

One hour later, I wake up, and everything feels fine. Except for the fact that I have a knife that’s stuck in me. Then I realize. Braern is trying to pull it out, but he can't. I then see the small scab that has formed around the knife.

“My Magic healed me!” I exclaim.

“Yeah… I’m sorry. Why didn't you see it?” He asks.

“I just found another power of mine. I can talk to animals,” I say excitedly.

“Cool!” Braern says.

“Yea, and you just killed the spider!” I exclaim.

“It's just a spider,” replies Braern

“It’s not just a spider when it talks to you,” I say back snappily.

“OK, sure,” Braern mutters. I stand up. I feel nothing.

“It's weird, like I know I have a knife in my leg but I don't feel anything,” I say to Braern. I focus all my power and the knife falls out. Then within a second, I feel dizzy. I start to spiral forwards, barely thinking, I was so tired. I collide with the ground and the last things I see are Braern’s shoes. 

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 am
rida wrote a review...

Wow! I like this chapter, and I felt a bit confused.... if the elves and ghouls have been in war for so many years, and not all the elves are having magic, then how are they even surviving? But, I think you were a really good writer when you were 10, I would love to be that good, and, no grammar mistake! I like his ability to talk to animals, though, spiders are just..(shudder)
But, I look forward to the next chapter
:)

Overwatchful wrote a review...

Hello, Stormblessed here!
You were a pretty good writer when you were ten! I know that mine would not have been as good as this.

Your probably able to pinpoint most of the problems here, since you now have greater experience, but I'll point out a few of them anyway.

The prologue is very good, very dramatic and such. The only problem there is inconsistent verb tense. Just make sure all your verbs are consistent, and you'll be fine.

The first chapter needs a little more work. Its unclear what's going on, and Ollict's revelations about his powers feel awkward and stunted. For something as life-changing as this, make sure you dwell on it a bit more.
The spider thing was intriguing. It's an interesting outlook on creatures, like that. (Not that I plan to stop killing insects, but still.)

Anyway, great job! If you have more, I would love to see it!
Hope this helped!

RadDog13579 says...

If your wondering who Sol is, he's a friend of mine I worked on the novel with. Actually moved away last year but we're still in touch. I just thought I should give him a little credit.

An existential crisis a day keeps the writer's block away <3
— LadyBug