z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

True Freedom

by R.Harini


True freedom

R. Harini

I ran with all my might. My feet were heavy with blisters and my tears ran dry. I was experiencing it once more, that nightmare, living and breathing in that cruel, savage world I always dreaded. No matter what I did, no matter how loud my screams echoed, no matter how many times I shivered and trembled, twisted and groaned, begging for it to stop, it always ended the same way. I would be chased around, writhing in unending agony. I would struggle helplessly, yet inevitably knowing, that my worthless determination and futile hope would all be thrown into that pitiless abyss and torn to shreds, which I could never ever recover, no matter how hard I tried.

Yet I ran. I had to escape, I had to be free. But the truth lay so blatantly naked in front of me. I knew, no matter how I mumbled like a lost, disillusioned child, and steeled myself for the unthinkable, they would catch me, like they always did. My pleads would be ignored as I would fold my quivering, bruised hands and once more I would be chained, tossed into that unforgivable hell.

No matter how many times I ran free, or tried to, I knew and they knew very well, that I would always be within their life-drenching grasps. It was as if my agony was their luxury, and my shallow blood tainting the wilderness seemed all too normal. I had to move and survive according to their strangling strings. I couldn’t take it at all, and it was there that I decided I won’t anymore.

As I felt their monstrous, earth-shaking footsteps near me, I stopped. I didn’t run anymore. I turned back, with hate burning my eyes a deep, terrifying blood-red tint. It was then that I realised that my frail, scarred body was not mine anymore. As my feet pounded through the crowd, I felt the distinct, bittersweet scent of fresh blood hit my nose. I could feel their shapeless forms crashing down, as heart wrenching death rattles echoed in unison. I realised I didn’t have to run; I don’t need to escape. I need to stay here and rule. Make others cower down in fear, stealthily disguised as admirable respect. I needed and did stop thinking of right and wrong, sin and deed. This hell where I reside, love and kindness, friendship and trust, are no more than forgotten memoirs, buried beneath selfishness and cruelty. I too, was but naïve and foolish, not being able to see those vivid, deceiving colours, paint a catastrophe, beneath those welcoming hues. My body was not mine, it now belonged to revenge, his brother anger, his sister hate and their master, evil.

But now I knew what salvation actually meant, as I could feel the halo of evil slowly engulf me. I didn’t fight as I embraced it back. I knew what power meant. I could still sense those muffled screams of my conscience beneath the overwhelming feeling of supremacy and greatness, fame and strength, but they just had to be ignored. I was one of the downtrodden, and now I am free of suffering, free of weakness, free of contemplation. Before I closed my eyes, I smirked silently at that pathetic image of my past, that reflected on the massive pools of blood and laughed within at those huge eyes widening in horror, and collapsed into a blissful sleep.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
119 Reviews


Points: 10789
Reviews: 119

Donate
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:28 pm
View Likes
Clairia wrote a review...



Hello! I'm Clairia, here to review as requested.

It was awesome to see all of your beautiful detail packed into a short story. As I've told you before, you're incredibly talented and expressive, and your love for writing shines through the work that you put out. I can't praise you enough for your use of imagery; I can only hope that you continue to use it in the elegant way that you do now.

Moving on to critiques--I'm going to be keeping this rather brief. Quite frankly, I've already pointed out the main "issues" that I have with your writing in previous reviews, so I won't be focusing too much on the overall style. I will say, however, that what you've done in your past work has carried over to storytelling quite well. Some things that I had problems with in your poetry actually seem to help you here. That's good; just know that there is a line between a narrative and free verse. Certain categories hold fundamental truths that may/may not apply for others.

Be careful not to make your storytelling too vague. Your readers may lose interest quickly if not given a foundation to build off of. Not knowing what the situation is/who the characters are/where the characters are can often lead to misunderstandings from your audience; misunderstandings that you'll have to correct in later chapters. Setting some sort of plot in the beginning to establish who/what/where/why will help your readers buy into details that are otherwise provided.

Again, your work is always fun to read. It's been great fun touring your portfolio, and here's one last thank you for visiting The Review Tavern! You're welcome back anytime. Please ping me (@Clairia) when you've got your next piece up!

Thanks for sharing,

Clairia




R.Harini says...


Thank you so much once again. You are truly an angel



Clairia says...


It was my pleasure!



User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:00 am
View Likes
Mageheart wrote a review...



Hello there, @R.Harini! I apologize for taking so long to read your work and write this review, but I'm finally here to look it over.

The first thing I noticed about your work was its brevity. YWS was where I first learned about flash fiction, so I admit I'm not exactly used to reading stories so short. Despite its length, however, you managed to fit in a lot - character development, imagery, and varying/interesting word choice that shows your sophistication as a writer.

I saw your reply to @Necromancer14's review down below where you mentioned that the vagueness throughout the piece was intentional. I almost feel like the shortness of the work takes away from the vagueness - it feels like there's still a story left to be told. I think it would work well as a longer story to fill that need, or would be even stronger of a short piece if you elaborated on some of the details mentioned.

(For example, you could give more information about who is doing the chasing, or who the narrator turns on at the end.)

Grammatically, your work is almost flawless! I can't find any grammatical errors. I just think you could add some variety with the punctuation. When you used commas to sandwich little phrases in between bigger ones, you could have used something like parentheses or hyphens/dashes to achieve a similar affect. Semi-colons also are a great alternative when you're switching between different thoughts and want to change up when you're using commas.

(I speak from experience. :))

My last piece of advice is to take advantage of your formatting. As of right now, you tell your story in five paragraphs. There's definitely a difference in length between them, but I think breaking them up into smaller paragraphs might suit your style of storytelling even better. Something I've done in my own writing to increase tension is count a single sentence as a paragraph. The breaks let the reader pause and focus on that one moment in the story.

For example, you could take the first sentence of paragraph five and separate it from the rest of the paragraph. Once its on its own, the reader can focus on the juxtaposition of salvation and evil.

I hope my review makes sense! Let me know if you have any questions about it. All in all, I really enjoyed your work! :)




R.Harini says...


Thank you so much for your in depth review. I will definitely keep the punctuation remarks in mind while writing further. Thank you once again



Mageheart says...


You're welcome! I'm glad my review could help. :)



User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 2085
Reviews: 48

Donate
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:30 pm
View Likes
shima wrote a review...



Really beautifully written, a very good description of the despair that the main character is feeling. It shows a true mastery of language, one not accomplished by many.
This work really gives off a sense of paranoia and fear and the accomplishment one feels once he (or she) has beaten it, which I absolutely love.

It gives off a very magical vibe, basically a fairytale, written on pure emotion and nothing else.
It shows how much the main lead has lost and how much he wants to win, no matter the cost. He has lost this battle but the question remains whether or not this is a good thing for maybe now he will finally win the war he is fighting. The creatures he is fighting against are stronger and crueler than him, so he has to become one - but the ending poses the question if this was worth it. He won the fight, but at the cost of his own conscience, which only made it way worse for him and everybody around him in the long run.
This aspect is actually really deep - especially for such a short story - which is why I love it so much.

All in all, awesome tale, looking forward to more of you.




R.Harini says...


Thank you so much



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 103
Reviews: 6

Donate

User avatar
114 Reviews


Points: 6228
Reviews: 114

Donate
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:55 am
View Likes
Necromancer14 wrote a review...



Well now! I'm glad to say that this hasn't happened to me. (I still have a conscience fortunately.)

Here's my review:

Well, first of all, who's chasing the person? I started reading, and I was beginning to think it was perhaps one of those dreams where you're constantly being chased. Then I got to the part where it talks about turning evil and I was like "Oh, I see what kinda story this is." However, I'm still curious about what's chasing him. Is it Goodness? Evil? The World? His Past? You don't specify. All you say is that he turns around to face them... and turns evil. That makes me think it is goodness, but he could also be giving up to them, making it evil... Then again, since he's running from it, it could be like "I was running from my past, because I did something shameful and now I'm accepting it and I don't mind doing shameful things now. BWAHAHAHA! I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT?"

So which is it? Or is it another option that I haven't listed? Anyway, that being said, this piece had wonderful descriptions. Super good descriptions. You used really nice vocabulary words in really smart places. I'm impressed.

I would struggle helplessly, yet inevitably knowing, that my worthless determination


You don't need a comma after "knowing." It's grammatically incorrect to have a comma there.

how I mumbled like a lost, disillusioned child, and steeled myself for the unthinkable,


You don't need a comma after "disillusioned child." This time it's acceptable, but I think using lots of unnecessary commas reads clumsily. I'm not saying your piece read clumsily, I'm just saying if you, like here, put commas where they aren't needed too much it could read choppily, because you have to constantly stop. (That's what commas and periods do. They tell the reader to stop reading for a split second. And then resume of course.)

I knew and they knew very well, that I would always


You did it again! Okay, this is how it works. You're not supposed to add commas to mark phrases.

As I felt their monstrous, earth-shaking footsteps near me, I stopped. I didn’t run anymore. I turned back, with hate burning my eyes a deep, terrifying blood-red tint.


Very descriptive! Good job here.

I smirked silently at that pathetic image of my past, that reflected on the massive pools of blood and laughed within at those huge eyes widening in horror, and collapsed into a blissful sleep.


Besides the fact that you have more incorrect commas for various reasons, this was a super powerful ending. Great job.

Anyway, I'd recommend researching proper use of commas, because it seems like something you struggle with a little. On the other hand, your descriptions? Super good. You are REALLY GOOD AT DESCRIPTIONS. I'm serious.

Well, that's my review! I hope it was helpful.




R.Harini says...


Thank you so much for pointing my mistakes out. I really appreciate Constructive Criticism and your review was absolutely eye opening and amazing. I will definitely keep it in mind when I write again.
As for the interpretation, the reader can interpret however they want to.
It is very vaguely specified for that reason. Is what we deem evil really so and if yes, why avoid it when we can embrace the vices inside of us and covert it into something terrible, yet magnificent?
That is how I look at it, but the reader can view it however they would like it. The concepts of Freedom, Morality and Perceived goodness are questioned.
Thank you so much for the review and I hope you will read the other works that I will be posting shortly



User avatar


Points: 62
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:45 am
View Likes
jennifer_ says...



i absolutely adore the change in tone half-way through. The imagery is likewise so striking. I particularly enjoyed the connotations of "the halo of evil", it is a truly intriguing play on how we always perceive ourselves as virtuous, numbing our consciousness "into a blissful sleep".

overall, I believe that this short story is very interesting, however, i would love to see it just a little bit more fleshed out.

thank you! x




R.Harini says...


Thank you so much for the praise. I will definitely consider your remarks the next time I write something



User avatar


Points: 62
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am
jennifer_ wrote a review...



i absolutely adore the change in tone half-way through. The imagery is likewise so striking. I particularly enjoyed the connotations of "the halo of evil", it is a truly intriguing play on how we always perceive ourselves as virtuous, numbing our consciousness "into a blissful sleep".

overall, I believe that this short story is very interesting, however, i would love to see it just a little bit more fleshed out.

thank you! x




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 103
Reviews: 6

Donate


"It's not nice to roast people when they're out of comebacks."
— Tuckster