How Was Your Day? - Chapter 22.1

by Que

The spell seemed to be holding up fine for the moment. It had only been a few days, and Mia claimed that the nightmares had gone. Finnley was relieved, and ridiculously pleased that he had been able to do this. Everything seemed normal, although there had been a strange occurrence just the other night.

Finnley had been awoken by a strange feeling. It took him a moment to recognize it — a faint tugging on his energy stores. Since that was the only spell he had active, he knew that had to be the one effecting it. It felt as if someone were… pushing, testing the power of the spell. Finnley had given some more energy to the spell experimentally, and the odd force had backed off. It hadn’t come back since. Still, it made him uneasy. Mr. Vaughn was a little concerned, but had no definite answers for him. Unless the power returned, there was nothing to be done.

Without Finnley’s notice, October had slipped into November. The leaves on the deciduous trees were turning golden, the sun not illuminating them for nearly enough time before slipping below the horizon. The sky turned clear and pale, wisps of white clouds scooted across it, as if they were fleeing to warmer places.

Walking back from his training with Mr. Vaughn, Finnley’s eyes slid from the light sky to the dark hills of pine. Peaks of bare grey rock rose sharply above the trees, sticking out into the sky. He was studying the landscape before him absentmindedly when he felt a hand on his arm. Shaken from his reverie, he turned to see Monica walking next to him. Her heeled boots made gentle tapping noises against the pavement, and her jacket flapped out behind her to the beat of her step.

“Did you tell Mr. Vaughn that I'm back?” she asked, launching right into the conversation without even a hello. Ghosts, Finnley thought to himself, holding back a smile.

“Not yet,” he replied. He pulled his hood up over his ears as they turned onto a more exposed street.

“I really should tell you about—” she started.

“Don't,” Finnley interrupted. Monica looked at him in surprise, Amber eyes wide and full of life, even if she wasn't alive. “I want to know but… but not if it means you need to leave. I like you.”

“I like you too,” she said quietly. “I wish… I wish it could always be this way.” Then, even softer than before: “I wish I were still alive.”

Finnley felt a sort of numbness. He knew she was dead, and yet… he hadn't been prepared to deal with this. What was he supposed to say? ‘It's okay’? ‘I'm sorry’? “Monica…”

“I know,” she said, and turned away. “I know you want to forget that I'm dead, that I'm a ghost, but I can't. I want to stay as much as you want me to, but I have to tell you about your sister.”

Finnley stopped in his tracks. His sister? He suddenly felt like he needed to know, greedy for anything related to Allie. “Well… If we don't tell Mr. Vaughn, then he doesn't have to send you back, right?”

“Yeah,” said Monica, but she sounded so glum that Finnley thought over the situation again.

“Alright. Don't tell me for now,” he said, the words harder to squeeze past his lips than he had anticipated. He didn't really need to know about his sister because she was dead. And there's no way of getting her back, he added firmly to himself. “See you around?” They were outside his house now.

“Sure thing,” Monica said, and her smile was bittersweet. “Maybe I'll pop into school tomorrow.”

“I'd like that,” Finnley admitted. Monica leaned forward and hugged him, then let herself fade away in his arms. Standing there, holding nothing, Finnley felt profoundly empty. He turned and walked into his house, trying to wish away whatever feelings he had just felt. He didn’t really know what they were, didn’t know what to do with them. Now homework — he had some of that, and knew exactly what to do with it. He wrote essays and thought about things that were very much not Monica.

It worked, at least for a while, and when it stopped working, Finnley went to sleep. He could hear his mother, putting away the dishes that they’d used at dinner, now clean. He knew he should help, but he just wanted to shut his eyes and block out the world.

In the middle of the night, Finnley was awoken once more by the strange feeling of something tugging on his energy. He bolted upright and pressed a hand to his heart, breathing hard. It’s back, he thought, slightly panicked. It was a straining, pushing feeling, and all of a sudden Finnley found himself using far too much energy to maintain the spell. Mr. Vaughn’s words came back to him: “The spell cannot take from you any more or less than you are willing to give.” It was taking too much of Finnley’s energy to prevent this alien force — he had to cut the spell off.

Remembering when he had flinched away from his own spell in the store, he tried to reproduce that feeling of cutting the magic off from him. Almost instantly, the pull on his energy stopped. Finnley leaned back against the wall, trying to slow his breathing. His forehead was damp with sweat. What was that thing?

When he had finally calmed down, he was startled once again by the phone ringing. He fumbled for it in the dark, knowing with a certain dread that it would be Mia. “Hello?” he said as soon as he found the phone, but there was no answer. He hadn’t accepted the call. Cursing his own stupidity, he pressed the appropriate button and held the device up to his ear. “Hello? Mia?”

“Finnley.” He sighed with relief. It was Mia. There was a strange little noise, almost like a sob. “I was so scared,” she whispered. “Your spell was working, but then —”

“I know,” Finnley said, trying to be reassuring rather than grim. “I felt it. That force… I had to let the spell go.”

A pause, then: “I’m so scared, Finn. I don’t want to go back to sleep. I can’t— I know what will happen. I know what I’ll see.”

“Did it come back the other night, after you called me and went back to bed?”

Again, Mia paused before answering. “No, I didn’t.” There was an audible sigh. “Goodnight, Finnley.”

“Goodnight—” There was a click as she hung up, and Finnley could say no more. Once again, he felt as if he had messed up, as if he was missing something. After his talk with Monica and later Mia, it seemed as if he couldn’t do anything right. Lying back in his bed, Finnley stared at the ceiling. It was going to be one long night.

Panikos wrote a review...

Yo, Querencia! I'm like a steamroller today. Don't mind if I roll on in with another critique.

It had only been a few days, and Mia claimed that the nightmares had gone. Finnley was relieved, and ridiculously pleased that he had been able to do this.

Hate to be a cynic, but there's every chance that this could be a coincidence. Or a matter of self-fulfilling prophecy. Finnley's usually an anxious stress-head, so I'd kind of expect this thought to enter his mind as well. Even if the spell had worked, he might doubt himself and wonder if the nightmares disappearing was just down to chance.

Since that was the only spell he had active, he knew that had to be the one affecting it.

It felt as if someone were… pushing, testing the power of the spell. Finnley had given some more energy to the spell experimentally, and the odd force had backed off. It hadn’t come back since. Still, it made him uneasy.

It makes me uneasy. I'm glad to see that this spell seems to be having repercussions. I wonder what it could be? Is somebody sapping Finnley's energy via the spell? Or are they sapping his energy via other means and he only thinks it's the spell? I wonder.

Walking back from his training with Mr. Vaughn, Finnley’s eyes slid from the light sky to the dark hills of pine. Peaks of bare grey rock rose sharply above the trees, sticking out into the sky. He was studying the landscape before him absentmindedly when he felt a hand on his arm.

Nice description, especially the image of 'dark hills of pine'.

This conversation is touching, but a bit on the pacy side. I'd prefer them to dance around the subject for a little longer (maybe Finnley could ask what it was like in the spirit world and she could shed some light?) before plunging into the really serious side of things. If you draw the conversation out and explore the upbeat side of it more thoroughly, the impact of Monica saying she wishes she was still alive will hit harder.

“I know you want to forget that I'm dead, that I'm a ghost, but I can't. I want to stay as much as you want me to, but I have to tell you about your sister.”

Called it! To be honest, it might be a good idea to tone down on the hints in Chapter 18. They weren't as obvious as the hints about Monica's ghostliess, but I still guessed what they meant pretty easily. I'd have preferred this to come as a real surprise.

“Well… If we don't tell Mr. Vaughn, then he doesn't have to send you back, right?”

Dangerous game. Feel like this will lead to trouble. I love things that lead to trouble.

“Alright. Don't tell me for now,” he said, the words harder to squeeze past his lips than he had anticipated. He didn't really need to know about his sister because she was dead. And there's no way of getting her back, he added firmly to himself.

I just don't buy this. There's no way that Finnley wouldn't be desperate to know what Monica had to say. This is his sister, for goodness' sake. She only died about a year ago; the grief would still be so fresh for him, and I think he'd be so blindsided and shocked that he'd simply have to know what was going on. He wouldn't be able to just sweep those feelings under the rug, even if he doesn't want Monica to have to leave.

I'm just spitballing now, but would it be more interesting if Monica was the one keeping secrets? She might have come back with good intentions, meaning to deliver some kind of message to Finnley and then move on to wherever ghosts are supposed to go. But she's found friends in this world. She's having fun and getting to experience things she might never have done in her real life. The moment she tells Finnley what she needs to tell him, she loses all reason to be here and will have to leave. It makes complete sense to me that she would try to draw this experience out for as long as she can, even if she knows she shouldn't. It makes more sense that she would hide secrets about Allie rather than Finnley not wanting to know them.

I'm not saying you have to go with that, but it's an idea to consider. I think you could get more tension out of Monica being the one that didn't want to leave, because she's the one who has power over that decision. It does make sense that Finnley would want her to stay, but I feel like Monica is the one with the stronger motivation in all this.

I also don't think his desire for Monica to stay would outweigh his curiosity about Allie. Not when you consider that he was following what he thought to be Allie's ghost into the woods just months ago.

Did she just have the nightmare again? Or did something else happen? Like neptune says, this last conversation is quite rushed. I didn't really get why Mia knew so instantaneously that the spell had stopped working, unless something notable happened on her end that you don't tell us about. The whole thing just needs to be a bit clearer.

Overall, this is a much stronger chapter. The intrigue has returned now that we have the question of what (or who) is tugging on Finnley's power. It feels like we're heading to something dramatic at last, and I must admit that I'm excited and concerned for what it might be.

My main advice for this chapter would be to consider rethinking the conversation between Monica and Finnley. As I said, I'm not convinced that he would brush off her mention of Allie that easily. If you want to play the 'I can deal with this now' angle, that could work, but Finnley's reaction to Monica mentioning Allie would need to be a lot more distressed. He could talk about how he feels like he's finally been getting over his grief, so he's afraid that whatever she'll tell him about Allie will bring all of that back and put him back to square one. Something like that. These are all just ideas, but he does need to have a more emotional reaction one way or another.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hi! Here for review day. Don't have much to critique on.

Characters:

I'm sensing a possible romance between Monica and Finnley? The sad thing here is that Monica is a ghost and Finnley is not, and so nothing can really come out of this other than their own romantic feelings between them. But I think I like it, because those feelings feel natural to me and it's not as though this relationship is forced or anything. It's just the seeds, and may remain just the seeds.

I feel like Finnley is definitely changed. At the beginning, he had just moved, he felt anxious in my opinion, he had no friends. But now (and I suppose we're not near the end quite yet) he's got friends he could trust and a possible love interest. I always consider things like romances as part of growing up and finding yourself? I feel like in this character arc, Finnley is going to find himself and know who he is and gain confidence. I like it! My favorite character arc is the growing-up kind.

Monica doesn't want to be a ghost. To think about it, I think she never wanted to be a ghost. I'm kind of curious how she ended up that way? It's kind of a big step for Monica to say something that's hidden deep in her, and it convinces me more that there may be a fuzzy romance between the two? Or maybe it's possible that I'm a bit mistaken. Monica makes me think, despite of her cheerful personality outside, or a girl who's trying to smile while being lonely.

Others:

One little note I'd like to make is that you could flesh out the scene where Finnley has to break the spell a little more. After all, I don't feel like I'm really there. Maybe some elaboration on the tugging feeling would be nice, too, because it tells me how it's supposed to feel--but that's it. More detail would be nice, because I'd like to see a stronger sense of panic, like "Oh no what will happen if I give up too much of my magic". I like to use visceral details when I'm describing panic, like the character's chest knotting up or something like that. The main reason is probably, at least in my opinion, because it's too rushed for my liking.

I'm pretty curious about this mysterious tugging and Mia's nightmares. I hope Mia will later tell Finnley about it--for her own relief, she ought to tell somebody whether it's her parents or a close friend like Finnley.

Anyway, I think that's all I've got to say! Hope this helps :)

-Ink

Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:11 am
neptune wrote a review...

Hey Querencia! This chapter has been in the green room for far too long, so I thought I'd review it! I believe I've read the previous couple of chapters, too.

The paragraph that describes the energy pull/tug on Finnley's spell was adequate, but I think the description could be better done to make it stronger. The slight hints that someone might be 'testing the power of the spell' were a little obvious and could smoothly slide into the paragraph with more ease. Whether someone actually is on the other side of the spell doing that, the sentence stuck out with awkwardness. I think you could dive into the flashback slower, to make it more natural -- which ties into my idea of adding more description for strength.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but you keep referring to Mia's nightmare spell as 'the spell' and other variations of that. It just leaves me curious as to whether there is a name for it or not? If spells have no names, that's completely the author's writing choice, but it could get confusing in certain scenarios. If there were two or more spells Finnley casts, how would we know which spell is which if they both don't have a name? I may just be completely clueless since I haven't read a majority of this novel, but maybe some of my points here are valid.

The call between Mia and Finnley felt... not random, but out of place and rushed. All of the sudden Finnley felt a pull again from the spell and then Mia immediately called. That makes somewhat sense, but I almost feel like the call was too soon? Mia talks like it happened a bit ago when in reality Finnley canceled the spell just seconds earlier. It almost makes me feel like Mia had been awake and not sleeping that entire time, as if standing right next to the phone.

The ending of the phone call was strange, in my opinion. I feel like I missed something. One moment Mia says she cannot go back to sleep, she doesn't want to face the nightmares, and then the next second she drops the conversation and says 'goodnight'. Maybe that term was also supposed to just mean 'goodbye' but something about the call needed more to it.

I think the phone call was missing some emotion, too. We got the sobbing sounds from Mia, but besides that nothing really was described. I feel like that's why the scene felt so rushed — the dialogue felt like the main focus and I didn't get an emotion-packed scene like I could have. This is an intense moment that could use some diving into. Every other description in this chapter was spot on, though! It's definitely tricky spreading dialogue and description out with each other.

Although I'm not completely familiar with this story and its characters, I found that I sometimes had to remind myself of who Monica was and who Mia was. This usually happens when character's names start with the same letter and/or sound the same. I think this mainly happened because I don't know the characters themselves, but just an observation.

The sky turned clear and pale, wisps of white clouds scooted across it, as if they were fleeing to warmer places.

I loved this line! The imagery was so vivid.

I wouldn't say there were much plot changes or occurrences in this chapter, which was honestly fine because I could see a build in the relationship with Finnley and the other characters. You are doing a good job of getting the essential character and relationship building in place inside the story! I enjoyed reading their interactions. I'm very curious about what's going to happen with Mia.

Hopefully this review helped! I had fun reading this chapter. If you have any questions please let me know (and sorry if anything plot-related was incorrect)! Keep writing. <3

Monica leaned forward and hugged him, then let herself fade away in his arms. Standing there, holding nothing, Finnley felt profoundly empty.

SHIPPEDY SHIP SHIP SHIP

Ahem.

My main comment was going to be about this.

Everything seemed normal, although there had been a strange occurrence just the other night.

Without Finnley’s notice, October had slipped into November.

Because this zipped by really quick, and I was like, Wait, what's this about someone pushing at the spell??? I want to know more about this??? Why wouldn't you dramatize this incident???

Aaaaand then I got here.

On the one hand, I don't necessarily think you need to dramatize both of these incidents, and the second is clearly the more dramatic/important one. On the other hand, you skip through the first bit so quickly, and it's something I really want to know about it and that's very important as being an introduction to this new problem. I think the chapter would benefit from giving the first incident more attention - it would create more suspense when Finnley feels this tugging again.

I'm also curious to know what Mia's so scared of here - I get that it's a protective spell, but did something happen the moment he shut it off? Or was could she feel it shut off? Was she scared that something was going to happen to her because the spell had turned off, or was she scared that it had turned off because something had happened to Finn? Hinting at answers to these questions or giving us more of an idea of just what Mia's scared of in this moment could up the tension when Finnley turns the spell off. Like I kind of thought something bad would immediately happen. Not that it needs to, and I'm glad it didn't, but I would've liked to have felt that something bad might immediately happen.

I sleep with reckless abandon!
— Link Neal