z

Young Writers Society



How Was Your Day? - Chapter 15.1

by Que


September 30 • Monday

6:47 am

"Normality is a strange thing, a subject which I cannot fully comprehend. I've adjusted to a sort of normality in this new town, a strange way of doing things that's become familiar to me over the past weeks, months. However, the pattern that's become like a second skin to me is somehow something that's completely foreign to the rest of the world. School is where it happens the most: I see everyone going about their daily lives, lives that would qualify as "normal", lives so different from mine. Then I truly realize what it means to be different.

"-F-"

Finnley typed his blog post in the dull light colored blue from his still-drawn curtains. He let his mind wander, not focused on what he was writing. He only did it because of his promise. His therapist, living in another state but still stalking his blog, had left another message on his phone. He said that Finnley was being vague and thoughtful, but that he wasn't in touch with his feelings very much. He told Finnley (in an irritated and unusually nasally voice) that he should have gone with a journal if he didn't want others reading about him. Finnley didn't call back.

He hadn't been sure if Mia was still coming to school; she hadn't replied to his texts. He waited in the dewy grass outside her charred house, which somehow looked worse in the glaring light of day. It looked abandoned- it looked dead. Mia was probably staying at the hospital with her mom, or maybe the house wasn't safe to return to yet.

Finnley was just turning around to walk to school alone when a door banged shut. "Hey! Finny, wait up!" It was Mia, waving at him from the front porch of the house next to hers. She jogged over, and Finnley noticed that she wore a t-shirt with an exotic-looking plant on it along with jeans that had patches and holes as if they had been attacked by said plant.

"Whew," she said, resting her elbow on his shoulder. "Good goshes, have some faith in me!"

Despite everything, even her calling him "Finny", he had to smile as they started walking together. "Sorry," he replied. "You never texted me, so I wasn't sure you'd be here. You know, with your mom in the hospital and all."

"Oh! I forgot about that. I accidentally left it at home when we went to the hospital, and as you can imagine, it got a little fried," Mia explained as they turned the corner and began walking alongside the forest. Finnley glanced sidelong at it, but it seemed to have nothing new to throw at them- for now. "Don't worry though, my mom's fine. She might have some scars, but it wasn't a bad enough burn to cause real damage. We were just staying at our neighbors' place last night because no one's come to check up on our house yet."

"You could've come to my place," Finnley said quietly, breathing in the cool crisp air that signaled autumn. It pierced his lungs as though they were only made of paper, and it was as refreshing and soul-sucking as chewing a piece of mint gum and inhaling.

"Hey," Mia said gently, touching his shoulder. "You did enough for us. Plus, I figured you and your mom needed to work things out between you."

"That's true," Finnley admitted, and he was touched by how much Mia genuinely seemed to care for him, despite all the craziness they'd gone through. Perhaps because of it. "I ended up telling her everything- I couldn't lie to her like that anymore." Mia nodded in understanding, and they walked the rest of the way to school in silence, but not an unhappy one.

The school day was an unusual one, with everyone chattering about homecoming, groaning about it being Monday already... It was as if nothing had happened Saturday night, as if his life hadn't just been changed. It was like walking through a dream, just waiting to wake up. Or maybe it was everyone else living in a dream. Mia got a few condolences and offers for help on the house which she responded to graciously. The only truly interesting thing happened at lunch.

Finnley and Mia were sitting at a lone table, mulling over the events of the weekend, when Sylvie stalked over to them. Maybe it was the dreamlike feeling that Finnley couldn't shake off, but she didn't seem as realistic as she had just the week before, didn't seem threatening in the least.

"I heard you two ditched homecoming," she said with a smirk, propping an elbow up on their table.

Mia shrugged. "We had better things to do." Sylvie looked like she had more to say, but just then Mia got up and walked away.

Finnley was about to come with her, but his feet wouldn't move. Without even thinking, the words fell out of his mouth: "I know about the glass swan."

The smirk vanished in an instant, and Sylvie leaned towards him. Finnley hadn't even realized the connection until that moment: the war of pranks between Mia and Sylvie that had ended in her brother's broken leg. The swan made of glass Mr. Vaughn had showed him, the girl who had given it to try and help her brother. They were the same person. Sylvie.

"Finnley, are you coming?" Mia called over his shoulder, but neither he nor Sylvie was paying attention. She was staring him down with a vengeful fire in her eyes, and he was doing his best to hold his ground by holding her gaze.

Oddly enough, when she spoke, her voice was soft like a young child. "You. Me. After school." She pointed at him and then herself as she said the words, slowly, like he might not be able to grasp her meaning.

"I have a job-" Finnley protested.

"It won't take long. I just want to talk." Then she was whirling around, back towards her friends, and Finnley was jogging to keep up with Mia. Somehow, he and Sylvie both knew that he was going to meet her after school. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:23 pm
Panikos wrote a review...



Hiya, Querencia. Back again.

Finnley typed his blog post in the dull light colored blue from his still-drawn curtains.


I found this sentence a bit weird. It led me up the garden path; I expected it to be 'typed his blog post in the dull light-colored blue font' or something. It felt weird to have to rearrange the image to be light.

Ah, reading it again, I think it's because of a missing comma. If you had it like this:

Finnley typed his blog post in the dull light, [which was?] colored blue from his still-drawn curtains.

Now, the image comes through more clearly.

He wasn't sure if Mia was still coming to school


Mia was probably staying at the hospital with her mom, or maybe the house wasn't safe to return to yet.


Yeah, no kidding, Finnley. It takes a loooong time to repair a building after a fire.

"Oh! I forgot about that. I accidentally left it at home when we went to the hospital, and as you can imagine, it got a little fried," Mia explained as they turned the corner and began walking alongside the forest. Finnley glanced sidelong at it, but it seemed to have nothing new to throw at them- for now. "Don't worry though, my mom's fine. She might have some scars, but it wasn't a bad enough burn to cause real damage. We were just staying at our neighbors' place last night because no one's come to check up on our house yet."


Like, I know Mia is a chipper personality, but I find it really weird that she's so upbeat considering her house just burned down. Okay, it's not an ash pile on the floor, but she's been uprooted from her home, her parents were almost killed by a demon, and all of her belongings are going to either be singed or otherwise ruined by smoke and water damage. It's a horrible thing to go through, even if you and your family make it out relatively unscathed. I'd expect her mood to be somewhat dented.

"I ended up telling her everything- I couldn't lie to her like that anymore." Mia nodded in understanding, and they walked the rest of the way to school in silence, but not an unhappy one.


You mean she didn't ask the obvious question of 'woah, and did she believe you?' I can't believe Mia wouldn't be a bit curious as to how his mum had reacted.

"It won't take long. I just want to talk." Then she was whirling around, back towards her friends, and Finnley was jogging to keep up with Mia.


Oh, this is interesting. I do kind of hope that Sylvie is going to get fleshed out a bit more and become more of a rounded character, and this definitely bodes well. I'm wondering if she wants to know if he's found the shop again. If the shop moves, it could be that she's been looking for it for a while but hasn't found it - maybe she wants to talk to Finnley about that? That's what I'm guessing.

Still, that's it for this review. Quite a short one this time. This is decent as a chapter, and I like how you explore Finnley's difficulty with adjusting back to normality. It's good that you reference the therapist again (though they don't seem like a particularly good therapist) because I'd almost forgotten about them.

What you need to work on - as is becoming a recurring theme - is just making sure that traumatic events actually have a believable degree of emotional fallout. Your characters need to be affected by what happens to them or else the story feels superficial. It's shallow drama without the lingering aftereffects. But I know that this comes from the novel being LMS; it's a first draft, so it's not going to be polished. Still, I have to mention it.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:49 am
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



OOOOOOOOH but what does she want to say to him?

I mean, even though "You. Me. After school" could be like "You and me after school, punk! I'm gonna kick your butt!"

But I'm 99.98% sure she doesn't mean it that way.

To be honest, I forgot all about the glass swan and everything, but it's probably just because we only read a bit a week, so it's been a few months since I read about the glass swan. Although it is also true we haven't seen anything of Mr. Vaughn in forever. But I'm guessing - since Sylvie is involved with him, a bit, and since Finnley has work after school - that we might, hopefully, see more of him soon.

I feel like the transition to lunch could be a little smoother and less telling than "the only interesting thing happened at lunch," but other than that my only issue with this chapter is with Mia. I love her and I know she's tough and probably just about exactly the kind of person who could bounce back from a house fire really quickly, given that her mom is going to be fine, but...her home still did burn down. Any material thing that was important to her presumably got destroyed. What about all the plants she had and loved so much that got burned up? I don't expect her to be a complete mess, because she's Mia, but she felt so cheerful in this chapter it was basically like nothing even happened.

Image




Que says...


Thank you!
Yeah hopefully I'll get my act together with Mr. Vaughn, I just wanted to kind of bring back Sylvie first, like she was a real life problem that wouldn't just go away because of something supernatural. Hopefully we will get to Mr. Vaughn next week!

Yeah I was struggling with Mia too, since she probably has all that negativity on the inside, but maybe I can find a way to make it come through without seeming like she wasn't affected. :)



BluesClues says...


Really I feel like you could have her acting cheerful but just there's something off about it, you know? Or Finnley catches her being not cheerful when she thinks he's not looking. I do feel like she's the kind of person who would try to be positive or cheerful in the wake of horrible things, but maybe she just can't quite pull it off as well as usual.



Que says...


Hm okay. C:



User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 2331
Reviews: 41

Donate
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:41 am
Carlymillie wrote a review...



Carly's Corner:
short review: Good day Quenrencia
Nice chapter. I didn't begin from the first chapter because it's morning and I'm still tryna search my glasses. my eyes hurt. But this chapter was a nice one, and later on, I'd start to read from atop.. I can't really go into detailed reviewing as I did not start from the first chapter.

But I noticed a thing or two, that I feel needed correction from my end.
**paragraphing; a paragraph always has a topic sentence, and the rest of that paragraph should expand o the topic sentence going in detail.it could be long or short, bit the most important thing is not drifting from the topic sentence. for example here:
** The school day was an unusual one, with everyone chattering about homecoming, groaning about it being Monday already... It was as if nothing had happened Saturday night, as if his life hadn't just been changed. It was like walking through a dream, just waiting to wake up. Or maybe it was everyone else living in a dream. Mia got a few condolences and offers for help on the house which she responded to graciously. ~~The only truly interesting thing happened at lunch.~~~***
The last sentence (marked with ~) should have been the beginning of the next paragraph. Then the body of that paragraph should have been diving into what happened. (that's where the launch detail comes in).

I think that was the only thing I saw so far..every other thing was good and catchy.. And encouraging enough to make me want to read this story..





Just think happy thoughts and you'll fly.
— Peter Pan