z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Anew (Draft 4)

by PrehistoricEchoes


A/N: So, about a year ago now I published a short story called "Anew" to the site, which got some pretty awesome reviews (once again, thanks to everyone who wrote to that one). Anyway, I recently revisited and, taking a lot of the criticism into account, I've rewritten the story. Some of the dialogue's the same, but a lot of the prose has been changed to flow better. I'm thinking about publishing this to a journal soon, but I want to make sure that it's good before I do.

Anyway, here it is. Hope you enjoy!

____________________________________________________________________

Two figures hiked down through a narrow mountain pass. The leader, a young man, wore a cloak of colors that matched the tall, narrow conifers that covered the mountainsides. His somewhat broad shoulders swayed as he walked, and he wore a smile on his face as he admired the scenery around him. Behind him walked a girl, her face obscured by a dark blue hood and wearing a coat blue as the stream running next to them. She took short, careful steps compared to her companion’s wide, sure gait.

White snow lay atop the tallest peaks around them, shining in the diminishing light as the world’s two suns slowly began to sink below the horizon.

“It’s getting late,” said the boy, pulling his large pack off his back. “Want to camp here, Lynn? Seems like a nice enough spot.”

The girl looked around. “If you think it works,” she replied quietly, removing her own sack.

He eyed her for a second and shrugged. “Want to set up while I get stuff for the fire?”

“Sure.” She dropped her pack with a loud thud, and began unrolling her sleeping mat.

“You okay? You sound a little down.”

“I’m fine, John, really.”

He shrugged. She would often act withdrawn, he’d seen her act quiet before, but this seemed different somehow. “I’ll go get some rocks for the firepit. You get settled in. I’ll be right back.” He pulled off his hood and turned to the stream. Lynn watched him walk away, his brown hair swaying in the faint, mountain breeze.

Sighing, she pulled her pack closer and rummaged through it. She pushed past tasteless bread that was going stale and some heavily-salted meat wrapped in fibrous paper. Digging deeper, through a small collection of beautiful stones she had gathered, she found it. She pulled the palm-sized, plastic device from her pack and stared at the blank LCD screen.

She chewed her bottom lip and pressed the round button on the bottom, but nothing happened. The phone had long ago run dead, its blank screen now reflecting her troubled face. Lynn stared at her mirror image for some time, watching as it slowly disappeared from the screen as the suns-light grew fainter and fainter.

The sound of John returning from the river made her push the phone back into her pack.

“Here we go,” he said, setting the smooth river rocks in a circle near her sleeping roll. He then looked at her and frowned. “I can tell something’s wrong.”

“I’m fine,” Lynn replied. “Just thinking.”

“About what?” He pulled some fist-sized, red crystals from his pack and began piling them within the ring of stones.

Lynn shrugged, pulling out a piece of old bread for her and John.

John produced a match from his pocket and lit it. “You can tell me, I can help,” he said, throwing the match into the crystals. They ignited into a deep, red flame that bathed the area in warmth and light.

“About this whole...everything!” she exclaimed frantically, dropping down to her own sleeping roll. “We’ve been trapped here for months! There are hundreds - thousands - of people just like us, trapped in this place! And so far, no one’s found a way out.”

It was John’s turn to shrug. “I don’t mind it too much,” he replied all too casually.

“How can you say, ‘you don’t mind it’?” Lynn snapped, venom in her voice. “Don’t you care about your family back home? They’re probably worried sick about you! Mine are probably worried sick about me!”

She buried her face in her hands and sobbed. John sat down next to her and placed a comforting arm over her shoulders. He knew what she was feeling. He’d known her for over a year, and she still hadn’t fully overcome the incident. At least, emotionally. In fact, no one he’d encountered had, though some coped better than others.

“We weren’t meant to live like this,” Lynn sniffed. “Not as warriors or merchants or whatever we figure we should be. We’re not meant to survive stuff like this. Life was normal before. I had a job… I had friends…”

John nodded. “We all did,” he replied. “My old friends are probably wondering about me even now, after all this time. And my boss has to have filled my job by now. It’d be crazy if he didn’t.”

There was a moment of silence between them as they remembered their past lives. Everything had changed since then. “Here, you should eat,” he said, pulling a roll from his pack and handing it to her. “It’ll make you feel better.”

She grabbed it and picked pieces off with her fingers.

John grabbed his own roll. “You’ll feel better when we get to the next town. Then, we can set up a shop or find work. I heard two brothers set up a lumber mill there, so they probably need help.”

Lynn shrugged and another small piece of stale bread with a quick bite. They finished their sparse meals without speaking to each other.

After a while, Lynn spoke up. “Can you tell me what you did again, back home?” she said. “I just want to remember what life was like.”

John smiled and leaned back on his own sleeping roll. “I was an accountant,” he said, “fresh out of college. Worked for some big, faceless corporation crunching numbers.” She closed her eyes, trying to remember the sights and sounds of an office. A year and a half ago, she would never have longed for such a thing.

Despite knowing the answer, he asked, “Remember what you did?”

“I was a desk clerk at a hotel, hoping to pay off my last year at university,” she said, remembering her old job. “That’s why I was working in that inn when we first met, I guess. Wanted to do something familiar.”

“You still remember that day?” he asked.

A faint smile appeared on Lynn’s tear-stained face. “Yeah. This crazy guy walked in, drenched in rain, and begged for a room with only a few copper pieces to his name.” She giggled. “And then he tried to sell me a sword when he found out he didn’t have the money.”

“Guess it works pretty well,” he said, nodding to the rapier on her belt.

She nodded. “Barely been used, though.”

He shook his head.

They sat in silence, listening to the fiery crystals crackle as the darkness slowly enveloped the mountains. Stars began to illuminate the land with a cool blue light. The two removed their heavier clothes and moved to their sleeping rolls, parallel to one another.

Lynn turned over to face her companion. “So you really don’t mind being stuck here.”

“No,” he said, after a short hesitation. “Not that much, at least. I mean, there’s people I miss. Hell, there’s things I miss. Can’t watch TV anymore, and no internet,” he let out a long, mournful whistle. “But, at the same time, we’ve got a whole new world. Look,” he said, motioning to the stars, which hung in the night sky like a thousand blue diamonds. “When could you see something like this back home?”

He let out a heavy breath. “Back home, I was just an accountant. I couldn’t go anywhere. I was never going to be anyone interesting. But here there’re so many possibilities. I stole when I first got here. I was a coward. But then I became a weapons merchant slash adventurer. I’ve seen mountains, oceans, and wilds that make National Parks look like city parks. And you, working from innkeeper to honest-to-God warrior.”

Lynn blushed at the last comment. “I’m not that good a fighter,” she mumbled.

“That’s bull. You took down a boar that sent me climbing up a tree.”

“That was one time!”

“We ate like royalty after that.” He smiled, noticing that she’d stopped sobbing.

“Besides, if I hadn’t gotten stuck here, I wouldn’t have meant you.” He reached out his hand, a ring on his finger. She reached hers out to meet his, a gold band wrapped around one of her fingers as well.

“It is amazing,” Lynn said, looking into the sky. A milky band of stars trailed across straight above them, a sight she never saw in the city she had once lived in. “You know, sometimes I wonder if this is all just some crazy dream, and tomorrow I’ll wake up and have to go back to work.”

“I think everyone’s had the same thought while here,” John said.

“It’s a good dream, though,” she said, gripping his hand tighter. “Do you think we’ll ever get home?”

“I don’t know,” John said. “But if we do, I can think of a lot of things I’d miss.”

Lynn nodded, and watched the sky as her husband fell asleep.

A lot to miss, she wearily thought, closing her eyes. Maybe I should make the most of this life while it lasts. After all, she relaxed her grip, it hasn’t been that bad…


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
476 Reviews


Points: 561
Reviews: 476

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:23 am
Apricity wrote a review...



Heyo Echoes, happy review day! Still here one year later, anyways let's get down to it. This is definitely better than your old version both in the way you've written it and structured it. The language flows better and the dialogue, if I remembered correctly wasn't as bumpy as the last. That being said, there are still a few things that could be tweaked.

Historical accuracy

Yes, I'm rather pedantic with this sort of thing so bear with me. Currently John and Lynn are in an alt universe where there are two suns and the environment is harsh, they've blundered into it due to some reason which has not been explained to us. And at one point in the novel they talk about their previous lives. At first I thought it was the 21st century because of the use of 'accountant', 'hotel' and 'clerk' and 'TV', then you said that he tried to pay for his fees with copper and a rapier. Did I realise that it probably wasn't the 21st century if they're still using copper. So my question is this, is it the 21st century if so, you're going to have to change the copper to our current-day currency. If not, you're going to have to nix the TV, hotel and clerk and avoid modern words like that. And considering Lynn still has her phone with her, I say it's the first.


Characters:

So, let's talk about John and Lynn almost wrote Mary there here. They met, and suddenly they were husband and wife. I know it's probable not that simple but from my POV that's what it seems like to me, not only do their interaction not suggest that deep of a bonding. The conditions in which they met and then got married was so big a time leap that it just isn't realistic. If they are married, would Lynn ask him to talk about their occupations when there are probably better memories to be relived? Their first date? A special place, a special time and memory, occupation are for people who have not known each other well and are looking for a way to pass that.

This also strikes me as odd,

“Here we go,” he said, setting the smooth river rocks in a circle near her sleeping roll. He then looked at her and frowned. “I can tell something’s wrong.”

“I’m fine,” Lynn replied. “Just thinking.”


He can tell that something is wrong, this is the good old show and tell all over again. If they're that close, how about showing us some minute body clues that she's upset? The way her eyes look at things? How about her shoulders? Her posture? Surely there are clues he can pick up. And look at Lynn's reply, it's short and transfer the point across but there isn't much emotion behind it. I want to see how she thinks, have a look at this article. I think you'll learn a great deal from it. Another reason I'm saying you should be more open with her inner emotions is that her outburst laster on is extremely abrupt.

You said here that she didn't get over the incident, so what exactly is the incident. I've actually been waiting for an explanation of that the entire story.

Miscellaneous things

Simply because I don't know where to group this, one thing I'd also like to know is the background of this story. Is this a short story or are you fleshing it into a novel, if it's a short story then you need to weave in why they're in there into the story as well. And character development, character development. I'm seeing storyboard personality here, show me something that makes them unique. On that note, I'm not sure what you're trying to convey via this story. As in, there isn't a main message that I'm detecting here. John and Lynn are camping and they are talking about they got stuck here. And Lynn by the end of it realises that this situation isn't so bad, but why do I get the feeling that this situation has probably been repeated many times in the past.

So, what exactly do you want to say here?


This is an interesting idea, I really want to know what's happening at hand and the characters shown potential to be great characters. Hope I've helped in some ways, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

-Flite






Thanks for reviewing! Helpful as always!
From this, I think I need to make what happened a bit clearer, since the main crux of the story is that these two characters have been dropped into an RPG-like fantasy world with no knowledge of how they got there, and are living life and trying to get out.
I like your suggestions for conveying emotion through description. I'll definitely take those into account with the next rewrite, since that would really help get more across with that. Huge thanks with the article link, too. I need as much help as I can get with dialogue.
As for meaning, there's a couple in mind that I leave for the reader to interpret: that things, even after drastic change, get better; and that a simple life can be fulfilling too (this one is a little weak, and I might have to drop it).



User avatar
216 Reviews


Points: 10184
Reviews: 216

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:19 am
kevin25a wrote a review...



This was really awesome and I definitely look forward to your story possibly continuing. I loved it and it gave me a sword art online feel too it which I loved. If you do continue it I would love a notification or pm for it. This was really good and I really hope you continue the story because it has a lot of potential.

I loved the fact you had the two main characters fall in love in the other worldly place to. Just like in sao, it adds that emotional state most young writers miss.






I actually wrote the first draft of this after finishing a couple episodes of SAO at the behest of a friend. I liked the idea of people being transported to a strange, RPG world, and decided to go from there.
Also glad the emotional thing came off as touching and not too sappy. Always get worried when I write romance plots in something, since it can come off really cheesey if it's not done right...



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:11 am
Lightsong wrote a review...



Well, reading this when I'm reading The Ways of Kings really makea me want to use the novel as reference. Anyway, I'm here to make a review!

This chapter looks like one of the chapters in the middle story of a novel. It is not a short story or prologue (for a novel). There are many things that suggest everything has happened and quite frankly, if I'm reading a short story, I would want to know everything that has happened. A short story is a stand-alone one, and it should stand strong and firm. This one looks like it's tumbling because of the many things it carries, if you know what I mean.

My suggestion is to make it longer. What has happened to John and Lynn to be exact? Why there are two suns? What makes them leave their old friends? These are the important questions that need to be answered in here, and if answered would give satisfactions to the readers. By making the piece longer, you can expand the development of your characters since they are not quite stromg characteristically here.

There are also the changes of character perspectives. At times, I wonder if this story is told by John's or Lynn's perspective. It seems to me that it's a mix of both, and it confuses me. Maybe you can split the story to being told by two perspectives (first half from Lynn's point of view, while the second half for John's point of view). I can see that John and Lynn have different takes on the current lives they're having, so some contrasting perspectives from them are needed - and told - systematically.

I personally like when John mentions Lynn's a good fighter, and explains why she is so. It adds substance in the story, these little things we don't expect, and maybe you can elaborate them to further put substance in the story to make it more solid.

I can see you have a good sensw of what the fantasy world looks like here, given your illustrious descriptions of it, and I commend that from you. It's part of what we called "world building" and is quite a hard thing to do, and suitable for a novel (like The Ways of Kings - I recommend you to read this since it would explain what I mean about world building).

Anyway, that's the review from me! Keep up the good writing! :)






I'll do some work with the perspective shifts. I can definitely see where you're coming from with this. I was trying to do an easy "camera pan" if you will (movie analogy is the best I can come up with), where it would focus on one character and move to the other. It sounds like this came out a little poorly and should be cleaned up a bit. If it doesn't work, I'll simply just try to put the focus from a single character.
As for worldbuilding, that's usually what I'm best at. I've been making constructed worlds since I was little, and I've refined that ability so well to the point where my problem is that I create new worlds easily, but lack the plot and characters to support them in a story...
Anyway, thanks for commenting!



User avatar
130 Reviews


Points: 2667
Reviews: 130

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:49 am
Em101cats wrote a review...



Hello, I'm Em101Cats, and I'm here to give you a review! Oh, and happy review day!


My opinion, in general, is that this is beautiful. I found myself swaying along with the feelings of the two main characters.

I enjoy this as a short story that ends with suspense, but perhaps be more descriptive with what happened? Did they get lost hiking? Were they traveling and now are trying to live in the harsh environment of the mountains? Are they on a survival show? It could be anything and that's why I think perhaps even a quick explanation near the beginning or middle would help. This is, of course, if you don't plan to continue this as a series or book instead.

I didn't find much to correct except maybe this:

Two figures hiked down through a narrow mountain pass. The leader, a young man, wore a cloak of colors that matched the tall, narrow conifers that covered the mountainsides. His somewhat broad shoulders swayed as he walked, and he wore a smile on his face as he admired the scenery around him. Behind him walked a girl, her face obscured by a dark blue hood and wearing a coat blue as the stream running next to them. She took short, careful steps compared to her companion’s wide, sure gait.


I have a severe problem with doing this. So many of my reviews say, "Show not tell! Show not tell!" Showing-and-not-telling is a hard thing, often, for even professional authors to do. Finding a way of having a storyline that describes the looks, actions or feelings of characters without flat-out telling the readers this information is difficult. My suggestion is to give this some editing time, see what you can do to show not tell.

Wonderful job! Keep up the great writing!
~Em101Cats~






Thanks for reviewing!
The "Show don't tell" problem seems to crop up a lot no matter how I open this story. Perhaps I should start experimenting with other openings again.
Also, I had given them a reason for their travel, and then edited it out on accident due to clunky dialogue in that scene... Bad mistake by me.



Em101cats says...


Ah, I understand. Formatting is an evil thing, and so is clunkiness. I truly feel your pain - I suck at this kind of thing. But you're good :D




History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.
— Karl Marx