Polaroids

by Phillauthet

Remember the Polaroids we used to take? Every milestone we crossed, every major event. They’re all hanging by me in a row, bearing testimony to our story.

The first was taken on the University campus, where we became friends. You were the adventurous, outgoing girl everyone loved. I was the guy who was always in the shadows. You pulled me out. You gave me new life.

In the photo, you’re laughing. It lights up your entire face like no amount of flash ever could. I’m looking at you with a smile, unaware I was hopelessly falling for you.

The next one is from when we went on a trek in the mountains, just the two of us. We’re sitting by the tent, staring at the sheer cliffs across. They were beautiful, but they could never hold a candle to you.

The time when I finally mustered the courage to wear my heart on my sleeves and tell you how I felt. That I could not imagine living without you and wanted you by my side forever. I remember asking a friend to click the picture, for I wanted to forever capture the immense joy and surprise on your face as you accepted my proposal. We even signed that picture: Rajan and Ruchi.

The day we got married. You looked like an angel in the bridal attire. Even more than always. Our faces radiated joy. We were a match made in heaven, the guests told us.

Our first trip as a couple. We’re standing by the Dal Lake with our hands laced together. We’re looking at each other; anyone could tell that we were head over heels in love.

Our 2nd anniversary. We’re proudly standing outside the new house we built. That construction was one of the first tests of our relationship, and we passed with flying colours.

The birth of our daughter. I did not know that I could love another girl as much as I loved you. She immediately became the apple of our eyes, our pride and joy. We’re both looking at baby Riya, eyes shining bright.

When we got our first dog. Timmy was just a pup, snuggled in your arms. His big, brown eyes take in the new scene as Riya looks on in awe.

There are no more Polaroids.

2 months later, I lost you. Death rudely snatched away the blessing life had given me: You. When you left, you took a part of me with you. I was reduced to a shell, a corpse with no life. For you were my life.

I was angry with the world. I did things I’m not proud of. Those were the worst days of my life. The only anchors left in my drifting world were our daughter and Timmy.

And then, a few days ago, I dreamed of you. You told me I could not waste my entire life pining for you. Me driving myself insane wasn’t ever going to bring you back. You said I should move on with life and be a good father to Riya. But it hit me the most when you told me I was not the person you fell in love with. That this was not me.

As I write this, sitting at the desk you bought me as a gift, with those Polaroids hanging by me, I realise I must let go. I will always love you, even when my teeth fall out and my hair turns grey. For absence makes the heart grow fonder, does it not?

But I see that instead of lamenting your passing, I can reminisce about the memories. Instead of crying because it’s over, I can smile because it happened.

This is the first time I’ve been able to think of you without feeling sharp stabs of sorrow in my heart, without tears brimming in my eyes. I’m finally at peace. I hope you are too.

I’m letting go.

Love, Rajan

A/N: Hiii! I wrote this for an English project I need to submit at school, so I'd really love it if you gave me suggestions on how to improve it. Thanks!

Fri May 19, 2023 8:10 am
alpacaboss says...

This short piece of fiction contained an incredible amount of emotion. I love how each sentence and word mattered to the story. The flow and cohesiveness of the story is also wonderful. For a story this short, it contained the wonder of love, the gravity of death, and the life lesson of letting go. I applaud your work done here! The last three words of the letter hit especially hard. "I'm letting go." It is a wonderful conclusion to the torrent of emotions introduced in this story. Like a boat that has just sailed a stormy sea, you gave a satisfactory and beautiful ending to what we have read. For me, I would have loved to see more vivid examples of Rajan's "worst days of his life" as I believe that will add to the impact of the story. Overall, great job to you! :)

Phillauthet says...

Fri May 19, 2023 8:10 am
alpacaboss wrote a review...

Phillauthet says...

Thanks for reviewing!!

Thu May 18, 2023 3:00 am
SkyVibes wrote a review...

Wow. Just wow. This is so sweet. I love how you carefully added bit by bit how Rajan's story was going. I love the wording you chose to describe the wife. Words have such power and reading that the wife died hurt. I like how you write that after she died he also died bcs she was his life. That's so sweet.
When he felt peace. Ah. That was perfect. I love this letter it's so nice.
Being that you probably already gave in the assignment and already recieved the grade by now, I hope you got a really good grade because you really deserve it. This is so beautifully written!!

Phillauthet says...

Thank youuu for the review! I haven't gotten my grade yet, hope I get a good one! :D

SkyVibes says...

You welcome!
Crossing my fingers with you for that good grade!

Wed May 10, 2023 7:26 am

First Impression: This was quite the piece here. For being as short as it is, it packs quite the punch here and you do a great job establishing this relationship and showcasing just how powerful it was. I think the only thing that felt like it could do with a bit of extra fleshing out is a slightly deeper dive into quite how bad things good before Rajan was able to move on but otherwise it all works really nicely.

Oooh I wasn't quite sure what to expect when the topic of polaroids was brought up like that but I am already loving where we're headed with this one. It seems like we're going to be taking a beautiful little trip down this person's memory lane here and this opening is already beautiful. Let's see where this is going.

Oooh well this is just heightening the already sweet notes that have been very prevalent in this particular scene. It looks like we're seeing quite a beautiful little love story taking place here. Given how wholesomely this is going so far I'm starting to now get a tiny bit paranoid about how this ends though.

Well this is just somehow managing to get sappier and sappier as the pictures go on. I love how much of a story you manage to tell just through the pictures here. The simple descriptions of where everyone in the photo happens to be seems to speak volumes in terms of the kind of progress this happy family made in life.

There are no more Polaroids.

Oh dear well this is what I was worried about. Right as we get to the highest point of cute things, it seems we've run into a bit of a roadblock on the polaroids and I have to assume that this can only really be leading us towards one conclusion here.

Well that ended as I was expecting it to. A very powerful moment this one. For a story this short where we really have hardly any time to get to know these characters it hits really hard. I think you've done an excellent job setting this all up earlier with all those pictures to get us to a point where we're getting so much emotion coming through in this particular scene.

Ooooh well this is a good sign. It seems we're not simply going to end on things going so horribly wrong but rather our main character here seems to be slowly healing and learning how to deal with this in a much healthier way than what we've seen up to this point. This is adding a lovely extra layer to those polaroids too and I'm loving it.

I’m letting go.

Love, Rajan

Well that's a lovely little sign off there. I especially loved the last line you chose there. I think its perfect in terms of showcasing what Rajan needs to do there and on the whole it turns out really quite powerful in the end as well.

Overall: Overall I think you've done a really great job here to construct the idea of this beautiful little family and then show us the little journey that Rajan has to take to overcome the tragedy of having that family torn apart by Death. I think the only possible improvement I see is to make the section of how this affects Rajan just a little more fleshed out.

Kate

Phillauthet says...

Thank you so much for the review! I didn't put detail into that part since I've already crossed the word limit, but I'll see what I can do :D

untrustingsemicolon wrote a review...

Hi there!
I really enjoyed this piece of writing. Your varied sentence structures and lengths, as well as the positive memories you wrote of created an emotional build-up and tone of optimism before the ultimate shift. I was extremely immersed at the very start and end of this piece, as intense emotion was most evident in those parts.

However, I feel that the part about losing a loved-one could include more explicit/descriptive mentions of emotion and inner-turmoil, so that the shift in tone is emphasised and therefore it would engender more of a emotional response from readers.

The way you progressed the plot while including such realistic thought-process resonated the best. I hope this helped in some way. Good job, I'm looking forward to reading more of your writing! :)

Phillauthet says...

The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances.
— Unknown