Home » Literary works » Other » General

Writing Troubles

by Penlorde

Writing Troubles

I flipped open my 11-inch macbook air and watched, as the familiar grey bitten apple logo pop on the screen. I turned the brightness down, I had gotten a bit carried away with last night's Sherlock marathon. I rub the sleep out of my red-rimmed eyes, it's far too early in the morning. Well, I can't go back to sleep, might as well do something. Let's see, there's Facebook, nah, I've exhausted youtube yesterday, and there's Pinterest. No, if I go on Pinterest I'll be gone for hours. Hmph, Summer is starting to get boring...

Young Writer's Association? I've been reading people's work for a bit, maybe I can start writing some of my own work. Yeah, That sound's like fun. What am I going to write about? A dark mysterious rainy day?

The storm had a mind of it's own. Uncontrollable, yet quick and agile, well aimed...

Nah. I can't get the feeling. Lovestruck teenagers?

Her eyes met my gaze. Scarlett rose to her cheeks and she had a sudden interest in her shoes. I know that trick, I do it too. She spares another quick glance but as soon as it met mine it darted away. Shy girl...

This is so unoriginal. What can I write about? Murder mystery?

His blood covered the carpet in explicit design, like abstract art. I watched as his family virtually collapse around him. I guess everyone has weaknesses. I left a neat puzzle at the crime scene. Find me...

This is getting no where!

The summer breeze caught me by surprise. No...

I can't remember what happened last night. I must have had one too many drinks. No.

The phone rang immediately after he left?

He scoffed at me, "Cat got your tongue?". No, no, no.

What do i write about!?!

...

I flipped open my 11-inch macbook air and watched, as the familiar grey bitten apple logo pop on the screen...

Yeah, I quite like that. How about that?

I flipped open my 11-inch macbook air and watched, as the familiar grey bitten apple logo pop on the screen. I turned the brightness down, I had gotten a bit carried away with last night's Sherlock marathon...

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:30 am
Anabelle says...

Oh my... so brilliant! Even some of the writings you discarded were good. This was very original and a great way to get out writer's block. Writing about writer's block while showing the writer's block because you had writer's block was genius (and kind of like Inception). :)

Also, showing all the ways to start off every genre of writing was a great way to be relatable, because we've all been there. I've enjoyed creeping.

One of, if not THE, best thing I've read on here.

XOXO
Anabelle

Penlorde says...

Oh hello again :D THANK YOU! This is great. We can keep creeping each other. Thank you thank you. :D

Anabelle says...

No problem! :)

Anabelle says...

No problem! :)

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:30 am
Anabelle wrote a review...

XOXO
Anabelle

Willard wrote a review...

Hey, yo, Penlorde! Strange here on this fantastic Review Day and I have a quick review for you!
This was interesting. I mean, we all get writer's block. Who doesn't get writer's block? Liars, that's who. I do like the idea of this poem. It is full of good intentions to be lighthearted and humorous. Does it land with other readers? Yes. Does it land with me?
Sadly, no.
I'll explain after a nitpick or two.

What do i write about!?!

Capitalize the I.
This is getting no where!

Nowhere is one word. Having the space in between them makes it seem like the writer is answering a question with a question.
This, isn't funny to me. I'm not really the target. I understand how this can be something the reader can relate to, but it doesn't hit it for me. Maybe the repetition of the laptop you own is the reason why. I like the format, but the humor just isn't there.
Overall, meh.
Strange gives you...
5.4/10
Good job,
Keep writing,
Stay groovy, my friend.

#TheFaultInOurReviews

Penlorde says...

Thanks for being honest :)

ScarletDreams14 wrote a review...

Look, writers block is normal. I've been writing about for, four years and I have the problem more often than not. It's painful, difficult, frustrating, and annoying.

I hate it.

It pisses me off, makes me want to punch a hole in my wall.
Ya, know?

Try re-inspiring yourself.

-Read, read, read, it might give you some ideas.

-Think of the different genres and styles. Horror, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Action/Adventure, Romance, Fiction, Non-fiction, Teen Fiction, Apocalyptic, Short-story, Long-story, Novel, Poem. I could go on forever.

-Look up on the internet for tips and such. Here is something that helped me.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/34-writ ... er-writer/

This site actually has ALOT of really useful stuff. Take a look.

Now, don't worry. It's normal for writers, even the best get it from time to time.
Sit down with a cup of coffee, pop, water, whatever you please. Good music if you like that. A piece of paper and 2 sharpened pencils or a computer program like Word or WordPad.

Try also joining http://www.deviantart.com/ Some of the art and writing on there may prove inspirational. Also start up with something short like a poem and such and work your way up.

Or

http://www.wattpad.com/home Lots of wonderful, inspirational stories. You can also post your own.

Practice, practice, practice.

Wither it's writing a letter to a friend or family member.
Writing an Essay.
Or even writing about your stressful day in a journal or a scrap of paper may help.

I hope I was useful, if you have any questions just ask or if you want more advice let me know.

Sincerely, @ScarletDreams14

Writer, Artist, Student, and Reader.

Corncob wrote a review...

Omigod, all I have to say is: I LOVE IT SO MUCH! Writer's block has become a rather cliche thing to write about, if I do say so myself, but you turned it into something original! I loved your story ideas! And the ending! THE ENDING! Every part of it was witty, entertaining, and humorous. The perfect length also. Keep writing! I think you're good at short stories, which requires a certain knack between not too long, and wow that was like a paragraph, and you have it. Congratulations!

Penlorde says...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! This means soooo much :D

Corncob says...

No problem! I know how good it feels to have people rant about how good your work is, so I try to do it as much as possible for others. You deserve it! :)

Cithara wrote a review...

I love it! I like how you just casually throw out lines from different genres. It's really good.
Only part I didn't understand:

What do i write about!?!

Maybe I'm just stupid, but maybe you could clear this up a bit and make it more concise. Are you just going through lines at this part, or are they all together another story like the mystery one or the romance one?
I think you did a good job overall--just maybe indicate which is a different story from the initial one: trying to figure out what to write about. ;)

Penlorde says...

Thank you for the feedback >.<

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:29 am
TiggaBiscuit wrote a review...

Hai! I'm Tigga; be afraid.

Okay problem one. You're using a mac... Just don't.

Also, one does not simply exhaust YouTube.

YouTube Fact Estimate

275 million videos (very, very rough) x 2.77 minutes = 761,500,000 minutes
761,500,000 minutes = 12.7 million hours

12.7 million hours = 529,000 days

529,000 days = 1450 years

Okay, now for reals.

I like the general description of the story it is good but could be improved.

I got a little confused here:

After that paragraph I was confused as to if you were talking about the story you were writing or yourself, you should try and separate those two more and make it clearer!

That's all for now! Keep up the good work!

Penlorde says...

Thank you ;)

Tiaradyson says...

But you do understand what she means by exhaust youtube... That phrase exhaust youtube is usually good for poems, Penlorde. nothing more.

TiggaBiscuit says...

I do understand. I was being a smartass...

Penlorde says...

Hahaha

Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
— Henry David Thoreau