z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

Foxglove Road - Chapter 5.2

by Panikos


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

The world is outlines. Outside of the gleam of his eyes and the paleness of his hair, I can make out only silhouettes, blocks where the darkness is thicker than others. The silence is so profound that I can hear the blood surging in my head.

“Where am I?” I whisper.

“Never you mind.”

I smell snapdragons, and then a foot grinds into my hand, making me gasp.

“Perhaps you might tell me where the riders are going, now?” he asks, his voice dangerously sweet.

“You had – your three questions”

“Yes, but I’m not asking anymore.”

“You said you’d leave me alone—”

“And that I did. Until you said ‘help me, help me’, and I valiantly stepped in to save you.”

He leans harder on my hand, crouching down and grabbing me by the jaw. His bitten nails press into my skin, and I spit in his face.

He slaps me so hard that the world cants sideways.

“That’s not a nice way to treat your rescuer,” he snarls, and he presses his whole weight onto my chest, crushing the breath out of me. His hands roam, catching hold of the notebook crammed under my arm. “You ran back to get this, didn’t you? Let’s have a look.”

How he manages to read it in this darkness, I can’t guess. But his restless hands flip through page after page, vigorously enough to tear the paper. I squirm under him, trying to free my pinned arms, but he keeps his legs clamped either side of me.

He rakes through the last pages like he’s shuffling cards. Then he stops.

“This girl,” he says, and he turns the notebook towards me. “Who is she?”

My blood runs cold. He’s stopped at a photo near the back, and I can just barely make it out – some Polaroid of me and Violet in the garden, tending the foxgloves with Mum. Violet must be about eleven, but she’s barely any different – still with that long, coal-dark hair, her round face and warm eyes.

“Friend of mine,” I spit out. “We go way back.”

But the faer’s face is alight with wonder. He looks to me, then to the photo again – squints to read something scrawled beneath the picture—

“I think,” he says, “that you’re a liar.”

And then he presses a hand over my mouth. The world shrinks to a tunnel, to a disc, to a pinpoint, and then it’s gone.

-

Mum is sitting at the table.

I’m alone with her, which makes my pulse spike. She’s got her hands lightly folded over each other, her skin pale against the wood. It’s old skin. Veiny, knotted, speckled like rotting leaves. I reach out to prod it, but she pulls her hands out of the way.

You have to find me, she says, in a voice that sounds like mine. Find me before he does.

I want to say that I don’t understand, but she reaches forward and presses her finger to my lips. I taste soil.

Find me, she says again.

Her other hand lifts, tracing the side of my face with feather softness. Something splinters inside me, and I lean into the contact. But then her fingers snap off under the weight of my head, and a breeze from the window tears her apart. She clatters across the table as a thousand leaves.

-

And I wake.

I can still taste soil on my tongue, along with something dirty and metallic. Hard floorboards press into my cheek, and one of my hearing aids is gone. I can hear a rumble that might be someone’s voice, but the details are sanded off. My eyes are too heavy to lift, my eyelashes gummed with blood from the cut on my forehead.

A hand grabs my shoulder, pushing me onto my back. Then it presses over my face and the heaviness lifts from my eyelids; I force them open to see the faer standing above me. He’s saying something.

“I can’t hear,” I croak. “My hearing aid—”

He pulls it out of his jacket pocket, eyeing it like a dead thing. My hand is leaden when I take it from him, clumsy as I slot it back in my ear – it lets out a whistle—

“Shut it up,” the faer mouths. “It was doing that before. I’ll take it away again.”

I scrabble, with stiff fingers, to secure it. The whistling quietens, but the faer still glowers. I know I should be taking stock of where I am – some half-lit box room, with an unmade bed in one corner – but every part of me is charged with fear. My cheek throbs with the force of the earlier slap, and my body is so sluggish that I can’t even raise my head.

The faer arches his eyebrow.

“The girl’s brother,” he says. “How different you both look. I didn’t even think you human, at least until you started telling lies.”

“I’m not a liar,” I say. “She’s my friend. That’s all.”

“God, you are tiresome.” He holds the notebook up. “It’s written here, in your mother’s hand. Yes, I know who your mother was.”

I grit my teeth. Some part of me wants to bite back with a comment about knowing his mother, in more ways than one, but my jaw hurts and I don’t want to be hit again.

“If you know who she was, you know I’ll be wanting that notebook back,” I say, even though I’m not sure I do now. “Give it to me, let me go, and I promise I’ll tell you where the riders are headed.”

The faer’s eyes flash. “What makes you think I need to know?”

“Maybe because you tried to beat the fucking info out of me—”

“And failed, by happy accident. You aren’t going to tell me where your sister is. You’re going to take me to her.”

I laugh, but it sounds strangled. "What, just like that? I don't even know where she is.”

“You do. Blood calls to blood - the route is in here.” He jabs me hard in the chest. “And you will show me what it is.”

My heart hammers. “You're sure about that, flower crown?”

He slaps me again, across the other cheek. There’s a twisty Christmas-cracker ring on his middle finger; the plastic jewel bites into my skin.

"I'm certain sure,” he says, putting his face close to mine. “You owe me a favour, little rat. Did I not save your life?”

“You tried to get me killed—

“I threw a stone, in frustration, and it clipped the icon – most unfortunate. I still might have left you, when the forest-faer came blundering through the trees, but I heard your cries for help.” His mouth quirks. “And I answered.”

He’s right. I can feel it in my gut – the sick, heavy feeling of owing. With it comes the seething rage that, under normal circumstances, I would stamp out by way of some short, sharp words, most of them rhyming with ‘runt’.

But the voice is whispering in the back of my head, with a tone like crackling leaves. Be careful, it says.

“Fine,” I say, swallowing. “Name your terms.”

“You will lead me to your sister, wherever she is. You will make no attempt to obstruct, delay, or prevent me. And—” he hesitates a moment “—you will do everything in your power to conceal your relationship to her from anyone who asks.”

Terms always come in threes. They can be as broad or specific as you like, but broad terms are open to exploitation and pitted with loopholes. He’s rehearsed these ones, thought about them carefully – far more carefully than the questions he asked me during the struggle by the stream.

“Anyone who asks?” I say steadily. “Who else is going to ask?”

His white eyes bore into me. “Do you accept?”

I glare up at him, pinned to the floor by my own lethargy. Looked at directly, there’s nothing terrifying about him. He’s just some fucking flower-crown twink in a pair of Adidas trainers. But shadows shift around him when I narrow my eyes, and his teeth are like thorns.

I lift my hand slowly. He grasps it in a crushing grip, and we shake. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 31520
Reviews: 415

Donate
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:37 pm
View Likes
keystrings wrote a review...



Hey Panikos! I've read bits of pieces of this story, but I don’t think I’ve reviewed on until now. ^^ I also wanted to help get this out of the Green Room while giving you some advice.

Obviously I’m jumping into a story so things are going to feel a little disjointed in my perspective. From what I’ve gathered, the main character/narrator is looking for his missing sister, and that she’s somehow linked to this faery world? (I’m spelling fairy as faery since you used “faer” unless there’s another way you want this to be written.) Plus that scene with his mom is fairly suspicious and interesting, and I’d be quite interested in how that dream sequence plays in with the main plot.

With this narrator, I feel like his character goes the line of not caring enough about his circumstances, to then simply be able to control all of his emotions to the extent of being seemingly unafraid in the face of this being beating him up, literally. I think what that feeling can come is that this is written in the first person, and we get a look at only his thoughts. I do find him interesting, especially in him lying that the picture contained his sister, and the fact that this faer person saved his life but then attacked him right after? This different realm seems quite cutthroat.

I do think this sets off a nice point in the apparent plot, as I could imagine the narrator learning more about this realm or about this faer at least, and I like getting the little bits of world-building here: such as the “terms always come in threes.” Plus that the “trail” to his sister is somehow inside of him? Ooh, I really do find this idea intriguing. Chapters like this one can feel a bit off, especially with all the dialogue, because the scene feels cut off/too short/or something similar, where it falls in the story itself, but I think this one is decent.

I like it. I’ll have to look at the other chapters as well XD




User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:39 pm
Elinor wrote a review...



Hey Pan!

Thought I would help get this out of the Green Room in the last bit that we have left of review day here (and you also get the honor of being my 1150th review - so yay!)

I enjoyed reading this chapter quite a bit. However, I will echo my comments from earlier chapters that I still think there seems to be somewhat of a disconnect, at least for me, as it pertains to this work. Your writing and character work is solid as always, but I can't help but feel like there is a piece of this story that I'm missing.

I don't doubt that you've done your preparation, but I still don't feel I fully understand the world I'm meant to inhabit in this story, which is a problem for being at the end of Chapter 5. Because of this, I feel disconnected from the story you are trying to tell. The narrator feels very passive and maybe that's supposed to be his character, but I wonder if there's a way for us to engage with him more.

Anyway, I hope I can get caught up with the last two chapters soon.

All the best,
Elinor




Panikos says...


Yeah, the main character feeling off is one of a few reasons why I shelved this. I'm hoping to come back to it someday, but I'm going to reapproach it and try and make his character far more active and defined. You give me too much credit by assuming I prepared - I totally leaped into this LMS without a proper outline xD

Thanks for the review!




You walk into this room at your own risk, because it leads to the future, not a future that will be but one that might be. This is not a new world, it is simply an extension of what began in the old one. It has patterned itself after every dictator who has ever planted the ripping imprint of a boot on the pages of history since the beginning of time. It has refinements, technological advances, and a more sophisticated approach to the destruction of human freedom. But like every one of the super states that preceded it, it has one iron rule: logic is an enemy and truth is a menace.
— Rod Serling