z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Foxglove Road - Chapter 1.2

by Panikos


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

Somehow, we get through the rest of the evening. Neither me nor Violet says anything more about Gran’s future. I say very little at all, because the TV is loud and it’s too much effort to follow the conversation. Violet goes to the kitchen twice, returning first with bowls of vegetarian shepherd’s pie, then with slabs of courgette cake – Gran insults each course, but eats every scrap as a matter of principle.

I bounce my leg on the velvet sofa, picking at the beads on the curtains, glancing at the bells strung from the window. When it’s finally, finally time to leave, Gran kisses the side of my hand and tells me to come see her tomorrow in an even sort of voice, as if the argument earlier never happened. Forgetfulness? No. This is how she’s always been.

I help Violet guide her to bed, into that stale, lavender water-smelling room. Mercifully, I’m excused from helping her change into her nightie. I go to stand outside in the drizzle, the uncut grass whipping my calves. It’s a long time before Violet joins me.

“You have to do that every day?” I ask.

Violet doesn’t look at me, busy locking the front door. “Sometimes a neighbour helps, or the butcher’s daughter comes down. But most days, yeah.”

“Christ,” I say. “Can’t go on like that.”

“I know. We can try talking with her again in a few days.”

My stomach squeezes at that, thinking about my return ticket. But I keep quiet. We go back through the gate – climb over, like when we were kids, because it’s easier than wrestling with the latch. Then we’re following the dirt track up the hill, to where everything is wilder and quieter, and there are ancient trees to shield us from the rain. It’s not forest, not quite – but it feels enough like one that my pulse jumps.

“God, you’re so twitchy.” Violet gives me a playful push. “It’s fine. We used to play here, remember?”

“Yeah, well, we had a collective IQ of twenty-five.”

Had?”

“Yeah. That was when we peaked. It’s twenty, now.”

Violet laughs; the noise sends a bird sputtering up from a nearby branch. She sounds out of practice at it.

“Can’t be safe here, though,” I say, nodding to a nearby faerie ring. Somebody’s left some sugar in the centre. “The bells went when I was up in the bathroom. I saw someone under the tree.”

Violet shrugs. “Gran’s way nearer the Road.”

She says it so casually. I wonder if I ever talked like that, so off-hand. I can remember playing here, swinging by my legs from the upper branches, heedless to how they creaked under my weight. It’d have been a dangerous thing to break one. Somehow I never thought of that.

We walk on. The shadows grow longer, the grass honeyed where the sunset hits it. Breeze rattles through the canopy, and Violet chatters about the village goings-on – the miller’s daughter’s son going missing, and all this fuss with a client who didn’t like her frock, and the dresses she’s just sent down the Road, one to be sold, the other enchanted—

“I got something enchanted for you, actually,” she says. “For your birthday.”

My heart sinks. Another thing to shove to the back of the wardrobe. “That’s a few months away.”

“Oh, you know me. Early to being early. And it’s better you have it for autumn, come to think of it. You can open it when we get back.”

My footsteps drag. “Back?”

“To the house.” She stops, wrong-footed. “I’ve got a room made up.”

I bite the inside of my lip. “I’m staying down at the B&B.”

Her shoulders sag. She’s almost thirty, but the hurt in her eyes makes a child of her. “What did you do that for? I said you didn’t have to.”

Something rises in my chest, half-anger, half-disbelief. I don’t have words for it. There’s only the memory of the house, with its stone walls and tiled roof and crooked chimney, the smell of the open fire and ancient wood. There’s my room, half the size of Violet’s. There’s the bed where Mum doesn’t sleep, and the patch of earth where she does.

“I hate the place,” I say. “You know I do.”

“It’s only a few measly nights.” Violet’s face is thrown into dappled shadow by the leaves. “I have to stay there all year round.”

I think of bathroom tiles, gleaming red. “It’s different for you.”

She seams her lips together. “Come for the evening, at least. I’ve rented some really shit horror films. And tons of strawberry laces.”

There’s a pleading note to her voice. Unlike Gran, she never brings up university, never addresses the missed calls and fleeting visits. She just talks to me like nothing’s changed, and I usually play along, because it’s easier for both of us.

But now, I shake my head.

Violet looks as if I’ve slapped her. Then she turns around and starts up the path, too quickly for me to keep up with. When we reach the fork, she carries on up the hill without looking back. I hesitate, watching her retreat – that cloud of charcoal hair; her flapping, hand-sewn skirt – and turn down the branching path to the village.

*

Darkness, stifling heat. I sleep fitfully, in and out and in and out, bouncing between dreams like I’m trapped in a bloody pinball machine. The bells, muffled by the curtains, are chiming, ring-ring-ringing—

No. Not the bells.

It’s my phone.

I jerk awake. First comes the tweak of pain in both ears – fell asleep with my bloody hearing aids in, like I don’t motor through batteries fast enough as it is. Then everything else settles into place - the room is dark angles and pitch, save for the square of light from my phone. The screen says ‘Sister’.

I swipe and put it to my ear.

“Hey,” I slur. “What’s wrong? What’s going on?”

Silence. I click my watch so the screen lights up – 2:04am, it reads.

“Sis?” My mouth is dry. “Are you there?”

The call ends. I stare at the phone, and Bowie stares back from my home screen, unimpressed. My hand trembles, whether from tiredness or unease I can’t tell. Barely a second later, the phone rings again, buzzing into my palm. I put it straight to my ear once more.

“Hello? What’s going on?” I swallow hard. “You’ve successfully ruined my beauty sleep, if that’s what you were going for.”

Silence, again. I can hear the rasp of my own breath.

And then something else – a faint chiming, a tingling of bells.

The call cuts off again.

*

I fell asleep mostly-clothed, which speeds everything up, but lacing my converse takes twenty years with my fumbling fingers. Can’t find my belt – where did I put the bastard? - so I just hobble along, holding my jeans up in my fist. No time to find my jacket, so I go without, even though the night air makes my arms prickle with goose bumps.

Don’t go out after dusk, Gran always said. Faers are bolder at night; it’s when they come to dance, and walk, and scoop up the fruit bread left on people’s doorsteps, the sugar in the faerie rings. I can’t remember if it’s because they draw power from the moon, or grow weak under the sun. There might be another reason entirely.

But I walk, regardless, sticking to the path. It’s harder to avoid the foxgloves in the dark, and there are so many of them. More than there were a few hours ago, I’m sure. I make it through the centre of the village, past the shuttered butcher’s and hairdresser’s and the fabric shop. The sky is awash with stars. The moon is a slither, smiling over the brow of the moors.

My legs threaten to slow down when I take the path back into the almost-woods. It’s too shadowed to see the track, but despite the years away, my feet remember where to place themselves. I keep glancing at my phone, but it stays silent. I call again, but it goes straight to answerphone.

The end of the track. The woods open out into a clearing and – there it is. The house. Squat, grey-walled, with its crooked chimney. My eyes automatically lift upwards, to the left, where Mum’s bedroom is. The small, frosted window of the en suite. Bathroom tiles, I think – a red like paint—

No. Not now.

I let myself through the gate. I can taste my own pulse. My fingertips press against the front door, gingerly, as if to check that it’s still solid.

It swings open, the hinges keening. It’s a coming-home-from-school sound, obscene under the moonlight. I look into the maw of the house and step inside.

“Sis?” I call, my voice shaking. “Sis? Are you there?”

I click the landing light on, which somehow makes it worse. The bulb turns everything into stark lines and bright surfaces, making it clear that she isn’t hiding somewhere in the shadows. Her shoes have been kicked carelessly against the stairs, her jacket slung over the bannister.

I turn into the living room. On the sofa, a half-empty packet of strawberry laces, spilling gritty sugar. The coffee table sits at a slanted angle, kicked out of place.

My eyes move to the table.

It’s meticulously neat, the coasters stacked, the little glass animals arranged from smallest to largest. At the centre of it sits Violet’s mobile, flashing with umpteen missed calls and texts.

And on top of the phone, a single foxglove. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 1356
Reviews: 83

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:46 pm
View Likes
MeherazulAzim16 wrote a review...



Hi Panikos!

Brilliant ending to the chapter. I'll just get to the points—

the TV is loud and it’s too much effort to follow the conversation


I was left wondering if Gran was being sarcastic about the hearing. So, for me, this part establishes that he needs the aids.

It’s not forest, not quite – but it feels enough like one that my pulse jumps.


I think this could've been phrased better but I loved it anyway. Establishes that despite whatever happened or whatever led to his leave, there's a part of his childhood that he misses — the weather, the trees and roaming around with Violet. This walk they took definitely reignited some of those memories.

“Yeah. That was when we peaked. It’s twenty, now.”


Good bit of humor! I enjoyed their conversation. In fact, their interaction up until the end is probably the best thing about the story thus far. It's honest. It's emotional.

Violet's character has definitely been more fleshed out in (1.2). I didn't get much of her or much sense of who she is in (1.1).

Violet laughs; the noise sends a bird sputtering up from a nearby branch. She sounds out of practice at it.


I like that you mention it. There are a lot of hints that imply Violet isn't happy where she is. Good character work. I feel empathy for her. I think that's what you went for in the end too. Made us feel empathy for her so we fear for her, feel for her later on. Cruel but effective.

the miller’s daughter’s son going missing, and..


Had me thinking alright, I got it, something's up in this village, developing toward something. It turned out to be foreshadowing for the chapter itself. Loved it!

I can remember playing here, swinging by my legs from the upper branches, heedless to how they creaked under my weight. It’d have been a dangerous thing to break one. Somehow I never thought of that.


P — as I'll continue to call the protagonist — has clearly gone through a journey/arc already. He used to be this carefree soul. Loving the trees, having fun. Whatever happened in the past — I like that you're keeping it a little mysterious — set him on a different path.

“It’s different for you” ... But now, I shake my head.


It feels cold. I can tell how badly Violet wants P to stay for the evening. It leaves the reader hurt/betrayed too (we still hope he changes his mind). We don't know what happened, but we can understand that P has a good reason for hating that place and that he is a much more resolute person now.

bouncing between dreams like I’m trapped in a bloody pinball machine. The bells, muffled by the curtains, are chiming, ring-ring-ringing—


I LOVE this. Dreams do feel exactly like that sometimes. But the best bit is the "ring-ring-ring-" Normally ring ring ring would induce the imagery of a phone in our head. You have developed the bells well early on—

No. Not the bells.


—that's why this bit lands. Subtle but beautiful.

And then we jump STRAIGHT TO THE SUSPENSE! The call.

Silence. I click my watch so the screen lights up – 2:04am, it reads.


I was like oh no.

“Hello? What’s going on?” I swallow hard. “You’ve successfully ruined my beauty sleep, if that’s what you were going for.”


You can feel how much, how desperately, P hopes this is a prank, even though he cracks a little joke.

I ending — the flower — sent chills down my spine. I don't have any complaints about (1.2) I'll probably keep on reading!

Hope it helps.

Excelsior!

~MAS




User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:39 pm
View Likes
Elinor wrote a review...



Hello again!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get through this, but I did make a promise to read through the rest of this work.

What I love most about your writing is how evocative it is. I definitely feel as I'm in this place with these characters at this specific moment in time, which is not an easy task to accomplish whilst writing prose.

I did read your commentary in regards to the last chapter about wanting the main character's identity to remain a mystery. I think it could work, but I'm mostly just curious to see how it plays out at this point. I do love a good unreliable narrator, and not being able to guess where the story was going.

This chapter in particular had a very old school mystery novel feel to it, which I liked. I almost wonder, comparing this with the last chapter, if there could be more of a sense of a dread. I like the world building, but it does take a little while to get to the disappearance, so maybe more of a sense that something was off would keep the reader engaged. Not that I wasn't already!

The other thing I would comment on is while I have a good sense of place, I'm unsure of the time period? I almost could see this taking place in the 1940s or 50s or even earlier, just from the way it's written and all unfolds. If it's modern day, is this area behind the times? What's it like to live in? What's going on the world that's affecting the characters? I don't think you should be too specific, but little details like this go a long way. I do notice Fantasy in the genre, so that's very interesting for me as well. :)

Great work! Can't wait to read the next one.

Regards,
Ellie




User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:14 am
View Likes
Ventomology wrote a review...



: O

Hello! I did, in fact, go and read 1.1, so rest assured I'm not completely in the dark! Let's jump into this.

1. Wow! There is just so much to unpack here. Honestly, more people should pick this up; the details given and withheld are so incredibly intentional, and the way the world gets revealed is so natural it's scary. I'm in love. Please tag me every week when you post new chapters omg.

2. The lead-up into Violet's disappearance is brilliant. I love how early it starts, and the consistency and added elements that build up into it. First the bells, then the phone, then the foxgloves. And it's fantastic that the signs of the fae show up in these kinds of otherwise innocuous background things like flowers and chimes (and two different sense too, nice). It allows that build-up to happen very naturally.

3. I am struggling real hard to find anything that could be changed, and I guess right now the only thing I have is that I agree with Liberty. It'd be nice to know the MC's name. You know, unless you're planning on never saying it because duh faeries. Actually that would be really smart.

Yeah. That's it! I really have nothing but compliments for this piece, and I'm very excited to see where you take it, now that the initial horror/suspense event has taken place.

Until next week,
-Vento




Panikos says...


Thank you so much!! I have actually been toying with the idea of not revealing the protagonist's name because, yeah, faeries - but I'm going to play that by ear. It might be a bit awkward for reviewers if they don't know what to call him xD But thank you so much - I'll definitely tag you in the next chapters.



User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:59 pm
View Likes
Lib wrote a review...



Hey Pan!

Hope you're doing well today or tonight depending on what side of the world you're on, obviously. I'm here to give you a (short) review. Let's get right into it, now shall we? Alright!

So, I like this piece, and I wonder why I haven't read the first part. Do you mind tagging me next time for this story? I'd be glad to read it! It already sounds absolutely fantastic! ;)

And our narrator seems to have history with Violet's house and foxgloves. He seems to have some problems with the woods, and even Gran. It gave me chills when you mentioned the bathroom covered with red. It reminded me of It (the movie); if you've watched it, you'd know why. xD

I do know that the first line of the first part of this first chapter said "This is how I know I'm home. Nobody asks my name." Something of that sort. Well, guess what? I don't think you're at home when I ask you what your name is, because that's the first thing I ask when I meet people. So, I really hope that you'll tell us your MC's name soon, Pan!

Like I said before, I like the plot so far. I didn't see any grammar, punctuation, or spelling problems, so great job! Keep it up, fren! :)

That's it for my totally lengthy review. I hope this helped in one way or the other. I can't wait to see the next chapter!

And as always...

Keep on writing!

~Liberty





No matter what happens I'll always know there's a quote of mine in the YWS quote generator.
— looseleaf