z

Young Writers Society



Hidden Holding Hands

by NightsInWhiteSatin


Hidden Holding Hands

-

I miss the softness of your cheeks

Our secret smiles among the crowds

And all our hidden holding hands

Among the gossip and the little talks

Surrounding our secret lives

-

I miss our love without a name

The closed door and opened wine

The times when our problems felt so small

And all our worries, shut behind that door

All it took was your passionate embrace

-

Now there's distance, there's regret

A cold sweat and trembling fear

Will there still be love, once you're near?

I'm haunted by the words I shouldn't have said

And the choices I made too late


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
286 Reviews


Points: 625
Reviews: 286

Donate
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:27 am
View Likes
silented1 says...



This communicates a good experience. The shut door line was good. If you made more comparisons to other things it would work so well. Good job.






It is what it is, thanks a lot silented1 ^^



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 137
Reviews: 7

Donate
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:23 am
View Likes
sakeofvanity05 wrote a review...



~ vanity here with a review!
first of all, the mood you've set from the get-go: I'm already enamored.

I miss the softness of your cheeks

Our secret smiles among the crowds

And all our hidden holding hands

Among the gossip and the little talks

Sorrounding our secret lives


^the brief-setting background behind the characters pulls me into a scene played by two furtive lovers, with unspoken exchanges only meant for each other, as I receive a tight-knit feeling that their worlds revolved around each other. As if it's an "us-against-the-world" kind of state of mind; the rest of the crowd doesn't concern them. They seem unbothered by such trivial notions, trapped only within their bubble of intimacy.

I miss our love without a name

The closed door and opened wine

The times when our problems felt so small

And all our worries, shut behind that door

All it took was your passionate embrace


speaking of intimacy~!
the transitioning description of the couple delves deeper into their relationship, giving insight into their lives for the readers to follow. There is clearly a special bond shared between them; however~ I find that your phrasing can be misconstrued with the opening line of your second stanza. "I miss our love without a name." < to me, that sounds like the two parties involved don't like to be confined by "labels" and societal norms, but then you go on to say: "The closed-door and opened wine," < which gives off the impression of a more exclusive relationship, leaning more towards their connection, solely, and so the imagery of a closed door doesn't seem to mix well with what appeared to be the thoughts behind the narrator.
~ Their voice almost sounds like subtext, but usually, when pairing visuals, ideas/themes should match with the image you're trying to paint in readers' heads.
~ When I read 'shut doors' (after the previous line), I find myself thinking of monogamous relations, and how they have sealed themselves away from all others to be with themselves. But I understand what you were going for~ with the little romantic retreat these two people partook in; nonetheless, poems tend to have a metaphorical meaning behind them, and less 'literal,' I suppose... Its freeform writing gives way to an exploratory design of language. Be careful with the literal visuals and metaphorical symbols you're conveying. The message might be lost along the way.

Now there's distance, there's regret

A cold sweat and trembling fear

Will there still be love, once you're near

I'm haunted by the words I shouldn't have said

And the choices I made too late


^ this stanza had beautiful imagery. If I could make any suggestions, it would probably be more of a stylistic choice than general writing feedback, but it's up to you! I find that the last two lines aren't as natural as they could potentially be. I was thinking along the lines of something more like:
"I'm haunted by the moments spent
With words I'd never meant, yet had them said.

^ of course, this is just my preference.

~ in summary, I very much enjoyed the piece!
I can tell you have a knack for story-writing, so I'd encourage writing narrative structures because they would likely suit your more-literal style of writing. I would love to read said works of yours.

:} I hope this review helped !






Thanks so much vanity. Speaking of love without a name, sometimes even with the feelings there you're just not ready to call something by its name, it's complicated I guess.





that's true... feelings are messy sometimes xd :]}



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 893
Reviews: 7

Donate
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:00 am
View Likes
fructose wrote a review...



Hi!!
I’m not going to send a lengthy review on all the flaws of your poem, because there really isn’t much. I haven’t written a review in a while, so bear with me please!!

I really like the way you told a story in this piece. “..our secret lives,” tells a story within itself, along with the ongoing “I miss you” idea. Correct me if i’m wrong, but from my perspective, it tells a story of lovers of long distance, or those who love each other but are forbidden to see one another, or maybe that they have just been through a breakup, etc. Whichever way this concept was intended to her perceived, I really enjoy it. The amount of thought that went into this idea is very admirable!!

The only things i’ve noticed that could’ve been mistakes are lines with possible grammatical punctuation errors or spelling mistakes. For example, in the last line of the first stanza, the word “Sorrounding” may have possibly been misspelled. Maybe you had been going for “Surrounding” instead?? Remind me if this is a mistake, but the third line of the last stanza would have possibly been missing a question mark? This could be a misinterpretation, but “Will there still be love, once you’re near” sounds more of a question to me rather than a statement, although I could be wrong.

Overall, I really enjoyed this poem, I don’t have many complaints of it. It is very lovely to me, you should be proud of your piece. You seem like a wonderful artist, keep doing what you love :))






Long distance is about right. She went to the army. Funny how times change isn't it? A few decades ago she'd be here and I would be the army man. Anyway, thanks a lot for the review fructose



User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 287
Reviews: 65

Donate
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:23 am
View Likes
pineapple321 wrote a review...



Hi, MellyBourne, Pineapple here for a short review!

First, I absolutely enjoyed reading your poem. It was beautifully crafted and totally relatable. At the end you sort of left on a cliffhanger, asking a question. My favorite line was "our secret smiles among the crowd". I loved it because it shines a light on such innocent love.

My only critique is that there was a little typo at the end of the first stanza, I think you meant "surrounding". I don't have much other critiques.

Overall, I thought it was very well-written and I can't wait to see more of your writing!

Signed,
Pineapple






Thanks pineapple, I appreciate it.

P.S. not sure I'd call that love innocent haha




Adventure is worthwhile.
— Aesop